Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm at the point where I've kept all of my gains and just added back my 5-10 pounds of chubb.  I used to think my body was a nightmare but honestly I put on muscle very quickly and I don't lose it despite sitting on my ass.  Only thing that happens is my gut shows back up and my tits go soft.  

Oh yea, quit being a puss and lift.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been a full blown meat neck before and I won't do it again. Good for throwing around a shit ton of iron but that's about it.

The happy medium is where it's at.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.  -  Mark Rippetoe
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.  -  Mark Rippetoe
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a skinny guy as is but in last 6 weeks from being laid off from work, I have lost 20 lbs from not working hard and being hungry very much. What is the best type of program to do at home with limited equipment and lack of a full fridge? I do tree work so its strength training and cardio everyday..
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm lifting a couple times a week and doing 1 hour 600 calorie burn sessions on my exercise bike twice a week on off days. When I lift I'm doing low rep 6-8 sets to failure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of conflicting opinions in this thread. Do you even lift.. Bros

not really.  what pretty much everyone has said is that it's not something to concern yourself about, unless 1: you're trying to lift in order to look pretty instead of get stronger and be healthy, or 2: your idea of cardio is running a marathon.

do cardio.

I'm lifting a couple times a week and doing 1 hour 600 calorie burn sessions on my exercise bike twice a week on off days. When I lift I'm doing low rep 6-8 sets to failure.

600 calories = a cheeseburger.

i think your gains are safe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

wow.  just wow.  the following is what you should have learned in high school:

physical exertion requires energy, which is measured in calories.  calories are present in food, and enter the body through eating and digestion.  if you are exerting so much energy that your food intake does not provide enough calories, your body goes to its backup source--calories stored in fat.  if you aren;t getting enough food, and have no fat, your body turns to its backup backup source--burning muscle.  

so unless you are exerting a tremendous amount of energy, eating poorly, and are already so shredded that your body has practically no fat to burn (say, under 4%), you aren't going to be burning muscle.

this ignores the ambiguity of "muscle gain", which can imply either size or strength.  the latter should be of primary concern, and is not going to be jeopardized by cardio unless you're basically starving.

seriously man--it's about health, not glamor.
View Quote

I don't know that much about it, but I remember reading that at some point in order to provide nutrient to the brain the body breaks down protein along with fat.  That is, you can't survive 100% on ketosis because the brain needs glycogen.  That's why most low-carb/high-fat diets are usually moderate to high-protein.  PSMF is built around taking in very very few calories while preventing muscle loss by consuming absurd amounts of protein because otherwise even the biggest fatass will lose some muscle on a really low calorie diet.

I guess that's got more to do with nutrition than cardio, though, so I'll shut up now.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
This last year I went from 253 to 225 playing adult dodgeball for 3 to 4 hours straight every Tuesday night.  I started running back in September and didn't see a damn change and actually gained weight. 2-3 miles a night either as constant pace or circuits. Now I lift three times a week power lifting.  I still play dodgeball and run the same nights I lift.  I weighed 241 last night.  I'm 6'4" 32 years old.

I eat nothing but healthy food, no soda, no alcohol, try to keep my protein intake at 150 to 200 grams.  I can Out play the 18 year olds on Tuesday and have extremely good energy.. I'm a good athletic build, getting real close to a realistic capt. America according to my girlfriend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't sweat my muscles cry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

That is posted in his gym.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't know that much about it, but I remember reading that at some point in order to provide nutrient to the brain the body breaks down protein along with fat.  That is, you can't survive 100% on ketosis because the brain needs glycogen.  That's why most low-carb/high-fat diets are usually moderate to high-protein.  PSMF is built around taking in very very few calories while preventing muscle loss by consuming absurd amounts of protein because otherwise even the biggest fatass will lose some muscle on a really low calorie diet.

I guess that's got more to do with nutrition than cardio, though, so I'll shut up now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

physical exertion requires energy, which is measured in calories.  calories are present in food, and enter the body through eating and digestion.  if you are exerting so much energy that your food intake does not provide enough calories, your body goes to its backup source--calories stored in fat.  if you aren;t getting enough food, and have no fat, your body turns to its backup backup source--burning muscle.  

so unless you are exerting a tremendous amount of energy, eating poorly, and are already so shredded that your body has practically no fat to burn (say, under 4%), you aren't going to be burning muscle.

this ignores the ambiguity of "muscle gain", which can imply either size or strength.  the latter should be of primary concern, and is not going to be jeopardized by cardio unless you're basically starving.

mine was the jock version--i'm not a nutritionerd.

seriously though, for practical fitness, the possibility of very minor mass loss is vastly outweighed by the health dividends of cardio.  for just about anyone outside of competitive bodybuilding, it's a trivial issue.

if a guy is so obsessed with getting swoll that he is willing to damage his body, he might as well be juicing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

seriously though, for practical fitness, the possibility of very minor mass loss is vastly outweighed by the health dividends of cardio.  for just about anyone outside of competitive bodybuilding, it's a trivial issue.

if a guy is so obsessed with getting swoll that he is willing to damage his body, he might as well be juicing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't disagree with that at all.  Cardio might have some small effect on "muh gainz", but it has tons of other health benefits at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fitness requires 4 things.

Endurance
Strength
Speed
The ability to recover.
View Quote

Flexibility
Balance
Explosiveness
Agility
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Flexibility
Balance
Explosiveness
Agility
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endurance
Strength
Speed
The ability to recover.

Flexibility
Balance
Explosiveness
Agility

Spandex
Selfies
backwards baseball caps
shaved junk
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
If you lift enough, you don't need cardio ,,,,,,, because you don't hav to run from nuffin
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a skinny guy as is but in last 6 weeks from being laid off from work, I have lost 20 lbs from not working hard and being hungry very much. What is the best type of program to do at home with limited equipment and lack of a full fridge? I do tree work so its strength training and cardio everyday..
View Quote

This might intrest you. I posted looking for a poor mans dumbbell workout program.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I lift twice a week right now and do very little cardio.  6'2", medium slim and muscular build, currently 210lbs.

I did spend a whole summer two years ago lifting 3X a week and taking Krav Maga 2X a week while sticking to a 1400 calorie diet along with protein supplements.  I got pretty cut and had a really hard time keeping the muscle I had built up, the smoke sessions and repeated max output striking etc. really burn you up.  

Going to start Krav again in a month or so and add in another day of lifting, but I think I need to research diet so that once I lose my current fat padding, I can keep my gains and maybe still put on some more mass and strength.

My typical diet is oatmeal or two scrambled eggs with salsa for breakfast.
Lunch is generally a cheeseburger
Dinner is usually two servings of some sort of lean meat (fish, chicken, pork, or beef), a vegetable, and a potato.

I use Creatine supplement prior to working out for a carb and recovery boost.
I also drink a 20g protein shake after each workout.

Anyone with more knowledge than myself have any diet hints or resources to share?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you do for exercise?

I lift weights.

What about cardio?

I lift weights faster.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As others have said, unless you have no fat, don't eat enough and are training for a marathon or something it's not really something you need to be worried about.

I was a swimmer in high school, and pretty much did't have any fat at all (like many high school athletes). Our hell week was the week before thanksgiving, and every day for a week we would have to swim 10,000 yards in two hours. My friends and I lost pretty much all body fat by Tuesday, and the rest of the week we were burning pure muscle seemingly despite eating at much food as we could physically consume. At the end of the week, we were always about 10 lbs lighter than when we started.

Now, I do crossfit and don't worry about such things.

People can say what they want, but it works. .
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#21]

This guy needs to find a bar and a squat rack and start squatting and deadlifting RIGHT NOW!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've read a few articles that say doing cardio will ruin your muscle gains from strength training by burning your muscles off.

Discuss.
View Quote

I have the answer.... CrossFit!  
No seriously, it DOES work if you go to a good CF gym and watch your diet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HIIT training is the best way to either keep/add muscle while having a cardio program, or for when you want to cut.

HIIT works wonders for me when I go into a cut phase every spring snd summer.

http://i.imgur.com/GAGfPkt.jpg

I remind my cousin of this every chance I get.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Spandex
Selfies
backwards baseball caps
shaved junk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endurance
Strength
Speed
The ability to recover.

Flexibility
Balance
Explosiveness
Agility

Spandex
Selfies
backwards baseball caps
shaved junk

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As others have said, unless you have no fat, don't eat enough and are training for a marathon or something it's not really something you need to be worried about.

I was a swimmer in high school, and pretty much did't have any fat at all (like many high school athletes). Our hell week was the week before thanksgiving, and every day for a week we would have to swim 10,000 yards in two hours. My friends and I lost pretty much all body fat by Tuesday, and the rest of the week we were burning pure muscle seemingly despite eating at much food as we could physically consume. At the end of the week, we were always about 10 lbs lighter than when we started.

A good read on t-nation about crossfit

Disclaimer: never done crossfit in my life and like to mock the kipping as much as anyone else. But crossfit looks like real work, and fuck that. I'd rather just throw weight around the gym.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I get plenty of 'cardio' on leg day.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Do you even Fitness subforum bro?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This might intrest you. I posted looking for a poor mans dumbbell workout program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks bud, I have a few dumbbells and a bar with 100 lbs...i need to bulk back up but it is near impossible with my metabolism...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thanks bud, I have a few dumbbells and a bar with 100 lbs...i need to bulk back up but it is near impossible with my metabolism...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it's not. Eat more.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Spandex
Selfies
backwards baseball caps
shaved junk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endurance
Strength
Speed
The ability to recover.

Flexibility
Balance
Explosiveness
Agility

Spandex
Selfies
backwards baseball caps
shaved junk

I lol'ed
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No it's not. Eat more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it's not. Eat more.  

This.

You have got to eat above your maintenance requirments to add muscle.

You also need to meet your macro nutrient needs or you will just be spinning your wheels at some point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:00:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://broscience.co/horrible-deadlifts-crossfit-games/
Watching cross fitters attempt to deadlift is the funniest fucking thing on the planet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#33]
dam... I may start doing cardio 4 times a week... I'll do it When I get an idea in my head nothing stops me. I just want to be in perfect shape... like spider man! I'm 6-3" and 209 lbs. I've been working out regularly for 4 months now and dieting for 7 so I'm serious about results. I was into body building in my early to mid 20's so I'm waiting for that muscle memory to kick in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Sprints.  Interval training.

Longer runs at low and moderate heart rate change the metabolism, increase stress hormones.  

The newest research on athletes and ketosis-- this is where it's at.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Excelling at both is hard for most people to do. Pick the one that meets your main goals and make it your priority, with out leaving the other one out.

I need to do some cardio myself
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Excelling at both is hard for most people to do. Pick the one that meets your main goals and make it your priority, with out leaving the other one out.

I need to do some cardio myself[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]
View Quote

I have faith in you bro!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I lift 5 mornings a week.   Before I lift I run 7 minute mile, just enough to get my heart going fast, but not fast enough to drain me.

In the evenings I do kickboxing 3 days a week and I run two days, around 2-4 miles each.

Im 6'1", 205lbs.  I eat two protein shakes a day and take amino acids during my workout, eat 3 eggs and a banana for breakfast, a salad with meat for lunch, and a normal dinner.

With this workout plan I have not experienced a loss in measurable and consistent strength gains.  I generally stay at the same weight and just get stringer and faster.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#38]
For the vast majority of people that really does not apply.

If you're lifting enough that you're trying to get stronk, you're not going to be someone running endurance races.  And vice versa.  It's two completely opposite ends of the spectrum athletically.

Now it may affect your planning as far as what or how much you do on certain days.  For instance I usually limited cardio to no more than 30 minutes on days before I was doing squats, depending on if I was feeling the CRS or not.

But I always did both.  Because I needed both power development and cardio endurance for different purposes.  And I never had any problem getting stronger.  But I ate well and plenty, and worked my ass off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Longer runs at low and moderate heart rate change the metabolism, increase stress hormones.  

View Quote

i had no idea about the science of it, but i always preferred sprint workouts to "running".  sprint 100M, walk 100M, repeat, then sprint 200M, walk 200M, repeat...working up to 400M.  only rules were never stop moving, and sprint as hard as you can go.

this workout used to absolutely crush the distance guys i'd run with, but in fairness i have to admit that their workouts wrecked me, also.  the decision to quit working together was completely mutual.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:25:24 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to do some cardio myself[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/url]

I have faith in you bro!!!

Mmmm...cardio
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:31:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Excelling at both is hard for most people to do.
View Quote

That is about as plain, and accurate an answer as you can get.  Without assistance, or hitting the genetic jackpot, it is very difficult to do both, and recover properly.  You can be generally okay at both, but it takes very careful planning to have great endurance, and great strength numbers.  It isn't that the "cardio" is "burning" your muscles; cardio can interfere with proper recovery, which is one of the most important aspects of building strength (or size, if that's your thing).  Interestingly, it seems that it isn't even an issue of only steady-state cardio being the culprit, as many HIIT proponents believe.  Some HIIT protocols seem to demonstrate a greater effect on strength, requiring even more careful timing, and more recovery than LISS.

The big name, as of late, in strength AND endurance is Alex Viada.  He manages to compete in both endurance races, and powerlifting meets in the same season, without looking foolish.  I'm sure he isn't 100% clean, but he is still rather exceptional.  Here is an interview where he addresses some of the concerns
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

i had no idea about the science of it, but i always preferred sprint workouts to "running".  sprint 100M, walk 100M, repeat, then sprint 200M, walk 200M, repeat...working up to 400M.  only rules were never stop moving, and sprint as hard as you can go.

this workout used to absolutely crush the distance guys i'd run with, but in fairness i have to admit that their workouts wrecked me, also.  the decision to quit working together was completely mutual.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fartlek training....google it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://broscience.co/horrible-deadlifts-crossfit-games/
Watching cross fitters attempt to deadlift is the funniest fucking thing on the planet.
View Quote

That was painful to watch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I do cardio while I lift heavy four days a week; one primary compound lift- bench, squat, mil press and deads followed up by a rotation of high intensity accessory lifts to round out the day. They get the cardiovascular system pumping.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

And it's true brother!  3 more weeks and I'll be in houston!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I get plenty of 'cardio' on leg day.
View Quote

You are either trolling or you actually get it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#48]

This

HIIT tends to spare muscle tissue more than straight cardio..

and takes less time.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

HIIT training is the best way to either keep/add muscle while having a cardio program, or for when you want to cut.

HIIT works wonders for me when I go into a cut phase every spring snd summer.
View Quote

i can and will 2nd and 3rd this statement..  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

a few things to throw a wrench into that..    strong following shows your brain runs better on ketones than glycogen ..  also.  your liver will break down excessive protein into glycogen as well ,  and can kick you out of keto especially if your not adapted..  but ill shut up now b.c thats some shit OP doesn't give a damn about  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top