Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 to this thread.  It's something I've been thinking about too.

I heard/read somewhere that saws > axes/hatchets in a survival situation because chopping on a tree with an axe makes a lot more noise than sawing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I heard/read somewhere that saws > axes/hatchets in a survival situation because chopping on a tree with an axe makes a lot more noise than sawing.

Depends on what kind of survival.

Lost in the woods, noise is good.

Getting shot at, what the hell are you doing spending time making a fire, run man, and don't forget your axe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After I destroyed my mom's bush I never saw that knife again.

i lolled, couldnt help it
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hell, why would they design a knife like that?! Seriously, what's the point of having what is basically two spikes on the handle bent back toward the user?

To use as a grappling hook.

The spikes screw in and are easily removable.

Also there is a lanyard attachment on the handle cap.

Well at least they screw off. Sorry, still don't see the point. Seems like such little benefit for so many downsides (extra weight, blade that could come back at you if it dislodges, etc). Your money though, not mine. To each their own...

I believe it is meant to be used as a grapple only with the nylon / plastic scabbard attached.

FWIW I bought mine new for $25 from an Army Surplus store that was going out of business.

I believe they sell for > $400 on Ebay

It is very heavy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  This is GD, I'm surprised this thread didn't make a hard right after that statement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
axe/knife combo...

medium axe with large knife though

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mauser348/P8231003.jpg

I carry the Top long Hawk (30" haft by Equinox Coranado)(head by Craig barr) and a RTAK2 knife refinished with ceracoat.

I like but can those Axes down dead trees?  

nope nots its job...I have been wanting to add a saw to what I carry and am following this thread for just that reason..
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I depended on this puppy from ages 8-12:

http://i43.tinypic.com/202t0z.jpg

i remember mine fondly

Mine saved my life quite a few times on those childhood adventures. It was the emergency machete to hack through the knee-high grass on the river bank, the spear point for defense against marauding squirrels in the backyard campouts, and the compass helped me navigate hundreds of yards over almost bumpy terrain.

A dull knife, matches, wire saw and fishing line... the destructive power for a 10 year old was virtually limitless.  I had never felt so powerful.

My dad sharpened mine for me on his bench grinder.  I promptly split my thumb in two with it.  It was cool though, because I had a bandaid stuffed in the handle.  Coming home from adventure wounded, my Pop drug the story out of me, and promptly took the knife, placed it on the ground bridged over a step on our deck and broke the blade off the handle.  I think I was 8.  When I was 10 I got a Buck something or other and he took more time showing me how to sharpen it and use it

ETA: on the subject, I prefer a big knife and a Sven saw.  Big knife is better for processing game or other chores a good, sharp axe might be able to accomplish, and can process light firewood fairly well.  Add the Sven saw for bucking logs, and the knife can baton just about anything you would split with a small axe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Where is the hatchet/medium knife (4-5") option?  

I don't need to saw logs or use a monster axe to build a cabin.  In a survival situation I need to make shelter and get firewood.  Neither require the use of large logs.  I will grant you that a saw is quieter though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry one of these in my GHB.

For under $25 it's not bad.

I used the saw edge on a 3" red bud  tree and had no problem cutting it down.

Bad side is that it doesn't have a full tang.

ETA: It's a Gerber Gator Machete Jr.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where is the hatchet/medium knife (4-5") option?  

I don't need to saw logs or use a monster axe to build a cabin.  In a survival situation I need to make shelter and get firewood.  Neither require the use of large logs.  I will grant you that a saw is quieter though.

I like the 3/4 axe over the hatchet, for the little bit of extra weight you get a lot more efficiency. Mine is under 3 lbs total and has a 26" handle, fits right on the side of my pack no problem.

I won't carry a full sized axe though, way to much weight to lug around.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Woodsmans pal and a Sven saw makes me happy happy happy.  Knife needs can be met with a swiss army knife.

Which Swiss army knife do you have?  

I have more than one.

A couple tinkers I got cheap a few years ago, a camper, trekker, and a couple keychain sized that were given to me.  I have a couple old wengers kicking around somewhere too.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Survival? A small ax or big knife.

Axes are used for cutting wood about the size of your forearm, knives for things the thickness of your finger, saws only the big stuff.

In a survival situation every tool that I bring needs to earn it's weight/size and an ax can be used as a hammer, a weapon, and even a method to break locks.

Good points about the Axe.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good point as you don't want people to hear what you are doing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

axe/knife combo...

medium axe with large knife though

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mauser348/P8231003.jpg

I carry the Top long Hawk (30" haft by Equinox Coranado)(head by Craig barr) and a RTAK2 knife refinished with ceracoat.

I like but can those Axes down dead trees?  

nope nots its job...I have been wanting to add a saw to what I carry and am following this thread for just that reason..

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear Penthouse,
Blablablablabla

Sincerely,
George Washington
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
A saw is much less work than swinging an axe and it's safer too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I depended on this puppy from ages 8-12:

http://i43.tinypic.com/202t0z.jpg

I bet there is a very strong correlation between that statement and AR15.com membership (bought mine at fun show for $6)

grandparents bought mine much to the dismay of my mom
they may as well have let me loose with a butter knife
pretty useless but it stayed strapped on my bicycle.
I still have one. pretty sure its a replacement I bought because I know I beat the hell out of the first one and this one looks pretty new
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think that is dependent on the situation.

You need different blades for green or dry wood, and a short stroke on a saw is rough on the shoulder I think.

Plus if you get the blade pinched life sucks.

I do think they are safer though, people out to have tough guy contests have no business swinging an axe. The tool is about controlling the swing, not trying to ring the bell at the fair.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need different blades for green or dry wood, and a short stroke on a saw is rough on the shoulder I think.

I do think they are safer though, people out to have tough guy contests have no business swinging an axe. The tool is about controlling the swing, not trying to ring the bell at the fair.

Dont forget follow through when it comes to using an axe.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Nice video. Thanks.  I've been a boy scout and all that and I still learned a few improvements over my patented "Smash wood with axe" technique.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say you need different saw blades, though it might help in certain situations.  A folding saw like the Bacho Laplander should cut about anything reasonably well in a survival situation, assuming it's not too large for the blade of course.

You're right about the possibility of blade sticking, but it shouldn't be a big issue with the small/medium sized logs a folding saw can cut.  If it does happen you can always carve up some wedges and hammer it out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Axe and a ESEE 4 size knife is fine with me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't say you need different saw blades, though it might help in certain situations.  A folding saw like the Bacho Laplander should cut about anything reasonably well in a survival situation, assuming it's not too large for the blade of course.

You're right about the possibility of blade sticking, but it shouldn't be a big issue with the small/medium sized logs a folding saw can cut.  If it does happen you can always carve up some wedges and hammer it out.

OR carry a spare saw blade like I would.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top