+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More pics

Burlington Northern and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe merged in the mid-90's spawning BNSF.  Its rare to find locomotives on the BNSF roster still not "patched" or painted with the BNSF patch on them.  I think theres only 7 actual ATSF locomotives left, and maybe 200 unpatched BNs out of a 9,000 unit roster.

This is a new new series of locomotives by GE caled the Evolution Series.  Its their answer to the SD70ACe.  This one is called the ES44AC, and its in BNSFs new scheme  These units were 10 days out of the GE shops and both broke down.  GE sux!

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/BriansTrainPix/100_2399.jpg

This one goes out to our main BN Man, Boomer.  A rare unpatched BN SD40-2

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/BriansTrainPix/100B3272.jpg

This is a BNSF SD45-2.  I took this on Monday, the last day of the latest Hun Farm event, as I was going home.  8 hours after I shot this locomotive it was destroyed in a wreck and fre, so I'm told.  

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/BriansTrainPix/100_3419.jpg

Saturday, when I went into town for stuffs, ILL wondered why I was gone so long....

Just had the AVP of Training From Overland Park on my train the other day.He said the Evolutions are running around 98-99% without mechanical problems.He said that is unheard of for a new series of engines just hitting the road.Most of the time its much lower because they are still working out the kinks.

Down here, its actually quite common to see ES44ACs and DCs with their doors upon because something isnt working correctly.  Even UP, who calls their ES44ACs, C45ACCTE's are having problems with them.  Those two BNSF ES44AC units I shot were 10 days off the production line according to the mechanics on scene and the Saginaw Yard master.  He wasnt too thrilled because they were clogging up his line.  BTW, they got the 2nd unit running, but the first one wouldnt start, so they used it to control the 2 other units up front and the unit in the DPU position at the rear.

I dont doubt your story.We have them on every coal train that comes through anymore, no problems on our end.Seems like the Sd-70's are always blowing traction motors or main res. or something.

Its about time.  The SD70MACs are over 10 years old.  They are worked very hard by BNSF.  Much more so than the few AC44CWs BNSF bought to augment the SD70MAC fleet.  The 70MACs are a damn fine locomotive, the SD70ACe is the replacement for the MACs.  BNSF ordered close to 100 of the SD70ACes, and they'll be numbered the 9300 series.  The first ones should be rolling of the production line within a month.  We'll get to see them down here, because FTW is home office for BNSF.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ever been hassled by JBTs for taking pictures of "vunerable infrastructure"?

Depends on your definition of harrased.

I had a KCS guy give me some shit until I explained that I had premission from his boss.

I mostly photograph down the street from DPD's HQ.  They stop by and check to make sure I'm ok, and to ask if I've seen anyone stealing things off trains.

Railroad Special Agents around here are pretty cool.  The last group were rather prickish.  I've been told that NS SA's are called Nazi Southern, because they are anal retentive, but down here, its very calm.

The horror stories you hear about railfans being arrested are mostly true, but its not because of the JBTs.  Its because alot of railfans believe that "No Tresspassing" signs dont apply to them.  Some violate out of stupidity, some out of arrogance.  I have a habit of asking for permission, something most wont do.  Most yard bosses and SA's are so taken back that someone would rather ask permission,than just violate, that they stutter at first.  In the years I've been a railfan, I've never been questioned by a SA, other than a "How's it going", "Whats up", or "Hey, catch anything good today".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top