Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 9:09:16 PM EDT by bcochran]
OP:

The most common threads are the useless ones like:

1. when can I legally shoot someone;

2. .45acp vs. 9mm;

3. Glock vs. Browning designed .45 auto.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself:

1. Am I in good physical condition;
2. Are my meds and dental work up todate;
3. Have I acquired various skills like shooting, ranging, tracking, concealment, martial arts?

Is the answer to any of those questions is "no", you have something that you should work on now and not get caught up in trying to figure out legal responses to situations that require only situational awareness and that rare trait of common sense.

Do you really think that you are going to take the time to ask yourself your original question when shtf? If you do take that time, you will really be down the curve and down the food chain.

There is another dimension that you should consider as well. You have all the consequences for your own answer to that question. No me. Not a lawyer answering your question.

Understand the following:

1. you have asked the question of when you can legally shoot some one;
2. you have done this on the internet;
3. any district attorney can find your posting and use it against you in the future.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:09:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
That is definately a legit sef defense scenario...

A reasonable person would fear death or great bodily harm...

Use all necessary force to escape....

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:54:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By newracer:
Did you see how cheap diesel was?!?!?!?!?

WHY - O -WHY
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:15:06 PM EDT
They look like speed bumps to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bcochran:
OP:

The most common threads are the useless ones like:

1. when can I legally shoot someone;

2. .45acp vs. 9mm;

3. Glock vs. Browning designed .45 auto.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself:

1. Am I in good physical condition;
2. Are my meds and dental work up todate;
3. Have I acquired various skills like shooting, ranging, tracking, concealment, martial arts?

Is the answer to any of those questions is "no", you have something that you should work on now and not get caught up in trying to figure out legal responses to situations that require only situational awareness and that rare trait of common sense.

Do you really think that you are going to take the time to ask yourself your original question when shtf? If you do take that time, you will really be down the curve and down the food chain.

There is another dimension that you should consider as well. You have all the consequences for your own answer to that question. No me. Not a lawyer answering your question.

Understand the following:

1. you have asked the question of when you can legally shoot some one;
2. you have done this on the internet;
3. any district attorney can find your posting and use it against you in the future.

Although I agree with this poster's assertion that making such a query online may not prove in the OP's best interests - should he find himself in a life-threatening situation which requires him to kill someone - I wholeheartedly disagree with the poster's assertion that knowing when the taking of a life is justified is secondary to the things he's listed as being more important.

True enough, one should be in shape and have the tools/means to defend one's self and those he loves. But, w/o knowing under what circumstances he's legally justified (or, perhaps, obligated), in defending himself with lethality, the whole point of being physically prepared to do so is moot.

Any person who's willing to step up and take action (in such circumstances), needs to understand the consequences of doing so - and of not doing so - beforehand. And that's why we have these discussions. Many of the youths in those video clips may not have been actively participating; only observing. Maybe one of the reasons for that is/was they weren't thugs, themselves - yet, they didn't know what course of action they were (legally), able to take to stop the mayhem around them. Maybe they didn't know because they never asked.

True - in this particular example, I doubt many would've done a damn thing, anyway. Apathy is a mental disorder; rampant in cities. But, you never know. Had one of us been there (with our obligatory carry weapon), could be the whole fuckin' riot might never have happened. It'd have been quashed from the get go: rioters scattering to avoid being shot by a passerby.

And, yes. Many gang-bangers carry weapons and have no problem shooting back. I'd sure like to think, though, that ARFcommers practice regularly and know to make each shot count (and to not fire so rapidly as to make one's fire ineffective). If those punks would've seen their asshole buddies falling, one by one, in succession, they may have decided to wise up and move along.

Regardless, knowing when to escalate force (and when not to), is of paramount importance. Of course, YMMV - and that's just my opinion. But, if you're going to carry a weapon (to me, at least), it makes perfect sense to know when to use it - w/o fear of being prosecuted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:04 PM EDT
If you were the guy at 1 miniute 9 seconds, At what point of time would it probably been legal to pull your gun and start firing?

When they sourround and stop your vehicle?

or

Only when they break out your window?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:25:27 PM EDT
I'm no lawyer.

But, I'd think that (given the circumstances: an ongoing, violent riot), that you'd be justified using a weapon as soon as the crowd surrounded your car and impeded your ability to flee.

Sound reasonable?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:28:08 PM EDT
"I was in fear of my life"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:43:07 PM EDT
I would keep circling the block.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:38 PM EDT
Don't stop in the first place. Keep on truckin - they'll move... Do what you have to do, forward, reverse, etc. just don't stop...

Don't ever let yourself be boxed in by traffic, not even in situation normal.

Always leave yourself an escape route.

Don't pull up on the next cars bumper at stop signs or traffic lights ever- make this a daily practice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:05:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:14:45 PM EDT
Nothing would stop me from getting home to protect my family if the SHTF. Then again if the S really HTF, I wouldn't be finishing my shift either......I would leave the moment things got dangerous and I thought my rout home might be blocked or whatever.

Any situation where my car is being mobbed by hostiles I would be pressing the gas or pulling the trigger, maybe both.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CLIP67:
Don't stop in the first place. Keep on truckin - they'll move... Do what you have to do, forward, reverse, etc. just don't stop...

Don't ever let yourself be boxed in by traffic, not even in situation normal.

Always leave yourself an escape route.

Don't pull up on the next cars bumper at stop signs or traffic lights ever- make this a daily practice.

+1 Make sure you can clearly see the whole vehicle in front of you, down to the tires touching the ground. That ought to let you pull out if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:20:44 PM EDT
Ask Reginald Denny, he paid for being a nice guy and stopping for the local scumbags. Run em over, over.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top