Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best shades I have is Costa Del Mar's with the blue 580 lens. I also have 2  Radar Oaks but the CDM's are hands down better.
View Quote

^ this without a doubt! Mine are glass lens but you can get them in poly. I scratch my poly lens to often. However I do have Oakleys with poly lens for when in might break or loose them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Oakleys are  a pair of 2 buck chinese sunglasses that you pay 2 bills for.
View Quote
Except that they're made in America

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Oakley Vault is worth checking out. It's like their outlet store. I got my wife a pair for 70 bucks, normally 150 or something.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Oakley Big Tacos are excellent if you have a large cranium- 2 years and going strong, often surrounded by three kids. I am ordering a second pair in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Over priced crap.

I dropped my ballistic M frames on GRASS and broke off one of the arms.
View Quote

No, you didn't.

Having owned several and ran into literally THOUSANDS in the Army, I'm calling complete bullshit on this story.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've worn my Flack Jackets for three years with no issues now, half of that in Afghanistan. I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rayban Wayfarers are best sunglasses.

http://thelodge3life.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/miami-vice20.jpg

View Quote

My standard go to pair. I like that they fold pretty flat and look good. Oakleys always look like they're trying too hard. I've got some sunglasses by Native for a bit more intense activities though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly just ask a member in here to help you out that has a standard issue acct. that simple just don't ask to buy more than two pairs and don't try to sell them for profit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I still have my Oakley Half Jackets I got from usstandardissue.com, they have held up for years.  Since the bulk of my work is on the water, I replaced the lenses with polarized ones, also bought with a deep discount from usstandardissue.com..  Lately I've switched over to a pair of black polarized Rayban New Wayfarers I got on sale at the PX, they work and look great.  Now my Oakleys only get worn when I'm on the range.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both Oakleys and Smith Optics and both have been good. The Oakleys (I've had 2 pair for the last 6 years, plus 2 other pair I sold off because I wanted to try something else) have held up well with the exception of the lenses getting scratched. I haven't babied them and one pair probably saved my eye when I got hit in the face (accidentally) with a gun barrel/muzzle brake (Blaser LRS) by a guy in full run. I'll deal with the scratch. The Smiths are newer but I like them so far and dig the polarized lens. Oakleys have gone up a bit since I bought mine and the Smiths seem like a better value so my next pair will probably be Smiths.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

hipster shit nowadays
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Go to Walmart and head to the optics store past the registers. They sell 30-40$ sunglasses that are excellent in quality. It's a little known secret. They'll clean them up and give you a nice case for them too. I've bought three pairs there over the last couple of years and every one of them are bad ass. Spring loaded, brushed aluminum, etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I love my Wayfarers and Oakleys.

Buy what fit's your face and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I have some Maui Jims I've worn daily for 3 years now. Still going strong.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
hipster shit nowadays
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hipster shit nowadays

My eyeglasses are New Wayfarers with clear prescription lenses. The most comfortable and best glasses I have ever had.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#16]
i like rayban, oakley and gargoyles

have oakley scapels now, had titanium raybans before this and beat the loving shit out of them for 6 years and they lasted. Only replaced them due to scratches and the nosepads wear out fast. Gargoyles I love the terminator classics, they brought them back but without the solid mirror colors...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Asking the "best" sunglasses is like asking the best 1911 or the best 9mm or the best AR15.  There are different price tiers with quality assessed, but after a certain point they are almost neck and neck subject to name plate and subtle fashion changes for most people.  Even if you are interested in the optical quality, a lot is personal fit and style.  

I havent bought new sunglasses in a few years, but I really like my Maui Jims.  Some guys still swear by Serengeti or even Vaurnet.  It's what fit YOU.

Most people buy sunglasses based on fashion, with optics falling a distant second in priority.  If optics are important, just realize A LOT depends on the specifics of YOUR eyes.  Not someone else's eyes.  Not someone elses face or fashion or ....  Your eyes, your sports, your shooting, your climate, sun, environment.

Just like some sunglass fashions look good on one person and another looks babnanas, different lenses look different to different eyes.  A high altitude sunburn to the eyes, even a mild one, affects color perception.  A laser flash too. A touch of astigmatism affects a lot.  A little scratch to the eyeball after a few years becomes a scar.  That little piece of brass that the medic pulled out with tweezers didn't hurt that much, but years later twists the vision.  Different curves, lens tints, etc affect different eyes differently.  

For example, most wrap around styles (most Oakleys, Nikes, etc) have too much curve to the lenses which is bad for me due to some astigmatism.  I even have a pair of nice protective WileyX prescription shooting glasses/goggles which I thought were flat enough at the eye doc but turned out to suck because they tire my eyes out on a long shoot  due to too much curvature - so I usually reach back in for my old goof looking flat aviatorish beasties.  I pulled the RX lenses out and shoved back in the nonRx ones and some people who shoot with me love them even though they still bug me.

There's no way to know without trying them.  It's kind of like finding a pair of boots that fit just right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Smith, Spy, or Rayban are great, bot OVVO are light years better, pricey though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Maui Jim's is what I wear.  Never was a fan of Oakley's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I just took a look at what Oakley has to offer on their website and they are still as fugly as they were back in 1998... Except for the Wayfarer knock offs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Over priced crap.

I dropped my ballistic M frames on GRASS and broke off one of the arms.
View Quote

LoL, I've owned the same pair of Oakleys since 2007, I've dropped them many times and they're still intact. If I needed a new pair it would be Oakleys. The only problem is the finish looks like it's coming off.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the use really. I love my Oakely Radarlock Paths w/ polarized lens for running and biking.

Would I use them as my everyday driver ? Not really, I prefer RayBan for that.

So...to answer the question. The answer MOSTLY depends on the intended use.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I have Oakley SI m-frames and Wiley-X.  Depends on what I am doing as to which pair I get.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm on my 3rd pair.  XX for about 6 years, Monster Dogs for 3, and now I've had Pitbulls for about a year.

None of them are broken, I still have the others for back ups.  Just wanted something new.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I owned a pair of Oakley Half jackets and lost them swimming at the beach. They were the best sunglasses Id ever owned.

Now that Im in the market for a new pair are there any other brands out there that wont cost me 200 bucks that are as well built and cool looking?

whats say you hive?
View Quote

I bought a pair of Oakleys, then bought a pair of Maui Jim's.  Never wore the Oakleys again until I lost my Maui Jims while traveling for Christmas.  Had to start wearing the Oakleys again, but I just couldn't stand it anymore and went out yesterday and bought another pair of Maui Jim's.  The Oakleys are retired once again, and I couldn't be happier.

ETA....I'm not really knocking the Oakleys, they are very good for rough activities.  I actually slammed mine in the car door(freak accident).  Both ear pieces broke off, but the snapped right back on and they are good as new.  Probably couldn't have done that win the Maui Jim's.  But, the Maui Jim's are way more comfortable and life just looks better through their lenses.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oakleys are  a pair of 2 buck chinese sunglasses that you pay 2 bills for.

well, the pair in my truck and the SUV are made in the USA. I will have to check the ones at work and in the car. I know I have 1 pair made overseas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Serious answer: I have a pair of Maui Jim Stingrays that I really like. I don't even have a pair of Wayfarers. Yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Spy > Oakley
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#29]
There is no such thing as the best, only what's best for you.  I like them, but the I get a discount thanks to the .mil.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Want to talk expensive? RX sunglasses.

Current pair went with Wiley X Gravity frame with their face gasket foam seal. I like them so far for biking and general wear, though they squeeze a bit tight and can be uncomfortable after several hours.

At least they stay put. Lost my pair of Bolle's in the lake last spring snagging for spoonbill. Never quite liked those sunglasses. The frame was made in China and very flimsy. The rubber padding fell off the ear-pieces from shoving into my motorcycle helmet. I won't buy frames that don't fully enclose the lenses again either after a MTB crash cut my cheek open.

My first pair of Bolle's that I still wear with clear RX lens for shooting/safety glasses I really like. The frame is marked Made in Italy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#31]
i wore the same pair for 10 years then bought a new design, still have the old pair as spares and going strong

$120/10 years is 12 a year

the cheap ones from wal mart will cost you that and they usually break or you lose them every year

trust me you dont lose oakleys
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]
They are the best for me. I don't own any now. My wife got me a free pair of Wounded Warrior Project UA sunglasses so I can't justify a new pair of Oakleys. I've had WIley X as well. Nothing fits as good as the Oakleys and they Wiley Xs didn't hold up that great either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Been wearing Oakleys of and on since 1986.  The one consistent thing is, they will break through normal use, not abuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

oakleys seem poorly made to me. i have a pair or wiley sabers i love.

Been wearing Oakleys of and on since 1986.  The one consistent thing is, they will break through normal use, not abuse.
I've had a pair of e-wires for about 7 years now. They have not broken despite wearing them nearly every day and abusing them. They look like absolute shit at the moment but I've been too cheap to buy new glasses.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I have two Maui Jim's, 4 and 5 years old. They are still in great shape. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again and supposedly they have top notch CS, haven't needed it though. North of $200, but as long as you don't lose them, they last.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes they are......kind of the Glock of sunglasses
Oakley=Perfection
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Been wearing Oakleys of and on since 1986. The one consistent thing is, they will break through normal use, not abuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oakleys seem poorly made to me. i have a pair or wiley sabers i love.

Been wearing Oakleys of and on since 1986. The one consistent thing is, they will break through normal use, not abuse.

Interesting because I have been wearing them exclusively since '89.  I have had two pair break...one because I took a branch to the face mounting biking and they only cracked the frame, lenses stayed in place.  The second (sub zero's) because I stepped on the arm when they fell on a gravel surface.  I still have and wear many original pair from early '90's with ZERO issues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Love my flak jacket xlj, had them for years. The only down side is that the lenses scratch quite easily, but they can be replaced pretty reasonably if you don't need polarized.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I've worn Ray Ban glasses for 30 yrs. and been pleased with them.  Comfortable,  tough,  quality shades.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]
you guys looking at WileyX's should check out Liberty. much better glasses IMO than the Wiley's

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#41]
FYI - I have a pair of costs del Mar triple tail 400 blue mirror glass in for warranty. Lens delamination and nose piece delamination. I intend to post an AAR after everything is done. We'll see how good their lifetime warrantee is ...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I only wear Oakleys because of usstandardissue.com.
View Quote

Same here.  If i was paying full price, I'd still wear my flak jackets though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I like Costas personally, but oakleys are still really good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I wear Randolphs now. I might get some Oakley wire frames, but I am done buying plastic frame sunglasses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought Oakley's were, then I got Maui Jim.

There is a big difference, especially with polarized versions.   Clarity and durability is awesome.

View Quote

They aren't even in the same ballpark for comfort or toughness though,  my son got some MJs and broke the lens the first time he dropped them.  I hate heavy ass glass sunglasses, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They aren't even in the same ballpark for comfort or toughness though,  my son got some MJs and broke the lens the first time he dropped them.  I hate heavy ass glass sunglasses, but that's just me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a big difference, especially with polarized versions.   Clarity and durability is awesome.

Glass is the best for optical clarity not so much for durability.
PC is best for durability not the best fit optical clarity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.  I used to wear glass sunglasses but I could never go back to them after a couple decades of wearing oakleys.  I've learned to be fanatical about putting my oakleys in the bag when they aren't on my face, and I don't get scratches, period.  I have the photo chromatic lenses right now and don't even want to think about buying new ones of those.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to buy Oakley's, but most of their new designs are way too "modern" for me.

Right now I'm wearing Wiley X and been mostly happy with them
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#49]
They are indeed, best.
...And RIP Paul Walker.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Esseyepro.com

I much prefer ESS.  Great quality and cheap replacement lenses.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top