Quoted:
Fury, The Pacific, Act of Valor
View Quote

Oh now you done it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were soldiers, Blackhawk Down, and (I hate to say it) Saving Private Ryan are probably the best that I can recall.    I'm so jaded against war movies these days, it's hard to interest me due to all the derp.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went and saw American Sniper at the theater last night, I liked it. Granted I don't nit pick every detail about movies. Before that the last war movie I liked was We Were Soldiers, before that one Black Hawk Down.

We were soldiers, Blackhawk Down, and (I hate to say it) Saving Private Ryan are probably the best that I can recall.    I'm so jaded against war movies these days, it's hard to interest me due to all the derp.

If you really want to get the Derp flowing in GD mention that you like Thin Red Line(I do). Platoon I've watched dozens of times, Hamburger Hill is decent, Full Metal Jacket is only good for the basic portion. Saving Private Ryan is good. I'm trying to think of others but drawing a blank.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
'Fury' was good
I haven't seen 'American Sniper' yet
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Band of Brothers is the best IMHO. I have watched the series at least 20 times, read the book and subsequent books by various Easy co members. I think it captured the men and what they went thru better than most. The interviews with some of the remaining living members at the time was awesome. I have not watched anything that can I can compare since, maybe Black Hawk Down but the book was much better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Lone Survivor was pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know Band of Brothers isn't a movie, but it is the leading candidate by which all others should be measured. SPR is a very close second though.

ETA: Although casting "Ross" as Captain Sobel was a fucking epic fail IMO.
View Quote

Are you kidding? He was phenomenal in that. Easily the best performance of his career.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you kidding? He was phenomenal in that. Easily the best performance of his career.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know Band of Brothers isn't a movie, but it is the leading candidate by which all others should be measured. SPR is a very close second though.

I have to agree, they needed to cast a Douche and he fit the role like a glove. Very easy to hate him. One of the best parts...

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Fury, I liked it a lot, especially when they were changing track.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Fury
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fury
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Last time I saw a great war movie was Saving Private Ryan.
I don't remember anything in between.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The guy was a dead ringer, visually, for the real Sobel.

One of my favorites is Stalag 17.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Windtalkers.

View Quote

Yikes...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We Were Soldiers...i havent seen any of the recent ones
View Quote

That really was a great movie.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"ETA: Although casting "Ross" as Captain Sobel was a fucking epic fail IMO."
Actually since he was supposed to be playing a giant Douchebag, I thought it was pretty good casting!
View Quote

I also think David Schwimmer did a great job in Band of Brothers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll put a plug in for Act of Valor.  The movie as a whole was only okay, but some of the action scenes are great.  When I just want to watch a few minutes of good movie combat scenes, I put it on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Easy. "Unbroken."
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall, what was the conflict between Sobel and the others? I haven't watched that series in a long while.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I really enjoyed Beneath Hill 60 too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Old style war movies.To Hell and Back, 1955. Audie Murphy. I guess current war movies keep looking for meaning and other nuances.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Fury and Unbroken were both very good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I just watched "Unbroken".

It reminded me of my grandfather's stoic attitude toward his captors after having survived the Bataan Death March only to arrive at a camp where he remained until the POW liberation over three years later. He never said anything nice or untoward about them, but I knew he was not indifferent. It was as though whatever he was thinking about when related topics came up, was simply beyond the capacity of others to understand and seemingly not worth discussing. I assumed this was because it would probably be meaningless to attempt to express to others what his point of view was with words. Overall, he was a quiet man with a very calm and reasonable disposition, but I also sensed that his apparent composure was very deliberate.. almost vigilant.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I never watched the show he was in. Friends? So it never bothered me as I hadn't known him from any where else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Fury is great!
View Quote

Best since Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan IMO
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I actually liked American Sniper.

Black Hawk Down was the last war movie before that I actually liked.

Even though i absolutely hated the movie, the ending of the Hurt Locker was really good. Now if only the other 2 hours hadn't been the biggest piece of crap filmed.
Jarhead gets a close second. Fuck that movie. And the book.

Act of Valor: man respect to the guys in it. But as a movie, it was just pretty ridiculous. Not a total waste of time, but after about the first 30 minutes of headshots, I got the idea.

still need to see Fury and Lone Survivor
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fury was pretty good.
View Quote

Until the very end, in which case it totally jumped the shark...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#31]
toss up between Kelly's Heroes and 1941
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Patton
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Fury was surprisingly good, IMO.  I want to see Unbroken next, the book was excellent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"ETA: Although casting "Ross" as Captain Sobel was a fucking epic fail IMO."
Actually since he was supposed to be playing a giant Douchebag, I thought it was pretty good casting!

Sobel:  That motorcycle is army property Sgt Guarnere. That might not mean anything to you, but it means something to me.  Understood?

Guarnere:  Yes sir Captain

Next scene
Guarnere drinking beer laughing while driving away on motercycle.

Guarnere on a visit supporting our boys in kuwait.  Holding sweet gold

My favorite episode is Bastone when they featured Eugene Roe the medic.  Also I really liked the Episode crossroads.  Both of those episodes were amazing.  The whole series was incredible.

Some one already mentioned the interviews of the elder vets.  There are not many of them left.

Richard Winters RIP. The real picture should have been first.

Grandfather were you a hero in the war,  No grandson but I served in a company of heros.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree, in fact that first episode showing Sobel and the paratrooper training is my hands down favorite.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Driving Miss Daisy, and I was a space shuttle door gunner/drop ship trooper
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Enemy at the Gates wasn`t that bad,and I kinda liked Stalingrad Snipers
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't recall, what was the conflict between Sobel and the others? I haven't watched that series in a long while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you obviously need to correct that. It's on Amazon Prime if you have that.

Lots of good movies listed here. I'll add The Great Raid.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I liked American Sniper.  I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.  Fury was good too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just watched "Unbroken".

It reminded me of my grandfather's stoic attitude toward his captors after having survived the Bataan Death March only to arrive at a camp where he remained until the POW liberation over three years later. He never said anything nice or untoward about them, but I knew he was not indifferent. It was as though whatever he was thinking about when related topics came up, was simply beyond the capacity of others to understand and seemingly not worth discussing. I assumed this was because it would probably be meaningless to attempt to express to others what his point of view was with words. Overall, he was a quiet man with a very calm and reasonable disposition, but I also sensed that his apparent composure was very deliberate.. almost vigilant.
View Quote

I just watched it as well.
Cinematically, a beautiful film !
I enjoyed it overall, though the shark mealtime scene - Fucking Awesome !!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#41]
One of my bosses awhile back was an Army tanker and he went on talking about tanks. I always kinda half listened not knowing anything about tanks or tank strategy.

I regret not listening closer and asking questions after watching Fury.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Edge of Tomorrow.  I watched it again yesterday.   Emily Blunt...  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a big fan of the movie Gettysburg.  When it first came out I went to see it on the big screen.  It gains a whole new level of intensity in a movie theater.  The movie was so long it had an intermission and during the intermission the crowd did a lot of talking.  At the end of the movie after Pickett's Charge everyone got up and left the theater without speaking a word,  It had that much of an effect on the crowd.  It would have been irreverent to say anything.  The same feeling I get every time I actually visit the battlefield.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I haven't seen American Sniper yet, but I really liked Fury
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Not a war movie per say but I just watched the Vietnam part of Forest Gump, always like that part of the movie.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Enemy at the Gates had one of the WORST sex scenes in cinematic history

Quoted:
Not a war movie per say but I just watched the Vietnam part of Forest Gump, always like that part of the movie.

My stepdad said that outside of Platoon, it was the most terrifyingly realistic depictions of an ambush in Vietnam
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#47]
The last one I really liked was Act of Valor. American Sniper- meh
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My stepdad said that outside of Platoon, it was the most terrifyingly realistic depictions of an ambush in Vietnam
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I totally believe it!

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
American Sniper. Prior to that, Fury.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#50]
American Sniper followed by Edge of Tomorrow.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top