Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in Anchorage for six years and I would go back today if I could.  God I loved that place.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only been to Juno and completely loved it. Go. If it doesn't work out, move back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
At least they don't have any gay cowboys there
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I love reading the bullshit misconceptions those in the LESSER 48 have about Alaska.

~Dg84

Right!  I doubt any of them have even been to Alaska.  I loved it there, hopefully I will get to go back, forever!!

Travis
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Economy sucks....
Good women....far and few between as they are all "Queens of the double wide".
Lots of drug use.  Lots of alcoholics.  Cost of living is high.  It isn't that cold up here.  Its 35 degrees as I right this.  Its been raining the past couple of weeks.  It was raining in Jan up on the North Slope "Kuparuk".  There isn't any 6 months of light and 6 months of night crap...unless you work up in the northern areas.

If you come...bring a job and a woman and don't plan on being able to keep either one.

I love the fact that I can get Title 2 weapons.

Lived here since '74
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My fiance has been up 3 times already and loves it.  she's going back this summer with her dad on a church thing.
I was gonna try and go but i've got OBC at Ft. Leonard Wood from may-sept. and we gettin married in october so no time/money to make the trip.  

with my luck my unit will get deployed between the time I get done with OBC and the time I'm gettin married.  that's gonna be awesome...

which parts of AK do you guys live? and what exactly do you do job-wise?   where's the opportunities for jobs up there?
I was thinking about gettin my BLET and going leo if i stay here in NC -- any of you LEO in AK?  I had looked at the AK state troopers, but like you all said, I should visit it a few times before I commit.
Anybody wanna let me stay with them for a bit sometime?
My fiance's family knows some people in Nikiski that would probably let us stay with them... just need to find the time and money.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alaska is fucking awesome. But be warned--The women seem to be even more insane, alcoholism and substance abuse is extremely common, and there are a lot of criminals there, cause thats as far as a man can get from his past without leaving the US.

Like I said, its fucking awesome. I like going there to hunt, stand in the daylight at 0200, and make shitloads of money (legally) in a short amount of time. There is an energy in Alaska that I have never found in the Northwest. Here it feels like the light saps the strength from my body. There, I feel energized.

What kinds of jobs pay shitloads?  

Mining is on the upswing in AK as of late.  Gold is trading at over $500.00 an ounce, and they've got gold up there.  What's that old song, "North, to Alaska....."?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
ALASKA KICKS ASS! Its the most beautiful place on earth, and has some of the toughest people I've met.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Mosquito's and gnats

WBK
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
ahahha what's the name of that song?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ahahha what's the name of that song?

"Don't Go Near The Eskimos"

Sheb Wooley

When he was doing his spoof songs he used the name Ben Colder

www.luma-electronic.cz/lp/c/Colder/colder1.htm
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
tag.

it's very likely that i'll live/work in alaska at some point.

it seemed pretty cool when i visited there.  obviously, things are VERY spread out, driving to see all the different sights took a looong time. rained a hell of a lot.  winters must be tough.  although the place is obviously huge, it didn't seem to have the "wide open spaces" where you can see for miles and miles which i love so much about the lower western states.  thats probably an inaccurate perception however because i spent most of my time there in densely mountainous areas.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No women...........

That's a deal breaker right there.........

Roger that!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 15 years ago, I heard a statistic that there are 25 single, available men in Alaska for every single, available female.

Depends where you are.
If you hang around the coastal towns, its fairly normal.
As you go into the interior, things get weirder.

+ 1  never have problem meeting women, then again i live in Anchorage and UAA  has lots of Fine looking ones
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
So, you just about to graduate and you want to live somewhere where there is less pie than normal?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top