Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And yet attack helicopters fly even lower and slower and manage to fly CAS and live to tell the tale....

USAF is dangerously close to making a good decision... that particular bomb is too big, but it's a start.

Leave the useless guns off, ditch the twin-engined jet entrant, and get down to business.
View Quote
USAF doesn't need another one-trick pony that can only be used against goat-love enthusiasts.  AC-130 already fills that role.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The A-10 though it's everyone's favorite has sidelined these light COIN types many times. People don't see the A-10 community as being an obstacle but...
View Quote
I'd love to see the A-10 community (and the defunct OH-58 community) put into aircraft that can fly over more of our troops more often.

Put the killers into killing machines that can kill more fuckers that need killing.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not keep the A-10.  It's proven and I'm sure it can be updated.  Prop seems retro and a little suicidal on todays battlefield.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

USAF doesn't need another one-trick pony that can only be used against goat-love enthusiasts.  AC-130 already fills that role.
View Quote
A few hundred AC-130s operational would be awesome... a little pricey though, and then there's the whole "only wants to play at night" issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why not keep the A-10.  It's proven and I'm sure it can be updated.  Prop seems retro and a little suicidal on todays battlefield.
View Quote
A-10 isn't operating in any airspace where LAAR couldn't.

Anything approaching near-peer or halfway competent IADS means Warthog stays on the ground these days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My only issue with these CAS and COIN planes is lack of payload capacity. The thing should be able to carry 2-4 1000lb bombs, all kinds of rockets, 20 or 30mm vulcan or maybe 4x.50cals.
View Quote
The guns are a waste of payload, and 1,000 pounders are waaaay too big for CAS.

Rockets by the shitload, and small bombs by the even bigger shitload.  That's the way forward.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So a low-flying low-speed prop aircraft flying combat missions.

Do they just not expect them to come back alive?
View Quote
Tucano isn't slow, not much slower than the A-10, but it has the option of going real slow - stall speed is like 90 Mph. I also believe turboprops are less fragile than turbofans but I can't say that for sure.

They know what the mission is for this plane and what it is not. It's almost an A-10 replacement, and it seems to do what the aging A-10 is needed for now, cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds interesting and all, but why would we invest in sending a real pilot down range when we could do much more with a UAV? (unmanned aircraft)
View Quote
Cost.

Big UAV's are expensive and somewhat unreliable. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#10]

More like this. Slightly bigger to fly more ordnance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The A-10 though it's everyone's favorite has sidelined these light COIN types many times. People don't see the A-10 community as being an obstacle but...
View Quote
The A-10 was a stunt to kill the AH-56 Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cost.

Big UAV's are expensive and somewhat unreliable. 
View Quote
Compared to what?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update.

Outboard .338 mini-guns.

Nacelle 20mm cannon.

Assorted Hate on hardpoints.

Fast as hell even in WW2.

2 engines.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WCapVFcVR1o/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Brilliant!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let's build new B-26 Marauders.  Souped up B-25's, too.

Clean up the aerodynamics a little, and add turbine engines, modern avionics with a couple of WSO's ready to convert bad guys into good guys.
View Quote
That's so brilliant it would never work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
We need an OV-10 with a lower or rear facing turret gun in 30-40 mm that can be loaded with proximity fused he shells. This way it can fire on targets to the side and behind it.

It also needs a bunch of precision guided mortar shells that it can drop. Still needs forward firing guns and rockets/munitions on pylons.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We need an OV-10 with a lower or rear facing turret gun in 30-40 mm that can be loaded with proximity fused he shells. This way it can fire on targets to the side and behind it.

It also needs a bunch of precision guided mortar shells that it can drop. Still needs forward firing guns and rockets/munitions on pylons.
View Quote
There's a laser guidance kit already fielded for rockets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tucano isn't slow, not much slower than the A-10, but it has the option of going real slow - stall speed is like 90 Mph. I also believe turboprops are less fragile than turbofans but I can't say that for sure.

They know what the mission is for this plane and what it is not. It's almost an A-10 replacement, and it seems to do what the aging A-10 is needed for now, cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The A-10 is obsolete for the job it was designed to do. The Tucano is a better, cheaper replacement for the job the A-10 tries to do now, imo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Stupid question, I'm sure, but:  How many modern militaries of the world issue MANPADs on a squad level?  Whenever I see something about SAMs, they usually appear mostly as vehicle born or emplacement weapons.

Do we, the US or any of our near-peer adversaries, issue MANPADs to groups in theatre?  For the intended role of CAS or mopup, an asshole with a Stinger or Redeye would concern me flying something like that, rather than some large, cumbersome vehicle with a couple hundred thousand dollar missile on the back (S-400s or what not).

Of course, I would imagine anything flying close to the ground like that would have flares onboard...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The A-10 is obsolete for the job it was designed to do. The Tucano is a better, cheaper replacement for the job the A-10 tries to do now, imo.
View Quote
LOL. Not even comparable.  You think because both were designed for an air/ground role they're the same?  

Tries to do?  Dumbass post of the day.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you missed the last decade and a half of counterinsurgency?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tasked to support regular ground units?  Never heard of one doing anything outside of supporting SOF.  Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's not common and is counter to the purpose of a light attack aircraft.  Numerous, cheap, long loiter time, capable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
What was wrong with the old A-4 attack jet?
And what is wrong with the A-10?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The A-29 is participating in the U.S. Air Force Light Attack Experiment (OA-X), a series of trials to determine the feasibility of using light aircraft in attack roles.
View Quote

all this shit has already been done/proven

but the AF is doing it again-fucking retards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Feasibility?

Clearly, we aren't even sure if these aircraft can even do the job!!!

It may take a decade or two of testing to even see if the IDEA of a light attack aircraft will even WORK!

FFS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tasked to support regular ground units?  Never heard of one doing anything outside of supporting SOF.  Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's not common and is counter to the purpose of a light attack aircraft.  Numerous, cheap, long loiter time, capable.
View Quote

Harvest HAWKs for the 400 C-130s flying training minimums would work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#28]
This. I'm not a vet, nor an expert in CAS, or aircraft in general. But I've read every one of these threads.

WTF is wrong with the A10? What did I miss?

What little I can gather is that they're aging bigly and a maintenance nightmare. So build new ones?!

[Flame suit on] because I'm sure this is a dumb question.

ETA: love the P38. Great pic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Can stingers even lock on to small turbo prop?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. I'm not a vet, nor an expert in CAS, or aircraft in general. But I've read every one of these threads.

What little I can gather is that they're aging bigly and a maintenance nightmare. So build new ones?!

ETA: love the P38. Great pic.
View Quote
What's wrong with the A-10?  It's already bought and paid for.  No one can make money from it.  What we need is a new, much more expensive A-10 that contractors and retired generals and politicians can use to cash in on.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Single Pilot.
Gun designed to destroy T-62s is largely ineffective against current threats.
Can't survive a non-permissive airspace.
Flies a profile which make it both unnecessarily at risk to ground fire WHILE making it much more likely to have a fratricide event.

Designed around a gun and munitions that were cutting edge 45 years ago are greatly outclassed today.

Old and flown hard.  They need to be replaced.

Since it is restricted to airspace that lacks any sophisticated ADA, it is overdesigned and more expensive to fly than alternatives.

Never really designed for "CAS".  Was always better at interdiction.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Needs a robot pilot.  Will drive up the acquisition cost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

"thinking"

In what way are these aircraft less survivable than rotary wing aircraft?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My only issue with these CAS and COIN planes is lack of payload capacity. The thing should be able to carry 2-4 1000lb bombs, all kinds of rockets, 20 or 30mm vulcan or maybe 4x.50cals.
View Quote
SDBs are fine.  It doesn't need Mk.83 class bombs for CAS.  It already has a 20m gun pod and .50s in the wings.

Ever called in CAS with Mk.83s?

It's freaking brutal even many clicks away.

Super Tucano with SDBs would work just fine, along with Predator C, F-15E, AC-130J &W, F-16C, F-35A-C, F-22, A-10C, B-1B, B-52, and other things.

Once they get the toss techniques and tactics worked out, Super Tucano will have stand-off capability as well with Link-16 and integrated targeting from multiple sensors and sources.

They're putting SDB in MLRS as well to be ground-launched.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Hellfires and FFARs will handle 95% of the problems we face in the environment they are designed for.

If they need bigger they can swap over to a FAC-A and call in fast movers.

How many Taliban tanks are we going after at this point?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Single Pilot.
Flies a profile which make it both unnecessarily at risk to ground fire WHILE making it much more likely to have a fratricide event.

Designed around a gun and munitions that were cutting edge 45 years ago are greatly outclassed today.

Since it is restricted to airspace that lacks any sophisticated ADA, it is overdesigned and more expensive to fly than alternatives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Single Pilot.

Thanks buddy. Exactly the person I wanted an answer from.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stupid question, I'm sure, but:  How many modern militaries of the world issue MANPADs on a squad level?  Whenever I see something about SAMs, they usually appear mostly as vehicle born or emplacement weapons.

Do we, the US or any of our near-peer adversaries, issue MANPADs to groups in theatre?  For the intended role of CAS or mopup, an asshole with a Stinger or Redeye would concern me flying something like that, rather than some large, cumbersome vehicle with a couple hundred thousand dollar missile on the back (S-400s or what not).

Of course, I would imagine anything flying close to the ground like that would have flares onboard...
View Quote
Their proliferation is pretty limited even in the US.

We have the duty positions, but rarely use them.

For a developing nation to employ them, they need direct support from a highly-industrialized nation's foreign intelligence and special operations forces with technical advisors, like we did for the Muj, and like is currently being done for elements in Syria who shot down a Turkish Cobra.

Shelf life on the coolant for the seeker and technical training for the shooters is extremely perishable, to the extent that when we tried to source Soviet SA-7s from Egypt for the Muj, every single one the Egyptians had in warehouses was inoperable.  They had several demos for the CIA weenies overseen by one competent officer with the relevant background, and they all failed.  This is why we ended up fielding new, US-made FIM-92As to the Muj through the Pakistani ISI in the mid-80s.

Even then, after they set up the training program and controls to minimize proliferation to other groups, the Stinger had a minimal effect in bringing down Soviet aircraft in Afghanistan.  Their number one source of aircraft loss in Afghanistan was accidents and poor maintenance, but the psychological effect of Stingers was significant.  Muj would set up outside of Soviet air bases in the predictable flight paths for intercept on take-off or landing based on the terrain.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
A-29 has well over 8 hours of endurance.

A-10 has under 2 hours endurance (about an hour and 45 min. depending on conditions, profile, load) for CAS with a 250nm combat radius.

The A-10C will still be there for a while, but the fleet is old as sin.

I've watched it literally from test and development through deployments where I've used it, to its end-of-life stage currently.  I still remember the YA-10A that crashed out of Edwards due to gun exhaust ingestion, killing the test pilot, and the phases of gun nozzle designs they went through to address it.  My dad brought me home one of the 30mm cartridges in the 70s, which I promptly stuck in my Millennium Falcon through the turret hole to use as a handle.  I guess he knew some folks on the A-10 Combined Test Force, since he was doing something with the test instrumentation and telemetry data crunching for all the CTFs at the time.

The A-10C still makes a great CSAR bird for downed pilots behind the lines or certain units who are running an E&E corridor.  That will also involve F-15C or F-15E support as well depending on the threat environment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A-29 has well over 8 hours of endurance.
View Quote

With gas and nothing else.

I am not sure I want a pilot/WSO who has sat in that seat for 7 hours doing CAS.

3-5 hours would be a massive improvement.  Hell, after 8 hours I should be out of Taliban if I am any good at my job.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just stop training and other support missions?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Feasibility?

Clearly, we aren't even sure if these aircraft can even do the job!!!

It may take a decade or two of testing to even see if the IDEA of a light attack aircraft will even WORK!

FFS.
View Quote
Yeah.  I don't get the feasibility part either.  Make it a COTS shoot-off?  Sure, but "can it work, when we bought them for the Afghani's to do the same thing?"  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet attack helicopters fly even lower and slower and manage to fly CAS and live to tell the tale....

USAF is dangerously close to making a good decision... that particular bomb is too big, but it's a start.

Leave the useless guns off, ditch the twin-engined jet entrant, and get down to business.
There is nothing wrong with inexpensive one-trick ponies.  Hell, the idea that everything has to be multi-role and joint is counter to good decisions.

ETA:  The AC-130 is around $200M per unit and uses a crew of over a dozen.  That doesn't really scale well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#44]
A modernized P51.  Even the WWII P51D only weighed 400 lbs more than the Super Tucano, but was faster, had a higher service ceiling, had 3x the combat range, and nearly the same payload.  The P51D cost about $50k to produce in 1944, that is equivalent to around $700k today, yet the Super Tucano is $10 million + per unit.

I am no aviation expert, but aren't there better options than the Super Tucano?  Seems way overpriced for what we are getting and appears to be very mediocre in performance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A modernized P51.  Even the WWII P51D only weighed 400 lbs more than the Super Tucano, but was faster, had a higher service ceiling, had 3x the combat range, and nearly the same payload.  The P51D cost about $50k to produce in 1944, that is equivalent to around $700k today, yet the Super Tucano is $10 million + per unit.

I am no aviation expert, but aren't there better options than the Super Tucano?  Seems way overpriced for what we are getting and appears to be very mediocre in performance.
View Quote
The targeting pod costs more than $700k.  Each ejection seat costs more than $700k.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about support for non-SOCOM units?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And just stop training and other support missions?
View Quote

Our 400 C-130s are just being worked to death right now, aren't they?

Stop training to go to war?!!?!?!

Who ever heard of such a thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So how many are Douglas going to crank out for the program?  
View Quote
Don't know, we should ask Boeing that!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What about support for non-SOCOM units?
View Quote

fuck those guys.  if they weren't good enough for SOCOM, they certainly aren't good enough for air support.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top