Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could have wired it to your breaker panel or you could have also rigged up an extension cord with 2 male ends, run it from your generator to a wall outlet. Everything on that circuit will be hot.
View Quote

And illegal as hell... Good way to kill a lineman.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was worried our power would go down - I have a generator, and it works as well now as it did when I pulled it out of my ex's garage almost two years ago.  That is to say, it doesn't work.  Kept meaning to get it fixed and kept putting it off.  Would've served me right had we lost power.

Hondaciv, how did you get your furnace running off the genny?  Just hard wire the extension cord into the power switch for the blower? I did that a few years ago in IL - a gas furnace really only needs the blower running to work, so I cut the female end off an extension cord and wired it right up to the on/off switch.
View Quote

I southern rigged it this time, but will either have a transfer switch in place, or will put an outlet in the attic to plug/unplug the furnace.

But what I did was cut the romex, strip the wires, cram it into the female end of a computer power cord, then plugged it into an extension cord.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP, how loud was that HF generator?
View Quote

It was kinda loud.

I had it clear out in the middle of my backyard, and I could still hear it over my TV.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 6,300 watt (9,100 start up) generator to power the house if we lose outside juice. The tank stays full and I have three additional cans put aside. Last time I had to use it in anger (lol) was after Hurricane Irene in 2011 when we were out of power for a week. We ran the generator for three hours in the morning and three in the late afternoon/evening. Those four tankfuls made it an entire week IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I live in Dallas, and my power went out around 5 am Friday morning and came back on around 8 PM Sunday night. I had finally bought a generator earlier in the year anticipating an event like this. Our power goes out often, but rarely for days at a time. My generator was one I bought at Harbor Freight for $279.00 It is the 3200w 4000w peak generator. Link So heres some random thoughts and stuff I learned.

1) 3200 watts is about enough to stay comfortable, but not enough for everything. The dishes piled up (Yeah i know i could have washed them by hand) and so did the laundry. It wouldn't come close to running the central AC in the summer. I ran central heat (gas), fridge, 60" plasma tv, receiver, a few lamps, ipad, laptop, and iphone chargers. Even with all that, had enough left over to run an extension cord to the neighbors so they could plug in a small space heater. I had kill-a-watts on every extension end so I knew exactly how much power I was using, and how much I had in reserve.

2) 3 gas cans isn't enough. I was about 50 - 90% capacity on my generator, and burned a total of 25 gallons of gas in those 60 hours. Which means I had to leave the house once to get more gas. And those stupid post-ban gas filler/spouts are infuriating. I will fix both these issues.

3) Keeping the generator fed with gas was kind of like feeding a baby. Setting my alarm every 8 hours to go outside in the frigid cold to refill it made me lose sleep.

4) A transfer panel would be really really nice to have instead of stringing 500 extension cables and power strips everywhere

5) A natural gas conversion is also something I will heavily consider.
View Quote

do it once, do it right...

14kw, auto transfer switch, you're only down for ~10 seconds
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't believe you ran all of that off a 3200 watt HF generator, impressive. What did the kill-a-watt say the central heat used? I assume this was hardwired somehow to run the air handler fan and the exhaust fan for the unit as well as power for the control board?? We got lucky in Houston with that storm but I was in Richmond, Virginia, also lucky there with minimal ice and on time flight departures.

I have a 2900 watt Honda powered Ingersoll Rand generator, it is just for a small a/c window unit and the fridge, but glad to know it might run more. It's never had gas in it but the other day I pulled the spark plug and put oil in the cylinder as well as in the crankcase and hand cycled it several times to lubricate and prevent any rust. I also want a natural gas conversion for it.
View Quote

About 1000-1100w for a 5 ton handler
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In red: That much.  

You can run your house off that, as long as you're not a retard about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a similar experience a few years back.  

Subsequent to that incident, I purchased a NG 20kw Generac.  Comes with the auto transfer stuff.  I couldn't begin to install myself, thank god I had a buddy that was fluent in that language

It is a great investment.  Set it and forget it type of installation.  I would highly recommend one to anyone in The market.
How much of an electrical load can a generator of that size handle?  
In red: That much.  

You can run your house off that, as long as you're not a retard about it.

I run my house off of less than half that with zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as cooking goes during a power outage, that's what we have a charcoal grill and a camping stove (little propane canisters) for.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't need to waste fuel on hot water, cooking, tv, or appliances. Run the generator to keet the house warm (if below 40 degrees F), keep well water flowing (I you have a well), and keeping food cold (if it's not cold outside). That's really all you need. Don't need much light either. Running AC in general is stupid, running AC off a generator is just plain retarded.

I prefer to save gas for vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I probably could have.  I'm kind of new to running on generator power, and I honestly hadn't even thought of an on/off method.  I learned that in this thread.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought that same generator recently.  Glad to hear you had a good experience with it.

So Question:  Why did you run it 24/7?  In my plans I'm thinking I'd shut it off when sleeping or not needing to cool the fridge, etc...  yeah, the house might get a bit cool.

I ran it 24/7 to keep the house warm and the fridge cold.  

Couldn't you shut the genny off for 2 hours at a time to save fuel ? Seems a real waste to leave it run 24hrs.

I probably could have.  I'm kind of new to running on generator power, and I honestly hadn't even thought of an on/off method.  I learned that in this thread.  

Arduino and badger AR-Jedi to help you learn how to make a remote start for your genset with it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Would a Honda consume less fuel?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#12]
VP racing fuel cans are tits if you want to avoid the stupid CARB nozzles.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You don't need to waste fuel on hot water, cooking, tv, or appliances. Run the generator to keet the house warm (if below 40 degrees F), keep well water flowing (I you have a well), and keeping food cold (if it's not cold outside). That's really all you need. Don't need much light either. Running AC in general is stupid, running AC off a generator is just plain retarded.

View Quote

Not sure about the Somali coast - but I'm sure it's nice. On the gulf coast, AC, while not on the apex on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, sure keeps the wife quiet.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This year I finally bought a generator, stored extra fuel, installed a 12v backup power system for emergency LED lights, purchased a 40 gallon propane tank w heater, stored extra propane for a 'buddy heater', stacked firewood close to the back door...

Still haven't lost power.

TRG
View Quote

Let me borrow your chainsaw, some logging chains, and the Super Major for about an hour...  I figure it will be 4-7 days before they can restore power at your place.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Relying on Natural Gas to keep flowing in the event of a major power outage seems like a bad idea to me...

'''''''
View Quote

Nat gas pumps run on nat gas.  They do not rely on electricity for anything.  That grid is pretty stable.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I passed on a pto generator that runs off a tractor... I will buy the next one I see
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's kind of my thought.  In a power outage situation, people will know you have a genny if they see lights/tvs on at night.  But to have that motor running all day and all night will draw attention too.  If you take already cranky powerless neighbors and then annoy them will a loud ass generator all night, that could be a negative thing as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, how loud was that HF generator?

That's a good point.  I'd imagine in a real SHTF, long term situation, the sound of any motor running would bring the FSA hordes.

That's kind of my thought.  In a power outage situation, people will know you have a genny if they see lights/tvs on at night.  But to have that motor running all day and all night will draw attention too.  If you take already cranky powerless neighbors and then annoy them will a loud ass generator all night, that could be a negative thing as well.

Letting your neighbors get a couple hours of generator time everyday, and asking them to pony up some cash for gas and oil will go a long way towards them not being upset with the noise.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could have wired it to your breaker panel or you could have also rigged up an extension cord with 2 male ends, run it from your generator to a wall outlet. Everything on that circuit will be hot.

To the part in red, no its not, it doesn't work that way. You have to shut off the switch to the outside line in order to power your house this way. No power goes to the outside line from the house's breaker box when powering stuff this way, and if you even tried to power the breaker box without switching off that main outside line, your generator would instantly flip it's breaker from the massive load of the main line.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let me borrow your chainsaw, some logging chains, and the Super Major for about an hour...  I figure it will be 4-7 days before they can restore power at your place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This year I finally bought a generator, stored extra fuel, installed a 12v backup power system for emergency LED lights, purchased a 40 gallon propane tank w heater, stored extra propane for a 'buddy heater', stacked firewood close to the back door...

TRG

Now THAT beats Cool Hand Luke choppin' down parking meters by a fair piece.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's like putting a winch on your 4x4 guarantees a 3 year drought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

It's like putting a winch on your 4x4 guarantees a 3 year drought.

It's some sort of damn curse.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nat gas pumps run on nat gas.  They do not rely on electricity for anything.  That grid is pretty stable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Relying on Natural Gas to keep flowing in the event of a major power outage seems like a bad idea to me...

'''''''

You could also just get a tank setup at your house to power a NG fueled gen, that's the way people around here that have NG powered gensets do it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OLH area here, we never lost power in our little pocket but everybody around us did....little forest hills, Lakewood, casa Linda etc. many went 3-4 days without, some are still even now.
View Quote

We lived in that area 5 years ago and I remember the thunderstorm we had. 4 days without power. My wife was pregnant, no generator at the time, we packed up and left.

It was crazy. We're close enough to see downtown Dallas in a well to do neighborhood, but we might as well have been living in bumfuck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

He's a Marine.

If I turn him loose with a penknife, a toothbrush and a rainfly, in three days I would be without power, the roof would be leaking and my wife would be pregnant.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I got the same generator the OP has.  For what it is and what I wanted it to do I am satisfied with it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#25]
The battery from my kids power wheel is charged up sitting on my fireplace mantle. That's a 9.5ah 12 volt battery! Just clip on an adapter and charge your phone, run your laptop, etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an 8000 watt generator and 40 gallons of fuel, 20 gallons of race gas plus another 5 gallons of premix.
What I learned is that the 8K generator is big and loud and sucks the fuel.

One of these days I am going to buy a Honda or Yamaha 2K generator.

The big one runs the water heater, baseboard heaters, fridge and every light in the house.

The small one will run the TV, satellite receiver, computer / internet and a small space heater.
It's a lot quieter and uses a lot less gas.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a had a couple of one to two week power outages in my area. Going through that is a hell of a lot easier with a generator than without one. Being able to do small things like microwave something or run a coffee pot or watch a DVD on the television does a lot for people's stress levels.

Check out the $100 harbor freight generator thread in the survival section. Even if you have a larger generator "2 is 1, 1is none", so it is good to have a backup. Also you could use it for when you only need small amounts of power since it's fuel consumption is much smaller.

Keep a bunch of empty gas cans on hand. Keep a couple (or whatever amount you feel comfortable) filled being very aware of the fire danger. Usually there is some advance warning that a storm is coming and you will likely lose power. When that happens fill up the extra cans and you can have a decent amount of fuel without the risks of keeping 50 or whatever gallons of gas on your property. Try to refill cans as soon as they are empty. After hurricane Sandy fuel was available as normal for a couple of days afterward. But when people realized there were a limited number of stations open and supply wasn't going to meet demand it suddenly got crazy in the space of about a day.

Make sure you have the extra stuff to run a generator. Extra oil. Spark plugs. Maybe some fuel additives like Sea Foam that is supposed to help with a clogged up carb etc. If you don't have a transfer panel and will be using extension cords make sure you have plenty those. If you have a transfer panel make sure you know where the cord that connects it to your generator is.

Don't forget the odds and ends like flashlights and batteries and radios. When the internet and cable are unavailable FM radio is one of your only sources of news so make sure you have a couple of radios that run on batteries.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#28]
10 kW Generac NG with LP conversion.  Transfer switch with all basement and first floor circuits backed up in addition to HVAC and washer/dryer on 2nd floor.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not sure about the Somali coast - but I'm sure it's nice. On the gulf coast, AC, while not on the apex on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, sure keeps the wife quiet.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

Not in Somaliland yet. Not flying out until Jan.

I appreciate your sentiment... But AC is highly overrated IMHO. I don't think about AC until it's mid 90s.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got the same generator the OP has.  For what it is and what I wanted it to do I am satisfied with it.

View Quote

It's no Honda or Generac, but it's the best $279.00 I ever spent

Plus, it was kinda cool to finally be in a situation where I wasn't thinking "if I only had bought a damn generator"
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To the part in red, no its not, it doesn't work that way. You have to shut off the switch to the outside line in order to power your house this way. No power goes to the outside line from the house's breaker box when powering stuff this way, and if you even tried to power the breaker box without switching off that main outside line, your generator would instantly flip it's breaker from the massive load of the main line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are absolutely sure about that, huh?

ok:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/670186_Wiring_furnace_for_temporary_generator_connection.html&page=3#i11459178

Facts

In July 2005, Pike sent a crew to Flomaton, Alabama, after the Gulf Coast area had been damaged by a hurricane. Alabama Power Company contracted Pike to assist with repairing downed power lines and broken poles. Pike’s crew comprised six workers supervised by foreman and lineman Richard Green. The crew traveled to Flomaton on July 11 and spent the night. At 7:00 a.m. on July 12, Green and Pike linemen Ronnie Adams and Robert Mitchell met with employees from Alabama Power Company to discuss the repair work (Tr. 23-25). Green and Adams were Class A lineman. Mitchell was a Class C lineman (at the time of the hearing, he was a Class B lineman) (Tr. 56-58).

An Alabama Power Company representative warned Pike’s employees to be on the lookout for portable generators. Homeowners often use portable generators as a temporary energy source when storms knock out power lines. If the homeowner hooks up the generator directly to the house’s circuit (rather than using it to power a single appliance), energy from the generator could “backfeed” from the house and re-energize the power lines (Tr. 26-27).

After meeting with Alabama Power Company, Green held a meeting with the six Pike employees. He explained the work to be done and divided the men into two crews: Mitchell worked with Ryan Chamberlain and Curtis Montgomery, and Adams worked with groundman Matthew Snow and equipment operator Todd Casey (Tr. 39, 66). Green assigned Adams’s crew to replace a damaged pole and to re-hang the four lines on a three-phase tap line on Jackson Street (Tr. 37-39). Green worked with Adams’s crew until they started setting the new pole, around noon. Then Green left to work with Mitchell’s crew (Tr. 72-73).

Pike was treating the power lines as de-energized because Alabama Power Company had opened the switches inside the substation (which prevented the circuit from being completed and energizing the lines). At the pole directly outside the substation designated as Y5307 on Wilkerson Street, Pike opened the set of switches on the pole, flagged, tagged, and grounded them. Pike also removed the jumpers to the phases from the switches at pole Y5307 (Exh. C-5). Green testified Pike did this despite the open switches in the substation just a few feet away “as an extra layer of protection” (Tr. 32). Also, Pike opened the set of switches and flagged, tagged, and grounded them at a pole designated as Y7929 on Ringold Street (Tr. 30-32). When operating normally, the three-phase line is energized at 7,220 volts, phase to ground (Exh. J-1; Tr. 27).

The two poles (Y5307 and Y7929) were on the same power distribution line. Between these two poles, a tap power line ran down Jackson Street and terminated at a dead-end pole. The transformer located on the dead-end pole was not opened, tagged, flagged and grounded.

After Green left, Adams went up in an insulated lift to repair the damaged lines. Three of the lines (the neutral, the road phase, and the field phase) were broken. The fourth line (the central line) was sagging but intact (Tr. 61). Although Adams could have repaired the sagging central line without splicing it, he chose to cut the line. The line on which Adam was working was connected by a secondary line to a house at the end of Jackson Street (referred to at the hearing as “a doctor’s house”). The homeowner had connected a portable generator to the house’s circuitry which caused electrical energy to backfeed to the line Adams was splicing, energizing it. Adams was electrocuted when he cut the line (Tr. 40, 95, 222, 269). The company has no written work rule requiring employees working on de-energized lines to wear protective rubber gloves (Tr. 40, 44). Adams was wearing leather work gloves, but not rubber gloves that day.

Compliance officer Dale Schneider arrived at the site the day after Adams’s death, on July 13, 2005. Following Schneider’s investigation of the circumstances surrounding the fatality, the Secretary issued the citations that gave rise to this proceeding on January 6, 2006.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I passed on a pto generator that runs off a tractor... I will buy the next one I see
View Quote

see my relatively small PTO setup here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661411_Sandy____12_days_without_power__what_worked__what_didn_t____.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

A Honda would consume far less fuel.  It would make less noise.  It would provide cleaner power.  It will usually have a longer lifespan.  If something fails, there is a robust dealer network to work on it. Parts are available.

It just costs what, ten times as much?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am going to install a welding 240v 50amp outlet into the garage.  I will backfeed my electrical through that without the cost of the transfer switch.  If you do this BE SURE TO DISCONNECT YOUR MAIN BREAKER!!!!
View Quote

it's a heck of a lot easier and safer to use a sliding interlock.  
they install in 20 minutes, and completely mitigate the dangers inherent when using a double-male ended cord.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A Honda would consume far less fuel.  It would make less noise.  It would provide cleaner power.  It will usually have a longer lifespan.  If something fails, there is a robust dealer network to work on it. Parts are available.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

two different answers here -- as honda makes both types of generators.

small gasoline engine-powered generators come in two basic flavors:

first, the traditional direct-coupled engine + alternator head type; and
second, the more recently introduced "inverter" type.

most everyone is aware of how the traditional direct-coupled engine + alternator head type works. the engine produces mechanical power from gasoline (or diesel, or NG, or ...) and that power is carried via a shaft to the alternator head. the alternator converts the mechanical power to electrical power by means of a stator and armature assembly. note: in this case, since the output is actually AC, it would be more appropriate to call it an alternator, and not a generator. but common usage is such that generator head and alternator head are used interchangeably.

there are a few catches to the traditional direct-coupled engine + alternator head design: the primary issue is that the engine *must* run at 3600 RPM all of the time -- this is needed to keep the AC frequency at roughly 60Hz, the same as the power supplied by the electric company. note that there are also 4 pole alternator heads that can be driven at 1800 RPM to produce 60Hz power, but typical small gasoline engines do not produce a lot of power at 1800 RPM. hence almost all small gasoline-driven generators turn a 2 pole alternator at 3600 RPM. it is not uncommon that a direct-coupled generator offers a split-phase 120Vac/240Vac output.

the inverter type generator takes a different approach. the mechanical power of the engine turns a small, low voltage/high current alternator, which makes AC at some intermediate voltage (typically 12Vac to 48Vac). the output of the alternator is converted to DC by a rectifier and bulk capacitor circuit, and in turn that DC is fed into an inverter circuit. the inverter circuit synthesizes a sine wave (or modified sine wave) output of 120Vac @ 60Hz. it is VERY uncommon that a inverter generator offers a split-phase 120Vac/240Vac output -- the vast majority of inverter generators for the USA market are 120Vac only.

the upshot of this additional conversion step is that it decouples the engine RPM from the output frequency and voltage. the engine is now free to run at only the speed/power output required to support the load. at low loads, the engine will operate just above idle, consuming very little fuel and making very little noise. there is a major downside, however: at low speeds there is very little rotational inertia to overcome the high starting current needed by typical AC motors attached to pumps, fans, and compressors. hence, when an inverter generator is operated in "economy" mode, there may be an appreciable output voltage sag until the engine comes up to a power output/RPM more suited for the load. if this proves problematic (e.g., the circuit breaker pops before the motor starts), the "economy mode" will have to be switch off in order to satisfactorily start the motor load.

for powering typical loads that most folks are looking for in portable or semi-portable SHTF generators (say 1KW -> 4KW), the inverter type generator will be more fuel efficient, vastly quieter for typical loads, and the engine will last longer since it generally operates at a lower RPM. however, inverter generators are a poor solution for AC motor starting applications -- an inverter generator will usually have to be set to run at maximum output (i.e., economy mode OFF) in order to start motor loads. this sort of defeats the purpose of the added inverter section.

in summary:

inverter generators win over direct-coupled generators in the following areas:
-- fuel consumption (=high efficiency at lower than maximum output )
-- noise level
-- weight
-- engine lifespan
-- integral battery charging capability is a typical feature, as it is a byproduct of the inverter mid-stage.

direct-coupled generators win over inverter generators in the following areas:
-- cost
-- motor starting ability (well pumps, air compressors, air conditioners, and so on)
-- high efficiency at maximum output
-- ease of repair
-- split-phase power output for running 240Vac loads such as well pumps, in addition to typical 120Vac loads.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#36]
A question I have...

Running a generator is inefficient.  An internal combustion engine only provides 100% efficiency at 100% power.

Leaving the generator 'loping along' for 90% of the its use is wasting 90% of the fuel.

Has anyone ever sat down and looked at how to maximize the fuel vs power curve?

It would seem, to me at least, that turning on the generator and then max loading it for 1 hour (plug in freezer, fridge, TV, fridge, well pump, battery charger) and then turning it off for 4 hours would be a better option in a true SHTF scenario.

Running a generator to make a pot of coffee, turn on a light, watch a DVD, or even run a single space heater, is wasting fuel/energy for a convenience.

Thoughts?

TRG
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I southern rigged it this time, but will either have a transfer switch in place, or will put an outlet in the attic to plug/unplug the furnace.

But what I did was cut the romex, strip the wires, cram it into the female end of a computer power cord, then plugged it into an extension cord.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was worried our power would go down - I have a generator, and it works as well now as it did when I pulled it out of my ex's garage almost two years ago.  That is to say, it doesn't work.  Kept meaning to get it fixed and kept putting it off.  Would've served me right had we lost power.

Hondaciv, how did you get your furnace running off the genny?  Just hard wire the extension cord into the power switch for the blower? I did that a few years ago in IL - a gas furnace really only needs the blower running to work, so I cut the female end off an extension cord and wired it right up to the on/off switch.

I cringe when I read this.  Take a look at the thread I started a few days ago.  Just completed a safe and easy way to put a plug on an existing gas furnace.  $8 worth of parts and about 30 min of time.  
Read this thread
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A question I have...
Running a generator is inefficient.  An internal combustion engine only provides 100% efficiency at 100% power.
Leaving the generator 'loping along' for 90% of the its use is wasting 90% of the fuel.
It would seem, to me at least, that turning on the generator and then max loading it for 1 hour (plug in freezer, fridge, TV, fridge, well pump, battery charger) and then turning it off for 4 hours would be a better option in a true SHTF scenario.
Running a generator to make a pot of coffee, turn on a light, watch a DVD, or even run a single space heater, is wasting fuel/energy for a convenience.
Thoughts?
TRG
View Quote

keeping the generator duty cycle low is key; this approach can be aided by using a storage battery and an inverter, so you have some power when the generator is off.
this is also why using at small generator at 90% output will beat using a big generator at 30% output, every time.
the problem is that a big generator may be needed to start motor loads (such as a well pump, etc).

the concepts above are pretty much the exact reasons i ended up with 2 sizes of generators:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661411_Sandy____12_days_without_power__what_worked__what_didn_t____.html

for the 12 days, the larger one i ran maybe 20 minutes per day.
the smaller one was running more often but it sips fuel.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A question I have...

Thoughts?

TRG
View Quote

One big generator, one small generator.

Add in batteries, and use other methods for a lot on your list, and you can stretch your gas pretty doggone far.  

I did it.  In the past few years I did it a LOT  It works.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

keeping the generator duty cycle low is key; this approach can be aided by using a storage battery and an inverter, so you have some power when the generator is off.
this is also why using at small generator at 90% output will beat using a big generator at 30% output, every time.
the problem is that a big generator may be needed to start motor loads (such as a well pump, etc).

the concepts above are pretty much the exact reasons i ended up with 2 sizes of generators:

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A question I have...
Thoughts?
TRG

ar-jedi

I have 6 2v sealed batteries and a charger that I planned to be charging if/when I used my gen.

Good idea on the 2 gen system.  interdasting.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

do it once, do it right... http://home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/gen1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Dallas, and my power went out around 5 am Friday morning and came back on around 8 PM Sunday night. I had finally bought a generator earlier in the year anticipating an event like this. Our power goes out often, but rarely for days at a time. My generator was one I bought at Harbor Freight for $279.00 It is the 3200w 4000w peak generator. Link So heres some random thoughts and stuff I learned.

1) 3200 watts is about enough to stay comfortable, but not enough for everything. The dishes piled up (Yeah i know i could have washed them by hand) and so did the laundry. It wouldn't come close to running the central AC in the summer. I ran central heat (gas), fridge, 60" plasma tv, receiver, a few lamps, ipad, laptop, and iphone chargers. Even with all that, had enough left over to run an extension cord to the neighbors so they could plug in a small space heater. I had kill-a-watts on every extension end so I knew exactly how much power I was using, and how much I had in reserve.

2) 3 gas cans isn't enough. I was about 50 - 90% capacity on my generator, and burned a total of 25 gallons of gas in those 60 hours. Which means I had to leave the house once to get more gas. And those stupid post-ban gas filler/spouts are infuriating. I will fix both these issues.

3) Keeping the generator fed with gas was kind of like feeding a baby. Setting my alarm every 8 hours to go outside in the frigid cold to refill it made me lose sleep.

4) A transfer panel would be really really nice to have instead of stringing 500 extension cables and power strips everywhere

5) A natural gas conversion is also something I will heavily consider.

do it once, do it right... http://home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/gen1.jpg

Odd that the electrician did the extra work of running his pipe underground while the plumber ran it above.  If the trench was there, the plumber should have used it too.  I don't like that gas pipe at the height for that distance.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I cringe when I read this.  Take a look at the thread I started a few days ago.  Just completed a safe and easy way to put a plug on an existing gas furnace.  $8 worth of parts and about 30 min of time.  
Read this thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read this thread

We rigged almost all of our heaters with plugs and sockets to speed generator tie in. The key is to have the hardware setup or on hand. When this weather set in,I had to make a run to the hardware store, you bet your ass that I picked up spare plugs for just in case.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Yea well if your a Paratrooper you just need a box of MREs and wooby
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The homeowner had connected a portable generator to the house’s circuitry which caused electrical energy to backfeed to the line Adams was splicing, energizing it. Adams was electrocuted when he cut the line

ar-jedi

View Quote

I don't doubt the facts here, but where was the power going before he cut it? If I was accidentally backfeeding the line, wouldn't all the stuff that my neighbors left plugged in and turned on overload my generator and kill it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And those stupid post-ban gas filler/spouts are infuriating.
View Quote

There is one of the new CARB cans that's actually pretty decent at filling generators, lawn mowers, other stuff like that... they aren't so great for cars, but they have an extension that helps some for cars.  Anyway it's the No-Spill brand.  I have non-carb stuff for cars, but use the no-spill by preference for most other things I need to fuel.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good way to kill a lineman.
View Quote

Not if you flip off the mains and/or pull the disconnect (which you MUST do if you do that kind of hookup), but we don't need to revisit the whole argument.  The sliding interlock shown earlier is pretty easy and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't doubt the facts here, but where was the power going before he cut it? If I was accidentally backfeeding the line, wouldn't all the stuff that my neighbors left plugged in and turned on overload my generator and kill it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The homeowner had connected a portable generator to the house’s circuitry which caused electrical energy to backfeed to the line Adams was splicing, energizing it. Adams was electrocuted when he cut the line

ar-jedi

Yes it would, either way just turn off the main line before you start up the gen (and keep it off) and it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really bad idea and I have no idea where you people come up with this dangerous stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have no idea where you people come up with this dangerous stuff.
View Quote

Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I had a similar experience a few years back.  

Subsequent to that incident, I purchased a NG 20kw Generac.  Comes with the auto transfer stuff.  I couldn't begin to install myself, thank god I had a buddy that was fluent in that language

It is a great investment.  Set it and forget it type of installation.  I would highly recommend one to anyone in The market.

ETA: I considered this purchase to be an investment.   I realize it isn't making me any money, but it makes up that shortcoming with peace of mind.  Anyone who is prone to outages should really look into one.
View Quote

My house runs off propane and I have been seriously considering getting a whole house standby generator, and a spare 500 gallon tank with manual cutover. Should be able to run everything in the house for longer than any typical power outages should last.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top