Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
OH, I forgot, I also REALLY REALLY want to be able to put a SOUND SURPRESSOR and collapsable stock on my AR10A2C. Oh, and on a M96 recon. -And on my USC with 30-rnd mags (folding stock though). Oh, and a sound surpressor on my VEPR II, and AR10(T) as well.  Screw flash hiders, I don't want them.  But, I'll fight for your right to have them.

-Justin
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As far as I know there has never been a legal challenge brought up in the Supreme Court regarding the 1994 amendments to the Gun Control Act of 1968.  I'd love to see it happen though.
View Quote

You already missed it - Navegar v. US (cert. denied)
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

One of the problems I hear in this thread is the theme that the AWB tramples our constitutional rights, but it doesn't seem that the Supreme Court or any other authority is really taking that position.  !
View Quote

The beautiful thing about rights is that they exist whether or not my gov't chooses to recognize them.

We have SOOO much to teach you, grasshopper.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats Phil, you may have wanted to just stir up a sh*t storm which you accomplished nicely but you may have also thrown yourself into the B.O.G. pit. I hope not cause it's definatly a place I wouldn't want to be.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
At lasst appraisal, my NFA collection (that I can't bring to the KSSR!) is worth in the neighbourhood of $700K.  I'm not rich - these are all family transferables and it's just my turn.  I know I could sell them for a good profit and get all my bills paid off with a tidy chunk left over, but my wife won't even ask me to do it - she already knows the answer.

I do not view this hardware as an investment - it is a collection of things I like to have.  It is also a collection I would like to expand.

If NFA34, GCA68, and the various AW bans were to drop, my collection would likely depreciate to less than $100K.  I don't care - I'd like to expand it, like I said.  I'd like to not have to maintain a whole collection of Form 4's and tax stamps - and be inspected TWICE every year (ATF checks out my granddad who is "custodian" of my collection, and checks me out to see if my paperwork matches his...)

I'd like to buy BAR mags and M14 mags for a lot less than they are now.  I'd like to buy AR mags for what I pay for my 1991 mags.  I'd like to build a stainless AR - just for fun.  I'd like to buy an AR10 and do a select-fire conversion on it - just for fun.  

The ability to do things like that is worth more than my entire collection - I want all of us to be able to do these things!  Money isn't the object here.  Rights are.

Make sense now?

FFZ

EDIT - I forgot - I'd also like to keep spare wipes and baffles around for my suppressors, instead of having a can down for three weeks waiting for spares to come in, because spare suppressor parts are a felony...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope I lose money on my pre's - I pray I lose money on my pre's.

It's about freedom, dipshit - not money.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Based on a discussion in another thread, I'd like to see what the view here is on letting the assault weapons ban sunset vs. renewing it.

As we all know, the assault weapons law passed in 1994 will sunset shortly unless congress and the president enact a new one.

From my perspective, it seems contrary to my interest to let it sunset as I have 2 bushmaster prebans.  With a preban worth $1500-$2K and up, I have no interest in ending the very law that creates the artificial shortage and corresponding pricing, immediately causing the value of a cherry preban specimen to fall below the value of a newly made rifle.  

What does the board think?  Let it sunset?  Renew the crime bill?
View Quote

Not much into flamming folks, but [b]are you HIGH![):)][/b]
I think you should sell your rifle right now.
If you're buying non-class III weapons for investment purposes only, I've got a bridge I want to sell you. Hell you'll get a better 3 year return on ERON stock than you will buying prebans.
Two words...Second Amendment!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lots of people with CLASS III weapons with thousands invested wish the 86 ban would go away.  They would end up loosing thousands of dollars and even though that would suck, they would gladly "suffer."   Why?  Well they would be able to get newer FA weapons for a cheaper cost.
View Quote

Me included!

Quoted:
You guys that look at this from the dollar issue make me sick.  Guns are machines and machines eventually wear out and break.  The purpose behind the ban was to get rid of the supply of guns and it will eventually work if this bill does not expire.
View Quote

My M4 is a shooter and it's getting worn out! Oh well, there goes another 10K.[:(]

Edited to say: Another 10k? What? Screw that! I can't afford another 10K! These bans need to go away!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd shit my pants and jump up and down like i won the lottery if the AWB sunsets and is not replaced by any NAZI crap.

Think about what we could now buy:

HK-G36
Steyr AUG
Steyr ACR
$15 Glock magazines
$5 AR-15 magazines
AK-100 anything
AN-94
FN-FNC/AK-5
FN-2000 (-GL of course)
SAR-21 maybe, but i'd rather have the FN-2000
SAKO M-90/Valmets
Galil's
.45acp hi-caps...for any .45 [:)]
HK-MP5 (HK-94)
Spanish CETME's in .223
HI-capacity Shotguns with pistol gripped stocks

Did i miss anything Decent?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I said earlier that I had known Phil for 10 years......I never said I liked him!![shock]
On second thought, we should have him tossed off the board for even suggesting such a ridiculous idea.  As a matter of fact I'm going over to his house tonight to confiscate his two preban ARs!!!  He doesn't deserve them!!  Pssst...wanna buy two preban bushmaster???

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Lets not flame the NFA community, I have a lot of $ in NFA stuff, and would love the laws to go away for the same reason as everyone else. These bans are stupid and have created of rich armchair commandos that have made collecting a sport of kings! I'd sacrifice every penny I have in NFA guns to be able to buy more on a working stiffs salary! Why should only the very rich own NFA guns? Sadly, even in the unlikely event the ban sunsets, it won't effect NFA guns. Thats a 1986 law that doesn't sunset as far as I know. But I'd love to buy several ARs configured the way I want!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
It warms my heart to see how many of us put our freedom first.  Our Constitution has been paid for in BLOOD many times over.  I sure hope that you were just playing DA, Phil, and not really so worried about loosing a few hundred in perceived value.

All of these "bans" is just a way for the liberals divide us until we defeat ourselves with the F- you, I got mine syndrome.

I would have more to say but it's already all been said.

"He would trade essential liberty, for short term profit, deserves neither"  -
- Me, with apologies to B. Franklin
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK, I am guilty in the post -- I was just playing a little DEVILS ADVOCATE...quote]

Hey, That's MY JOB...LOL
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I hereby sentence you to death. A member of the conspiracy will soon be at your home. Don't leave.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Gun collecting is an investment?? [shock]

Oh.........
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd shit my pants and jump up and down like i won the lottery if the AWB sunsets and is not replaced by any NAZI crap.

HK-G36
Steyr AUG
Steyr ACR
$15 Glock magazines
$5 AR-15 magazines
AK-100 anything
AN-94
FN-FNC/AK-5
FN-2000 (-GL of course)
SAKO M-90/Valmets
Galil's
HK-MP5 (HK-94)
Spanish CETME's in .223
View Quote

well almost everything on that list except the mags and the shotguns we would still be SOL on  unless someone made em in the states becouse of Bush sr. and his import ban.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
now i may be a dot com newbie here, so maybe my two pennies don't carry as much weight...but the opening question literally makes me f@#%ing ill.

what, are we all just to assign a dollar value to our rights?!? don't think so. being a man of little means, i work my ass of to afford the weapons that i own, and am thankful for the right to own them. so when i hear someone speak out of either selfish intent or ignorace concerning the future of the 2nd, i say..."congratulations, you'll make a great politician."

think i'm gonna go hurl now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The ban was a joke in the first place, so I for one would LOVE for it to die a natural (or otherwise) death. I own 2 Preban AR's and one Preban AK. So they're worth some dough, so what? That isn't why I bought them. I won't give two s**t's wht they are worth, what price freedom?

Something much worse is coming my Brothers, hang on to your collective asses. To boot, the NRA will probably back the sumbitch.[x]
IMHO
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK-G36
Steyr AUG
Steyr ACR
$15 Glock magazines
$5 AR-15 magazines
AK-100 anything
AN-94
FN-FNC/AK-5
FN-2000 (-GL of course)
SAKO M-90/Valmets
Galil's
HK-MP5 (HK-94)
Spanish CETME's in .223

View Quote

The sunset of the '94 ban will not affect imports, as they were banned under the '89 bill. [:(]
View Quote

....AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so if people are fighting for a new AW ban,  who is fighting to let it sunset?  who is fighting for our side up at capital hill?
View Quote

so who is fighting for us?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Bye Bye Ban Ban
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
A pre-ban weapon will always be a pre-ban weapon, Sunset or no, and in my opinion they will always command a higher price than a post-ban weapon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A pre-ban weapon will always be a pre-ban weapon, Sunset or no, and in my opinion they will always command a higher price than a post-ban weapon.
View Quote

no it wont. people will not pay higher prices to get a older  of somthing if they can get the same thing brand new for a cheaper price. (assuming the AWB sunsets)  i wouldnt pay extra because it was made in 94 or before.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#25]
If my pre-bans lose their value after the sunset, so what...
I still own them...

I buy guns because I want them, not because they might go up in value...

I honestly don't think a new ban will replace the old one...

Remember, the '94 ban is sunsetting because it didn't pass by a 2/3 majority, even with a Dem President...
Split 50/50, It only passed by Al Gore's 1 vote...

Had this '94 ban been passed with a 2/3 majority, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...

It would have been permanent in '94 already...

Given the fact the Democrats now know the gun issue cost them the last election, I doubt they will persue the issue as aggressively as before...

That's just my "optimistic" opinion...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]
If GWB really was our friend he would get rid of the 1989 law his daddy screwed us with too.

Is anyone planning to unload their pre-bans or mags before the sunset?

If things get worse, your stuff will go up in value, if things get better, $3 AR mags would be quite bittersweet when I have (30) that I paid a lot more for.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
As I see it you have 2 choices

1. start to overturn the ban now -- that means being able to keep it off the floor and not let it be voted on.  You do this by electing congressmen.  You must become involved in the electorial process, not just a voter but an activist.

See [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=103555[/url]
2. Do nothing and hope for the best.  ( you will be sucking hind tit if you do)

whatchayagoinado [evil]

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I say replace the sunset ban with a more restrictive one. Time and time again the assault weapon ban has been proven to be a powerful crime fighting tool.

[b]If you are against the ban, you are not only a cop basher but an anti-semite as many police organizations and the ADL are in favor of it.[/b]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Boy, I'm sure glad that nobody here has any guns, otherwise I bet this guy would get a lot of Flames...

Ohh, oops...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top