Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
cool pics.thanks for sharing them
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
best place to get a mosin? and is ammo derptastically expensive?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
VERY COOL!

And timely for me, I just Finnished a Suomi build.

Perhaps the very receiver sitting in pieces in my shop is in that stack in the photo, having traveled two wars or more, 60 + years and thousands of miles.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It's amazing that the Finns could take a crude bullet thrower like the Mosin Nagant and turn it into one of the most accurate and refined military rifles of that era.  The M39 I owned was head and shoulders above any other bolt action milsurp I had in my modest collection.  The Russian and other Mosins paled in comparison.  I probably should've kept that one, when I sold all the rest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow! Those are some neat photos!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The day will come when many here will regret having a good Mosin and a good Mauser. Grab that piece of history while you can!
View Quote

Maybe but I doubt it.  Why would I want a good Mosin or Mauser?  I can appreciate what they are and the history but I have no real desire to own one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]

That 4-station pantograph is dead sexy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome photos
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The Finns never made their own receivers.  They always recycled Russian, American, or French receivers.  Everything else they made with the possible exception of bolt bodies.  Lots of those laying around.

One of the things I love about old guns is the quality of work that went into them.  They are often true industrial works of art.  

For many countries, the quality of their military arms was a source of national pride.  

The AK and the AR have moved beyond that.  The AR (I have several and have assembled many more) is the lego project of firearms.  Anyone with any sort of mechanical abilities can build one.  The AK is the epitome of good enough, simple enough, mass production.  The pride is in the design and its success.

But with the exception of the milled-receiver AKs, your stamped-reciever AK is simply a machine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Super cool
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will ask my Finnish friend who is a member here to translate for us.

Well as soon as he sobers up.
View Quote

Iggy....

Link provided in OP, contains over 3000 pics... No time for translation :)
Captioned picture in the OP says: "One of the white guard's gun and machinery shops"
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Iggy....

Captioned picture in the OP says: "One of the white guard's gun and machinery shops"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will ask my Finnish friend who is a member here to translate for us.

Well as soon as he sobers up.

Iggy....

Juha

For some reason ,Finns are liked by ARFCOM.

I think it is because  of your child like minds and ability to consume  vast quantities  of alcohol

Oh yeah , also  something  about guns and you are supposed to be good at killing commies

P.S. -  Are you  coming over this summer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I enjoyed the pics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The contrast between this and a modern CNC shop is astounding. Though we share a profession, we'd all be lost in each others shops.

The way they did things before CNC came along is pretty interesting to me.

The lack of eye-pro, and machinists wearing sweater-vests is giving me a twitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some cool machines in those pics along with the rifles.

The contrast between this and a modern CNC shop is astounding. Though we share a profession, we'd all be lost in each others shops.

The way they did things before CNC came along is pretty interesting to me.

The lack of eye-pro, and machinists wearing sweater-vests is giving me a twitch.

I used to work at places that were still like this, in the 70s and 80s. I recall milling machines and lathes exactly like the ones in the pics. Milwaukee, Greenfields, Bridgeports.... The sad truth is, everybody was deaf as a post from working in these places, and had lung problems from inhaling all the dust, filings and cutting oil. The stuff would permeate every open space of your skin and hair, and it got in your eyes, too. And of course, everybody smoked. A lot drank on the job, too. Injuries all the time. Eyes put out, fingers and hands, feet getting hurt...their backs hurt from standing all day bent over a machine on cold concrete.
When long hair became fashionable, I heard a guy screaming at one end of the factory I was working in. Ambulance came and took him away. Later, the plant supervisor told everybody to wear hairnets if they worked in the shop. He demonstrated why, by showing us a large drill bit with lots of curly black hair and skin wrapped around in it, sealed in Lucite. The guy had got scalped by a drill press.

My late father-in-law was a tool-and-die maker, and died from some of the effects in the first paragraph. There are very good reasons why nobody uses this stuff in factories anymore, and why safety measures were put in place.

Anybody who is nostalgic for those days either never worked in these conditions, or is selective in their memories.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
VERY COOL!

And timely for me, I just Finnished a Suomi build.

Perhaps the very receiver sitting in pieces in my shop is in that stack in the photo, having traveled two wars or more, 60 + years and thousands of miles.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/sureshot31/Suomi%20Project/photo%2039_zpspv3czw3k.jpg
View Quote

You didn't make it from a garden spade did you?  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Old school iron turning out parts. No safety glasses, or ear plugs. No yellow paint lines on the floor. Everybody is wearing dress clothes or coveralls. It's good to see pictures of when real shit got done with out computers, or stupid safety notices plastered on every surface.  Gotta love it.
View Quote

Yeah, because PPE is such a burden to prevent missing eyesight and hearing loss
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the zeroing platform they have there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#20]
SE Wisconsin checking in and loving the MILWUAKEE machinery in use!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Old school iron turning out parts. No safety glasses, or ear plugs. No yellow paint lines on the floor....
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Meh, I like going home with my eyeballs and appendages intact. Safety glasses have saved my vision twice. Long sleeves do NOT belong in a machine shop, especially one with manual machines working very close to spindles, for very obvious reasons. Also, with those damn cursed computers, we could crank out 5 times their production with a crew half the size and half the skill, and still make more accurate products, at a fraction of the cost.

I admire their trade, and think it is becoming a lost art, but I still prefer how we do it today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old school iron turning out parts. No safety glasses, or ear plugs. No yellow paint lines on the floor. Everybody is wearing dress clothes or coveralls. It's good to see pictures of when real shit got done with out computers, or stupid safety notices plastered on every surface.  Gotta love it.

Meh, I like going home with my eyeballs and appendages intact. Safety glasses have saved my vision twice. Long sleeves do NOT belong in a machine shop, especially one with manual machines working very close to spindles, for very obvious reasons. Also, with those damn cursed computers, we could crank out 5 times their production with a crew half the size and half the skill, and still make more accurate products, at a fraction of the cost.

I admire their trade, and think it is becoming a lost art, but I still prefer how we do it today.

I dont.. the new stuff is lifeless. the old school stuff has soul.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks not unlike Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Kearney and Trecker went out of business in the mid -90's.  
America which led the world in machine tool production until the 80's, has very little machine tool manufacturers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag for a bigger screen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome thank you for sharing
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta give credit to those folks.  Many of them knew how to work safely, so some of the precautions we have today were already known and just common sense to them.

However, many of the safety precautions we have today are also the result of some pretty bad accidents in industry.  I think safety glasses, ear pro and steel toes are something we all take for granted, but really help improve our general safety.  Eyes, ears, and toes are hard to replace.   Add to that the better guarding, etc. meaning fewer mangled appendages, etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maybe but I doubt it.  Why would I want a good Mosin or Mauser?  I can appreciate what they are and the history but I have no real desire to own one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The day will come when many here will regret having a good Mosin and a good Mauser. Grab that piece of history while you can!

Because this:

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone know how the Polish made Mosin Nagants were in terms of quality? I have one made in 1953 that is mint and 100% perfect condition. It seems a lot nice made then any of the Russian ones I have seen over the years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
On American machinery....interesting.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
On American machinery....interesting.

View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised to find American made machine tools in the plants of every combatant in WWII.  We were the world leader at the time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Does anyone know how the Polish made Mosin Nagants were in terms of quality? I have one made in 1953 that is mint and 100% perfect condition. It seems a lot nice made then any of the Russian ones I have seen over the years.
View Quote

Quite good. The Poles know how to make good arms.

Thanks for starting the thread, OP. Those are some great pics. I have two Finn m/39s, a m/1891, and a Finn capture M1891-30. I also have a TNW Suomi for which I'm waiting on a stamp so I can SBR it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool seeing where my VKT M39 aas born.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kearney and Trecker went out of business in the mid -90's.  
America which led the world in machine tool production until the 80's, has very little machine tool manufacturers.
View Quote

When I worked for the Foxboro Company and later for Greenfield Tap & Die, I was told in both places that machine tooling was a "mature industry", i.e, they'd run out of ideas and interest in how to develop new products. The Japs showed them to be wrong. Dead wrong. Of course, that was twenty to almost forty years ago. I have no idea what's going on in the industry now.

But I did hear Foxboro just underwent yet another reorganization under another name and owner, and GTD is around, but barely. A plant that used to employ hundreds, if not thousands, now employs maybe 10 or 15 people running CNC machines, producing the same, if not more, amount of taps and dies.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Great.....now I want a Fin.

I've already managed to get ahold of several M91/30s and an M44 as well as a Polish Carbine.  But no Fin.

My Russian Mosins

BTW, I prefer my rifle over the carbine. If you've fired both, you know why.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I learned on manual machines with no electronics. When I took my current job all the machines had Accurite DROs, they bought me two CNC mills and sent me to the factory schools to learn how to use them. Now I come home to my old manual machines and wish I was back at work.
View Quote
Same here hell it looks like the machines I learned the basics on the first couple quarters I was in Machine Tool Technology at community college  

Had a bunch of little WWII era lathes , they were so much smoother and easier to run than the larger more modern machines for the little projects they had us doing

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top