Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Owned it two weeks and the tire was wore already? Tell me it was used, otherwise I'd suspect HD is using salt water taffy as road rubber.

Glad you're OK.................
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You know they say, fall off you have to get back on. Well I hope everything come out ok.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Owned it two weeks and the tire was wore already? Tell me it was used, otherwise I'd suspect HD is using salt water taffy as road rubber.

Glad you're OK.................

It's an '01

25,000 or so miles on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
As long as you're ok, that's all that matters.

The stuff on the bike can be replaced.

YOU can not.

I know

it'll buff right out.

my dad's got a killer set of tools...he can fix it.

Are you near East Troy/Whitewater/Madison by chance?

Happy belated by the way

Only about two or three hours north.  I'm up by LaCrosse area

Good deal.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU can not.

I know

it'll buff right out.

Happy belated by the way

Good deal.  

You originally from WI deej?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you're okay man.  Love the bike.  Now you have an excuse to paint it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Glad you're okay man.  Love the bike.  Now you have an excuse to paint it.

But I LIKED that paint color.  Besides, there is a lot more paint that is OK than scratched.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty similar to that Maroon/Wine color on my Shadow but I think Honda's version is a tad darker. Like you said, it'll buff out.  That'll give you some exercise to work the stiffness out of your elbow.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Please do not go back to the Dunrock tires on that. My Sportster was almost new when I got it and had the stock Dunlops. I switched to Metzeler ME880's. What a world of difference. I swear to you, if they make them in your size, GET THEM! You will not regret it. I am a lot more confident in the rain with these, than I ever was with the Dunrocks. I cannot say enough about them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Please do not go back to the Dunrock tires on that. My Sportster was almost new when I got it and had the stock Dunlops. I switched to Metzeler ME880's. What a world of difference. I swear to you, if they make them in your size, GET THEM! You will not regret it. I am a lot more confident in the rain with these, than I ever was with the Dunrocks. I cannot say enough about them.

+1, except I run Avons on mine. They don't last long, but they're stiiiiiiiicky.

EDIT: And mine's not a Sportster (well, the motor is...kinda). Anyway, the point is his tires suck.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, except I run Avons on mine. They don't last long, but they're stiiiiiiiicky.

Avons are good. I hear they are about the same for grip as the Metzeler's, but the Metz. last longer. I almost went with the Avons, but at almost $200 for installation alone, I wanted something that I could keep a little longer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
snip
EDIT: And mine's not a Sportster (well, the motor is...kinda). Anyway, the point is his tires suck.

Yes it is! You have the heart of an XL. All the rest is just parts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Avons are good. I hear they are about the same for grip as the Metzeler's, but the Metz. last longer. I almost went with the Avons, but at almost $200 for installation alone, I wanted something that I could keep a little longer.

Why the hell would it cost $200 to get a tire put on?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't ride my bike a whole lot (shit, I'm still waiting to get it back from the builder after I dumped it), so the wear isn't really an issue. I've heard similar things about Metzeler's, and I might give them a serious look when it comes time to change the tires again.

For rain, I've got a buddy that swears by Continentals. He won't run anything else on his FXR. They're not particularly expensive either, from what I understand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glad you are ok.  Did the trailor push the back end out on you?

No, I don't think so.  Honestly I don't REALLY know what happened other than I got on the rear brakes to hard on the wet pavement, and the rear tire was getting kinda low on tread...

Paging KirkP, KirkP you presence is requested in GD

ETA: Glad your ok, sucks about your bike.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was front and rear. I was quoted about an hour of labor on the phone- from the stealership. When I took the bike up there, they said an hour each. I agreed because I wanted it done. When I went back they started bitching because I went from the stock 150 to a 160 and it took the tech longer to get it seated on the rim. They tried to charge me more, but I told to them to fuck off. I was quoted a price and that was that. Then they got me for something else, some kind of parts, anyway it was like $183 or whatever by the time I got out the door.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So, did you let off the rear brake, or did you keep it locked until you came to a stop? Did the rear tire even lock at all?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So, did you let off the rear brake, or did you keep it locked until you came to a stop? Did the rear tire even lock at all?

Honestly I don't know.  I didn't get the symptoms of a rear tire lockup, but the result sure as shit look like a rear tire lock up.  I'm actually really fucking puzzled how it happened.

ETA:  And I let off the rear brake before I came to a stop.  The bike was about 20 yards from me when I stopped.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU can not.

I know

it'll buff right out.

Happy belated by the way

Good deal.  

You originally from WI deej?

No, but I've been known to visit the East Troy/Whitewater/Elkhorn/Ft. Atkinson area.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It was front and rear. I was quoted about an hour of labor on the phone- from the stealership. When I took the bike up there, they said an hour each. I agreed because I wanted it done. When I went back they started bitching because I went from the stock 150 to a 160 and it took the tech longer to get it seated on the rim. They tried to charge me more, but I told to them to fuck off. I was quoted a price and that was that. Then they got me for something else, some kind of parts, anyway it was like $183 or whatever by the time I got out the door.

Wow, what a rip off. It takes me no more than 30 minutes total to change front and rear tires and balance in my garage. Most of that time is removal and reinstallation of the wheels.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly I don't know.  I didn't get the symptoms of a rear tire lockup, but the result sure as shit look like a rear tire lock up.  I'm actually really fucking puzzled how it happened.

ETA:  And I let off the rear brake before I came to a stop.  The bike was about 20 yards from me when I stopped.

Reason I asked is, if you let off the rear brake before you came to a stop (or kind of close), most bikes will "snap" when the back wheel catches up with the front wheel. Most guys do a flying W off the bike at this point.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad your ok Pita. Call me if I can do anything to help out (other than come get your lazy butt out of the ditch).
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When you were sliding, were you in front of the bike or behind it?

Many times when people lock up the rear, they instinctively let off the rear brake. By the time they let off, the motorcycle is sideways, it now regains traction instantly, violently straightening the bike back out, and throwing the rider over the high side.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#24]
IF you think it is fried best to not ride it.If you have someone willing to pick you up trailer it home.

running it with an issue unless it is an emergency is bad news

glad u r ok
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many times when people lock up the rear, they instinctively let off the rear brake. By the time they let off, the motorcycle is sideways, it now regains traction instantly, violently straightening the bike back out, and throwing the rider over the high side.

I know how to ride .  I didn't high side, bike went down to the right and I went down with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Glad your ok Pita. Call me if I can do anything to help out (other than come get your lazy butt out of the ditch).

OK, how bout a 1000 rounds of 5.56?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Good to here you aren't hurt to bad, hope the bike is ok to.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry just burned all mine up at the class you should have been to.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#30]
You walked away, man that is great scooter looks not so bad also.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry just burned all mine up at the class you should have been to.

I would have, if ya wouldn't have had it Memorial day Weekend...what kinda crack do you think you're smoking that I could get off work Memorial day weekend?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you ask them for a reference to a legitimate tire place as you left?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Pita,

Get your ass back on COD4!  Glad you are ok.  

I have a question.   What kind of pants were you wearing?  How did they do to protect you skin?  Just the Sweatshirt on top?   What kind of gloves?   And, I imagine you did have your helmet on?    

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glad you are ok.  Did the trailor push the back end out on you?

No, I don't think so.  Honestly I don't REALLY know what happened other than I got on the rear brakes to hard on the wet pavement, and the rear tire was getting kinda low on tread...

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

The tire wear is a direct result of the trailer and it didn't help when it came to hauling that 800lb bike down to a stop.  Towing a trailer will drop rear tire life to about half.  It looks like it is still wearing the stock Dunlop 402's (Geezer Glide riders like 'em for the white wall).  These are a touring tire built for longevity rather than sticking to the road (usual life is around 8 to 10K without trailer).  It's not a bad tire for what it is, but their limitations have to be compensated for.

Learn to stay off the rear brake.  The FL pedal design transfers an incredible amount of torque and thus very easy to lock up.  A down shift combined with wet pavement will lock up the stock Dunlops too.   When you're up again practice riding the bike without touching the rear brake.  Although not Sport bike powerful the front brake has plenty of power to lock the front tire.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know how to ride .  I didn't high side, bike went down to the right and I went down with it.

Have to disagree with you there.  Even if you locked the rear wheel, why did you dump it let it dump you?

New helmet, time, too.

Glad you are OK.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I ran the 880's on a Road King for a while.  I won't do it again.

Very bad tire life on a FL sized bike.  The center section wears very fast.  Although the tires had about half the tread left at 4K they became very squirrelly.  Taking a curve and rolling onto the side of the tire was like rolling up onto a step and caused the bike to do a little side step while the contact patch was at about an inch at that point.  A very bad feeling in the middle of a curve and worse in the wet.  They work well on lighter bikes, but I won't run one on a heavy bike again.  

I'm trying a set of the Dunlop Elite III's now.  The same tread pattern as the Metzler, but with much better life.  I've got about 4K on a set now and they still look great.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
IF you think it is fried best to not ride it.If you have someone willing to pick you up trailer it home.

running it with an issue unless it is an emergency is bad news

glad u r ok

Possibly just a lifter bled down.  They will sound like the bike is coming apart for a while until it pumps back up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The crash bars will usually hit the pavement first pulling the tire completely off the ground before the bike falls more than half way down.  Makes it easier to pick them up after a parking lot tip-over.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Another rear brake success story
some people will never learn
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see anything wrong.  Keep riding it.  

It was upside down in the ditch.  Is it probably ridable?  Yeah, but typically when it spends time upside down some shit is broke.  And theirs a nasty tick when it runs.  It's almost three hours home, my knee and elbow are kinda banged up (little road rash, nothing bad) and I don't feel like trying to limp it home that far down the interstate.

Pussy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Pics don't look too bad. Glad you're not hamburger. Stay safe and keep that helmet on.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Glad your ok
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hijack, but what is someone supposed to do in that situation?  I had this happen to me (those Dunlops do SUCK, unfortunately, mine also has new tread) and felt a little snap, but I never got more than 20* off center.  I wanted to grab the rear brake because on a previous bike where in my infinite wisdom I declined to use the rear brake at all I locked up the front tire, skidded to a halt with AIR UNDER MY ASS!!!  I stopped 6in away from the bumper of a Chevy Lumina.  Scared the hell out of me.  If you would prefer not to continue the hijack, please pm me the advice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The crash bars will usually hit the pavement first pulling the tire completely off the ground before the bike falls more than half way down.  Makes it easier to pick them up after a parking lot tip-over.  

Well, I'm home now.  We got it upright and trailered home.  It's not NEARLY as bad as I first anticipated. Covered in mud, but right now it looks like just a lower fairing and a set of crashbars, oh and a windshield.  But that is about it.  Crash bars are chewed to shit, but that is what they are for.  All things considered, it's all good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hijack, but what is someone supposed to do in that situation?  I had this happen to me (those Dunlops do SUCK, unfortunately, mine also has new tread) and felt a little snap, but I never got more than 20* off center.  I wanted to grab the rear brake because on a previous bike where in my infinite wisdom I declined to use the rear brake at all I locked up the front tire, skidded to a halt with AIR UNDER MY ASS!!!  I stopped 6in away from the bumper of a Chevy Lumina.  Scared the hell out of me.  If you would prefer not to continue the hijack, please pm me the advice.

Get off the brake before you get way off center. The book says ride the bike to a stop on rear tire lockup if I'm not mistaken.  I usually prefer the don't lock it up and you won't have to worry about it school of thought.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see anything wrong.  Keep riding it.  

It was upside down in the ditch.  Is it probably ridable?  Yeah, but typically when it spends time upside down some shit is broke.  And theirs a nasty tick when it runs.  It's almost three hours home, my knee and elbow are kinda banged up (little road rash, nothing bad) and I don't feel like trying to limp it home that far down the interstate.

Pussy.

Love you to sweetie.
Bitch
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Pita hope your ok buddy.  How much did you have to pay your Dad for coming to get your ass!

Hope the HD is ok as well.  Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Pita hope your ok buddy.  How much did you have to pay your Dad for coming to get your ass!

Hope the HD is ok as well.  Keep us posted.

Just the gas to get back.  Trailer was borrowed from the HD dealership at free-99.

I'm sure I wouldn't have needed to pay him that either, but I felt bad about the whole deal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than hitting the rear brake you did just fine other than modulating the front brake (as soon as the tire loses traction the brakes are usless anyways).  That's the way it's supposed to work.

If you do have the rear locked up and the bike is starting to swap ends then do not let off that rear brake.  If you do the gyroscopic principle will cause the bike to want to right itself as soon as the rear tire starts to roll again.  This snaps the bike upright in an instant and catapults the rider over the top.

In a perfect world you would hit the rear brake first as that's where the weight is.  As soon as the bike's weight starts to shift forward you let off the rear and apply more front brake.  In a panic situation it's all but impossible to do this so just get used to using the front brake as the primary stopper.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I am glad you are okay Pita and your Motorcycle came out with little damage.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top