Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Back in my college days I was hunting squirrels in a hardwood forest on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula.  I saw a gray squirrel scamper up a hemlock tree so I walked over to the tree looking for a shot.  The squirrel climbed to the bushy top of the tree and was bouncing back and forth among the branches.  I took aim at a flash of squirrel in a small opening in the hemlock boughs and fired the 870 Wingmaster.  Down tumbled the dead squirrel onto the forest floor.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered the the dead squirrel was red, not gray!  Here, I shot an innocent bystander in the tree.  Just to be fair, I waited out the gray and ruined his day too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Jan 01 last day of deer season. I was walking thru the woods. I saw 3 geese flying over head. I drew back my bow and shot. The arrow went thru all three geese. One flew into a tree and knocked off a branch that fell down and hit a 8-pt buck. Knocking him out. as I went down to gut out the buck I fell into a river and when I came out I had a 12 lb walleye in my jacket.
It's all true. Honest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I remember now. Wasn't Britney Spears in your tent that night asking you to take her cherry?
No,
  It was Katie Holmes and Sara Michel Geler wanted to make a Big John Sandwich.
 One time I was pheasant hunting and my dog flushed a big roster into a telephone pole it hit the pole and knocked itself out.  The farmer asked why he didn't hear any shooting I told him I was using the new kind of silent ammo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My best shot was in a duck blind. I had a model 12 win, 12 ga, full choke, 2 3/4 high brass. Off in the distance, what looked like 60-80 yards up, incoming ducks flying right at the blind. I Held gun at about 75 degrees and waited for the ducks to get closer. I figured the lead and fired, the duck flew right into the shot path, couldn't believe it. My buddies mouths dropped down to the floor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Many years ago as a teen, me and a buddy went out to a field plinking with our .22s.  My friend went out about 75 yards and set up a bunch of cans and bottles all fancy like.  He cam back and started to load his gun.  I pulled out my Marlin 70 and wasted his targets with 8 perfect shots.  He was pretty chapped up.  I couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Shot 2 "robin hoods" at 40 yds with an Oneida Black Eagle bow. Used 28" Gold Tip 7595's carbon arrows 125gr field points. (3 shots/ target)

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my first Hotpoint stove - right through the front right burner - with my Model 94. I was sitting on the floor ejecting rounds, didn't even aim....missed my brother though - he was taking a shower on the other side of the wall. Scared the SHIT out of him!
Actually my BEST shot was the one that brought our daughter into this world![sex]
I do have one of those BB gun stories from long ago. Snapshot and a kill on a centipede in a dry river bed in Sanderson, Tx. from about 8 feet(?). My brother jumped out of the way just in time.
Damn! Ole Duane sure is one lucky son-of-a-gun when he's around me![uzi][bounce]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
My best shot was when I put the 10th round out of my PSS so that it touched all the others in a ragged hole.  Okay, a really ragged hole.  About a nickle.

My LUCKIEST shot was when I shot at an arrow I stuck into the ground at 100 yards with a Ruger #1 300 win mag with open sights.  And even though it didn't even wiggle, I put a hole directly in the center of the shaft (no not horizontally jeez).

You're best is something you can reproduce when you shoot at your best.  The rest is just luck.

Please..... If you shoot ammo that can perform about 1/8MOA, out of a rifle that shoots 3/4 MOA and you usually shoot 1 moa...  Don't consider it skill when you shoot a 3 shot group in the same hole.

The gods were with you, nothing more.

Yea, I know, I'm a spoil-sport.  What the hell.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Was about 13-14 years old, out dove hunting with my Dad.  I had only taken a shot or two all day, as they were too damn fast for me to track.  Dad on the other hand has close to his limit.

As we come to the top of a hill, there's sound off our left - I turn and they're level with us, already flying past.  I bring up my 1100, pull off a shot, and one goes down.  Dad didn't even have time to shoulder his shotgun.

Was the only bird I got that day, but I, and my Dad, was damn proud of it.

The other shot was at my Maltese.  She was out in my backyard, taking a dump.  When she was done, I called to her to come inside.  Instead of coming inside, she just stood there and looked at me, which pisses me off to no end.

Nailed her with a shoe, from about 30 yards away.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#9]
14 years old, Crossman 760 BB Gun...  100 yards, still air, killed a 2" Sparrow atop a tree...  I aimed high above the bird and could actually see the shiny copper BB as it reflected in the sunlight as it arched through the air.

M.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
The shot on the whitetail that got me started in long distance shooting some 10 years ago.  I jumped a herd of deer out of some rhododenron just below a ridgeline, and the herd ran down hill.  I waited and sure enough, they started up the other side and stopped about 300 yards across the ravine.  I could just see a large deer's body through the branches.  I was using my Dad's Pre-64 Win 70 300Weatherby.  I knelt and held on the spine and hit the deer in the lungs and heart with a 220 grain round nose.  When I got over there, the bullet had taken a fist size hole out of the bottom of the chest and there was about 9 square yards of blood and lungs, and the deer was amazingly about 50 yards up the trail.  I was hooked.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]
about a week ago I was in my backyard and there were some buzzards circling my yard.My daughter has a little 3month old Jack Russel that we had not seen in a few days and were worried was dead or stolen.I saw those buzzards circling around and started to get mad thinking that puppy was dead and that I was going to have to hide it from my daughter but sure as hell wasn't going to let the buzzards eat it's carcass.I had my Glock 17 on me and fired a shot to scare them away and one of them acted like it might have gotten close to him.I thought about it for a second lined one up at about 100ft up led him about 4 feet and POP I killed that buzzard with one shot.He plummeted to earth about 75ft away with a hole right through his chest center of mass.So that means dead center hit at a target moving 35miles per hour,100ft in the air with a 9mm Glock 17C.Thats my best pistol shot.

My best rifle shot is harder to judge.If you count target shooting I would have to say that putting a single centered hole through a shiny new quarter at 200yds is the best shot I have ever made with iron sights.It was perfect.The sun hit the quarter and the glare looked like a little diamond gleaming on the tip of my sight and I hit it on the second shot and the gleam dissappeared.I had to look all over the place for it because it had come loose of the piece of gum that was holding it to the target but I found it and it now on my keychain.

all in all I guess that's pretty good but my friend Jeremy Morrison was out in the yard one day testing some relaods in his .45 long colt and these bees came around and he was shooting atg them with shot shells.He was near the end of the shot shells and a bee landed on a piece of plywood about 10ft away and he aimed at it and BANG he shot that damned bee!There was a hole in the board and a piece of the bee with a leg still attached on the edge of the hole.I have never gotten over how funny that was to me even 10 years later.

SOPMODM4A3
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably my BEST shot ever was with a BB gun!  My friend and I were shooting his Daisy pump BB gun in his back yard when we were about 12 or 13 years old.  

The Chinese Tallow trees were starting to turn color, so we would pick out a yellow leaf and identify it to the other and then hit it.  Well, not to brag, but because I had been shooting rifles with iron sights (NOT BB guns) for many years already, this was too easy.

SO, I pointed out a leaf about 30 feet above us and said "I am going to knock that leaf down by shooting the stem."  He laughed as he only had iron sights and BB's aren't exactly accurate.  ANYHOW, I was the one laughing when my first shot popped the stem and brought that leaf and one attached to it where I had hit the stem.

I felt I had gorilla balls, and he agreed.  Like others have said, I didn't make any more shots that day to ruin the legend brought on by luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The target...about the size of your thumbnail,
Distance...75 to 80 feet,
Crossman BB rifle..1 shot..dead on.
Only problem was the target was the lighted dial of the brand new T.V. in the living room.
View Quote

Ummm, either you had a HUMONGOUS house, or your range estimation is way off.

I own a 2500 sq.ft house and I don't think there is an 80 stretch anywhere in the place.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
This  thread deserves some fresh posts.....and I remembered my "STUPIDIST LUCKY SHOT".  I was about 10 and we were visiting cousins in the Blue Ridge Mountain area of West Virginia.  My brother was about 400 yards (from what I remember, I was 10 for goodness sake, it was WAY OFF!!!)  Anyway I was shooting my cousin's lever action Daisy Red Rider (200fps i think it said) any way..... aimed probably 30degrees above my brothers head and nailed him dead in the back!!!   Boy I sure got the shit beat out of me for that!

Anyway, that was in my stupid days. . . actually was first time I had been introduced to guns, and no adult supervision is BAD for a first timer  ;p

[frag]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My brother Gregg and I shot all the pecans out of my dads pecan tree one day before he came home from work, hundreds!.  At around 40-50 feet with BB guns.  After one hell of an Ass busting we still thought we were pretty good shots.

Sometimes you gotta laugh.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I've made many.Most of them were witnessed by someone else.
None of you would probably believe me about any of them though.
So I will refrain from recounting them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
About 20 years ago went with local cops to airport (didn't have a range) to shoot a few rounds.   Hung the plastic lid off a tennis ball can on a limb at 100 yards for 1 fellow to shoot with his rifle.   Was bet I couldn't hit plastic lid with my series 70 Govt. .45.   1st shot went dead through middle and I IMMEDIATELY holstered the gun ( if you don't they ask you to do it again.)    Tried it again later when I was by myself and couldn't hit within 10 feet of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]
JMO thats good, I bet they laughed.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#19]
A number of years ago I was riding around a S. Texas deer lease with 3 guys in an open jeep.  2 guys in front, and me and a young guy with an SKS or some other oddball evil gun on a tuna tower seat in back.  The SKS kid spots a jackrabbit and tells the driver to stop.  He then caps off 8 or 10 rounds at the jack, and since all his shots miss by close to a foot he does nothing but chase the jack from 20 yards from the jeep on his side around to 50 yards away on my side.  He finally stops firing, I guess out of embarrassment at how lame his shooting is.  I feel kind of sorry for him, but get a wild hair and say "I can miss at least that well...", pull out my 8" bbl. Dan Wesson .44 Mag, hold a touch high and squeeze one off at the profile of the jack through a hole in the mesquite brush.  Blam! The jack does a double sideways somersault as the bullet hits home.  Everyone yells "What a shot!" and jumps out of the jeep to check the jack.  I had hit him a perfect front shoulder shot right on the point of the shoulder.  "Of course, right where I was aiming," I said, but I was as surprised as anyone.  Since it was a .44 hollowpoint there was no front shoulder left on the back side of the unfortunate jack.  My shot was the talk of the weekend and my hat size increased three sizes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Running rabbit with a piece of coal at about 50 feet. My brother and I were cleaning out the coal room, took a break,(Dad had to go to the hardware store,HAHAHA)and went outside. We were throwing coal at the treeline and scared up a rabbit. So I launched a nice chunk, watched it do that big outside curve that coal does, and swing back in and roll poor Bugs. My brother was speechless. I acted like"Yeah, I'm the SHIT!" We still laugh about that one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#22]
This was a miss, but still, a really good shot!While out tree-rat (squirrel) hunting, I spotted one of the little fiends running from tree to tree, so I swung my shotgun up, giving a little lead. As secret squirrel leaped from one tree to another, I fired and missed him (led just a little too much), but shot the branch he was jumping onto out from under him. The result? Mr Squirrel died of a broken neck sustained when he fell. He did indeed beat his intended LZ to the ground, too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Pre 64 Model 70 in 300 H&H Magnum 150 grain.
One whitetail at 465 yards and another whitetail at 495 yards. Shot them both through the heart, different seasons. They were both standing broadside. They are my longest heart shots.

Shot many running whitetails with the 300 H&H as far as 500 yards away.

My farthest whitetail kill standing broadside was 690 yards with the 300 H&H.

Shot a whitetail standing broadside 204 yards away with iron sights on a model 94 30-30.
My dad almost had a heart attack when he saw me drop him.

I have never ever missed a deer. I have killed 29 deer with 29 shots. Most of them with the 300 H&H.

I have shot well over 200 coyotes with a 25-06. I have missed a few of them running many hundreds of yards out there. Those coyotes can be a sonofabitch trying to hit when they are running long range.

All true, no bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Hip shot on a thrown clay pigeon with my Oly CAR-15. Never been able to do it again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#25]
My luckiest shot, I mean best shot, was a totally free handed shot with a 7mm mag, 375 yds (and yes we measured it), at a 6 pointer.  I seen him at the back of the bean field while walking down the edge of the field with a climbing stand on my back.  He stood up in the beans and I could just barely make out his upper body and head.  Any way, I held 3" over where I thought the lung area was and yanked the trigger. (I'm a yanker not a sqeezer)  The 165 grain bullet flew straight and dropped him with a shot through the heart.

And yeah, it was a luck shot, no doubt!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#27]
My best shot so far has been with my Marlin 22mag with 3-9x scope.I killed a crow from 150 yds. in a beanfield.For a cheap gun I sure am impressed with it's accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Most are not going to belieave this and I don't blame ya. I had a doe tag this year, the only Doe I saw was at 450 yards according to my scope. It was a cross a canyon and down hill, I set the scope for 350 yards and held on her neck, supported across a tree trunk. I fired she FELL and stayed down. It took almost 2 hours to get to her, with a guy staying across the canyon directing us with a radio. I am not sure it was the best shot, it was the luckyist I ever made.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I was 6 years old.  Daisy 99 BB gun. About 35 yards. My brother bet me all the money in his pocket that I couldn't hit a quarter off the tree branch (our "shooting tree").  My mom was with us as an impartial judge and bet "enforcer".

I hit the quarter with a "kaping" and made a nice dent right above Washington's head.

My brother cried because he had over 5 bux in his pocket (which was a lot for a kid).  Mom made him pay up.

I still kid him about it to this day.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Hit a crow in the eye at 525yds with my "rubber-band" gun.

hehehehehe
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Shot a nickle at about 30 paces w/a .22  rifle.put it up in a joshua tree in the Y, and still have the nickle,it didn't penetrate but put a big ass dent on georges face about half inch deep.Had the squashed .22 until I lost it a while ago.The coin was very obviously shot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#32]
This summer my friend and I set up one of those big coffee cans(you know the ones with the coffee grains in it).  At 85 yards we had my single shot .22 topped with a 3-7 Bushnell scope.  I was watching with my Bushnell 15-45x spotting scope.  Anyway we had fired a few shots having no trouble shooting this can around.  My friend says "hey watch this I'm gonna pop the lid off".  Anyway I watch through the scope and the lid flies right off!!.  We go to look at it and there is a 3 inch "skid" mark left by the bullet!  And get this this, I grabbed the gun and did the exact same thing next shot with another longer skid mark!!  What a riot that was.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
My best shot without a doubt occurred in Cambridge, Mass...On St. Paddy's Day some years back. My brother and I had in-law had stopped in for a pint at the 'Plow and Stars' around two in the afternoon,ten hours and many pints later we found ourselves standing on the table in the jam-packed bar singing the Clancy brother's tune, 'Johnny we hardly knew ya'. After a thunderous ovation, I felt a pressing need for relief, I wobbled over to the 5'x2' day glow black men's room, which by now had two inches of piss on the floor and a busted lightbulb. The door was open because it was over occupied and three guys were standing in mess spraying and praying. I stood on the wooden threshold that was acting as a liquid dam and took proper aim,carefully waiting for the proper nozzle pressure to build, calculated the pressure loss for 3/4" hose, and fired from a good five feet from 'booter'...Direct hit in the 10 ring, and another round thunderous applause, and another Guinness, Gov......This ain't no Bullshit
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]
It was while hunting squirels...I was 17 then...I made my way into the woods.  Found a dry ravine.  The plan was to chill out for about 30 to 45 minutes and let the varmits move back in.  It was early, I was alone.  I started to doze off a little.  All of a sudden a noise get's my attention.  Is that a deer, or a person?  I had a 20 guage shotgun.  I always liked it to pick off squirels high in the treetops...Man that damn deer didn't wind me at all.  Words can't really describe what happended next.  It was a 7 point buck, that poor guy walked right up towards that dry ravine.  He steped right over in front of me.  I shit you not, his front legs buckled and he had a noticable ohh shit look in his eyes.  He wasn't more than 3 feet from me.  I blasted him square in the chest.  I couldn't move from the adrenelin shock for what seemes like forever but was probably only a moment.

Most kick ass shot I ever took.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#35]
first one:  I'm plinking with a 1911 next to a friend who's shooting clays at the farm we hunt
when he dares me to try the .45 on a pigeon so I say pull and dump a clip at it (good backdrop) He says I can't hit shit, I say f*** off and pull as I slam a fresh clip in and hit the slide release while he's pulling the cord at the same time, second shot drilled it. I still look at him and say "kiss my ass Kenny"

Second one: I'm squirel hunting when a flock of starling land all around me and I can't hear any thing so I shoot straight up with my 16 Ga to scatter them and one lands about 10 feet in front of me.

Third one is a friend who tooh the head off a grouse at 100 yards with an iron sighted .308 but the best part was the non hunting guy out with us trying to catch a headless grouse that didn't know it was dead and insisted on trying to fly.

I forgot the best one, the guy that owns the farm is sitting in a tree stand and his 45-70 is just leaning against the trunk when a squirel comes down and sniffs the barrel, well Jim just reaches over and yanks the trigger.  To date he still can't find a match to that squirel sock he brought back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#36]
While being chased by a jeep full of bad guys, I was able to shoot the "open" switch for an electronic gate a few hundred meters ahead with my preban stainless mini14.  Funny that I was never able to hit the bad guys?
              Hannibal Smith, A-Team.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I zeroed my scoped .22 Rimfire at 100 yards, with bulk hollowpoint ammo.  I then went out jackrabbit hunting in the bone-dry Mojave Desert (my natural habitat).

I flushed a jack, which took off, in a wide circular gallop.  Meanwhile, I assumed a hasty sitting position and threw off the safety on my Norinco JW-22.  The jack slowed down, and stopped way past 100 yards because he saw no chase developing, and had run so far, he may even have lost track of me.  He sat stock still at aprox. 200 yards, no doubt eyeballing the whole area, waiting.

I took careful aim about a foot over his head, and took the shot.  I observed the bullet strike hit a few feet low, and the jack ran a few paces laterally, not changing the range apreciably.  Taking careful, clinical note of how much the bullet had dropped, I aimed that much higher, and beaned him on the second or third shot.

"It was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest deed I ever done."
--Tom Horn
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Well my best shot was oddly enough during hurricane Hugo. Remember that one?  There I was on the bow of my buddies 22 foot fishing boat just of the coast, wind was oohh about 120 mph swells in the neighborhood of 40 feet. Anyhow here I am with my Ruger single six .22 dropping sea gulls at an alarming rate. Finally my buddy, sick of watching my fine marksmanship, bets me I cant get one about 100 yards off. Now bear in mind you can't even see 100 yds in this kind of weather. So's I take aim, offhand of course, and nail him right between the eyes.  My buddy he couldn't believe it, me, I just grinned and kept on a shootin.

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I walked out to watch our FFA trap shoot practice a few years ago behind the school where I was principal. Small rural school in middle of BEST deer hunting in Misssouri. One of kids wanted me to shoot and gave me the crappiest old 12 ga I ever saw but its all he could afford so I took it with pride! Teacher called pull before I was ready but shot it out of air almost from the hip! PURE ACCIDENT! I calmly handed gun back and said it shot good and hurried to my office to laugh. Spent rest of day turning down requests to shoot again and where did I learn to shoot like that. Gave evasive answers and was small town folk hero for the day.HAHA By the way one of those students is now grown and one of my best friends-he still teases me once and awhile about it when I miss a shot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I was about 7 or 8 yrs. old and was watching the 'grownups' shooting clay pigeons.  I had my trusty crosman lever action .177 cal. pellet gun with me.  I asked for a chance and they humored me.  My first shot I split the pigeon into several pieces.  My uncle claimed he saw the pellet arc trying to catch the pigeon and actually saw it collide with it.

Too bad I didn't know when to quit.  After wasting 3 more pigeons the adults went back at it with their shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#41]
After jogging/running about 150 yards I topped a small hill to see the coyote I was after about 200 yards away.  He was a large one and moving at a good trot. I threw up my Ruger m77 30-06 and found him in the scope but between my heavy breathing and his running I could not get a shot and lowered the rifle. Low and behold just then he stopped and look back. I threw up the rifle and as soon as the cross hairs hit him I pulled the trigger and down he went.

But this one by my father is great. Growing up we raised cattle and one evening just before sundown we heard dogs chasing them.  We jumped in the jeep and took off.  When we spotted them it was two large mixed breed dogs and a smaller one.  They heard us and ran for the woods. My father told me to stop the jeep and he jumped out with the iron sighted old Win. 22LR that we kept in the jeep and threw up and fired once at the second large dog just as he entered the woods about 150-200 yards away.  When he looked at me I said that is an unbeleivable shot and he said yea to bad I missed.  I said you didn't miss he had hit the smaller dog which was running 20 or 30 feet behind the large dog square in the back of the head and had not even noticed.  He offered me 20 bucks to tell that he hit the one he was aiming for. By the way with treatment the cow lived but her newborn calf did not. Those 3 dogs cost us about 500 that day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top