Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This may be an epic thread.

Glad you're not too badly hurt, hope you are made well
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
With the way the piece is broken out next to and ahead of the chamber, it looks like an out of battery ignition from the pictures.

Glad your OK!! Good luck on getting a replacement or reimbursement.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you have some sort of special gun insurance your home owners or renters insurance will have an inside limit for guns. They only cover damage due to covered loss (theft, fire, wind hail.....) not shooting. There is most likely also a deductible to consider.

As a SPP (sheduled personal property) rider you can insure higher limits with no deductible.....still no coverage for your misfortune.

Glad yo are not to badly hurt.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't help you out with firearm replacement through USAA, but I was very happy with them when I wrecked my motorcycle.

Hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I shitcanned my USAA after extremely poor customer service in dealing with an auto claim.

That is very surprising, they have always been top notch
I hope you shared your concerns with someone up the food chain
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
why do you have red toenails? ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
And who said the Glock carbine was a myth?
hope you heal up quick and get back to shooting.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Not naming ammo and load puts everyone else shooting that load in jeopardy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The only damage I received.  My medic wife (that's her leg, assholes) .....

The first thing I thought when I saw that pic was 'WTF?'  Ha ha ha!

In all seriousness, I'm glad you're ok and that was the only damage you took.  I too have a USAA insurance policy covering my guns (mostly for my M1s) and am most interested in how this turns out.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless you have some sort of special gun insurance your home owners or renters insurance will have an inside limit for guns. They only cover damage due to covered loss (theft, fire, wind hail.....) not shooting. There is most likely also a deductible to consider.

As a SPP (sheduled personal property) rider you can insure higher limits with no deductible.....still no coverage for your misfortune.

Glad yo are not to badly hurt.

Right, this is how I understood it.

I think you will be better off pursuing the ammo manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I am surprised they will insure firearms, considering their policy against not letting employees have firearms in their cars at work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this a specific policy you have with USAA regarding firearms, or they covered under your existing homeowners policy?  I have a USAA homeowners policy that covers my firearms up to a certain limit, and I'm wondering if there is a specific firearms policy or rider I should have...

Thanks.

Typically homeowners policies will cover 1500-2500.  1500 was the norm in Ohio when I was shopping for homeowners insurance.  I got lucky and got 2500, but I dont use it.

Actually, my homeowners insurance wouldnt cover damage like this, only theft / damage in the house.  Even if it did, you dont want to make a claim on your homeowners insurance for an AR, it will cost you more in the long run.

I got a seperate policy for my firearms (now that I'm into Title II) and they cover the guns anywhere.  Its pretty cheap and covers a boatload, only downside is that I have to list my serial #'s.  Since I buy guns fairly often, I use the coverage from my homeowners policy to protect them till next year when I specifically list them on my seperate policy.

My agent (who carries) even said "say you are in a boat and you lean over and drop your glock in the lake, you will be reimbursed".  I thought it was pretty damn funny and I said "tragic boating accident huh?".  He sat there like , he totally didnt get it.

Sounds like a great policy!

Might I ask who you got it through. I'm going to have to get a policy pretty soon here.

Cincinatti Insurance or something like that, my agent set it up for me.

Quoted:
Not naming ammo and load puts everyone else shooting that load in jeopardy.

No doubt, you should list manufacturer and lot # etc
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just going to make an unrelated comment.

That's a nice cutaway there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't make a claim on my insurance unless it was for a significant amount. They have a policy of no more than like three claims in five years or they will drop me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Subscribed for Ammo Manufacturer
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]
yeesh, glad you're not more seriously damaged!

tag to see what ammo it was...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: im going to throw black hills out there as a guess.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Lets see more of the wifes feet...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thing you hid the S/N. I was about to report my blown up AR stolen.

hehe
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I would say let USAA replace the upper, have the ACOG checked ans be done with it.

This looks like a VERY thin web in the case.  Case failure.

Out of battery does not happen in the AR15.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You paint your toenails???

there purdy huh?

OP glad all is well, as it can be...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag

<---Also has USAA
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Why are you even considering submitting a claim to your insurance?   Shouldn't the ammo manufacturer be paying for everything?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am surprised they will insure firearms, considering their policy against not letting employees have firearms in their cars at work.

What?  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

yup, sad huh?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#29]
OST
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:52:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Lets see more of the wifes feet...

+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Update:  

The ammo company has been very, very good to deal with, and we should have something concrete worked out with them on Monday.  They are going to examine the remaining ammo from the lot.  I fully believe that it was just a bad case.  The ammo WAS factory re-manufactured stuff, but it used only once fire Lake City brass, which is why I believe it was simply a bad case head.

As for USAA, that has been something all together different.  

I turned in the claim to them Tuesday morning around 0900 CDT.  I was informed that I would be contacted no later than Wednesday PM.  I finally had to call the assigned insurance adjuster at 1715 Thursday to get any thing going.  To be full honest, she was very nice and very easy to deal with, stating that she saw no reason why they wouldn't be able to get a check out to me for the full retail value of the rifle by next week.  However, I would have to send her some pictures of the rifle to prove it was indeed damaged.  No problem, I have those readily available.  She says she will email me to my USAA account to get me a route for the pics.  She would have these looked at and call me no later than 1300 CDT so that we can hash everything out before I head out to work.  Ok, everything sounds good so far.

Well, when I finally read the email that night, the entire exchange and mood changes.  Now they are very unsure as to the validity of the claim as the policy says that it will not cover, "guns:  explosion, rusting, fouling, marring, or scratching."  I attach the pics and explain to her that this was not an explosion in my or anyone who saw it happen's opinion, rather a failure of the case head and the resulting damage from the redirected pressure.  Semantics, perhaps, but everyone I've talked to specifically said that it wasn 't an "explosion."

I wait all day today for her call.  1300 rolls around, 1530, 1700.  I check my email.  I have a message saying that I have an email waiting on my USAA account.  This is at 1715.  She left for the day at 1730 CDT for the weekend.  Call the wife, have her read the message to me.  Basically, they are reviewing the file, and will possibly be able to tell me something next week sometime.  

So yea, I'm probably going to be searching for a new policy some where else next week.  The unreturned phone calls, the no calls, the basic blow off's IMHO, are all extremely unprofessional and the heighth of bad CS.  I am pretty fracking pissed off at the company right now.  What exactly does this policy cover if it doesn't cover all the above mentioned stuff?  WTF is left to cover?  If it's a fire and theft policy, say so, don't say, "Oh yea, we'll have a check out to you next week!" Then turn around and blow me off.

I'll keep everyone up to date on what happens next week.  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#32]
BTT for morning crew
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I am confused. Why would a home owner insurance policy cover a gun that KABOOMed? I thought a home owner gun insurance policy covers theft, fire, or damage/loss from acts of God.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a valuable personal property policy worth about $10,500 separate from my home owners that covers just my fire arms.  I was told when I purchased the policy this sort of thing was covered.

If you read the thread, you will see that normal HO insurance only covers $2500 or so for firearms.  My f-class stick is double that alone, and this AR was damned close.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am confused. Why would an home owner insurance policy cover a gun that KABOOMed? I thought a home owner gun insurance policy covers theft or damage/loss from acts of God.

I have USAA homeowner's, and they specifically used this as a selling point to try to get me to upgrade.  "If you have a firearm damaged by anything, we'll send you a check for the replacement cost" - or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#37]
So who is going to pay?

Ammo Manufacturer or USAA???

I think it should be Ammo Manufacturer.

The "explosion" exemption would cover your situation...for all practical purposes, your gun exploded....it wasn't stolen or damaged in a fire or some natural disaster.

So let me guess....it was Black Hills who made the ammo?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Update:  

The ammo company has been very, very good to deal with, and we should have something concrete worked out with them on Monday.  They are going to examine the remaining ammo from the lot.  I fully believe that it was just a bad case.  The ammo WAS factory re-manufactured stuff, but it used only once fire Lake City brass, which is why I believe it was simply a bad case head.

As for USAA, that has been something all together different.  

I turned in the claim to them Tuesday morning around 0900 CDT.  I was informed that I would be contacted no later than Wednesday PM.  I finally had to call the assigned insurance adjuster at 1715 Thursday to get any thing going.  To be full honest, she was very nice and very easy to deal with, stating that she saw no reason why they wouldn't be able to get a check out to me for the full retail value of the rifle by next week.  However, I would have to send her some pictures of the rifle to prove it was indeed damaged.  No problem, I have those readily available.  She says she will email me to my USAA account to get me a route for the pics.  She would have these looked at and call me no later than 1300 CDT so that we can hash everything out before I head out to work.  Ok, everything sounds good so far.

Well, when I finally read the email that night, the entire exchange and mood changes.  Now they are very unsure as to the validity of the claim as the policy says that it will not cover, "guns:  explosion, rusting, fouling, marring, or scratching."  I attach the pics and explain to her that this was not an explosion in my or anyone who saw it happen's opinion, rather a failure of the case head and the resulting damage from the redirected pressure.  Semantics, perhaps, but everyone I've talked to specifically said that it wasn 't an "explosion."

I wait all day today for her call.  1300 rolls around, 1530, 1700.  I check my email.  I have a message saying that I have an email waiting on my USAA account.  This is at 1715.  She left for the day at 1730 CDT for the weekend.  Call the wife, have her read the message to me.  Basically, they are reviewing the file, and will possibly be able to tell me something next week sometime.  

So yea, I'm probably going to be searching for a new policy some where else next week.  The unreturned phone calls, the no calls, the basic blow off's IMHO, are all extremely unprofessional and the heighth of bad CS.  I am pretty fracking pissed off at the company right now.  What exactly does this policy cover if it doesn't cover all the above mentioned stuff?  WTF is left to cover?  If it's a fire and theft policy, say so, don't say, "Oh yea, we'll have a check out to you next week!" Then turn around and blow me off.

I'll keep everyone up to date on what happens next week.  Wish me luck.

I have the same policy with USAA.  They have been going downhill in customer service and claims.   Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow, I hope everything works out for you man.  You may want to take a look at THIS thread I started a few months back.  It may help you in your search a little.  Good luck, and please keep us posted.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#40]
There are many of us here that have USAA seperate personal property policies to cover
our firearms.

Their handling of your claim so far is very disappointing.

Please keep us posted.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Ok, to the several posters that have asked about who is paying.  The ammo company is definately going to make it right by getting me in a rifle no later than mid-week.  They have been very forth coming and a joy to work with.  It was not Black Hills.

I am hoping USAA will pay.  I have an insurance policy I pay for that I was told covered this sort of thing.  The fact that the ammo company is doing something doesn't, and shouldn't, concern USAA.  I pay them to cover this,  and they are trying to weasel out of it.  If they don't pay up, I'll take my house, 2 cars, firearms, and my wife's jewelry coverage somewhere else, and I hope you all think about doing the same.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#42]
OST for outcome
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Two things.

I had a claim on my USAA renters insurance for a stolen USP 9 a few years ago.  What they mean by "replacement value" is what they think I could find a used USP for.  I ended up getting 450 or so, plus 100 for the night sites and another 150 for the UTL.

I wasn't particulary happy, as I had been led to believe I would get enough money to go buy a new one.

The second thing is, why is the insurance company being involved at all?  My first call would have been to whoever made the ammo, and if it was determined to be the ammo I'd expect them to make it right.

Edit:

I saw you said a couple post up that the ammo company was gonna make it right.  If the ammo company is going to pay, what do you want USAA to do?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Edit:

I saw you said a couple post up that the ammo company was gonna make it right.  If the ammo company is going to pay, what do you want USAA to do?

I am hoping USAA will pay. I have an insurance policy I pay for that I was told covered this sort of thing. The fact that the ammo company is doing something doesn't, and shouldn't, concern USAA. I pay them to cover this, and they are trying to weasel out of it. If they don't pay up, I'll take my house, 2 cars, firearms, and my wife's jewelry coverage somewhere else, and I hope you all think about doing the same.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Edit:

I am hoping USAA will pay. I have an insurance policy I pay for that I was told covered this sort of thing. The fact that the ammo company is doing something doesn't, and shouldn't, concern USAA. I pay them to cover this, and they are trying to weasel out of it. If they don't pay up, I'll take my house, 2 cars, firearms, and my wife's jewelry coverage somewhere else, and I hope you all think about doing the same.

So are you gonna get paid twice, or you don't want the ammo manufacturere to pay anything?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Getting two payouts for the same incident?

Also, if you can find insurance for firearms that does indeed specifically cover for KBs, let us know. Because as far as I know, NONE of them do. And it seems that by USAA's "explosion" exemption, it doesn't either.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Also, if you can find insurance for firearms that does indeed specifically cover for KBs, let us know. Because as far as I know, NONE of them do. And it seems that by USAA's "explosion" exemption, it doesn't either.

I disagree.  If I have 14 $250,000 policy's on my frigging gerbil, I'd want them all paid out if the imaginary little bastard was eaten by a hawk or ran over by the garbage company.  Most people, in my experience, expect the ammo company to pay up.  I don't, so I purchased coverage I was specifically told when I was sold it would cover this.  I'm paying for the policy; I want the policy paid out.  It's great and all that the ammo company is being so good in this situation, but what if they weren't?  Now that USAA is trying to back out of coverage, "explosion" exemption or not, I would be screwed.  Sure, there would be other recourses, but even then, if I took the ammo company to court, I'd still want USAA to pay up.

ETA:  I'm completely wrong on this and should be ignored in this post.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#48]
HOLY SHITE!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1

No shit.

The OP is trying to get paid twice by his own admission. Additionally, he pointed out that the policy exempts "explosions". His gun, for all practical pruposes, exploded. USAA is not liable.  

Insurance is not the lottery... it is thier to cover a loss. In this case, the loss is being covered by the ammo manufacturer.

This is starting to become like the Wal Mart pressure washer thread
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Subrogation.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top