Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get bigger than 1/2" drive. We have 1" drive for the farm. I've broke sockets and flex heads on 1/2". You could argue that those needed the acetylene wrench though.
Get a whip line to go directly into the impact wrench and have the quick connect attach to the whip line. Don't connect your quick detach directly to the wrench.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Who do you think makes snap on impacts?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ingersoll Rand.  Much better than Snap On...Snap On doesn't even make their own impacts or torque wrenches.
View Quote

I don't know about impacts,  but Snap-On does make it's own Torque wrenches. As well as CDI'S.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want to get my pops an impact wrench for xmas, but I'm not up to date on what's currently out there. I want it to run off air, not cordless. Any go to brands or models that you guys recommend? I've got a pretty flexible budget for purchasing the gift, but i'd prefer not to go too pricey. School me.
View Quote

Any of the Harbor Freight Earthquake models are awesome for the money. They put out as much torque as many of the Snap-On's and other top brands...for a fraction of the cost.

HF Impacts
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Snap-on makes all their own stuff The guy on their truck told me so. Their fanboys say the same thing.

I mean... who hasn't seen the large Snap-on factory that makes all of their tools.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are the specs on my old man's compressor. I'm leaning towards the harbor freight earthquake XT 1/2 inch drive.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snap-on makes all their own stuff The guy on their truck told me so. Their fanboys say the same thing.

I mean... who hasn't seen the large Snap-on factory that makes all of their tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EcBHwgvKE

I am not saying the tools are not manufactured. I am just saying Snap-on doesn't have their own factory for all their tools

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Ingersoll Rand is the gold standard.  But the Earthquake line pretty damn good for the money.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this one?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 20 year old IR 244 that's been beat to death (stopped wrenching professionally abou 8 years ago still use it at home though) and I've done nothing to it but put oil in it...

IR for impacts > everything including Snap-On.

Now air ratchets Snap-On > everything else.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Fpni, ir is the shit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Generally speaking...

~02 older - Precision Instruments
~02 newer CDI 

it depends which specific one you have as SO has many like digi, dial, click, drive size etc. Snap On makes the head but the internals/body are outsourced.

Ive read tons of BS here about Snap On tools, even when Ive proven it flat wrong, so beware with some of the info spewed here. It rivals "gun show" BS at some times.

ETA: I think Sand_Man was referring to IR making SO impacts, not torque wrenches. He just worded it kinda funny. But case in point- SO impacts are absolutely NOT made by IR. Thats BS. Again. But IR is a quality product none the less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?  I have 2 Snap On torque wrenches...so IR makes them also?  If not, who?

Generally speaking...

~02 older - Precision Instruments
~02 newer CDI 

it depends which specific one you have as SO has many like digi, dial, click, drive size etc. Snap On makes the head but the internals/body are outsourced.

Ive read tons of BS here about Snap On tools, even when Ive proven it flat wrong, so beware with some of the info spewed here. It rivals "gun show" BS at some times.

ETA: I think Sand_Man was referring to IR making SO impacts, not torque wrenches. He just worded it kinda funny. But case in point- SO impacts are absolutely NOT made by IR. Thats BS. Again. But IR is a quality product none the less.

Correct.  Funny watching people bid over $300 for a Snap On torque wrench when they could buy the exact same wrench from Precision Instruments for half the price. Not a single thing different except the red vs blue color inserts.  Precision Instruments made torque wrenches for Snap On for over 20 years.  Now CDI makes them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]

My compressor is only a 20-gallon with less output but it ran my 1/2" HF Earthquake just fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Not going cordless? Crazy! Lol cordless has surpassed air and you dont want to even consider cordless?

IF i was you i would go cordless- dewalts new impact is awesome AND you can use the same battery on Outdoor Power equipment- their 20v blower or trimmer. OR you can also get into the 60/20v line.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got two Chicago Pneumatics, (3/8 & 1/2) but they're approaching 30 years old. If you're looking for just a 3/8, give some thought to a cordless. They're really good and less hassle to use than air tools.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If they do, other real manufacturers are buying snapons and selling them for way less than they are paying for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ingersoll Rand.  Much better than Snap On...Snap On doesn't even make their own impacts or torque wrenches.

I don't know about impacts,  but Snap-On does make it's own Torque wrenches. As well as CDI'S.

If they do, other real manufacturers are buying snapons and selling them for way less than they are paying for them.

The current Snap On torque wrenches they make themselves. The older ones were CDI under a contract to Snap On and CDI could not sell torque wrenches under their own name. The CDI's were better torque wrenches, I have a butt load of them, some 40 years old still work like new.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The current Snap On torque wrenches they make themselves. The older ones were CDI under a contract to Snap On and CDI could not sell torque wrenches under their own name. The CDI's were better torque wrenches, I have a butt load of them, some 40 years old still work like new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, Snap-on owns CDI
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought one of those Central Pneumatic Earth Quake 1/2" impact wrenches from Harbor Freight not too long ago and it worked great.  The impact wrench that came with my Campbell Hausfeld compressor would not budge some suspension nuts/bolts.  I got the Earth Quake for ~$75 with a coupon.  It was able to remove those nuts/bolts with ease.  I don't use 7 it to make a living but for home DIY work it is awesome.
View Quote
Real tool reviews tested it against the Snap on and they were equal. 
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to say Nitro Cat as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Real tool reviews tested it against the Snap on and they were equal. 
View Quote

What they didn't test is longevity. Snap-On impacts have had problems for years. My advice to the OP is get the Ingersoll 231C. Ingersoll has been making pneumatic impact wrenches since 1934. They've been making the 231 since 1980. I wouldn't get my Dad anything from Harbor Freight, especially for Christmas. The Ingersoll will outlast the other models recommended. It will be the last impact your Dad ever needs. In the rare case it ever did fail, parts are available at every air tool repair shop very inexpensively. Unless weight is a real concern due to disability I would not get a plastic impact. There is a reason you don't see professional mechanics using Harbor Freight tools.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What they didn't test is longevity. Snap-On impacts have had problems for years. My advice to the OP is get the Ingersoll 231C. Ingersoll has been making pneumatic impact wrenches since 1934. They've been making the 231 since 1980. I wouldn't get my Dad anything from Harbor Freight, especially for Christmas. The Ingersoll will outlast the other models recommended. It will be the last impact your Dad ever needs. In the rare case it ever did fail, parts are available at every air tool repair shop very inexpensively. Unless weight is a real concern due to disability I would not get a plastic impact. There is a reason you don't see professional mechanics using Harbor Freight tools.
View Quote

I must have missed the part where the OP's father was going to use it in a repair shop all day, every day of commercial use. I could of sworn he was going to use it around the house and to work on an old car. If the latter, he'll die of old age with the impact gun working fine. You might want to look at the reviews of the Harbor Freight Earthquake impact guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#28]

If got an older model of This One and it ran my Earthquake impact gun just fine. If you had the car up on a lift and tried to take off all four tires at once it probably would have run out of air, but with it on a jack and one or two at a time it worked just fine. I would imagine that one would be fine, too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:33:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I appreciate all the responses fellas, been a great help thus far. I went to the local harbor freight store and of course they were out of the 1/2 inch earthquake xt. So... tomorrow I'm gonna run to Madison's two stores and see if they have one.  If not, then I'm going to go with the 3/4 in drive xt because they had that one in stock. If all those options fail, then I am going to order the Ingersoll Rand off of Amazon and call it a day. Glad that his compressor is plenty capable of running anything I choose.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:26:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the responses fellas, been a great help thus far. I went to the local harbor freight store and of course they were out of the 1/2 inch earthquake xt. So... tomorrow I'm gonna run to Madison's two stores and see if they have one.  If not, then I'm going to go with the 3/4 in drive xt because they had that one in stock. If all those options fail, then I am going to order the Ingersoll Rand off of Amazon and call it a day. Glad that his compressor is plenty capable of running anything I choose.
View Quote

3/4" might be a bit unwieldy given the intended usage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't get a 3/4"!   You will really regret it for home use.  

I use IR exclusively, however, I wouldn't mind trying the HF unit one day.  I hear nothing but good about them.

And don't buy Snap-On stuff.  You are paying a 250% markup just for the name stamped in the side

ETA:
While you are at it, I would seriously consider a 3/8" impact.  Those little things come in handy!  You will start reaching for it before you do your ratchets!  Mine is a Milwaukee M18 Fuel, but a pneumatic is on my list, as they are quite a bit smaller, more powerful, and don't run on batteries
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I really, really like my 1/2" Earthquake XT.  Picked it up a few months ago with a $25 off coupon for about $130.  This has plenty of ass to remove or tighten anything car related.  Pinion nuts, ball joints, etc.  My old impact was a low end Craftsman, finally had enough and got the XT.  Gave the Craftsman away.  This tool is very light and has very favorable reviews.  I am not a professional but I do work on cars quite a lot and so far so good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit To Add:  Also pick up a set of 1/2" SAE and Metric impact sockets for it....also get very favorable reviews.  I have been beating mine for a few years and the only negative is I lost the 3/4"
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:33:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Snap-on - VS - Harbor Freight ( MG725 / Earthquake XT ) 1/2" Impact Wrenches

Earthquake XT v. Snap On MG725.  Read the comments, so much butthurt
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#34]
My brother is a semi-professional grease monkey. He swears by his Earthquake and Air Cat stuff. Hasn't had any issues with either for over a decade.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My compressor is only a 20-gallon with less output but it ran my 1/2" HF Earthquake just fine.
View Quote

A 3hp compressor with 20 gal. tank will run a 1/2 impact just fine. Impacts are usually intermittent duty like changing tires, so don't really use a lot of CFM.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't do the 3/4. A 1/2 will do 87% of automotive work. What about ordering from HF online?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Don't do the 3/4. A 1/2 will do 87% of automotive work. What about ordering from HF online?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one on backorder on-line from Black Friday from HF.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDjgY8Vwgo

Earthquake XT v. Snap On MG725.  Read the comments, so much butthurt
View Quote

I use my MG725 every day. I bought it reconditioned from Snap-on for $275. I have no doubt the HF gun will do what it does. All HF had to do was copy the guts.

I'm glad I bought the Snap-on for a few reasons. Mainly, because I know that American machinists get paid to manufacture it. If I need parts for it they are readily available. I have used it for eight years now and the only thing it has needed was the hammer mechanism lubricated. I know this board is full of Snap-on haters, and that is fine. But my MG725 has served me well for almost a decade for less than $3/month ;)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 for the Ingersoll Rand, damned nice air tools
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd like to keep it under $300 bux if possible.
View Quote

Here you go.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_17802_17802
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok thanks for the heads up on not getting the 3/4 inch. Like I stated in the original post, I dunno jack shit bout em.  Headed to Madison to check out 2 harbor freights after the bears vs packers game.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Here you go.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_17802_17802
View Quote

That's a pretty good price.

I don't need it.
I don't need it.
I don't need it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#44]
My 27 gal. 5.8SCFM @ 90psi Black Max compressor does fine with my IR 231HA. Same as the 231C but vents out the bottom of the grip and has 100 ft/lb. more torque in the forward direction. The compressor can't really hang with an IR right-angle die grinder though. You can't beat the IR 231 in 1/2". It laughs at my neighbor's HF 3/4". Maybe the WASR10 of impact wrenches?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a Chicago Pneumatic I bought when I worked for Mercedes 30+ years ago. Used it daily for 12 years or so. I still use it on occasion when I tear something down.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top