Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice pics!

Lots of threads about MT, ID, WY etc. lately. Most of the people I've run into made their money or most of it in some city in another state. They retire a few years early and move permanently to either what was their summer cabin/house or find a new place.
When they get too old and need to be closer to medical care etc. they move back into or near a larger population center. ymmv
View Quote

The saying is " you are paid in scenery." I know one guy who had to take a job out of state while his wife stays here and works because he lost his job. He is gone probably 8 months of the year. One of the main employers in this state is the government at the various levels.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He can live in Havre. they have nice mild winters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Railroad is hiring. Try UP and see what they got up that way. Wish I could move to a place like that.

UP isnt in montana, BNSF owns montana.

Edit: bnsf is hiring also

Mild is right.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
People complaining about winters are pussies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

first pic is St. Mary lake in Glacier I believe ? I stood there in awe
View Quote

No but I saw that too, very similar.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Plan to be in the Missoula area. Outside of town but not too far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
write us when you find work.

where will you be located, roughly?

I'm in Missoula, if you are in the area (again) get a hold of me and we will grab a beer or 3.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Last pic, were you in the Swan range?

View All Quotes

Nope that's in east Glacier. Six mile hike to iceberg lake, that's the lake just below it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm in Missoula, if you are in the area (again) get a hold of me and we will grab a beer or 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going out there in the Spring, likely staying in Missoula again. Will drop you a line when we leave.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Kalispell, Whitefish and up to Eureka are worth a look. Libby to the west is at the bottom of a lake that goes all the way to Canada.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I moved to NW Montana around six years ago, moved back to WA two years ago. It was beautiful and I had a lot of fun, but the opportunity to make money just wasn't there.  As others have said, most of those with money brought it with them from elsewhere.  The cost of land is astronomical in some areas and just outrageous in the rest.  If I could have made more money, I would still be there.  And don't forget the state motto: "Welcome to Montana, now get the fuck out".  I don't mean to discourage you, but make sure to look at all sides before making the move. MT is a beautiful place with a lot of great people. But, the scenery isn't everything.

Also, I'm pretty sure you and I have stood in the same spots taking pictures.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Kalispell, Whitefish and up to Eureka are worth a look. Libby to the west is at the bottom of a lake that goes all the way to Canada.
View Quote

I went through Libby, and Troy while fishing the Kootenai. Neat little towns but holy shit I'm bringing a boat next time.

What California calls a river, Montana calls a creek. The Sacramento is the only river in CA comparable to multiple rivers in MT.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I really,REALLY miss Montana..........
We lived in Rosebud County for 12 years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Railroad is hiring. Try UP and see what they got up that way. Wish I could move to a place like that.

If I were ever to move to Northern Montana, I would definitely choose Havre.  What I like most is how theres no wind and its always just so calm.  No matter what month, zero wind.  I just don't understand how they can never have wind, but theres literally NO WIND.  Late last Fall I passed through and my wife just couldn't believe how there were still leaves in the trees.  I had to explain to her, without wind, the leaves just don't fall off until it starts snowing (when it does snow, since Havre only gets a few inches a year).  Truly an amazing place.    

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I were ever to move to Northern Montana, I would definitely choose Havre.  What I like most is how theres no wind and its always just so calm.  No matter what month, zero wind.  I just don't understand how they can never have wind, but theres literally NO WIND.  Late last Fall I passed through and my wife just couldn't believe how there were still leaves in the trees.  I had to explain to her, without wind, the leaves just don't fall off until it starts snowing (when it does snow, since Havre only gets a few inches a year).  Truly an amazing place.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hi Line is too damn cold for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahh yes, Libby.  The deadliest superfund site in America.  A truly perfect place to call home!!  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/04/libby-montana-asbestos-superfund_n_857713.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People I know tell me you get used to the wind.  I for one just cant figure out how.  

All I know is when the wind clocks 75mph in the Midwest, they call it a tornado.  Whereas when the wind hits 75mph in Havre, they just call it Tuesday.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm living in NW MT right now.  Moved from MI, best move I ever made.  Leave the CA mentality at home and you can come sit on my porch and holler at the Elk.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Will you raise rabbits?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
First week in May is Maggotfest in Missoula.  I go every year but i get to return to somewhere better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep.  I grew up there. Locals wouldn't have a problem with people moving there if they didn't buy up property that cuts off their access to fishing, hunting, and camping sites. They also wouldn't mind if people didn't bring their attitude. Montana and living there is a state of mind. Most people bring a culture of how to best the guy next them. Montana doesn't work that way. If that is your game, you will find it in some of the larger cities, but keep it there. Best way to be accepted out of the urban areas (few and far between) is to be genuine, respectful, talk with your neighbors and for f-sakes, if you say you are going to do something, do it.  Play politics for an agenda (go back on your word) and you are finished. There is no room there for talk. People love it there, live to be there, and protect it from those whose agenda puts that way of life in jeopardy. Good people, man. The best you will meet. Including Wyoming. Stay clear of Native American burial sites in the boonies. Fiercely protected. Again, Montana life is simple. Respect.  I can smell the soil in your pics. Thanks for posting them!! I love Nevada, but Montana will always hold me tight.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
First week in May is Maggotfest in Missoula.  I go every year but i get to return to somewhere better.
View Quote

You a player?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yep.  I grew up there. Locals wouldn't have a problem with people moving there if they didn't buy up property that cuts off their access to fishing, hunting, and camping sites. They also wouldn't mind if people didn't bring their attitude. Montana and living there is a state of mind. Most people bring a culture of how to best the guy next them. Montana doesn't work that way. If that is your game, you will find it in some of the larger cities, but keep it there. Best way to be accepted out of the urban areas (few and far between) is to be genuine, respectful, talk with your neighbors and for f-sakes, if you say you are going to do something, do it.  Play politics for an agenda (go back on your word) and you are finished. There is no room there for talk. People love it there, live to be there, and protect it from those whose agenda puts that way of life in jeopardy. Good people, man. The best you will meet. Including Wyoming. Stay clear of Native American burial sites in the boonies. Fiercely protected. Again, Montana life is simple. Respect.  I can smell the soil in your pics. Thanks for posting them!! I love Nevada, but Montana will always hold me tight.

View Quote

Sounds right up my alley! Much more my kinda place than California has become.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks nice.  

You can always come visit Texas during the Winters.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Stay away from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Pit

View Quote

Damn... as if The Clark Fork didn't have enough problems already.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Good Lord, where is that last pic?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Post your experience in Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar.
View Quote
From Big Sky Montana...gladly.  

All kidding aside, don't move here.  We don't want or need you.  Sorry to be blunt.  We have enough outsiders here.  Especially from Cali.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Looks nice.  

You can always come visit Texas during the Winters.  
View Quote

Meh.. I went to San Antonio in August, didn't even die. If I can handle a Texas summer I sure as hell can deal with a Montana winter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Good Lord, where is that last pic?
View Quote

Iceberg lake, Glacier National Park.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just don't know where this comes from.  I personally think the winters in Montana are pretty mild.  If you want a cold winter, go to Fairbanks or Northern Alaska.  Its a little chilly up there.  As for Montana though, mild winters in my opinion.  

Of course you live in AZ, so you might be a little biased.  

OP:  Whatever you do, do not come to Montana without a job.  Unemployment is a reality in western Montana, so please have employment lined up, that is unless you're independently wealthy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, there is some wonderful landscape up there.But the fuckin' winters up there are brutal!
I'll stick with my AZ northern mountains and mild winters....

I just don't know where this comes from.  I personally think the winters in Montana are pretty mild.  If you want a cold winter, go to Fairbanks or Northern Alaska.  Its a little chilly up there.  As for Montana though, mild winters in my opinion.  

Of course you live in AZ, so you might be a little biased.  

OP:  Whatever you do, do not come to Montana without a job.  Unemployment is a reality in western Montana, so please have employment lined up, that is unless you're independently wealthy.  

Agreed,compare Montana winters to North Dakota and the Great Lake states. Montana can be a tropical paradise in comparison at times.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All kidding aside, don't move here.  We don't want or need you.  Sorry to be blunt.  We have enough outsiders here.  Especially from Cali.  

You're not the boss of me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#35]
i used to live in hamilton. as an unskilled worker I couldn't find crap for full time work. I trust you'd have better luck at it. I hope some day I could move back. hopefully before all the missoula hippies vote in enough leftists to completely ruin the state.

IIRC when i job hunted most of the work was for CNA's and book keeping
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Montana,  Wyoming,  and western south Dakota are beautiful. I really liked Idaho scenery too but the area I was in was full of snobs. Probably from out of state.   Jobs in montana and Wyoming are hard to come by. At least good paying ones. Otherwise I would be living in either Wyoming or
Montana.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Beautiful Country. I like to visit but too cold for the family to stay the winter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the first time I have seen him post similar comments. Just leave all your California Ideas behind and you will be fine,don't try to change things here,adapt to the way things are.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#40]
It sure is beautiful country.  Lived there 14 years in various places.  Born in Cali and had to escape.

We moved out of state as the money just isn't there especially in my narrow field.  I hope to buy a nice place there once again when I am older.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why, does it get cold?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good luck with those winters...

Why, does it get cold?

I remember a billboard we used to see while driving to my uncles house. "The coldest recorded temperature in North America -115 degrees"

Yes it gets fucking cold there. My cousin moved to Alaska and I asked him if Montana wasn't cold enough for him. He said Alaska was like living in the tropics compared to Montana…

I love Montana, born there and have tons of family there. BUT, I will not live through another Montana winter, thank you very much...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Not the first time I have seen him post similar comments. Just leave all your California Ideas behind and you will be fine,don't try to change things here,adapt to the way things are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have the mentality you guys are worried about. I've felt much more at home while visiting Texas and Montana than I do living in libtard central.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I remember a billboard we used to see while driving to my uncles house. "The coldest recorded temperature in North America -115 degrees"

Yes it gets fucking cold there. My cousin moved to Alaska and I asked him if Montana wasn't cold enough for him. He said Alaska was like living in the tropics compared to Montana…

I love Montana, born there and have tons of family there. BUT, I will not live through another Montana winter, thank you very much...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why, does it get cold?

But your username...

You may be right, but those double digit days on the west fork of the Bitterroot got me hooked (bad pun intended).
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Beautiful Country. I like to visit but too cold for the family to stay the winter.
View Quote

I think you get used to it somewhat. Plenty of families living there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why, does it get cold?

Weather between AK and MT can be very similar.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

send me some fresh Fresh Bongwater Hemp Ale from Kettlehouse please!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#47]
One of our Rugby buddies, Bjorn ,owns big sky brewery as well. Love that place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

One of our Rugby buddies, Bjorn ,owns big sky brewery as well. Love that place.
View Quote

Isn't that in Helena? I seem to remember driving by it.

And high five him for the beer. I drank my share, it's damn good stuff!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Hmmm. Might have to take a trip in the summer or something.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top