Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
FLGreg....

You have my support. I stopped 10 years ago... Good luck man!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You'd think those guys in the pics would have quit and gotten medical attention before the tumors got that big.  They must be on an HMO.

Now for the serious part:

I've been dipping Copenhagen for the past 25 years (since high school) with no ill effects - so far. My dentist knows I dip (he doesn't like it) and gives me a thorough lip and gum exam every six months.  The only thing is a little thinning of the gums in the front where I used to put the pinch.  Now I just move it from side to side.

I always said that I would quit when a can reached $2.00, then it was $3, and then it was $4.  When it got to $5.00/can a few weeks ago, I swore I was going to quit and stopped going the Kwickie-Mart for my fix.  Then I learned something:  Wal-Mart sells Copenhagen by the sleeve!  Buy in bulk and save money.

I read somewhere dipping is more addictive than heroin.  I did quit for 6 months a few years ago - a New Year's Resolution…but then I just took up smoking.  During one particularly bad day in June (my brother had a heart attack) I went back to the Cope.  When I try to quit cold turkey I get VERY irritable and cranky - so much so that the wife has actually left the house, unbeknownst to me, and brought a can home.

I know I need to quit but I am weak and, before this thread, I did not have the willpower

I guess, as with all addictions, admitting you have a problem is the first step.  So I am coming out to you all here today, stepping up to the plate and making my stand here and now.  My name is FLGreg and I AM A COPE ADDICT!!!

I'm with you VTHOKIESHOOTER.  I just threw away my last 2 cans & spittoon that sat on my desk for years and I am getting on the wagon with you today.  RIGHT NOW!

I can do this.  Hell, I kicked my carbohydrate addiction just before Halloween and have dropped more than 20lbs so far.  If I can give up Little Debbie Swiss Cakes I can do this.

Sorry to ramble on but I’ve had an epiphany here.  I am a changed man.  It’s a Festivus Miracle!

------------------------------------

After work, I am going to the pharmacy before “the Jonesing” starts.  What do you all recommend?  The Patch or the Gum?

I have found that sunflower seeds work well too but they make me really thirsty.  Congrats on quitting as well......I feel you pain and I have only been at it for a short span.  Can't image trying to quit after that many years.  I have gotten through today, hopefully tomorrow won't be any worse.......either way I will suck it up like I did today.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick with it and beat the stupid addiction.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd rather watch somebody drink their own urine, than watch 'em spit brown loogies all over the place.

Nasty, ugly habit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't give up, and tough it out........You can do it. I quit dipping/chewing 3 years ago....cold turkey.

I'll admit that it was one of the toughest things I've accomplished, but I made it. I did turn into an pissed off oger for a while, but it doesn't last long.

I don't need to buy two cans a day for $4.00+ a can!  I took all the money that I used to spend on tobacco, and saved it.

I bought a new Springfield 1911! That was motivation and reward in one!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't give up, and tough it out........You can do it. I quit dipping/chewing 3 years ago....cold turkey.

I'll admit that it was one of the toughest things I've accomplished, but I made it. I did turn into an pissed off oger for a while, but it doesn't last long.

I don't need to buy two cans a day for $4.00+ a can!  I took all the money that I used to spend on tobacco, and saved it.

I bought a new Springfield 1911! That was motivation and reward in one!

Thanks.  I was (feels kinda wierd saying) a 1 1/2 can a day dipper.  I did the math as part of my decision this afternoon and yes it adds up.  I'm not like a lot of guys here who buys a new firearm every week/month but I do treat myself to a new one every year - after Christmas in January.  I still haven't decided on what I'm getting this year with all the money I'll be freeing up.

I got the Patch and some gum after work.  So far so good.  It will be interesting about 11:00 and 2 or 3 Rum/Diet Cokes in me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd rather watch somebody drink their own urine, than watch 'em spit brown loogies all over the place.

Nasty, ugly habit.

Ewwww

Overshare.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, one other thing not often mentioned:

Your bowels become used to the nicotien as well. Ever notice the results of your first dip / smoke of the morning?

Plan acccordingly during the early parts of your withdrawl.

Oh, OMT, absolutley change the habits that make you want to dip or smoke. Used to having  beer and smokes? Drink wine or (eep!) coolers for awhile....

efxguy

smoke free for 15 years and counting....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Well shit, I might as well try to quit again too.  I ran out of Cope' a few hours ago.

I work around about 15-20 people who dip, and I work 11 hrs./day, so this won't be easy.

Good luck guys.

Balming
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait till you get to the outdoor range. I tried quiting once but once the opportunity to spit anywhere i felt like it and shoot some guns i broke down. The best motivation to me would be like what some of the others have said. Use the saved money to buy firearms! Trade one bad habit to satisfy your healthy habbit .
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Day 6:

Going to suck this is where I have broken down in the past.  The weather is cold and I am tired.  Going to be hard but I am going to tough it out.  Good luck to the rest of y'all who are quitting also.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Day 6:

Going to suck this is where I have broken down in the past.  The weather is cold and I am tired.  Going to be hard but I am going to tough it out.  Good luck to the rest of y'all who are quitting also.

You can do this, man.

Buy an extra pack of gum, and try not to spend any more time outside today than you have to.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Day 6:

Hang in there.  I would recommend packing a tooth brush with you and brushing your teeth everytime you have the urge.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh hell, I'm in this as well. I have a half can of Skoal that just went in the garbage. Been dipping for 15 years off and on (more on). Better get some gum.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wait till you get to the outdoor range. I tried quiting once but once the opportunity to spit anywhere i felt like it and shoot some guns i broke down. The best motivation to me would be like what some of the others have said. Use the saved money to buy firearms! Trade one bad habit to satisfy your healthy habbit .

That's what I'm worried about.  Looking back, I don't I've EVER gone plinking or shot an IDPA/bowling pin stage without a dip in.  And forget about gun cleaning without one.

Well, here goes.  MY first full day w/o my Cope crutch.  I did have some wierd dreams last night with the patch on just like the package insert said.  And for some reason, I have the Godspell song, "Day by Day", rattling around in my head (you old timers will remember that song).

When I woke up this morning my wife asked, "you going to be grouchy today?".  "Shut up, bitch! make me a sammich" <with a wink> was my reply.

ETA:  Good luck to all who have jumped on VTHOKIESHOOTER's bandwagon.  The more the merrier (or misery loves company) - whichever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a bunch of you guys on teh wagon now...Keep it up. I can preach to you again that after 10 years of not chewing cope I am really glad I quit...Especially at $5. And, you mentioned 1.5 cans a day.

Lets do a little math:
1.5 cans/day * 365 day/year = 547.5 cans a year
547.5 can/year * $5 can = $2737.50 a year

That's a lot of gun there. Keep it up guys and let us know how your doing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Stick to your guns. It took me 6 months to finally quit.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]
To VTHOKIE and all the other folks who have posted that they are quitting.  Good luck and keep the faith.  I recently quit smoking (2.5 packs per day.) I am working on my second month of being smoke free.  The dipping is proving harder to kick.  I am working on it though and ya'll are an inspiration.  thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I made it through the days.  Work was pretty stressfull today and I really wanted to pack one in but I didn't give in.   I might have to switch to sugarless gum though at the rate that I am chewing.

Good luck to all of the others who are trying to quit as well!  We can do it!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I made it through the days.  Work was pretty stressfull today and I really wanted to pack one in but I didn't give in.   I might have to switch to sugarless gum though at the rate that I am chewing.

Good luck to all of the others who are trying to quit as well!  We can do it!

another good day!!!!

I had to ease up on the gum, after the second week, my teethe got sensitive from all the sugar....

Remember- the cravings will pass!!!!!!!

I'm clean since 9.11.05
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
VTHOKIE,
don't know if this will work for chewing tobacco but my mom went to a hypnotist when she quit smoking- and she's been off it for 11 years.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Beginning of day 7

Iced in with the GF today, no temptation to chew.  

Hopefully I won't have the irritability today like I had yesterday.  I was just an ass yesterday........
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I am pleased to hear all is going well. You will look back and be glad with your decision....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Beginning of day 7

Iced in with the GF today, no temptation to chew.  

Hopefully I won't have the irritability today like I had yesterday.  I was just an ass yesterday........

Today is the day that your GF gets to prove her commitment to your quitting.    If all goes well, your irritable attitude should be replaced with a grin that they will have to chisel off your face.  

SBG
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Day 8:

I am still grumpy though I am not having any cravings.  The girlfriend is wondering why I am being short....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Starting Day 3.

The wife is working the next 3 days so the only thing to beat is the dog .

The ARFCOM support group - Dippers Anonymous.  Makes me feel that I'm not alone in this.

ETA:  Shit, it's only been 3 days?  Feels like a month.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Starting Day 3.

The wife is working the next 3 days so the only thing to beat is the dog .

The ARFCOM support group - Dippers Anonymous.  Makes me feel that I'm not alone in this.

ETA:  Shit, it's only been 3 days?  Feels like a month.

Hang in there.  Remember we are making sure this --------> Won't look like this---->
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#29]
It took my hubby several weeks to get over the crankiness.  It helped him to drink tea.  Hang in there.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It took my hubby several weeks to get over the crankiness.  It helped him to drink tea.  Hang in there.  

You do the same!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Nicotine has both stimulating and relaxing effects. You may indeed be clearer-headed after taking it. It has also been shown to be of some benefit in Alzheimers patients.

It also has a fair number of hazards, as you probably know. Extremely deadly stuff in a pure state.

You got that right. One of the tobacco barns on a farm near my parents house burned down while I was in HS or college.  The firemen pulled everyone back a half mile and just watched it burn, since the barn was full of dry tobacco, the air around it was filled with a lethal level of nicotine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie high.

Keep up the good work...your over the hump

Saw em off.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I just crossed the 96 Hour (4 day) mark.

I'm hittin' the home-made Chex Mix pretty hard though.  That's not a good thing when you are on a low carb diet.

I went into the Kwickie-Mart for the first time in 4 days.  They have the best deal in town on 12-packs of Diet Pepsi.  The girl that works there knows me and had a can on the counter waiting for me when I waked up.  THAT was the moment of truth........I told her to put that can back.  She replied, "Good for you!" (we've talked about me quitting in the past).  Whew, that was close!

I've got to make the 4 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow morning for work and I am dreading that.  That will be another milestone if I can make an 8 hour round trip.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I dont know about chewing being easier to quit,I have done both and at least for me smoking is way harderAnd someone in the thread posted how nicotine causes cancer,IIRC it aint nicotine,but the delivery device (tobacco) that causes the cancer.Nicotine is a poison at high enough doses,but I dont think it causes cancer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Day 11:  No craving and I think my irritability is gone.  I think I have done it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Day 11:  No craving and I think my irritability is gone.  I think I  have done it.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Day 11:  No craving and I think my irritability is gone.  I think I have done it.

The irritability gone? Na, that stuff is in us for life.... Good work, keep it up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Good job.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

w00t

Congratulations!!   okay, I'll stop now!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#40]
There are two types of dippers:  active and inactive.  I've been inactive since 1999.  I kept a half-open can of cope in my frridge for two years as a reminder.  

The smell of dip now makes me queesy.

Congratulations.  Welcome to the inactive list.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Been something like 18 days now (good sign when you have lost count) since my last dip.  I still have cravings and I really wanted one for the road coming home from Christmas but I have stayed strong.  How is it going with everyone else?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Well Hokie....NO ONE likes a Quitter    however in this case...you are da man ^5 and keep going... look at it like this...if you break down...do you really want all the insults and bashing this board is capable of sending your way
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Been something like 18 days now (good sign when you have lost count) since my last dip.  I still have cravings and I really wanted one for the road coming home from Christmas but I have stayed strong.  How is it going with everyone else?

Congratulations. I managed to stay away from snus for 3 days during Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm still keeping track of you. Keep it up.. 10+ years here!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Good Job VTHOKIESHOOTER!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Tell your gf/wife that you need lots of sex to keep your mind off of lighting up
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Hang tough! Shit is more addictive than heroin. My Dad swears this is true. He got addicted to morphine in the hospital. Kicked it in 3 days and never wanted it again. Smoked for 20 years and has been tobacco free for 30 years and still dreams about the damn things.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top