Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I was going to say that it was a Ralph McQuarrie Artwork,

First off, no way is it an original. The orginals were paintings done by McQuarrie while they shopped Star Wars around, and what got Fox to sign off on it. The orginals were not that large, parhaps 17" wide. Also, I am sure that ORIGINAL McQuarries are not in some ones garage, but in a gallery, or his private colletion somewhere.

You can note these paintings were BEFORE the film was made, so there are some early concepts that were later changed. I have the commercial prints that were made, you can find them too on ebay, like here:
cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-PORTFOLIO-by-RALPH-McQUARRIE-1977_W0QQitemZ6581915542QQcategoryZ37887QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You can also find some new lithograph prints out there.

So you have some large reporoduction of his work. If it is VINTAGE from the 70s I bet it was some Theatre Promo stuff. And yes, that would probably bring a penny on ebay. Not enough to retire on, but maybe 10K is my guess.

If it is something newer, I bet its worth a bit, but not the gold mine the vintage stuff would be. But I woudnt sell it if I were you.

Either way, perhaps contacting Steve Sansweet (he has written tons of SW collectable books and has the largest collection in the world, and I think now is  the archivist for Lucas Film).

Nice peice, all I have is McQuarries signature, and I feel special.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife's has an aunt works at Skywalker Ranch.  IM me if you don't have any luck on your own.

Could you have your wife's aunt slap George Lucas upside the head for me for ruining the original Star Wars trilogy with the re-release edits?  And then upside the other side of his head for the midi-chlorian thing?

I'd be willing to pay.

Did I hear group buy?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I was going to say that it was a Ralph McQuarrie Artwork,

First off, no way is it an original. The orginals were paintings done by McQuarrie while they shopped Star Wars around, and what got Fox to sign off on it. The orginals were not that large, parhaps 17" wide. Also, I am sure that ORIGINAL McQuarries are not in some ones garage, but in a gallery, or his private colletion somewhere.

You can note these paintings were BEFORE the film was made, so there are some early concepts that were later changed. I have the commercial prints that were made, you can find them too on ebay, like here:
cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-PORTFOLIO-by-RALPH-McQUARRIE-1977_W0QQitemZ6581915542QQcategoryZ37887QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You can also find some new lithograph prints out there.

So you have some large reporoduction of his work. If it is VINTAGE from the 70s I bet it was some Theatre Promo stuff. And yes, that would probably bring a penny on ebay. Not enough to retire on, but maybe 10K is my guess.

If it is something newer, I bet its worth a bit, but not the gold mine the vintage stuff would be. But I woudnt sell it if I were you.

Either way, perhaps contacting Steve Sansweet (he has written tons of SW collectable books and has the largest collection in the world, and I think now is  the archivist for Lucas Film).

Nice peice, all I have is McQuarries signature, and I feel special.

I'll measure it and take photos tomorow.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wait a sec - I am re reading your original post...

Are you saying yous is SMALL?  Send me your best photos to my email - [email protected]

I cant IMAGINE you having original McQuarries. Esp from Star Wars. I thought Lucas Film held on to all of them. It could be a screen print, that will look like layers of paint... at any rate, Im a HUGE SW fan, and an artist, so if you get me some good close ups and the sig, I can help you perhaps.

Im going home this weekend, I can find my McQuarrie copies - and I have a copy of his sig here too.

On the one in a milliong chance you do have them, I bet they would go for 10s of thousands of dollars at auction - maybe even more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait a sec - I am re reading your original post...

Are you saying yous is SMALL?  Send me your best photos to my email - [email protected]

I cant IMAGINE you having original McQuarries. Esp from Star Wars. I thought Lucas Film held on to all of them. It could be a screen print, that will look like layers of paint... at any rate, Im a HUGE SW fan, and an artist, so if you get me some good close ups and the sig, I can help you perhaps.

Im going home this weekend, I can find my McQuarrie copies - and I have a copy of his sig here too.

On the one in a milliong chance you do have them, I bet they would go for 10s of thousands of dollars at auction - maybe even more.

No, mine isn't tiny. I've said that. Repeatedly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for pics and outcome.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag Wars- Would love to see the pics...
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
hmmm. what would you rather have? a tricked out AR (fully auto) or a light saber?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
hmmm. what would you rather have? a tricked out AR (fully auto) or a light saber?

M-16. "He who lives by the sword gets shot by those who don't."
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
This is cool man....like findin a copy of the Constitiution for Star Wars kids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Pictures taken. Just need to wait for some money so I can buy batteries for my camera so I can upload them to the computer and post them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pictures taken. Just need to wait for some money so I can buy batteries for my camera so I can upload them to the computer and post them.

You've got to be kidding.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M-16. "He who lives by the sword gets shot by those who don't."

Maybe.  I'd opt for the fully functional real, "I'll take your arm off in a Los Isley space port bar" light sabre.  You could lure in your prey with the "neat-o" factor before you used it like a switchblade on their ass.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#16]

in ine of your posts you refer to your uncle as if hes still alive. if thats the case, why dont you ask him?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#17]
After you get the paintings authenticated, one possible buyer might be the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame in Seattle.  From what I've read they are buying up all kinds of vinatge artwork, props, and memoribilia.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#18]

[Butting in to tag for outcome.]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've got to be kidding.

Unfortunately, no. My batteries died over the weekend and being a poor college student I don't have the money to go out and buy a package of AA's.

Dude, come on. I worked all summer, saved my money, and went broke buying a WASR-10 and 200 rounds of ammo. How much cash do you think I have when I'm unemployed for 3/4's of the year?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it on the camera, or a memory card? You could take the card somewhere and pull it off.

Does your camera have a way to plug it into the wall?

Do you have a remote you can steal batteries from?

If all else fails, take a part time job, quit after a day, collect your check and buy some batteries ;o)  (or keep the job, in case somethign like this happens again!)
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
TAG
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Is it on the camera, or a memory card? You could take the card somewhere and pull it off. Camera.

Does your camera have a way to plug it into the wall? No.

Do you have a remote you can steal batteries from? Remote uses AAA. I got the original batteries out of my cd player.

If all else fails, take a part time job, quit after a day, collect your check and buy some batteries ;o)  (or keep the job, in case somethign like this happens again!) In a town this small? I'd never get a job anywhere else! I'll just wait till Monday when my parents stick $20 in my account for the month.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you sure it's a Mcquarrie? It might be a Goulami...

Did you ever get the measurements?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#27]
This sounds like BS to me.  First, he is rude in nearly every other post, second he doesn't have money for batteries?  Please.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This sounds like BS to me.  First, he is rude in nearly every other post, second he doesn't have money for batteries?  Please.

Posts I made in this thread: 20
Posts in this thread in which I was rude: 1
slash-5's track record so far: Not lookin' good.

As for your skepticism, it's to be expected. I'll post the pics Monday or Tuesday, depending on when I get money. I just took a handful, mostly of the entire painting, a size comparison (couldn't find a ruler or tape measure so I held a paperback book up for comparison), and focused on the signature.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
His rough sketches went for 2000 dollars 5 years ago.
You have a full auto M16 sitting in your garage.

Technically, you're correct. However, the garage was remodeled several years ago. The front half has a bay window where the garage door used to be and is my bedroom during the summer and my dad's computer room/gun room the rest of the year. The rear half is my cousin's bedroom.

And if I CAN get enough for a full-auto M-16 from this painting... I'm going for it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Im very skeptical about it being an orginal mcquarrie.

If its large reproduction, it will still be worth some money though, not that I would ever sell something like that.

And I dont think the poster is BSing. I had to steal PAINT for projects when I was in college (with a job) so it can be tough.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If its large reproduction, it will still be worth some money though, not that I would ever sell something like that.

And I dont think the poster is BSing. I had to steal PAINT for projects when I was in college (with a job) so it can be tough.

I'm in college now... I don't think he's BSing about the batteries.  

I just dropped $480 on a Bulgy AK74... I don't have money for batteries now either.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in college now... I don't think he's BSing about the batteries.  

I just dropped $480 on a Bulgy AK74... I don't have money for batteries now either.

- BG

You had $480? Wow. That's more than I ever had, and you didn't even buy ammo.

Heck, you JUST bought your AK? I bought mine in August before school even started and I'm still broke.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Updated with pictures! Yay! I stole some batteries from a friend down the hall.

Large pictures to show detail, so 56kers beware.

Can anyone read what the signature says?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#34]
A note: some of the colors are washed out or look different in the photo than they do in real life.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Update: I just tracked down Ralph Mcquarrie's e-mail address and sent him the whole story and a request to help me figure out what this painting is and whether or not it's worth anything. I figure if I gotta know, why not go straight to the source.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I finally post pics and nobody responds. You guys are weird.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll give ya $20 shipped...

Cool. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#39]
...just logging in.

Cool find.

I could very well be a real painting, but not the original. In art school we created maticulous copies of other's works (flaws and everything) as a form of training. Some guys copied Masters, while others found art that satified their passions.

I have some exact dupes of Delacroix's art in my portfolio, that I did (aged the paper & everything...only an expert can tell the difference).

If it's not real, and you still enjoy it...it's still a treasure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I found this earlier sketch:

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=47581

LB
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry,
Under careful study...It's clearly not the same art as the mural...

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#42]
They CAN'T be different...the TIE pilots are clones.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#44]
After seeing the size and the signature it is most likely not a McQ original...

LB
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
After seeing the size and the signature it is most likely not a McQ original...

LB

That's what I'm thinking too, but I'd like to see if he knows where it came from.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Hate to say it, I seen copies that were painted when I was in Korea, Osan AB and Kunsan AB,
There are some real good painters over there and with a signature that looks like " Kim" There
is alot of Koreans named Kim. Sorry. Its still a nice painting, But Hey if you find out from the
horses mouth other than that great, If not I'll bet you could get some decent cash for it
on Sleaze-Bay
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#48]
looks like a copy.  The markings after the "Kim" seems asiatic in nature, and the Signature is in a different spot than on the original.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry to burst your bubble, but thats not a McQuarrie.

1) Thats not his signature. He has a distictive signature. (I have his signature I will post up in a sec)

2) McQuarries work was done on matt board and I believe guache. (he did all the matt paintings for the movie)

3) As others pointed out, there are differences between this and the printed photos online.

Looks like its a nice replica by a fairly skilled artist. Worth a lot? Probably not, unless this artist has some sort of other noteworthiness. Most likely its a fan made painting, that may or may not have been for commercial purposes. ie, a guy who goes to conventions and sells his work.

:o/  Too bad it wasnt a gold mine, but its still a nice peice. You could probably get some coin off of ebay for it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#50]
tag... still want to know what you end up getting for it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top