Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
3 stings? You should have stayed there and took a total of five all the while saying loudly through clenched teeth "BRING IT."  

Anything less is womanly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Given the fact that their sole mission in life appears to be fucking up spiders, I'm willing to overlook their assault on the OP.

Sorry OP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That'll teach you to fuck with tarantula hawks
Those things are evil.  

Given the fact that their sole mission in life appears to be fucking up spiders, I'm willing to overlook their assault on the OP.

Sorry OP

Tarantulas are cool spiders. The wasp larve will eat the slider avoiding it's vitals to maximize the tarantulas life. After the non vitals are eaten, the larve will then eat the rest of the spider.

Fuck that. Those wasps need the die.

I was shooting last month and one of those damn wasps landed on my bench rest. I remember the day before skipping out on .22 LR shotshell at a Walmart. Wish I had some shot with me and would have blown that thing away.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kill spiders and get hammered in their down time.

My kind of insect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are also drunks...

" Tarantula wasps are also nectarivorous. The consumption of fermented fruit sometimes intoxicates them to the point that flight becomes difficult."

Kill spiders and get hammered in their down time.

My kind of insect.

I've never seen one, and don't feel like I'm less for it, but that's one of the funniest responses I've seen today.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pop a Benadryl or two or drink the max allowed amount.

Best thing to fight the pain and swelling.

I've heard applying Flonase directly to the affected area helps but have never personally tried it.
View Quote

Non FDA approved "off label" use.

But it works pretty good. Not that you heard that from me.

Oh and dibs on optics.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
3 stings from one of the second most painfull stingning things on the planet.  You just got your mancard validated.. hardcore!

in some countries you just entered manhood.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meat tenderizer will ease the pain.
View Quote

1. Grab tenderizer
2.Bash other leg to forget about current pain.
3.????
4. Profit!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Pee on your leg like you would for bull nettle . Takes the burn away.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
OP has gone awfully quiet.

Hope he's OK
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
You are a little woozy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Have someone pee on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meat tenderizer has me scratching my head.

Isn't the venom now in the tissue under the skin?

And since meat tenderizer basically dissolves meat, if it could reach the venom under the skin, it would also be in contact with meat, that meat being your flesh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

meat tenderizer will break down protein based venom
cut onion over the area (folk remedy)
baking soda and vinegar paste (folk remedy)

And since meat tenderizer basically dissolves meat, if it could reach the venom under the skin, it would also be in contact with meat, that meat being your flesh.

the reason meat tenderizer has you scratching your head is because it is really stupid......the so called remedy that is....

used to be a remedy in the old days....apparently not anymore....

Wasp and Hornet Stings

Vinegar - Wasp and hornet venom are powerful alkalines. Use an acid such as vinegar to neutralize them. It can be applied via a piece of cloth or bandaging. Make sure to keep the stings soaked for at least 15 minutes. Some vinegar will absorb through the skin, and it should greatly help eliminate the discomfort.

Bee and Yellow Jacket Stings

Baking Soda - In the case of bee stings, baking soda will help to neutralize the acidic venom. Make a paste by combining baking soda with water. Leave this paste on the sting site for at least 15 minutes. Some of the dissolved baking soda will leach through the skin to neutralize the venom somewhat. After applying it, and cleaning the sting area of residue; a chamomile tincture may be repeatedly applied for any residual itching or swelling.

Emergency Allergic Reactions

If there is difficulty breathing, extreme dizziness, or nausea after a sting, then there is a high probability that it triggered a dangerous allergic reaction. In these cases, we recommend quickly consuming a large (i.e. quadruple) dose of chamomile. Chamomile is related to ragweed, so those with ragweed allergies should skip this step. A large amount of echinacea is also strongly recommended, if available. If pulse irregularities are experienced, then try to take some taurine, even if that means just holding the powder in the mouth. Then immediately get to the nearest hospital. The allergic reaction may stop by the time you arrive at the hospital, but you should definitely make the trip in case it does not. In these unfortunate latter cases, a steroid injection may be required to save your life.

Misinformation About Sting Remedies

Treating most bee, wasp, and hornet stings is easy, but that may be difficult to believe if you have spent any time researching this topic on the Internet. Researching natural treatments for bee, hornet, and wasp stings is revealing about how much misinformation there is on the Internet. Some of it is laughable.

The Incredibly Stupid Sting "Treatments" That We Discourage

Meat tenderizer
   Onion
   Potato
   Mud (literally dirt and water)
   Garlic
   Ammonia
   Vinegar combined with baking soda (neutralize themselves)

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ummmm you might want to get checked out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

View Quote

"The U.S. state of New Mexico chose the tarantula hawk in 1989 to become its official state insect."

WTF?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From wiki: "Their sting is considered the second most painful insect sting in the world".

Good luck OP
View Quote

Very interesting. I suffer from cluster migraines, said to be one of the most painful conditions known to man..

I want to see how this little critter compares. How do I go about acquiring one?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very interesting. I suffer from cluster migraines, said to be one of the most painful conditions known to man..

I want to see how this little critter compares. How do I go about acquiring one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From wiki: "Their sting is considered the second most painful insect sting in the world".

Good luck OP

First, you get a tarantula...

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sorry OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those things are evil.  

Sorry OP
Absolutely.

OP:

Suck it up, and take one for the team.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I got stung on the wrist by one when I was about six.  It left a scar for years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP

I've checked Google eBay and Amazon and can't seem to find one for sale. GD, you're my only hope.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've checked Google eBay and Amazon and can't seem to find one for sale. GD, you're my only hope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP

You're on your own there.

"First you get a tarantula" was as far as I got before my reptilian little hind brain went 'nopenopenope.'

Then the tarantula hawk itself is even scarier. I'll tell you true, if I was to see one of those things in the wild it's full-on panic and little-girl screaming time.

Dignity be damned.

I don't care if they're supposedly non-aggressive, it's a fucking wasp the size of a hand.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Really don't sound like "tarantula hawks".  They are solitary wasps.  OP disturbed a paper wasp nest.  They still hurt like hell.  I know because since childhood stinging flying insects have been my biggest phobia.  For me the more you learn about what scares you the less intimidating it becomes.  Done a lot of research.  Glad we don't have giant Japanese hornets here.  They would scare the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged for info
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"First you get a tarantula" was as far as I got before my reptilian little hind brain went 'nopenopenope.'

Then the tarantula hawk itself is even scarier. I'll tell you true, if I was to see one of those things in the wild it's full-on panic and little-girl screaming time.

Dignity be damned.

I don't care if they're supposedly non-aggressive, it's a fucking wasp the size of a hand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP

Dignity be damned.

I don't doubt it. The description of the sting say all one can do is scream. When I have a full blown cluster-headache I am in so much pain I cannot muster a scream, just labored grunts and whimpers. Thankfully I now have them under control.

Wanting to be stung by one of these is a morbid curiosity, pain is a relative term. You  can get pretty desensitized to it after a while. 3rd degree burns covering the palm of my hand rated only about a 6 of 10. A broken collar bone about a 4. Shooting a nail through my thumb barely registered. I had my bee worker friend sting me with a honeybee just for fun, ya it hurt but I giggled while it was happening.

There is a comparative value here that could be used to describe how bad these are and that's why I want to do it. But I live in North Dakota I am sure they don't live anywhere close.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Those things are evil.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those things are evil.  

Tarantula Hawk is a BAMF.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QFKQePVcL.jpg[img]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck OP

There aren't any in Somalia. If you walk around the Texas hill country on a summer afternoon you can find them. They'll fly from cedar tree to cedar tree and inspect the shady area around the trunk for hiding tarantulas.

The T Hawk is the only insect that has ever attacked me without provocation. I was walking from my car to the house when it came for me. As I ran, I backhanded it out of the air once and it went tumbling, but it came right back. After I had made it to the screened porch, the thing rammed itself against the screen trying to get at me. Maybe it was drunk. I ran inside and grabbed a can of spray glue. I won.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good luck OP
View Quote

Also from wiki article: " the intense pain only lasts about three minutes." OP should be over this by now..........
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Really don't sound like "tarantula hawks".  They are solitary wasps.  OP disturbed a paper wasp nest.  They still hurt like hell.  I know because since childhood stinging flying insects have been my biggest phobia.  For me the more you learn about what scares you the less intimidating it becomes.  Done a lot of research.  Glad we don't have giant Japanese hornets here.  They would scare the shit out of me.
View Quote

They were not paper wasps, with which I am well familiar.  I've been stung before by those also, and no where near the magnitude of pain as this was.  

But I'm still pretty sure they were not true tarantula hawks, either.   They were black with red wings for sure.   But much smaller.   I did some research and Colorado has a smaller version of a spider wasp that is local to this area and its coloring is just like the tarantula hawks.

These were not social, either, as it turns out.   I went out and located the nests.   Lots of them, maybe 10 or 15 all along a dirt edge that was an old flower row next to the lawn.   I didn't disturb a hive, I just drove the mower over a long line of solitary spider wasp nests.  Maybe the size of a joint on your little finger, and they look like little mud versions of a caterpillar cocoon -- some sort of just laying on the ground others partially emerging from the dried mud.   I harvested one (using two plastic dixie cups to scoop it up).   Same kind of wasp came out pissed as shit.   Cracked it open, and inside was a wolf spider, of goodish size -- which we've had a lot of this year.    I didn't see a larvae or any eggs.

Leg still hurts like hell.   The centers of the stings -- right at the middle of the welt -- is starting to darken and turn black.   Just a small black dot right now, but I'm a little concerned about necrosis at that location.  

Did I mention it still hurts like hell?  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Our state insect..... Figures
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not a pepsis Formosa.  I've been hit by one, it is like a soldering iron and cattle prod, then metallic taste in your mouth and all over pain.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I got stung by a black wasp under the fucking fingernail when I was a teenager.  Fuck those things...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I always use heat instead of cold to treat wasp stings.  Feels good man.

I don't know if I'm accelerating the spread of the venom by doing so though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was about 10 a full size tarantula hawk somehow got in the house and into my bedroom. This was shortly after I had read an article about world's most painful insect stings. Going in there to get that fucker was one of the scariest things I have ever done.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not a lot of tarantulas here. I'm sure its SOME KIND of spider waspbut prob not a tarantula hawk.

That said, yes this is the most painful bite/sting. I've ever felt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP

Not a lot of tarantulas here. I'm sure its SOME KIND of spider waspbut prob not a tarantula hawk.

Between your description of the wasp and the sting, I'm gonna have to say it was indeed a tarantula hawk.

Or was it this?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I always use heat instead of cold to treat wasp stings.  Feels good man.

I don't know if I'm accelerating the spread of the venom by doing so though.
View Quote

I have found heat to be far superior at making the pain actually go away.

Works on mosquito bites, too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd love to see pics of them.  I'd also love to post vids of Japanese hornet nest removal on youtube but a tablet sucks for this.  Fucking things look like hummingbirds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
find nest in ground (if it is in the ground)
come back at night
pour gas in the hole
cover hole with large coffee can
they will all die.  
drink a few beers
piss on their grave

Yes I have done this
View Quote

Why cover it with a coffee can? Why not just light it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#38]
You may get a cramp trying this, but if you can rub one out and shoot the splooge all over the bites, the pain will go away.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
come back at night
pour gas in the hole
they will all die.  
drink a few beers
piss on their grave

Yes I have done this

The fumes will ensure they are all dead. I do that with ant beds.

ETA: Coffee can ensures no survivors or fume evaporation

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Between your description of the wasp and the sting, I'm gonna have to say it was indeed a tarantula hawk.

Or was it this?

http://www.dallaspestcontrolreviews.com/resources/img/mud_dauber.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP

Or was it this?

http://www.dallaspestcontrolreviews.com/resources/img/mud_dauber.png

What is this abomination?  I killed one in the house yesterday...i had it wedged against the  window  with a towel...i got creative to kill it.....

Another hornet story...i had  a job where the honey bucketwas less that 5 ft from a 1ft diameter nest...with temps in the 80s, so lots of activity....did not phase me.....this one though....kill it, kill it, kill it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

the reason meat tenderizer has you scratching your head is because it is really stupid......the so called remedy that is....

Wasp and Hornet Stings

Vinegar - Wasp and hornet venom are powerful alkalines. Use an acid such as vinegar to neutralize them. It can be applied via a piece of cloth or bandaging. Make sure to keep the stings soaked for at least 15 minutes. Some vinegar will absorb through the skin, and it should greatly help eliminate the discomfort.

Baking Soda - In the case of bee stings, baking soda will help to neutralize the acidic venom. Make a paste by combining baking soda with water. Leave this paste on the sting site for at least 15 minutes. Some of the dissolved baking soda will leach through the skin to neutralize the venom somewhat. After applying it, and cleaning the sting area of residue; a chamomile tincture may be repeatedly applied for any residual itching or swelling.

If there is difficulty breathing, extreme dizziness, or nausea after a sting, then there is a high probability that it triggered a dangerous allergic reaction. In these cases, we recommend quickly consuming a large (i.e. quadruple) dose of chamomile. Chamomile is related to ragweed, so those with ragweed allergies should skip this step. A large amount of echinacea is also strongly recommended, if available. If pulse irregularities are experienced, then try to take some taurine, even if that means just holding the powder in the mouth. Then immediately get to the nearest hospital. The allergic reaction may stop by the time you arrive at the hospital, but you should definitely make the trip in case it does not. In these unfortunate latter cases, a steroid injection may be required to save your life.

Treating most bee, wasp, and hornet stings is easy, but that may be difficult to believe if you have spent any time researching this topic on the Internet. Researching natural treatments for bee, hornet, and wasp stings is revealing about how much misinformation there is on the Internet. Some of it is laughable.

Meat tenderizer
   Onion
   Potato
   Garlic
   Ammonia

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

meat tenderizer will break down protein based venom
cut onion over the area (folk remedy)
baking soda and vinegar paste (folk remedy)

Wasp and Hornet Stings

Meat tenderizer
   Onion
   Potato
   Garlic
   Ammonia

What do you recommend for scorpion stings?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might make it worse.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
come back at night
pour gas in the hole
they will all die.  
drink a few beers
piss on their grave

Yes I have done this

exactly
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#45]
About 95% sure it was a TH...or a smaller sub species...I got hit by one a while back...I honestly thought I had been shot again...I saw something coming in black and fast in my peripheral vision, he hit me right in the side of the thigh. It took away everything...my whole being was screaming out... It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, I've broken a crap load of bones, been stabbed, burned, hit with a baseball bat...getting shot with an AK round did not honestly hurt as bad. Luckily the bad pain did not last but an hour or so...but it still hurt a week or so later...

This year I got hit by ground hornets of some kind...17 times on the right leg, 4 on the knee got infected and MRSA set in...that was hell...wasps are the debils tool...

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
About 95% sure it was a TH...or a smaller sub species...I got hit by one a while back...I honestly thought I had been shot again...I saw something coming in black and fast in my peripheral vision, he hit me right in the side of the thigh. It took away everything...my whole being was screaming out... It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, I've broken a crap load of bones, been stabbed, burned, hit with a baseball bat...getting shot with an AK round did not honestly hurt as bad. Luckily the bad pain did not last but an hour or so...but it still hurt a week or so later...

This year I got hit by ground hornets of some kind...17 times on the right leg, 4 on the knee got infected and MRSA set in...that was hell...wasps are the debils tool...
View Quote

Holy shiiiiit!  Okay, I wasn't scared before & thought Bald-Faced hornets were pretty bad, but now?  I'm staying in the damn basement.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's a handy guide to wasp field identification.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The link you posted specifically states that while painful, there is no reason to get checked out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The link you posted specifically states that while painful, there is no reason to get checked out.

This why when I'm at my local range I shoot them when I can,  22s, 9s 45s what ever I have close,  yes I'm safe
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Tarantula killers- you got off light. It why I wear pants and long sleeves. You can't crush them without a shoe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"The U.S. state of New Mexico chose the tarantula hawk in 1989 to become its official state insect."

WTF?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

fuckin hardcore.

not like a pussy honey bee or something.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top