Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
fuck the thread title. no gift. totally legit call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Salty got greedy. He should have just held on to the ball.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Salty got greedy. He should have just held on to the ball.
View Quote

Same with Breslow.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Middlebrooks isnt obstructing, as he isnt in the baseline between 3rd and 4th.  Looking at the tape, hes actually on the ground 3-5 feet inside the baseline, between 2nd and 3rd.

Craig is NOT in the baseline.
View Quote

Base PATH was obstructed. The runner HAD to step OFF the base path from third to home, in order to get around the Boston Bitch princess with his feet up.
It matters not where the foul line was in relation to the runner.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Middlebrooks isnt obstructing, as he isnt in the baseline between 3rd and 4th.  Looking at the tape, hes actually on the ground 3-5 feet inside the baseline, between 2nd and 3rd.

View Quote

Craig slides tries to get up, well within the base line, only to find a third baseman kicking hes feet up TWICE to "obstruct" his run to the plate. Watch the replay, he lays out kicks his feet up, see's that Craig is getting up from his slide and then kicks his feet up again and lifts up. Plain and simple you miss the ball, lay like like a bitch until he's done with you.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What happened to your interference argument?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, it is interference if a baserunner knocks down a third basemen fielding a ball.  It shouldn't have been called, because that would have been a chickenshit call and a chickenshit way for the Sox to have won.

The fact remains, Middlebrooks is between 2nd and 3rd, and not in the baseline between 3rd and home.  Obstruction was also a chickenshit judgement call, that when it results in a loss at the end of a great game, regardless of who you or I think should have won, its a bad chickenshit judgement call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Third basmen isnt blocking the bag, he's off to the side.  Gets taken out anyway, you know like a second basemen getting obstructed during a double play. It's interference, if hes NOT blocking the bag, he wasnt.

So apparently the runner can take out the third basemen at the ankle while hes off to the side of the bag, trip over the guy he just knocked down and win game three of a world series game.  Had he stood up, he would have been called for obstruction.

Chickenshit call in the World Series.

View Quote

This times infinity.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

And so players that round the bag after touching the base it are out of the baseline too?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Technically, it is interference if a baserunner knocks down a third basemen fielding a ball.  It shouldn't have been called, because that would have been a chickenshit call and a chickenshit way for the Sox to have won.

The fact remains, Middlebrooks is between 2nd and 3rd, and not in the baseline between 3rd and home.  Obstruction was also a chickenshit judgement call, that when it results in a loss at the end of a great game, regardless of who you or I think should have won, its a bad chickenshit judgement call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he wasn't fielding a ball, he was applying a tag. Ground ball hit towards you and runner hits you trying to field, runner interference. Sliding into a base, breaking up a double play, ramming the catcher at home totally legal, as the runner has every right to the bag that the fielder does. Just like if he was standing on the bag watching a fly ball and the runner runs him over, again legal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Mother fucker fucking fuck.

I hope every fucking boston hater gets bit in the ass by a recluse spider tonight.  The wound festers as they ignore the invetible, slow painful death in hospice care.  As the pulse rate slows, I will tear off the maggot infested bandages, only to smash the flesh with a baseball bad wrapped in rusty barbed wire.  I will smile as I pour brine water on the open wound, the cries and screams for mercy will be ignored.  I will not call my dogs off for obstruction as they deposit shit in the dying cardinals fan room, as adding shit to shit does not change the situation.  Clearly the mother fucker was NOT RUNNING ON THE FUCKING BASE LINE FUCK DUCK DJUOISDJKSNHFDKSNFKJDFJFBJFKJDF  *

* the  crazzzee shit is just hypothetical of course....  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I hope every fucking boston hater gets bit in the ass by a recluse spider tonight.  The wound festers as they ignore the invetible, slow painful death in hospice care.  As the pulse rate slows, I will tear off the maggot infested bandages, only to smash the flesh with a baseball bad wrapped in rusty barbed wire.  I will smile as I pour brine water on the open wound, the cries and screams for mercy will be ignored.  I will not call my dogs off for obstruction as they deposit shit in the dying cardinals fan room, as adding shit to shit does not change the situation.  Clearly the mother fucker was NOT RUNNING ON THE FUCKING BASE LINE FUCK DUCK DJUOISDJKSNHFDKSNFKJDFJFBJFKJDF  *

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Craig slides tries to get up, well within the base line, only to find a third baseman kicking hes feet up TWICE to "obstruct" his run to the plate. Watch the replay, he lays out kicks his feet up, see's that Craig is getting up from his slide and then kicks his feet up again and lifts up. Plain and simple you miss the ball, lay like like a bitch until he's done with you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

If he had not moved from where he had fallen, there would have been no obstruction.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No he wasn't fielding a ball, he was applying a tag. Ground ball hit towards you and runner hits you trying to field, runner interference. Sliding into a base, breaking up a double play, ramming the catcher at home totally legal, as the runner has every right to the bag that the fielder does. Just like if he was standing on the bag watching a fly ball and the runner runs him over, again legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P

You can't apply a tag unless you've first caught the ball, Middlebrooks is in the act of trying to catch the throw from Saltlamacchia, when he is slid into (off to the runners left of the bag).  Middlebrooks is knocked to the ground 3-5 feet INSIDE of the baseline between 2nd and 3rd.

It's a chickenshit judgement call, which is a terrible way to end a great game, regardless of whom you're rooting for, and a complete disservice to the World Series.

Its a shit call, the Umps should have let the men play ball, rather than deciding the game on an obscure judgement call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

And another delusional Tampax fan that does not understand the difference between a runners base path, and Base line.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Hahahaha. No.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

P

You can't apply a tag unless you've first caught the ball, Middlebrooks is in the act of trying to catch the throw from Saltlamacchia, when he is slid into (off to the runners left of the bag).  Middlebrooks is knocked to the ground 3-5 feet INSIDE of the baseline between 2nd and 3rd.

It's a chickenshit judgement call, which is a terrible way to end a great game, regardless of whom you're rooting for, and a complete disservice to the World Series.

Its a shit call, the Umps should have let the men play ball, rather than deciding the game on an obscure judgement call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P

I agree with you that it was a crappy ending. But that doesnt mean the rule book goes out the window in the bottom of the ninth. Fielding the ball is when its hit off the bat. Catcher throws a bad ball third baseman tries to tag while hogging the bag, runner slides into bag fielder gets caught up with the runner, happens all the time the difference is Middlebrook interfered with him running home you cant deny that. And just because hes on the inside of the foul line doesn't mean hes out of the base line.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
meh...bad calls usually even out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How was it a joke?  The catcher threw the ball away when throwing it to third, and the runner would have scored if not tripped by the third baseman.
View Quote
This. No gift at all, Salty made a bad throw and the Sox paid for it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The only people arguing it was a bad call are boston fans

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
No one wants to be outside right now, its fucking cold outside... my gauge say 37 right now... fuck doing anything athletic now

Also its baseball, not something important..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]
If you really want, you can go watch the press conference where the umps discuss this.

ETA: The umps specifically address Craig being inside the chalk line. They say that "and don't forget, the runner establishes his own base line"

Seriously, go listen to the press conference. They address all the butthurt from the Boston fans.

Yeah, it's a tough break. But you don't change the rules just because it was a weird play.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Middlebrooks is a bitch like every Boston douche.

It wasn't a gift. It's the rules being applied to an obvious cunt trying to obstruct.

Fuck Boston!!
View Quote

+1 fuck that loser.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Look at it again.

Craig's slide is what knocks the 3rd basmen to the ground, while trying to field the ball.  Thats called interference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He CLEARLY impeded the runner and it WAS intentional.  

When trying to get back up-you don't curl your legs.  You execute a push up and pull your legs up under you.  

Good call umps.  Proper call.  Good job.

Look at it again.

Craig's slide is what knocks the 3rd basmen to the ground, while trying to field the ball.  Thats called interference.

No, the baserunner has every right to that space. The fielder is not being impared if he is standing in the runner's path trying to field a ball. Fair game.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The only people arguing it was a bad call are non-boston fans
View Quote

don't know the rules.

As a hs/college level player/coach, the correct call was made. People saying "Middlebrooks was like 5 feet away from the baseline!" His feet extended to 3rd base (which is 15in long). The runner makes his own baseline, the foul line is not definitive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Good call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This times infinity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Third basmen isnt blocking the bag, he's off to the side.  Gets taken out anyway, you know like a second basemen getting obstructed during a double play. It's interference, if hes NOT blocking the bag, he wasnt.
So apparently the runner can take out the third basemen at the ankle while hes off to the side of the bag, trip over the guy he just knocked down and win game three of a world series game.  Had he stood up, he would have been called for obstruction.

This times infinity.

So, which other of the rules of baseball do you think should not apply in the World Series?  Perhaps if a fan reaches over the wall and interferes with a play it shouldn't be called because it would be "chickenshit."

The rules are the rules.  Saltalajdnfjisubaidjnjf made a terrible throw and cost his team that game.  Own it and quit blaming the loss on the umpires.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Boston tears taste like beans.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Look at it again.

Had the thrid basemen pushed up as you said, it definitely would have been obstruction.

Shit call, especially to end a world series game three.  Kinda chickenshit actually, but by all means, continue to revel in your cheap victory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When trying to get back up-you don't curl your legs.  You execute a push up and pull your legs up under you.  

Look at it again.

Had the thrid basemen pushed up as you said, it definitely would have been obstruction.

Shit call, especially to end a world series game three.  Kinda chickenshit actually, but by all means, continue to revel in your cheap victory.

Craigs slide is not what knocks the 3rd basemen to the ground. If you watch the slow mo replay, Craig did not even hit the 3rd basemens foot. He was diving to get the ball and that is what caused him to fall to the ground
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#30]
John W. Henry needs to make a couple of line up changes to his teams.

He needs to get Louis Suarez on a plane right fucking now to St. Louis, put him in the lineup tonight, and have him bite random Cardinals.

How in the hell do you interfere with the base runner when you are laying flat on your belly?  I think the third base umpire has been watching to much soccer.  Did they get these idiots from UEFA for God's sake?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#31]
St Louis did get a gift... Boston's defense and bullpen are the gift that keeps on giving.  However, the call was correct.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm a Boston fan.

The call was correct.  It was obstruction.

Those claiming that it was intentional are as delusional as those claiming that it was not obstruction as defined in the rules or those claiming that Craig wasn't even tagged out at the plate.

Bottom line:  If Saltalamacchia makes an even mildly decent throw to third (or doesn't even try to make that throw to third) the game continues.  He didn't.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#34]
That was not a gift. That was a major league mistake by Middlebrooks. Kudos to Craig for running it out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It wasn't a gift. It's the rules being applied
View Quote

This.  It was an exciting ending to a great game.  I almost felt sorry for Joe Buck and Tim McCarver who were clearly dismayed.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1367976837_you-mad.jpg

No, just drunker then fuck last night!    

APOLOGIES!  

At least I got to watch the game on the big plasma with the old man sitting in the room, kinda just like being back at Fenway when I was a kid, minus the nachos and crowd noise.  

I am kinda sober now and realize that Salty should have just held the ball.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#37]
No dog in this fight, however if the Boston catcher didn't sling the ball into left field on every throw to third base this would be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Look at it again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it again.

The only shit part of the play is the throw by the catcher.  Good throw gets the play at 3rd, not a shot down the line.  Dry your tears and bring it back tomorrow night.  Red Sox fans are starting to sound like cubs fans again.  Next thing you know it will be the curse of Saltalamachia's mullett that caused this!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

John W. Henry needs to make a couple of line up changes to his teams.

He needs to get Louis Suarez on a plane right fucking now to St. Louis, put him in the lineup tonight, and have him bite random Cardinals.

How in the hell do you interfere with the base runner when you are laying flat on your belly?  I think the third base umpire has been watching to much soccer.  Did they get these idiots from UEFA for God's sake?
View Quote

Did you even watch the play?  Not only was he not flat on his belly (he was pushing himself up), his legs were in the air.

There's a provision in the rule book that specifically deals with this play:

Rule No. 2: Obstruction:

"For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of

the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't need to be ON the line to be in the base line. He was clearly running from 3rd to home, not taking some a detour to interfere with a play, or avoid a tag.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Saw this on another forum:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXjl3POIEAA2olx.jpg

View Quote

That's awesome!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#42]
If Middlebrooks had come off the base to field the errant throw better it would also be a non issue. As it was, he completely misses the throw and falls into the runners path creating a very easy obstruction call for the umpires.

I hate to see any game ended by an umpires judgment call but this one was pretty clear.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#43]
So what happened to the puck ? I did not see that mentioned once .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

3rd baseman stretched out and fell trying to catch the badly thrown ball from the catcher. It was textbook obstruction, get over it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

That line isn't the baseline, it is the fair/foul line. The baseline is actually the base path, or 3 feet to either side of the base. He is certainly inside it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

P

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P

Is obstruction a rule or not?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s193.photobucket.com/user/ohiohunter55/media/Interferencecallat3rdbase_zps1f2f5acb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/ohiohunter55/Interferencecallat3rdbase_zps1f2f5acb.jpg</a>
View Quote

Where the fuck was Craig running to, the pitcher's mound?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If Bahstan lost it was because they did not hit, you cannot blame the umpires if you only scored 1 run
View Quote

What fucking game were you watching?
The final score was 5-4 and Boston scored 2 of those runs off Rosenthal, who was supposed to be unhittable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Ooooh, so many tears in the Sam Adams swill.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top