BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're preaching to the choir here, but for $50-$75, with $100 being an arm and a leg, what's he to do?

We don't even know what stereo he has, either.  People tend to think that you just plug the tonearm leads into the AUX jack and start spinning records and well...as you know, that's not the case.

Personally, I'd suggest a nice Rega P3 type with a Musical Fidelity phono stage, but he'll be approaching a grand and well...if he has to ask...

Let him spend $100 on a USB TT, if it'll work in his system and see if he likes records.  He can always sell a kidney and get into better sound if that's his destiny, lol.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes they do, and they sound like dogshit. He should run, not walk, from such a suggestion.

You're preaching to the choir here, but for $50-$75, with $100 being an arm and a leg, what's he to do?

We don't even know what stereo he has, either.  People tend to think that you just plug the tonearm leads into the AUX jack and start spinning records and well...as you know, that's not the case.

Personally, I'd suggest a nice Rega P3 type with a Musical Fidelity phono stage, but he'll be approaching a grand and well...if he has to ask...

Let him spend $100 on a USB TT, if it'll work in his system and see if he likes records.  He can always sell a kidney and get into better sound if that's his destiny, lol.

Chris

You misunderstand. I was asking if it could be done decently for 100. And if it couldn't why and what needs to be spent to get decent. I have a solid answer to the first question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You misunderstand. I was asking if it could be done decently for 100. And if it couldn't why and what needs to be spent to get decent. I have a solid answer to the first question.
View Quote

I think that I addressed your concerns.  "Decently" is the operative word here. No, you can't get a 'good' sounding TT for under $100 IMO.

If you don't have a receiver/preamp that has an RIAA circuit within the unit, you'll have to buy one.  That's an extra box, which doesn't cost much for the 'bottom shelf' units, but it does cost you some money.

Like Subnet stated, maybe the Project Debut III TT with arm and cartridge AND the Project phono stage will serve you well, if you don't have a receiver/preamp that has the circuit already, but those two items will cost you about $400 before shipping.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have one of those Crosley combination CD/record/tape/stereo players and am happy with it.

I want to get one of those portable briefcase size models too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my Technics SL-1200 MkII, but the used ones are getting expensive, and finding ones in decent shape are getting harder.

My next table is a Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Rega RP-1.

I would suggest an Audio Technica LP60, or if you can swing it, an Audio Technica LP120 as a starter table, which is a copy of the Technics. Listen to your records and see if it's something you'd like to invest further in. Chasing fidelity is an expensive game.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#5]

There you go, the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn turntable & Cobra tonearm.

About $150k without phono stage and cartridge, so perhaps add another $50k to that.

Pretty much SOTA.

http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/106con

http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/

Chris
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
you'll need a bad-ass tube amp and some klipschorns or altec voice of the theaters or.. hell, ESS AMT1b's also.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
you'll need a bad-ass tube amp and some klipschorns or altec voice of the theaters or.. hell, ESS AMT1b's also.
View Quote

I'm a '74 Cornwall owner and drive them with some 300b Wright Sound mono blocs, but I listened to these in Vegas at the '04 CES show driven by some Lamm mono blocs.

That might have even been the location that I heard them at.

That they were stellar sounding, doesn't do them justice.

They were driven by roughly ~20w total power, per speaker, if that makes sense?

Chris

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top