BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In addition to being on the History Channel tonight, I have been on TV lots of other times. I have been interviewed several times for local and national news shows. Once debated Orrin Hatch on TV briefly. One appearance on Oprah Winfrey against William Bennett. I was on another short-lived talk show "The Mo Gaffney Show".  Several local cable shows. I was on the game show "Split Second" years ago (won $290 and some makeup for men -- missed winning the car by a hair). My wife was on The Price is Right (won nothing -- didn't follow my directions), and we were both on Let's Make A Deal (won $150 - Monty gave away very little on that show)  Tom Brokaw called me for an on-air interview during one of the national elections a few years back -- I wasn't home. It was just as well. I didn't want to talk about the election, anyway.

My wife was also an extra in the movie "Coach Carter".  I was also on the news almost every night for a while during the 2000 elections. I was working for NBC in Burbank, doing their election-night web site. I worked right behind the place where they always do those short spots of the reporter in front of the busy people working in the office. I was also interviewed on TV in the UK years ago as one of the stranded travelers when they grounded all the DC-10s. I told them I was tremendously bored by it all.

There is more. I just tend to forget about a lot of it. Being on TV and in movies and stuff is fairly routine in my family.

What do you do that so many would want you on their TV show?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much same deal here. I was marketing manager for an NPR affiliate that was celebrating it's 25th anniversary. Local news interviewed me, chopped most of what I said.

Oh and I was sort of when I got run over. Just the ambulance and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I was on the news after I was involved in a bar clearing fight that resulted in a guy spending some time at the hospital, he's the one on the gurney getting loaded in the ambulance with several paramedics working on him and I'm the 6' and at that time 230lb guy in handcuffs being put into the back of a crusier by a 5' 1" 120lb. brunett policewomen, to add there were a few others being put into crusiers that didn't make it on camera and the dude that did the actual shooting was caught the next day, guess the police decided to play it safe and take everyone involved in the fight in since they said we were being uncoopertive, they cut me loose at the hospital(guess they figured four shattered bones in my hand was enough proof that I was just trying to get outta there) and the other guys a few hours later after they got lawyers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Way back in the 70's in a news segment about an unkown child buried in a potters field I was captured on TV riding a dirt bike in the background.

I think also I may have been in the news on one of those "Troops returning from Saudi" segments.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Wolfman, good job on the show last night.
I was one of those that hated speaking in front of a group of people, so when the camera suddenly appeared a foot from my face I was scared sh!tless. I guess I muttled through it ok as everyone said that I did a good job. I was glad to see him go away, but he came back two more times.
DD
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
On the news twice .

The first time was for armed robbery at a gas station I was
working at when I was 17 .

The second time was sting job that 20/20 did about
automotive shops ripping off customers .

They pulled in with a rigged ford Taurus with a simple
problem that I found in 5 min and corrected .  The shop
owner charged them a fair price for the fix and hookup of the scan
tool to diagnose and clear the trouble code which turns off
the check engine light . Around $30 which was a half hrs labor
at that time .

They still thought it was a rip off since it was simply an un plugged
sensor . Which is BS since it's a basic business concept that
when you use a piece of equipment that needs yearly updates
like the scan tool . Then you need to charge each time you use it
to cover the ROI on it .

So while they were in the office interviewing the shop owner
another tech and myself snuck out and showed them how to
rig a vehicle .

After their " Expert " spent 2 hrs trying to figure out why the car
wouldn’t start and right before they called for a tow truck . We told
him what it was .....

Of course that part didn’t make the story

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure I should fess up to this here or not but I was on the Sally Jesse Raphael show. I met my wife on the internet five years ago, one day I was fucking around with her and told her she should write one of those stupid talk shows and tell them we met on the net and get us a free trip somewhere. Sure shit she did it and the Sally show just happen to be doing a show on internet relationships. We got a free trip to New York, limosines, hotel and money to go out. It was actually a lot of fun and all I had to do was ask her to marry me on TV. Now I'm glad we did it because it gave me the chance to see the World Trade Center in person before the cowards took it out ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I was an extra on the A-Team on a 2hr episode.
Met George Peppard (really nice guy) & Mr. T (total JO)
Had dinner at the same table as the guy that played Murdoch.

I was only on for maybe 10 seconds, but it was cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The wife and I were on 20/20 that aired on Christmas eve back in '90 when we went to N.Y. to pick up our daughter we adopted in Romania.  We watch the tape every year on Christmas eve.   Can't believe she's almost 16 and driving!   All drivers beware.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple times locally as a child on one of those kids shows in the early 60's.

In the background of a local new report footage in the late 60's

Working on the America's Most wanted set while John Walsh did his intro about fugitives in 1989.  We talked and joked between the live takes.  Walsh is a squared away guy.

On a Discovery or History Channel feature ( I forget)... in my range firing (indoor four position 25 yard range) shooting an AR next to a co-worker doing the same, about 4 years ago.  Camera was set up down range to get the footage.

Seems like there is another... but can't  pull it up!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Autocloser was using my house for a commercial and I offered up some better props for the "cop" (Ken Farmer, the Wolf Chili voice) to wear.  Then they asked if I wanted to help.  I play a theif stealing from a garage [mine].  You can see me steal my leaf blower, my tools, my motorcycle, haha.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I was on the local news a couple times due to my job.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In addition to being on the History Channel tonight, I have been on TV lots of other times. I have been interviewed several times for local and national news shows. Once debated Orrin Hatch on TV briefly. One appearance on Oprah Winfrey against William Bennett. I was on another short-lived talk show "The Mo Gaffney Show".  Several local cable shows. I was on the game show "Split Second" years ago (won $290 and some makeup for men -- missed winning the car by a hair). My wife was on The Price is Right (won nothing -- didn't follow my directions), and we were both on Let's Make A Deal (won $150 - Monty gave away very little on that show)  Tom Brokaw called me for an on-air interview during one of the national elections a few years back -- I wasn't home. It was just as well. I didn't want to talk about the election, anyway.

My wife was also an extra in the movie "Coach Carter".  I was also on the news almost every night for a while during the 2000 elections. I was working for NBC in Burbank, doing their election-night web site. I worked right behind the place where they always do those short spots of the reporter in front of the busy people working in the office. I was also interviewed on TV in the UK years ago as one of the stranded travelers when they grounded all the DC-10s. I told them I was tremendously bored by it all.

There is more. I just tend to forget about a lot of it. Being on TV and in movies and stuff is fairly routine in my family.

What do you do that so many would want you on their TV show?

My web site accounts for a lot of it, Schaffer Library of Drug Policy

The game shows were just a matter of answering an ad in the newspaper and knowing what they wanted. Split Second wanted people who were good with trivia (I am). Le'ts Make a Deal wanted ordinary people in goofy costumes (we wore brake lights on our head).

We live in LA so we are around it and tend to run into a fair number of opportunities to be on TV/in movies. Two of my daughters went to acting school, I know some of the regulars on Deadwood and other shows, etc.

Also, I tend to be a good bullshitter and can spark some spirited confrontations on the right kinds of shows.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wolfman, good job on the show last night.
I was one of those that hated speaking in front of a group of people, so when the camera suddenly appeared a foot from my face I was scared sh!tless. I guess I muttled through it ok as everyone said that I did a good job. I was glad to see him go away, but he came back two more times.
DD

Thanks. You shouldn't worry about being in front a group. On reason is that nearly everyone else is terrified of being in front of a group so 95 percent of them will think you are courageous if you just stand up -- no matter how bad you do.

Johnny Carson once said that if you are a little nervous on TV it will look like you are dead calm. If you are really nervous, it will look like you are a bit excited. If you are completely falling to pieces, it will look like you are a little nervous.

What I tell people is to drop the fears entirely and get used to it. Are you afraid of looking stupid? Hell, forget that, because you looked stupid when you walked in here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]
TV, yes a number of times.  Radio, yes a number of times, including NPR. . . .
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I was filmed for a BBC story on Erectile Disfunction. (and no, I wasn't the subject - I was designing data acquisition systems for a urologist and they thought boxes with flashy lights and data recorders would be cool to film)
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
A few times. When there was a vehicle pursuit in brooklyn, the car was found a couple blocks from the precinct. Idiot sargeant drove vehicle to precinct, destroying prints on steering wheel and keys.

Usually in stock shots of the Chinatown precinct.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was filmed for a BBC story on Erectile Disfunction. (and no, I wasn't the subject - I was designing data acquisition systems for a urologist and they thought boxes with flashy lights and data recorders would be cool to film)

ED, somehow that's appropriate on ar15.com. . .
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Many times.  

Why does that not surprise me ....
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I was on The Ramblin Rod show when I was 8 years old. I won the smile winner contest.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I was in the cheap seats at a NFL game that was televised nationally

That's where I'll be tonight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I was interviewed about CCW permits at a gun range by news reporter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top