Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely it lands in the desert or ocean. But Obama will never let a good crisis go to waste to you'll see news coverage about how debris caused damage in Rwanda or Sudan. Under the guidance of the Council of Foreign Relations and the first wookie. The US will fund a study of copper sulfate and other substances used in the space program and it's effects on the poor indigenous peoples.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Can someone smarter than me tell me how we can land a man on the light side of the moon, but we don't know where a satellite is going to re-enter the earths atmosphere? Wouldn't the same equations of velocity, trajectory, et al. be the same?  
The equations don't have to change to severely complicate matters.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So, I figure now's a good time to bump this poll.

Here's an update as of my current post time. Estimated re-entry time is about 4:04UTC, with a variance of + or - 3 hours. This places the projected re-entry location as somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The satellite is spinning along at quite a clip however, somewhere in the range of 12,000 miles per hour, so that 6 hour window of uncertainty means it could be coming down anywhere along a line some 70,000 miles long.

For example, if it re-enters at 4:19UTC then I'm gonna have one hell of a show here in Washington State.

Here's a useful map: UARS via Reentry News Note: the hash marks you see on the lines represent where the satellite would be at five minute intervals. So, the orange circle (indicating where people are likely to see the fireball of it entering the atmosphere) would shift along those hash marks at five minute intervals if the current estimate is incorrect.

So! The current poll still has a lot of useful options. America and Europe, as well as our favorite right now MECCA, are still on the table! Africa is a good bet, as are the oceans, but it looks like I really should have included Australia! Of course, it looks like New Zealand is on one of those tracks as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What is UTC time?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is UTC time?

Effectively, pretty much, Greenwich Mean Time. Universal Coordinated Time.

Go Here to see the current time in UTC.

And, update to my update, NASA now projects that the satellite will re-enter somewhere between 3 am and 7 am UTC. That unfortunately may take Mecca off the list of possibilities, if I recall correctly.
Go here for updates from NASA.

Those of you on the west coast might, maybe, possibly be able to see the satellite at about 9:15 PST. Plus minus a huge margin of error

It might be around again for another pass, who knows.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok so UTC is 4 hours ahead of Eastern Time, or 7 Hours ahead of the West Coast.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I am driving up the california coast on 101.  if the clouds don't move in I might see something.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Gonna hit in the Bronx.........................who will care?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
How big of a splash will it make?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How big of a splash will it make?

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
just passed over Australia
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top