Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont eat out

Shop in bulk, or at bargain basement places like Sav-A-Lot and buy generics where applicable

Combine multiple goals while driving to maximize your gas

Eat Cheap, Mac and Cheese, Ramen Noodles, Hamburger Helper(off brand)

Cut out vices like Soda or Beer (or buy generic)

Cut down on Utility use

Buy Wolf Ammo

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I met in college, we barely had enough money for rent and beer

So for cheap entertainment, we found:
- Go for a walk
- Go for a bike ride (assuming you have a bike)
- Went to the beach (free beach)
- Played cards and board games
- Watched people (usually made fun of them under our breath)
- Go camping and hiking (just in the woods, parks are too expensive)
- do.... we'll you know  **It helps in the keep warm department too!

Food has pretty much been covered.  But we made friends with people whom worked in the food industries (restaruants, campus dinning, etc.).  If we needed something expensive (like milk), we had connections.

We avoided driving unless absolutely necessary (my wife (girlfriend at the time), didn't even have a car).  We biked everywhere.  We never went to movies, or out to eat.  She worked about 4 part-time jobs, and I worked full-time nights and part-time when possible during the day.  We spent all our money on school, rent (x2 seperate apartments) and drinking!

We were punks.  So on the rare occassion that we needed new clothes, we bought them at thrift stores.  It actually fit our style and our budget.

We were poor!  But we made it through school with a couple degrees each, and NO STUDENT LOANS!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We spent all our money on school, rent (x2 seperate apartments) and drinking!

That was your fianacial problem right there.
You could have gotten one apt. and two beds
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Can your wife dance?  

Just kidding.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a cheap ($200 or less), ugly motorcycle to commute in as soon as weather allows in your area.  The gas savings should pay for it quickly.  If it's an option, cancel the car ins. and just run motorcycle ins. for half the year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
capture cook and eat the local neighborhood pets. when you run out of those check every pound within driving distance and adopt some furry meals.

move your family into cardboard boxes somewhere in town, preferably where there is a lot of foot traffic so you can panhandle.

stop getting haircuts.

get bycycles for mobility.

dont buy deodarants, toothpaste, soap.

dont wash your clothes.

if you smoke, stop.

if you drink anything other than water, stop. stop drinking water if you have to pay for it. get water from public restrooms.

learn 200 ways to cook with government cheese over an open fire.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have your Wife get a part time job. I finished my Degree and was working a full time job with over- time. It was a real bitch, but it can be done. There is a million ways to make some extra bank, it is just a lot of work to do it sometimes when you are also going full time to school. You should not have to starve for the next few years just because your Wife wants to finish her degree. Most people work at least part time while going to school. I wish you both good luck......

+1

My wife worked approx. 30 hrs a week while doing her Master's and Doctoral programs @ UAB. That's in addition to taking care of two small children and a pain-in-the-ass husband.

It's not fun, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I poop at work exclusively.  I need to I'm a TP hog.  Luckily we have really clean restrooms!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
>free load off of friends & family! drop by every weekend for a free meal

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I played guinea pig for the psych college at the UofI for beer money every week. 1-2 hours = $15-$20.

Just add water pancakes, oatmeal and peanut butter and generic multivitamins are cheap. You can live off them.

Brush and floss religiously. Dental bills are outrageous.

I worked a 20hr/wk PT job during school, FT on breaks.

Walk or bike, or take the bus. Cars are expensive. Fuel is expensive. I put < 1000mi/yr on my car when in college.

You can get into crime if that's your thing too. Shaking down the neighbors for "protection" services can be very lucrative, especially if they have young children. Once you get the reputation as the Boss of your neighborhood all the playas will be lining up to pay tribute. You just have to execute a few people gangland style.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You can get into crime if that's your thing too. Shaking down the neighbors for "protection" services can be very lucrative, especially if they have young children. Once you get the reputation as the Boss of your neighborhood all the playas will be lining up to pay tribute. You just have to execute a few people gangland style.

Sure it sounds glamorous at first, but think of all the work involved.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Would she mind if you became a gigolo?

It's a steady job, and you're on your back most of the time.

Downside I suppose is the weird hours.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of you guys are funny as sh*t.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

lol, thanks.  I doubt it will get that bad, we are blesssed enough that our bills are very low (our mortgage is $100/month less than any apartments arounds here).

Social security - what social security?

When my wife and I bought our house, I looked at our mortgage payment (with insurance and taxes built in) and swore a blue streak about having EVER PAID RENT.

I could've had several years of equity built up already, but NO, I rented...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Would she mind if you became a gigolo?

It's a steady job, and you're on your back most of the time.

Downside I suppose is the weird hours.

What kind of lazy gigolo is on his back most of the time?

Must be one of those union gigolos  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I played guinea pig for the psych college at the UofI for beer money every week. 1-2 hours = $15-$20.

Just add water pancakes, oatmeal and peanut butter and generic multivitamins are cheap. You can live off them.

Brush and floss religiously. Dental bills are outrageous.

I worked a 20hr/wk PT job during school, FT on breaks.

Walk or bike, or take the bus. Cars are expensive. Fuel is expensive. I put < 1000mi/yr on my car when in college.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]
you would not believe what a baby sitter makes to watch 2 kids while mom & dad go out to dinner & a movie...

20-40 bucks!

mayhaps your wife could baby sit & study?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top