User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly!
Get a good set of "long johns or equiv" you will sleep great!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 degrees isn't that cold, but it is a little cold.

IF you have the money I would suggest getting a -20 degree synthetic bag. You can probably get a decent one for $275 but I army it's been awhile since I've bought a new one. A -20 will keep you comfortable. A 32 degree bag will NOT. Understand that the way they rate sleeping bags. Whatever the bag is rated for, that is the minimum temp that an average person can survive through the night and not die of hypothermia. You would be up all night shivering your balls off in 32 degrees with your 32 degree bag. Not recommended to go lower.

And don't listen to that myth that sleeping without long johns is better than with. That a load of crap. Get a pair of nice "expedition weight" Merino wool (poor bunnies ) uppers and lowers.

Put the socks you wore for the day in your bag when you sleep and they will dry out. Put all your water in the bag (keep in container) otherwise it may freeze. Also any lighters you have must go in the bag as well... resist the urge to play with them before you sleep.

Ground pad is very important.

Exactly!

Don't listen to him. He is from Arizona.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been a long time since I hunted in cold weather, So........

Do you still have to worry about bringing a cold rifle into a warmer area and the scope fogging up when you go back out?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Im in wichita falls and have been sleeping in my car for the last 10 weeks. Lately the condensation has been freezing in the inside of my vehicle so its below 32 though probably not in the low 20s. With that said i sleep in a 30 degree stuffed in a 40 degree and stay toasty except for my face outside the bag.

Edit. The 30 degree bag was 15 bucks reg price at academy, the 40 degree was 9 bucks reg price at academy
View Quote

You really are roughing it. Sleeping in a car sucks! Good luck with whatever you're up against.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

IF you have the money I would suggest getting a -20 degree synthetic bag. You can probably get a decent one for $275 but I army it's been awhile since I've bought a new one. A -20 will keep you comfortable. A 32 degree bag will NOT. Understand that the way they rate sleeping bags. Whatever the bag is rated for, that is the minimum temp that an average person can survive through the night and not die of hypothermia. You would be up all night shivering your balls off in 32 degrees with your 32 degree bag. Not recommended to go lower.

And don't listen to that myth that sleeping without long johns is better than with. That a load of crap. Get a pair of nice "expedition weight" Merino wool (poor bunnies ) uppers and lowers.

Put the socks you wore for the day in your bag when you sleep and they will dry out. Put all your water in the bag (keep in container) otherwise it may freeze. Also any lighters you have must go in the bag as well... resist the urge to play with them before you sleep.

View Quote

Don't do this.
All you will accomplish is to introduce moisture to the insulation in the bag. Hang your socks up to dry and put on a dry pair the next morning. You should take two pairs of socks for every day and change them when they get wet or sweaty.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I've primitive winter camped a lot.

first- go get you a GI issue artic bag at a Surplus Store. if you can't do that get you a good fleece blanket to line the bag with on the inside. if you need to, get some of the large pop warmers which are like the pocket and shoe warmers - go ahead and get shoe warmers too. put them inside the bed- but if you start to get hot- get them out, you don't want to sweat.

1- good head covering is mandatory.
2- poly pro fleece is the way to go for underwear.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used one of those Army surplus bags in the teens in the Davis mountains. Morning neared and the temp rose into the 20s. I about died from over heating, those bags are that good.
View Quote

we have 3 of them for winter camping. the GI issue artic bags are top notch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Fwiw, the mil surp extreme cold sleeping bag is the shit. I sleep numerous nights in a flimsy tent every october in northern Maine during prime grouse hunting season. Low 20s sometimes, sure. You can sleep naked in that bag comfortably, no problem.

That said, I'd probably barely survive a week or two in the great state of Texas. I'm kind of acclimated to this climate.

Eta, more serious advice, stay hydrated. Serious, dehydration will keep you feeling awful cold.

Eta x2-
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't do this.

All you will accomplish is to introduce moisture to the insulation in the bag. Hang your socks up to dry and put on a dry pair the next morning. You should take two pairs of socks for every day and change them when they get wet or sweaty.
View Quote

Keep your socks on. They will dry out and magically be smell free by morning. I have no idea how this happens but it works.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay dry, wear wool, buy it in a size loose enough to allow free movement but close enough to keep you warm.

Stay dry, sleep up off the ground if possible.

Also, stay dry.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You really are roughing it. Sleeping in a car sucks! Good luck with whatever you're up against.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im in wichita falls and have been sleeping in my car for the last 10 weeks. Lately the condensation has been freezing in the inside of my vehicle so its below 32 though probably not in the low 20s. With that said i sleep in a 30 degree stuffed in a 40 degree and stay toasty except for my face outside the bag.

Edit. The 30 degree bag was 15 bucks reg price at academy, the 40 degree was 9 bucks reg price at academy

I've really enjoyed it. Prior to this it was 4 months in florida june july and august sucked, 84 degree nights with 90% humidity. Ugh
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One other thing worth mentioning is to open the bag up when you get out of it in the morning and let it air out during the day.
View Quote

Take your bag out of the stuff sack as soon as possible to give it time to expand back out....The LOFT of the bag is what makes it warm......
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't do this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do this.

Dude. Damp or wet clothing does not dry out below 32 degrees. It freezes.

Putting old socks in your bag is a necessity during winter hiking/camping.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
In a word: layers.

Get a 0 degree rated bag with a fleece liner (something breathable, synthetic fleece, etc).

Use a mattress pad to keep yourself from direct contact with the ground.

Thermal underwear, two pair, one for daytime, one for nighttime in the sack.

Good hunting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Bring twice as many layers of clothes as you think you will need. Sleeping pad is a must, to insulate from the ground. Cotton kills.

As long as you are properly dressed and equipped and have a sleeping bag rated for the temperatures, there is no reason you should be uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A sleeping pad under the bag will help a lot as will a sleeping hat.

You will be warmer if you DON'T sleep in your long johns.

In Alaska I would put my poncho liner inside my bag for extra warmth.

View Quote

How so?  

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
All that for a hog? No thanks. I just gut shoot them any way. If it's your first time I can understand being excited, I hope you have fun....and gut shoot'm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've really enjoyed it. Prior to this it was 4 months in florida june july and august sucked, 84 degree nights with 90% humidity. Ugh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha damn. You need to switch your seasons around!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep your body off the dirt. Most bags will be just fine with a foam pad underneath.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I have to camp for work I lay out pads in the back of my Outback.  It's pretty much the best tent there is.  Has heat, AC, water proof, wind proof, keeps the bugs and mice out, etc.  I can stretch out and get a decent nights sleep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It's not that bad. At that temperature, you need to be more concerned with potential problems such as getting wet. Wear good gortex boots and have plenty of extra socks and pants in case they don't work. Staying warm is not too bad.

I get cold extremely easily. For a normal person, top tier thermal underwear combined with wind/rain proof outer wear will keep you nice and toasty in 20 degrees. Also note that how fast you move has a big impact on your temperature. If you move fast you may get really hot, while if you move slow you may get really cold. This is the most frustrating thing about cold weather hunting for me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Nobodies said the worst thing about primitive camping in the cold............

Digging a cat hole and sticking your bare ass out in the cold, when Ya have to take a crap.........

Don't freeze your balls off...............
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Poly pros, a good sleep pad and the MMS sleep bag should work well. I have camped out in the winter here with little to no problem this way, even under a poncho tent in dec-feb. the only time I actually got cold in the sleep bag was -16 one morning. My toes got a bit cold.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not that bad. At that temperature, you need to be more concerned with potential problems such as getting wet. Wear good gortex boots and have plenty of extra socks and pants in case they don't work. Staying warm is not too bad.

I get cold extremely easily. For a normal person, top tier thermal underwear combined with wind/rain proof outer wear will keep you nice and toasty in 20 degrees. Also note that how fast you move has a big impact on your temperature. If you move fast you may get really hot, while if you move slow you may get really cold. This is the most frustrating thing about cold weather hunting for me.

View Quote

In cold weather like that, the first sign of starting to sweat, start bleeding the heat off.......

Open the top of your jacket or take a layer off, you don't want to get your inner layers wet..
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
propane heater, sleep in the truck with the heater going or trap hogs in the winter and wait till decent weather to hunt them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do this.

Dude. No offense, but you're very wrong. Yes, your damp clothes will dry below freezing. And do not bring your moist clothes into your sleeping bag! Hang them up!

Giant +1 to the DRY socks though. Old socks in your sleep bag? No no no no no gif.
Again, no offense, but you're dispensing poor advice concerning real cold, overnight camping.

I agree with your post about the sleeping bag rating.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

These pictures are also from Arizona.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]
So I am a new Texan from Michigan and have camped in -10 degree weather.   The trick is making DAMN SURE that you will be warm enough at night.  This means good tents and mummy bags.  As long as you are warm at night the next day will be magnificent.   Based on my 2 years in dallas the days will be warm enough to go in a damn sweater most of the time, but the nights will get down there.  As long as you have a good sleeping bag and tent there are no worries.  A cup of coffee will get you right going all day.  Making a fire early is the best way to start the day.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#30]

If a campsite is going to have 24hr. power just bring an electric blanket to line your bag..

Also a Mad Bomber hat is great. Get the real fur.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes. I spent a lot of time sleeping in a tent during the winter in Alaska courtesy of Uncle Sam. I thought it was a load of horseshit too until I tried it. Just underwear and a t-shirt.

I also figured out that if you put your clothes you are going to wear the next day in the bag with you they will be warm the next morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A sleeping pad under the bag will help a lot as will a sleeping hat.
You will be warmer if you DON'T sleep in your long johns.

In Alaska I would put my poncho liner inside my bag for extra warmth.

Seriously?

Yes. I spent a lot of time sleeping in a tent during the winter in Alaska courtesy of Uncle Sam. I thought it was a load of horseshit too until I tried it. Just underwear and a t-shirt.

I also figured out that if you put your clothes you are going to wear the next day in the bag with you they will be warm the next morning.

I think that depends on the bag design. I know this is true with the mil bags. I also know that it is not true for my standard rectangular coleman bag. Way warmer wearing long Johns in that.

Another trick is to buy the hand Warner's, and use them to heat up the bag before you get into it. I know if I get into my bag and my feet get cold, it takes a long time to warm back up, or sometimes not at all. Hand Warner's fix this. And the boot Warner's in the morning before putting on the boos.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Wear a good hat and gloves to sleep...makes a big difference.
20 degrees is no big deal if you dress in quality layers and stay off the ground.
Use a mat under your bag, be sure to stay dry, keep the wind off you, and you should be just fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I've only seen one other person mention this...

Put your clean clothes for the next day in your bag when you go to bed. That way your clothes will be warm in the morning when you go to get dressed.

And as others have said, use a mummy bag and good sleeping pad. A backpacking tent would be ideal. Don't wear wet clothes to bed. If possible, reserve a set of clothes just for sleeping and keep them dry.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Did it once and condensation was a bitch.  The walls of the tent were soaked and dripping.  It was way more comfortable outside by the fire.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dude. No offense, but you're very wrong. Yes, your damp clothes will dry below freezing. And do not bring your moist clothes into your sleeping bag! Hang them up!

Giant +1 to the DRY socks though. Old socks in your sleep bag? No no no no no gif.
Again, no offense, but you're dispensing poor advice concerning real cold, overnight camping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do this.

Okay well I guess we will have to disagree. I have spent a lot of time winter hiking and camping in the White Mountains and this has always worked for me like a charm. Most of the time I don't even use a tent.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've only seen one other person mention this...

Put your clean clothes for the next day in your bag when you go to bed. That way your clothes will be warm in the morning when you go to get dressed.

View Quote

This.

I've even put my boots in my bag.  Ice cold leather is a BITCH in the morning.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I think that depends on the bag design. I know this is true with the mil bags. I also know that it is not true for my standard rectangular coleman bag. Way warmer wearing long Johns in that.

View Quote

I would like to know the physics of this, or if it's just a tale.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#38]
you must not have seen empire strikes back...cut open one of the giant wild boars and sleep inside it..
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Wear a good hat and gloves to sleep...makes a big difference.

View Quote

Balaclava. Another reason they are better and more versatile than just a hoodie.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe has something to do with moisture?

Screw it, I wear long johns and wool socks.  If nothing else, it is warmer when you get up.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Keep water bottles in your bag or they'll freeze.

Don't leave your boots outside.

A cheap sleeping bag with a 20deg rating means high probability of survival at that temperature.

A good sleeping bag will be comfortable a few degrees below the rating.

Throw a a pair of these in your bag when you go to sleep:

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Okay well I guess we will have to disagree. I have spent a lot of time winter hiking and camping in the White Mountains and this has always worked for me like a charm. Most of the time I don't even use a tent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do this.

No problem.

Do what makes you happy. It's fun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A cheap sleeping bag with a 20deg rating means high probability of survival at that temperature.

http://chadperson.com/recess/images/handWarmers.jpg
View Quote

Put those suckers down at the foot end of the bag.  Your feet are what gets COLD.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suck at science, and honestly don't know how it works, but have learned the hard way. Or at least I think I have.

I just know that I froze my ass off wearing a bunch of clothes in my mil bag the first time I used it at at 32 degrees. Then I was told to just wear shorts and a t shirt and felt nice and toasty the next time (and it was much colder). The mil bags are two separate mummy bags with a Gortex shell.

The reverse experiment was true with my rectangular coleman bag. I started off with minimal clothing (because I had learned my lesson ) and froze my arse off. the next night I was way more comfortable with long johns. This bag is a single layer, and a cloth design. Way different type of bag.

Someone else mentioned it, but it is worth repeating that hydration is key. People don't want to drink water in the cold.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
ok here's something that hasn't been mentioned.

your tent

if you can, position is so that a short side is facing the wind, and then cover the bottom of the tent's fly with *whatever* (pine straw, snow, etc) to minimize the breeze coming into the tent.

BUT... be sure you rig your fly correctly so that condensation is not conducted to the inside of the tent. Because there WILL be a lot of condensation.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://chadperson.com/recess/images/handWarmers.jpg
View Quote

And put some in your boots before you put them on in the AM.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Cold weather camping is about fucking Mother Nature in the ass

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Its easy, take a 3-4 season tent, get a 20 degree sleeping bag. Build a big fire, take 2-3 blankets. Dress in layers. Theres no reason camping at 20 can't function nearly the same as camping at 50.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#49]
It's funny that most of the posts here are from southern guys. If it ain't 20 below, put your tampon in, kick your bag out and climb in, and get up in the morning and hunt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#50]
sleep naked in your sleeping bag for better heat transfer of your body heat. Wear clothing in loose layers. Your enemy is sweat, so try not to overdress and it's good to have cloths that have zippers to open them up as you get warm. Don't wear the same cloths every day, you want to have clean and new cloths for each day or so.

Stay hydrated. You can become dehydrated faster in cold weather than in hot weather.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top