Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Too bad they didn't burn the flag here in AZ.

It's not free speech here:
It's a ticket (no pun intended) to jail.

Then, he and his buddies could talk to the news media about how they got their asses kicked by their cell dorm mates.

Jay

View Quote

Don't get me wrong I would like to see the two punks fucked with for burning our flag but how can Az. go against the ruling by SCOTUS?
They did rule thats it's legal and some towns have already been sued for trying to backdoor the ruling by charging people with arson or littering.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then, he and his buddies could talk to the news media about how they got their asses kicked by their cell dorm mates.

Jay

View Quote

Don't get me wrong I would like to see the two punks fucked with for burning our flag but how can Az. go against the ruling by SCOTUS?
They did rule thats it's legal and some towns have already been sued for trying to backdoor the ruling by charging people with arson or littering.
View Quote

Don't argue with cops. They know the law and whats good for you lowly civilians!! SCOTUS don't mean shit!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[red]Giving someone an ass whoopin for burning the flag is as much free speech as burning the flag itself is[/red]. Granted it would also be assault, but freedom of expression none the less.
View Quote

Not even close. Nobody has the [b]RIGHT[/b] to cause physical harm to another unless defending yourself from a physical threat.

Just because you accept the consequences of breaking the law (ass whippin) does not make it ok that it happened.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sure Rip, ok I wil grant you that burning the flag is a form of free speech, BUT

The ass kicking they got is also the result of their actions, as far as I am concerned, they got what they deserved.

Free speech comes with responsibility, just as the Right to Keep and Bear Arms....
View Quote

Uh.....ok!

If someone (anti) decides to BEAT YOU WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE because you own guns is that ok? After-all, You must accept the results of your actions!!(you decided to exercise your 2nd amendment)is that right?

Like I said, Some of you are HYPOCRITES!!

It amazes me that some of you think its ok and protected under the Constitution to beat this kid!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Well Rip it is like this,

My family has PAID THE COST for the FLAG and this COUNTRY.. Wheres the respect,HUH, WHERE, these little brats got what they had comeing, just wish I had been there to do it myself..

Burn the FLAG in front of me and you will wish you had never been born.

And if some anti wants to try to kick my ass, BRING IT ON

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,

If the assault goes past a few slaps or a black eye, then I side with Rip.   If the kid shows no resistance, the point is made the expression made that flag burning is not on  in the eyes of the assaulter.  

If the guy breaks ribs and hospitalizes the kid, then I say throw the punk (he is one now) in jail.  

Freedom of expression takes many forms.  Even to a slap or minor punch/shove.  I doubt Rip and I will agree here.  But, true harm is where freedom of expression ends.

A slap is a wake up call that expressing yourself publicly might have consequences.  A trip to the  hospital is criminal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
The NEW bill of rights according to 1shott

Do not exercise freedom of speech in front of me or you will wish you were never born!

Do not exercise you second amendment in front of me or you will wish you were never born!

Do not exercise the right to keep soldies out of my house in time of peace in front of me or you will wish you were never born!

Do not exercise you right to be secure in your person or house/papers in front of me or you will wish you were never born!

Do not exercise you right to not be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
in front of me or you will wish you were never born!

Do not exercise you right to a speedy and public trial in front of me or you will wish you were never born!

ETC..ETC...you get the drift.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure Rip, ok I wil grant you that burning the flag is a form of free speech, BUT

The ass kicking they got is also the result of their actions, as far as I am concerned, they got what they deserved.

Free speech comes with responsibility, just as the Right to Keep and Bear Arms....
View Quote

Uh.....ok!

If someone (anti) decides to BEAT YOU WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE because you own guns is that ok? After-all, You must accept the results of your actions!!(you decided to exercise your 2nd amendment)is that right?

Like I said, Some of you are HYPOCRITES!!

It amazes me that some of you think its ok and protected under the Constitution to beat this kid!
View Quote

Rip, you're in Texas, right? Isn't Texas one of the states that still recognizes "fighting words", the concept that a person can be incited to a violent act by the statement of another? If I walk up to a black man and call him a 'fu**en ni**er', I'm exercising my right to free speech. However, many courts would hold him blameless if he kicked my ass for it.

Burning an American flag is an act specifically designed to incite rage. One can't be too surprised when one actually gets the response that was intended.

It's also interesting that a self proclaimed anarcist called the cops. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking of you the other day when in a thread some AF kid said he knew what sacrifice was. LOL....He rode in a HUMVEE without Air Conditioning. OMFG I could not believe it. You were right!!

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Rip,

SHOVE IT...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Geez!! What's with all this "Rights", and "constitution", bullshit?? The kid did a public act someone disagreed with, and they went over and slapped him around. This was not action of govt. It's a criminal, and or civil matter between the individuals concerned. If two officers were "harrassing" him, then there's a problem.

While I could forsee certain circumstances when I myself may burn a flag, if I had been at this demonstration, the cops would prolly not be looking for a perp, they'd already have him. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, let's call it what it is. It wasn't really an ass whoopin,the kid got slapped up a little, because he pushed the line a little to far. Let's call it a lesson in "learn by association". It's not the law of the USA, It's the law of nature. Try to take the food from the big bad dog, get bit. Try to burn the flag, someone slaps you up. Easy lesson to learn.
Hundreds of thousands of our soldiers have died for our flag, their voices were heard in those slaps. Yah, yah, yah, they died so some idiot CAN burn the flag. Try it on Veterans Day in front of some Viet Nam vets and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those kids that did the Ass Whipping  as you call it should be charged with assault.

Burning the flag is protected under freedom of speech. People have no right to kick his ass for exercising his right.

You cannot pick and choose the amendments you like and trash the others.
You people are a bunch of hypocrites!!

The Supreme Court justices have determined that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because some people find it offensive.
View Quote

Guilty of assault? Sure.. no prob.

Burning the flag is free speech? Horse shit.
Not when burning a cross or the like is a "hate crime"

I'm not on the supreme court. I'm not passing any laws. You burn my flag, you get what's coming to you. Legal or no. It is called civil(or in this case less than civil) disobedience.

As to your allegation of hypocrisy. Whatever!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]
It pleases me to see this dipshit get pounded but what I'm really looking forward to is what the real world does with him when he leaves the safety of the campus.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Yelling FIRE in a crowded room can result in serious injury to the occupants (stampede/panic) that is why its not protected.
View Quote
Burning the flag shouldn't be protected for this same reason; it often reults in personal injury (happily, this injury occurs usually to the stupid bastard doing the burning).
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#16]
The constitution has been so amended, misinterpreted, ignored and arbitrarily and capriciously applied by every level of government (especially congress who routinely passes unconstitutional laws that stay on the books until they get to the supreme court), that it is almost meaningless today.   Rights?  Give me a break.  When some idiot can tell me I can't pray to God because it might offend him, or that I can't hire who I want in my business, or that I can't defend my family from a rapist because it might violate HIS rights, and the supreme court says that upholds all that as being constitutional, then the constitution ain't worth the paper it's written on.

F*** the law.  There are too many laws.  Most of them are downright stupid (Mala prohibitae as opposed to Mala en se) and totally useless.  We are NOT a nation of laws, we are a nation of people, hopefully with common sense.  What this kid got, he deserved and what the guy that gave it to him deserves is a medal, or at least a pat on the back for a job well done.  He is NOT a criminal, he is a patriot and should be an example to us all.  The gene pool would be much better off without that little flag burning puke.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#17]
What if you burn a flag in a crowded theater and someone yells "FIRE"?

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]

NEW MEXICO TECH - New Mexico Tech police are searching for a man who is accused of pummeling a student in his dorm room last Saturday, [red]two days[/red] after the student joined friends in burning an American flag on campus.
View Quote

What took them so long?

Also, note the essays on his website:

The time for compromises and half measures is over. The time for meaningful action is now. Our pacifism, indifference, and submission to the American empire is complicity and nothing short of criminal. We must act. We must use all tactics available to us, [red]including violence[/red], to stop the lunatics that have taken control of our nation, and this world. If we do not succeed in stopping the United States of America, we will all be just as guilty as George W. Bush is. We will have condoned some of the most heinous crimes the world has ever seen, and future generations will be justified in holding us accountable for our actions.
View Quote

Note how he recommends the use of violence to stop the "Bush Empire", but he calls the police when he gets a few well-deserved smacks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Protected speech poo-poo...

Too many have died for that flag and what it stands for.

Burn a flag around me and get prepare to tie one on...

Simple...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
My god what has the world come to.  

Rip,

I think you are as full of shit as a christmas goose.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
i would have beat that fucking kid the way Sarge beat Beetle Bailey.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Rip, Do we stand by and do nothing when one burns our FLAG for whatever reason ?
Do we stand by and do nothing when one destroys the LIBERTY BELL ?
Do we stand by and do nothing when one burns the original documents of our DECLARATION ?
Do we stand by and do nothing when one topples the WASHINGTON MONUMENT ?
Do you get what I saying ?
Where do we draw the LINE ?
Showing  disrespect even when its just FREEDOM OF SPEECH to any of these mentioned above requires an ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT. [stick]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
at least he has a cute sister:

[url]http://www.nmt.edu/~mcone/pictures/pond.jpg[/url]  

[b]ATTN: check the hometown forum, NM members[/b]
View Quote

HAHAHAH  I was going to post the same thing [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#24]
On the day that all guns are banned, America will have died.   The concept and constitution will no longer mean anything.  And the flag will stand for a dead ideal.  I will be on the  courthouse steps burning an American flag.  If you got a problem I'll be right there with the lighter in my hand.

Some of you guys are missing Rips point.  And rude to boot.

There is a time and place where burning the flag is a legitimate form of protest.  No, not this jackass kid.  And again, provided the guy who hit him is prepared to pay the penalty for assault, no problemo.  He felt he had to do it.  Consequences for being a  jackass kid with no clue - consequences for being a violence prone flag waver.  (Funny him being an anarchist and calling the cops)

But there damn well may come a time when the flag stands for a concept that has died.  At that time, making  a point will be important.  How you gonna do it?  Holding up signs?

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay

View Quote

View Quote

Don't argue with cops. They know the law and whats good for you lowly civilians!! SCOTUS don't mean shit!!
View Quote

[url]http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03703.htm[/url]

The statute was last modified in 1978, and apparently, has has not yet been challenged, so it stands.

The law also allows that if congress passes a statute allowing flag burning, then that part of the law if void:
I'm sure that federal statute will be coming out of congress any day now.

Hell, it doesn't say anything about a Texas flag, but you can bet I'll give it a go in court before I let that pass as acceptable.

I don't know if anyone has ever been charged with it or not.

I think our disorderly conduct charge would cover the behavior, but I would likely charge for both.

So, if anyone cares to become a test case for SCOTUS, come to our county, have a pro free speech demonstration, burn a US flag (what the hell: Burn a few), and we'll see you in Washington DC in about 4 years:
Hey, you'll be famous.

Jay

Edit to fix bad link
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
13-3703. Abuse of venerated objects; classification

A. A person commits abuse of venerated objects by intentionally:

1. Desecrating any public monument, memorial or property of a public park; or

2. In any manner likely to provoke immediate physical retaliation:

(a) Exhibiting or displaying, placing or causing to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon a flag or exposing or causing to be exposed to public view a flag upon which there is printed, painted or otherwise produced or to which there is attached, appended or annexed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement; or

(b) Exposing to public view, manufacturing, selling, offering to sell, giving or having in possession for any purpose any article of merchandise or receptacle for holding or carrying merchandise upon or to which there is printed, painted, placed or attached any flag in order to advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark or distinguish the article or substance; or

(c) Casting contempt upon, mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, trampling or otherwise dishonoring or causing to bring dishonor upon a flag.

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

1. Any act permitted by a statute of the United States; or

2. Any act permitted by United States military regulations; or

3. Any act where the United States government has granted permission for the use of such flag; or

4. A newspaper, periodical, book, pamphlet, circular, certificate, diploma, warrant, commission of appointment to office, ornament, picture, badge or stationery on which shall be printed, painted or placed such flag and which is disconnected from any advertisement for the purpose of sale, barter or trade.

C. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Desecrate" means defacing, damaging, polluting or otherwise doing a physical act in a manner likely to provoke immediate physical retaliation.

2. "Flag" means any emblem, banner or other symbol, of any size, composed of any substance or represented on any substance that evidently purports to be the flag of the United States or of this state.

D. Abuse of venerated objects is a class 2 misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The statute was last modified in 1978, and apparently, has has not yet been challenged, so it stands.
View Quote

No it does not stand and it HAS been challenged!! The U.S. Supreme Court (BTW thats the highest court in the land for you cops in AZ) TEXAS v. JOHNSON, 491 U.S. 397 (1989) has determined that it is LEGAL!

Your law is null and void! Johnson was convicted of Abuse of venerated objects and it failed to stick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No it does not stand and it HAS been challenged!! The U.S. Supreme Court (BTW thats the highest court in the land for you cops in AZ) TEXAS v. JOHNSON, 491 U.S. 397 (1989) has determined that it is LEGAL!

Your law is null and void! Johnson was convicted of Abuse of venerated objects and it failed to stick.
View Quote

It's not my law, and it's on the books, so I'll use it if need be.

RipMeyer v. Arizona:
It has a good ring to it.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]
AZCOP actually now that you have been informed that the law is invalid you have a duty to check it out ,if you fail to do this and arrest someone now that you have been informed that the law is no longer on the books [red](and it isn't the very second SCOTUS says it's not)[/red] you will committing a felony.

You wouldn't want to do that ,would you? [:D]

If some idiot burns a flag infront of you be creative and then make sure he resists.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#30]
And for the record ,ask Eric the (he knows the law) Hun
A law need not be repealed by a state to be invalid,the very instance a law is struck down by the SCOTUS it is null and void and does not exist,[red][b]PERIOD![/b][/red]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If someone (anti) decides to BEAT YOU WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE because you own guns is that ok?

1.  If I have a gun they are going to have a real difficult time beating me at all.

2.  If someone is stupid enough to bring a fist to a gunfight they deserve to be shot.

3.  Who gives a flying f*** what the law states in this case?  Right is right.  Justice often exists outside the written law.  This little jerk got what he deserved and the guy who busted his butt is someone who deserves our congradulations on a job well done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Having a so-called "right" to do something does not automatically mean one is morally/ethically right in doing it.  

While I don't condone a physical assault upon another person, I can understand what motivated the whooper's action upon the whoopee.  This was probably the first time in this kid's life that somebody did him the favor of connecting behavior and consequences.

These PC types demand that things they find offensive be banned (again, the Confederate flag is a prime example), yet demand "tolerance" for their offensive actions.  You can't have it both ways.  As far as flag burning being a form of speech, I remember commentary from a dissenting Justice who said that as far as "speech" goes it's about as articulate as a grunt.  

The parents of these kids did not teach them respect.  This will make life harder for them when they leave the sheltered, make-believe, theoretical realm of the campus and enter the real world.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Anarchist?  Likes punk, eh?

Yeah?  Look at the pics of him on the beach, wearing abercombrie(no idea how to spell it) crap, on a family vacation to Hawaii.  He's a rich boy.  He'd get the fuck beaten out of him at a show.

I'm suprised he wasn't wearing a blink 18223092/green day shirt.  Wannabe.  Poseur.  He'll get out of college, get a job, and forget all about 'anarchy.'  Instead, he'll start buying Micheal Bolton CD's for his BMW, going to soccer practice with his kids, and having dinner parties.  He'll always be a raging liberal, but his views will mellow.  He's hardly a fanatical anarchist.

One day he'll learn the real meaning of anarchy...it's when 5 blue collar hc kids beat the shit out of you for being a rich little privileged faggot who pretends to be part of the scene.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top