Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I am sure that is true.  I am equally sure I still don't like them.

Perhaps Some Reasons To Start...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Always follow the money.
Anyone who says ANY type of photo enforcement isn't about revenue generation is a LYING SACK OF SHIT !!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Still don't like them.

ETA: I have a special hatred in my heart for those intersections that have the dual speeding/red light camera.
Go the speed limit through the intersection on that short yellow light - get a red light ticket.
Hit the gas to get through the intersection on that short yellow light, get a speeding ticket.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like em. Just another tool for cops that can't be everywhere to enforce law.

I also like those speed deals where they set up a radar and photograph plates.

Don't like it? Change the law. until then Don't break the law.

I don't know many police who like red light cameras or speed cameras.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
So what? Having a cop with his citation book riding along with us would cut down on fatal crashes too, so, should we do that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big surprise there its put out by the Insurance Institute

Hardly an impartial study - more tickets/points on driver's licenses, more revenue.

This.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Big Brother approves of this thread.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My city concluded the same thing.

Something like "two years ago we had three deaths at this intersection, last year we only had one.  Clearly red light cameras reduced fatalities by 67%".

Obviously their department spokesperson never had a statistics class.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
solution :

claim to put up red light cameras, do not send out tickets. wage propaganda campaign about people getting redlight tickets. fatal crash rates stays small, and the general public receives no ass buggery.

downside, it must be kept secret. assassination of snoopy news journalist would be an acceptable to protect the secret.

win win !!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
All the blather that red light cameras save lives and to the self righteous idiots who like these evil devices, allow me to tell you my recent run in with a red light ticket.  My notice of running a red light came in the mail last September claiming that I had run a red light.  I look at the picture and sure enough it was my car but it was not me behind the wheel.  No problem you say - yeah right!  Through the web I informed the City of Los Angeles that I was going to fight said ticket and Los Angeles was kind enough to give me an invitation to visit them in court on the 10th of November (Semper Fi & oorah!!).  On the 10th of November I was fortunate enough to stand before a judge who enquired about my guilt or innocence.  I declared my innocence the judge lowered the gavel and requested that I go downstairs and post bail and set up a court date for trial.  Really!?!?! - an arraignment for a traffic infraction!?!?!?! Bail was set for $466 and a court date of 31 January was set - so much for a speedy trial.  So you can see that this topic is fresh in my mind - I spent a day in court yesterday.  At that time I finally met someone that who looked at the evidence - a LAPD motor officer - and agreed that the driver of my car the night in question was not me.  After six hours waiting for my turn before the judge my name is called - the aforementioned LAPD officer speaks up and states the City of Los Angeles is dropping the red light photo infraction.  I do not even say a word other than to thank the judge for his time.  Here's the best part of the whole deal - I WILL NOT SEE MY bail money for another SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS.  Yes the City of Los Angeles will have my money for five months or better. As you can see from the post above my Sixth Amendment Rights were violated in the amendment's totality - and we have ass clowns on this sight who swore an oath to the Constitution and thinks this is a-ok.

You may ask who was driving my car - it is no one that I know and as near as I can remember it was a valet.

The solution is simple for red light infractions and doesn't cost that much money - lengthen the yellow light duration.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another study showed that simply flashing the yellow light during the transition from gree to red was far more effective on reducing crashes and people running the red.

But hey, there's no revenue in flashing yellow lights.

Saint Louis city NETTED a cool 1 Million bucks their first year in service...

It's all about the money. Camera's at busy intersection flash constantly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I believe in the UK they've found that speed cameras and red light cameras have caused accidents to increase.

In any case, I don't care if they cause some barely statistically significant decrease in accidents...camera based traffic enforcement is fucking evil. Traffic enforcement as a means of producing revenue is fucking evil. Bob's speeding ticket inc. interested in handing out as many tickets as possible is fucking evil.

I couldn't have said it better.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All the blather that red light cameras save lives and to the self righteous idiots who like these evil devices, allow me to tell you my recent run in with a red light ticket.  My notice of running a red light came in the mail last September claiming that I had run a red light.  I look at the picture and sure enough it was my car but it was not me behind the wheel.  No problem you say - yeah right!  Through the web I informed the City of Los Angeles that I was going to fight said ticket and Los Angeles was kind enough to give me an invitation to visit them in court on the 10th of November (Semper Fi & oorah!!).  On the 10th of November I was fortunate enough to stand before a judge who enquired about my guilt or innocence.  I declared my innocence the judge lowered the gavel and requested that I go downstairs and post bail and set up a court date for trial.  Really!?!?! - an arraignment for a traffic infraction!?!?!?! Bail was set for $466 and a court date of 31 January was set - so much for a speedy trial.  So you can see that this topic is fresh in my mind - I spent a day in court yesterday.  At that time I finally met someone that who looked at the evidence - a LAPD motor officer - and agreed that the driver of my car the night in question was not me.  After six hours waiting for my turn before the judge my name is called - the aforementioned LAPD officer speaks up and states the City of Los Angeles is dropping the red light photo infraction.  I do not even say a word other than to thank the judge for his time.  Here's the best part of the whole deal - I WILL NOT SEE MY bail money for another SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS.  Yes the City of Los Angeles will have my money for five months or better. As you can see from the post above my Sixth Amendment Rights were violated in the amendment's totality - and we have ass clowns on this sight who swore an oath to the Constitution and thinks this is a-ok.

You may ask who was driving my car - it is no one that I know and as near as I can remember it was a valet.

The solution is simple for red light infractions and doesn't cost that much money - lengthen the yellow light duration.

NEED

MORE

PARAGRAPHS
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Bama:  Studies in Los Angeles determined that having a longer yellow light reduced accidents - not so much the red light cameras.  Another development that is greatly appreciated is the "countdown" portion of the signals being retrofitted.  A signal will tell you how many seconds to yellow, allowing traffic to gently slow down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Well sheeeit! If we just limit all vehicles to 12.5 miles per hour, the death rate would surely be cut even more! If you're not on board with that, you hate children and want them to die. That slope, she's a slippery one..
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sorry that such crap was foisted on you in the name of "safety".  I'm on your side on this, but there's thousands of nanny state losers who will say your mistreatment in this manner is worth it because of a dead person they know or saw once because of a red light being run. They will close their eyes to the fraud and hold on to the bogus "safety' claims, nothing will change their simple minds.  I don't have enough spit in my entire body to spew at those types.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I believe in the UK they've found that speed cameras and red light cameras have caused accidents to increase.

In any case, I don't care if they cause some barely statistically significant decrease in accidents...camera based traffic enforcement is fucking evil. Traffic enforcement as a means of producing revenue is fucking evil. Bob's speeding ticket inc. interested in handing out as many tickets as possible is fucking evil.

Your post was a tad ambiguous, just where do you stand on red light cameras?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cynic in me would ask if that might be due to the lack of "professional courtesy" they offer...

Just kidding

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
The fact that they manipulate the length of the yellow light and take them down when they don't "generate" enough revenue tells you everything you need to know about whether they are for your "safety" or not.

They are BS!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The fact that they manipulate the length of the yellow light and take them down when they don't "generate" enough revenue tells you everything you need to know about whether they are for your "safety" or not.

They are BS!

^This^  I just made a $139 donation to the city of New Orleans, because of a Green............ Yellow..Red light at an intersection I drive through on an almost daily basis.  I also had a nice little meeting with my Capt. since I was in a sheriff's office car.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I despise any form of 'big brother' government intrusion.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bullshit.

YEP
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Is this the study that looked at accidents at other intersections as well? That is reductions in fatalities at intersections without redlight cameras, were attributed to the redlight cameras.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, red light cameras are illegal here. Guess what? Fatals are down almost 50%.

Maybe they needed a better comparison.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Three cheers for private companies enforcing the laws with little or no oversight! Three cheers for the assumption of guilt, and you as a private citizen under the burden of proving innocence to pay a private company in lieu of actual law enforcement!!!

Yay freedom!

BTW, in Ohio every single municipality that has put the red-light scams to a referendum have voted them out. Every. Single. One.

Apparently, and appropriately, people don't like to be fleeced by RedFlex and their local government.

Luckily there are more people like me than you. Otherwise, this country would really fucking suck.

My dad got one of those speeding fines by camera going through New Mexico a couple of years ago.  He just threw it in the trash.  

All that ever happened was they referred it to a collections agency who started calling him on his land line.  And his response to that was to just cancel his phone service since he has a cell phone anyways.

He has a certain amount of crusty curmudgeonyness that I can only try to aspire to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea we should have CCTV everywhere cause you know cops can't see everything. England has the right idea.

Laws that are not enforced or with lack enforcement are not worth paper they are printed on and we slip into lawlessness. If technology enables better enforcement it's win for rule of law. Indeed I have no problem with CCTV in public spaces either,

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I read the numbers at intersections here in Ga. they increased rear end collisions and reduced side collisions , The total number of accidents stayed the same but the type changed . of course revenue went up slightly , the real goal here , then revenue went down when the state required longer yellow light time on places with cameras
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#29]
What a steaming pile of shit that study is.  Worthless, and waste of cash for whoever sponsored it (probably us taxpayers!)
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I read the numbers at intersections here in Ga. they increased rear end collisions and reduced side collisions , The total number of accidents stayed the same but the type changed . of course revenue went up slightly , the real goal here , then revenue went down when the state required longer yellow light time on places with cameras

yeah red light cameras with short yellows are bad ones with normal yellow lights are fine.

just like DUI if you do it 200 times safely on your 201st you might kill a family of 5.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I call BS

Since the price of gas went up, people drive less! Driving less reduces the

risk of accidents.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How much $$$$ did the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety get paid to publish that pile of steaming shit?

ETA: The reason that fatal crashes were less common at these intersections is because people are driving around them, and having their fatal crashes elsewhere.

You might have something there.  I always drive around the two in my area.  It does't add any distance to my route and I don't find myself getting caught in the middle of a yellow having to decide to floor it or slam on the brakes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The cynic in me would ask if that might be due to the lack of "professional courtesy" they offer...

Just kidding

I just think it is unsporting.
My personal feelings on traffic enforcement is that if the ref doesn't call a foul, then it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#35]
We have had them here for two years with no change in red light running accidents. The people who blatently run red lights are distracted drivers either on the cell phone or doing something besides paying attention, red light cameras can't cure that.

What they did find is they made an A$$ load of money off rolling right turns on red and very few people people just barely missing the yellow and who would have cleared intersection before the lights turned green for opposing traffic ( niether offense a safety issue ) . They receantly  had a red light camera dog & pony show for the press and had lots of blatent red light running T-Bone accidents the cameras obviously didn't prevent to help sell thier Money making scheme..
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#36]
The citizens of College Station successfully rose up against the red light cameras and the city took them down.

It sure cut down on all the skid marks leading up to the intersections from the 19 year-old girls who were conditioned to slam on the brakes at the sight of a yellow light...
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have had them here for two years with no change in red light running accidents. The people who blatently run red lights are distracted drivers either on the cell phone or doing something besides paying attention, red light cameras can't cure that.

We had an intersection in our precinct that was notorious for people running the light really bad. It was always the number one corner for accidents as well. They put a camera in over 5 years ago and it is still the number one corner for accidents. It can't even imagine how much money that camera makes the city. During the morning rush hours it goes off almost every change of the light. It's not hard to spot the red light cameras in NYC either, they're huge. Everyone knows they're there but they just don't pay attention.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'm in the minority here when I say I like them.  I don't run red lights, and don't particularly relish the thought of some dickhead in an 8K pound SUV impaling me on his bumper while I am bicycling or riding a motorcycle.

A camera, in the corner, behind the offendant won't automagically prevent accidents
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I would be willing to bet that fatal crashes were lessened but the overall number of crashes increased especially rear endings, which more often than not are not fatal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The citizens of College Station successfully rose up against the red light cameras and the city took them down.

It sure cut down on all the skid marks leading up to the intersections from the 19 year-old girls who were conditioned to slam on the brakes at the sight of a yellow light...

Same thing in Houston.

Good riddance.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top