User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
MODS please shut this down

WTF??

How about you go shine a laser in your eyes for 20 seconds then come back and post the results.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several pairs of Uvex laser goggles / glasses (each for a different wavelength). The only issue is knowing what is being used, for there is not a 'one does it all'.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
DOD COMPLETES ANALYSIS OF SUSPECTED LASING INCIDENT
Summary
The Department of Defense (DoD) recently completed its investigation of the suspected lasing incident of April 4, 1997 involving the Russian merchant vessel M/V Kapitan Man, in Puget Sound near Seattle, Wash. The incident involved the suspected lasing of a Canadian military helicopter -- that is, the illumination of the helicopter by a laser -- by the Russian merchant vessel, resulting in eye injuries to an American naval officer aboard that helicopter. The results of the investigation indicate that the eye injuries to the American officer are consistent with injuries that would be expected from exposure to a low level laser, such as a laser range-finder for example, but that there is no evidence to indicate the source of the laser. Specifically, the investigation could not link the officer's eye injury to a laser on the Kapitan Man or to any other location.

Details
On Friday, April 4, 1997, a United States Navy lieutenant sustained eye injuries that appeared to be consistent with exposure to a low level laser, such as a laser range finder. The injuries apparently were sustained while the lieutenant was aboard a Canadian military helicopter on routine maritime patrol over the Strait of Juan de Fuca north of Puget Sound near Seattle, Wash., conducting surveillance of merchant vessels, including the Russian merchant vessel Kapitan Man, in U.S. territorial waters. The Navy lieutenant was assigned as a liaison officer to the Canadian Maritime Pacific Command.

That night, the lieutenant sought medical attention from a local civilian physician for eye pain. This initial exam indicated corneal abnormalities of an unknown origin. A photograph taken by the lieutenant during the surveillance of the Kapitan Man showed a red light below the port bridge, causing some to suspect a possible laser on board the Russian vessel had illuminated the Canadian helicopter.

www.defenselink.mil/releases/1997/b06261997_bt339-97.html

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have several pairs of Uvex laser goggles / glasses (each for a different wavelength). The only issue is knowing what is being used, for there is not a 'one does it all'.

Where'd you get them?

The green laser reflective coating on mine is starting to flake off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, what the hell...

It's not going to be a problem. Do the math (look up the irradiance required to cause eye injuries, then calculate the irradiance available from whatever lasers you're worried about--don't forget it's watt-sec/sq cm that counts), then consider that any lasers you really need to worry about aren't very common, civilian, gov or otherwise.

a) Your blink response to a visible laser will save you every time. Even the "high power green lasers" available on the internet aren't strong enough to beat this. Especially at any real range. MAYBE (I haven't done the math on this particular case) it could be a problem if you are looking right at one through optics.

b) It's the IR lasers that are a problem. You don't know that you are being hit so there is no blink response. These things are not a common item, even among the tinfoil wearing green laser crowd.

c) Who the hell is going to have one anyways, and if they can hit you in the eye with a laser why not just send some lead downrange instead? Even the gov. doesn't really any to speak of. The few they have are newsworthy, that's all.

You can put the tinfoil away now...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#6]
lazers dont hurt zombies!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
www.essgoggles.com

Get the ones with laser lense protection.  They stop SHTF  zombie IED shrapnel too.

“The story behind my ESS goggles is as follows…
On 07 April 2003, 1430hrs vic. Baghdad (obj. MOE), our vehicle took a direct hit from an overlooked RPG team to our left flank, destroying our TOW missile launcher and my Bradley commander’s hatch. I was hit in my neck, left shoulder and face with shrapnel, but thanks to my ESS goggles, my eyesight is still intact and no shrapnel penetrated my ESS goggle lenses at all. These goggles still have the shrapnel in the lens! I fought through the shrapnel and continued to bring the fight to the enemy. I believe that if the shrapnel would have hit my eyes that would have taken me and my crew out of a serious and historical fight that helped in the fall of the Saddam regime. Thank You Very Much for your wonderful product! I'm a believer in your product, protecting eyes ONE BATTLE AT A TIME.”
SFC Morales, ACO 3rd BN 15th IN

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

a) Your blink response to a visible laser will save you every time. Even the "high power green lasers" available on the internet aren't strong enough to beat this. Especially at any real range. MAYBE (I haven't done the math on this particular case) it could be a problem if you are looking right at one through optics.

Part of the laser safety classification system is loosely based on whether the human blink reflex can operate fast enough to prevent damage.  Normal lasers less than 5 milliwatts in the visible range should be incapable of causing damage before the blink reflex kicks in.  Lasers in the next class, from 5 to 500 milliwatts, are assumed to be able to do some damage before the blink reflex would kick in.  The next class, 500 milliwatts and up, is likely to do severe damage before the blink reflex kicks in.

Currently, there are handheld DPSS laser pointers that put out a green beam at 300-400 milliwatts.  This is enough to pop baloons from a distance with no focusing--and will easily vaporize whatever part of the retina the eye's lens focuses it down to well before blink reflex kicks in.

A 300 milliwatt green DPSS Laser uses about a 1 watt IR laser diode to drive the secondary (green) laser system.  Eliminating the green laser system, and using IR optics to produce a properly collimated IR beam, you could have a 1 watt laser which will not cause a blink reflex, but which will do severe damage to the eyes, and will probably be able to cause heat effects out to a pretty decent range.

The question is, I suppose, whether you'd rather cause permant damage that might not be immediately incapacitaging (in which case you'd use high power IR) or if you want to cause damage and dazzling reaction that will cause immediate incapacitation, in which case high power visible lasers are better.  Someone posted a link some time ago about a new potential police/military non-lethal weapon that was a rapidly scanned or modulated green laser with a dispersed beam.  Bright enough to dazzle, but with power and scan/modulation levels (time averaged) low enough to avoid the likelihood of permanant damage.

b) It's the IR lasers that are a problem. You don't know that you are being hit so there is no blink response. These things are not a common item, even among the tinfoil wearing green laser crowd.

If you buy the right IR optics, any green DPSS laser will become an IR laser with about double the power output.  The re-design is not trivial, but it is possible that someone with the Melles-Griot catalog (which includes loads of good technical information) could do so in a short amount of time.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am not worried so much about the lasers - I am worried about the sharks, whose heads the 'lazors' are attatched to.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#10]
With EMP your ''LASERS'' wont be working anyhow So.....stick to yer guns! Hippies
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been practicing my "blind-monk" kung fu now for over 10 years for such an occurence!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Light Interference Filter.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top