Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a rabid anti-Toyota guy, but the reason they drove the Toyota trucks is because it helped them blend in and wasn't as obvious as a HUMVEE was.  If the Afghans were driving Ford Rangers or Chevy Silverado, or Nissian trucks around, I'm sure that's what the SF would have chosen to drive too.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying a Toyota truck, but I'm not going to go out and buy one just because SF drove it around.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not a rabid anti-Toyota guy, but the reason they drove the Toyota trucks is because it helped them blend in and wasn't as obvious as a HUMVEE was.  If the Afghans were driving Ford Rangers or Chevy Silverado, or Nissian trucks around, I'm sure that's what the SF would have chosen to drive too.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying a Toyota truck, but I'm not going to go out and buy one just because SF drove it around.

But, of course, locals wouldn't be driving any other truck because of the conditions and the need for reliability.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still no peeps from the rabid anti Toyota crowd.

I don't know but mine is made here in the US and the so-called big three American automakers aren't exactly loyal.  They're just shrewd multinational corporations I think.

I completely agree. I was poking the nest so to speak. I should just let it go.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw / seen ?? this guy in Maxim...just thought I'd share.

Edited: well I was going to link the picture but it's not working...it was posted by IAMLegend (the guy standing by self with large beard)
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Just be carefull if you buy a new one from the California plant.

My '05 Taco was shipped without a radiator fan and a few other small components of the cooling system.  Serves me right for buying at night and not having a proper light to check the engine, but I still can't figure out how it made it off the line and passed inspection prior to shipping.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just be carefull if you buy a new one from the California plant.

My '05 Taco was shipped without a radiator fan and a few other small components of the cooling system.  Serves me right for buying at night and not having a proper light to check the engine, but I still can't figure out how it made it off the line and passed inspection prior to shipping.

YIKES!!

Mine is a '96 and everything seems to be there.  Damn, there are some things where the burden shouldn't be on you to check.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, talk about a ringing endorsement on toughness!

They are tough little trucks!  

And their resale value kicks ass too. Less depreciation over time than resale on a Honda Civic.  

How much do 7.62mm holes affect resale? Hell, I'd pay more for one that came back from a'stan. The holes would just add character

I prefer to add my own holes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
^^ oops ^^

was that 7.62?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
^^ oops ^^

was that 7.62?

It was a .22 ....thanks goodness.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
^^ oops ^^

was that 7.62?

It was a .22 ....thanks goodness.

It flattened out pretty well.  I originally thought it was a .45 from really far away.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
oops
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I prefer to add my own holes.

That isnt even a hole
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, of course, locals wouldn't be driving any other truck because of the conditions and the need for reliability.

True dat.

I bought mine because I wanted a truck to keep for the next 10 years, get me where I want to go on-road or off, and not turn into a rattling pile of shit like the other domestic trucks I've owned...before I even knew that SF was using 'em.

Plus, my dad has a '88 4Runner with 260k on the clock, with nary a hitch.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True dat.

I bought mine because I wanted a truck to keep for the next 10 years, get me where I want to go on-road or off, and not turn into a rattling pile of shit like the other domestic trucks I've owned...before I even knew that SF was using 'em.

Plus, my dad has a '88 4Runner with 260k on the clock, with nary a hitch.

Fuckin' A on both counts (ten years and before SF endorsement).
Mine is a '96 so I'm just about there.  It is my daily driver and it tackles the serious gnarl in Moab.  Like Golden Spike, Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks and all kinds of 4+ shit.
People ask what I'd replace it with.  I say another Toyota, probably a Tacoma.  I just can't imagine when that time will come.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Fuckin' A on both counts (ten years and before SF endorsement).
Mine is a '96 so I'm just about there.  It is my daily driver and it tackles the serious gnarl in Moab.  Like Golden Spike, Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks and all kinds of 4+ shit.
People ask what I'd replace it with.  I say another Toyota, probably a Tacoma.  I just can't imagine when that time will come.

It's a Yota thing.  I've been driving a Tacoma since '97.   I bought a '97 stripped regular cab 4x4 and TRIED to drive the doors off of the thing.  About a year ago I started to freak out when Toyota announced the redesign of the Tacoma.  My Tacoma had 170k miles on it,  and while it was far from worn out.. I was worried I'd only be able to buy a soccer-mom-ified toy truck in another 5-7 years.  

So I went out and bought a BRAND NEW - ten year old design - '04 Tacoma Trd extended cab 4X4.   Probably one of the last old-style Tacomas to roll off the assembly line.   The thing that surprised me the most was that it didn't really FEEL like a new truck.  My old 170k mile truck was still so smooth and tight that it was just like driving my old truck!  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Also, the new Taco is kickass.

ONLY thing I don't like about the new ones (and it's pretty trivial) is the Goddamned squared off wheel wells.  Go back to the "old style" wheel wells, and it's rockin'.

Rich
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
those are national guardsman on the bottom?

The Utah National Guard (I believe they are the 5th SF Group) and Virginia National Guard both have a Special Forces unit.

Actually the 19th (Utah) and 20th (Alabama) are the only National Guard SF Groups.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, the new Taco is kickass.

ONLY thing I don't like about the new ones (and it's pretty trivial) is the Goddamned squared off wheel wells.  Go back to the "old style" wheel wells, and it's rockin'.

Rich

I think its also too large and too low to the ground.

And whats with the 6-speed tranny and 3.73 gears?   Is it a car or a truck?  Put the 5 speed and 4.10's back in it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Utah National Guard (I believe they are the 5th SF Group) and Virginia National Guard both have a Special Forces unit.

Actually the 19th (Utah) and 20th (Alabama) are the only National Guard SF Groups.

That's right, the Utah guys were the 19th, I had misrecalled it.  Thanks for setting that straight.  

Are you sure?  I thought it was Virginia that had the other one, but I could be wrong.

ETA: I was wrong, you were right.  It was the Alabama Guard.  

I knew there was two and Utah had one.  Good factchecking on your part!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
word! going out to my taco co-homies...

ps
you SF-types should know what "GROM" is... here's the HiLux-en they drive...

pps
the real reason the SOC psy-ops and other SF guys are driving tacomas in 'stan is because the tacos have a much better A/C and heating system than the HUMVEE.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apparently, they are the absolute shiite when it comes to reliable offroad transportation in the boonies.  It also helps that you can get Toyota parts for the 22R motor from nearly anywhere in the world.

Is the 22R still used in anything?

Nope the last year for any version of the 22r or 22re was 1995 before the Tacoma came out. They now have the 3RZFE 2.7 or the 5VZFE 3.4 V6. I think there is a even newer 6 cyl but I am not sure of the desig. I worked at a Toyota dealer for 11 years and I am pretty familiar with the product. Anywhere there is a tough climate you will find a toyota truck in one form or another. My 98 tacoma would look cool with that MG mounted on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I'll bet the AC and heat come in real handy with the front windows rolled down and the back doors gone completely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's right, the Utah guys were the 19th, I had misrecalled it.  Thanks for setting that straight.  

Are you sure?  I thought it was Virginia that had the other one, but I could be wrong.

The 19th and the 20th have units in more places than UT and AL.  KYARNG has at least one SF unit and the INDARNG has at least one as well (that might just be a HSLD 11B unit though . . .).
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I already loved my Toyota Double Cab 4x4 and my Tacoma pick-ups

now I REALLY LOVE THEM!!!!

Great pics
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Slightly off-topic: WTF is wrong with Toyota's website? In Firefox, I can't een get the build-it yourself parts to show up, and in IE they look like crap, all piled on top of one another.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
They build them dang things right up the road in Princeton IN. Never paid much attention to them for off roading.....I drive a jeep.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought my 1990 Toyota pickup new, it's 15 years old with 210000 miles. It has NEVER let me down, always started, no major problems. I only replaced the clutch at about 100000 miles.  It has rusted in some places, but nothing too extreme.
I was recently in the market for a new pickup and was pretty close to getting a F150. Then I thought WTF, I'm I nuts? My last Toyota has lasted 15years and is still going strong. If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

So I just picked up a 2005 Toyota Tundra Access cab V8 and I had a Line-X bed liner sprayed in. This one I'll have for twenty years!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They build them dang things right up the road in Princeton IN.

nope.
tacomas are manufactured in freemont, california (NUMMI plant).

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'll bet the AC and heat come in real handy with the front windows rolled down and the back doors gone completely.

the pics you reference (back doors gone) are GROM trucks.  google "Polish Special Forces".

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#30]
the new hilux

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My good buddy was in 20th.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
the new hilux

hilux.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/5881.jpg
hilux.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/5751.jpg

The Hilux is awesome because it can come (or at least used to be able to) with a solid front axle instead of IFS.  WOOOOO!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
They build them dang things right up the road in Princeton IN. Never paid much attention to them for off roading.....I drive a jeep.

I 4-wheel with Jeepers and 'Yota guys.  We joke about the Jeep/'Yota rivalry but in all seriousness, those are the only two brands you see much of on the serious trails in Moab.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They build them dang things right up the road in Princeton IN.

nope.
tacomas are manufactured in freemont, california (NUMMI plant).

ar-jedi

Tundras built in Indiana (and Texas, I think).
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#35]
not a hater of toyota. but it's sad that we buy so much forign made goods, THE LAP TOP THAT I"M on,
the  chp uses bmw motor cycles,are army uses berratas,toyotas,benneli shotguns  
it's a sad state of affairs that we're in guys.

We've earned our deflated $
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
not a hater of toyota. but it's sad that we buy so much forign made goods

as noted above, tacomas are built in the USA with UAW labor.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
word! going out to my taco co-homies...

pps
the real reason the SOC psy-ops and other SF guys are driving tacomas in 'stan is because the tacos have a much better A/C and heating system than the HUMVEE.  

ar-jedi

Negative.

I know folks there and that have just returned ( and No, not in the Military) and this is not the reason.  

The reason is reliability and appearance.  They only use the vehicles so many times ('x' amount of missions) and then sell them and buy other ones.  Not necessarily new ones but newer.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

So Toyota is an American owned company?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

So Toyota is an American owned company?

No, but they're more loyal than the "big 3".
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well shit.
What truck manufactor doesn't use UAW?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well shit.

One that builds them outside the US and ships them here.  Don't Ford and GM do that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Gimme a Wrangler.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

West Virginia and Oregon both have SF NG units.

There was a special on ABC about the Oregon SFNG unit that was in Afghanistan back in '03 about what they were doing.

And I know a guy or two in the WVSFNG.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well shit.

One that builds them outside the US and ships them here.  Don't Ford and GM do that?

My Ranger was built in Michigan, and the profits stay in America.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys better run and check your Tacomas

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp., in one of its largest safety recalls ever, said Tuesday it is recalling more than 750,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of problems with the front suspension that could hinder steering.

The company said the recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well shit.

I know many of the North American vehicles are still built here but haven’t you heard that many are now built in Mexico?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well shit.

Say it with me now...MULTI NATIONAL CORPORATIONS.

By the way, my '99 Ranger was a joke. I'll never buy another Ford.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well shit.

I know many of the North American vehicles are still built here but haven’t you heard that many are now built in Mexico?

And Canada.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#49]
So are all those guys anti-American for driving Toyota's?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So are all those guys anti-American for driving Toyota's?

Yes, the pinko-commie traitors.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top