User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You waited 2 months to clean out the litter box? That is fucking disgusting. I bet your home smells great.

Reading is fundamental.

50 lbs of litter at a time...one cycle was about 3 weeks or so...into the bag, tied off.

Next 50 lbs of fresh litter...another three weeks, then that went into the bad.

ETA: I got people over here all the time, and they have never said anything. They bitch about everything else, but not any smell.

Reading is fundamental

Evidently because I have too much cat shit...in a double-wrapped industrial trash bag...in my front yard.

I have two cats. They're big cats. Google image search "Maine Coon" for more information.

For their litter box, I got a concrete mixing tub from Home Depot and I fill it with 50 lbs of litter. This lasts them for about a month. When it needs changed, I just dump the whole damn tub into a giant industrial-strength trash bag.

Well this last time, I waited two cycles before I put it out front for the trash guys. The bag was excessively heavy. My roommate and I estimated it at approximately 200 lbs, mostly absorbed water weight.

So we double bag it and wrestle the bag outside. I come home from work today and the bag is still there!

What the fuck do you think I did with the first cycle there Socrates?

A "cycle" generally refers to one complete process preceding the next cycle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF, you expect them to pick up 200lbs of cat shit and piss? I'd fucking leave it too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't want to move the bag again because it's too heavy but you expect the trash guys to pick up a 200 lb trash bag full of used cat litter?

Dude, spring for some scoopable cat litter and clean the box from time to time.

Apollos, listen to Seabee.  You can't abuse the garbage collector like that!

While it will suck, break up the bag into < 50 lb portions and they will haul it off.  

Be very nice to garbage collectors.  They are one of the few people in this world that can make your life miserable.

ya I will either split it up or I was thinking about tossing an envelope that's says "sorry, won't happen again" on it and leave them $10 or something.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The cement tub is a good idea, but clean that thing and toss the waste regularly.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Cat people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

200 pounds of cat shit and pee? I'd hate to be your neighbors.

+1

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't smell at all...the bad is sealed off, and I use good litter, never smell a damn thing.

You are probably used to the smell.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You waited 2 months to clean out the litter box? That is fucking disgusting. I bet your home smells great.

Reading is fundamental.

50 lbs of litter at a time...one cycle was about 3 weeks or so...into the bag, tied off.

ETA: I got people over here all the time, and they have never said anything. They bitch about everything else, but not any smell.

Reading is fundamental

Evidently because I have too much cat shit...in a double-wrapped industrial trash bag...in my front yard.

I have two cats. They're big cats. Google image search "Maine Coon" for more information.

For their litter box, I got a concrete mixing tub from Home Depot and I fill it with 50 lbs of litter. This lasts them for about a month. When it needs changed, I just dump the whole damn tub into a giant industrial-strength trash bag.

Well this last time, I waited two cycles before I put it out front for the trash guys. The bag was excessively heavy. My roommate and I estimated it at approximately 200 lbs, mostly absorbed water weight.

So we double bag it and wrestle the bag outside. I come home from work today and the bag is still there!

L
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't want to move the bag again because it's too heavy but you expect the trash guys to pick up a 200 lb trash bag full of used cat litter?

While it will suck, break up the bag into < 50 lb portions and they will haul it off.  

Be very nice to garbage collectors.  They are one of the few people in this world that can make your life miserable.

ya I will either split it up or I was thinking about tossing an envelope that's says "sorry, won't happen again" on it and leave them $10 or something.

I cleaned out my attic and threw away a metric shitload of stuff all at the same time.  When I saw the pile I had created I knew I was going to have trouble with the garbage guy.

I bought a case of beer and took it out to him when he pulled up and offered to help him load the crap into his truck.  He told me "no fucking way you're going to put that in my truck, THAT'S MY JOB!".  

He cheerfully tossed every last scrap into his truck and then told me that he wasn't allowed to accept gifts (the beer).  I said fine, then I put the case of beer on top of my trashcan and told him you missed some, do your damned job.  He did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I scoop once a day (one cat) and put it into a ziploc bag, then chuck the bag in the trash, then chuck the trash out every two or three days.

No litter box smell at all.  The cat smell that you detect when visiting cat owners is probably cat pee in some area of the carpet or something that nobody's yet found.  Has nothing to do with the litter box.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, if I was the trashman, I would have stuck the bag with a knife and torn it open, before leaving it.

In before someone calls code enforcement on you!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.

Reading is fundamental

L

dude...

I dumped the tub after two or three weeks onto the bag, tied it off.

Two or three weeks later I dumped the second tub in with the first at which time I put it outside.

Trackin?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to agree 100% with the trash collectors.  200 pounds of cat shit is too damn much.  have a little courtesy and split it up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Even on ARFCOM, "I don't know how to take care of a cat's litter box" can turn in to "Fuck the garbage man".  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
As much as I hate the thought of "garbage police" the reason we have them is people like you.  Cat shit piles should not be kept around until they reach 200lbs.  People with pet Giraffs don't wait that long to get rid of the shit.  Do you wait until the toilet is full before you flush your shit?  Shit is shit, get it out of the fucking house/lawn whatever ASAP.  

I bet the cats even fucking know that!

Just mix it in some old furniture like an old desk or something, it will be gone by morning from the local roving garbage-picker ring.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]
dude, that is kindof weird
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
surprised no one said this yet
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As much as I hate the thought of "garbage police" the reason we have them is people like you.  Cat shit piles should not be kept around until they reach 200lbs.  People with pet Giraffs don't wait that long to get rid of the shit.  Do you wait until the toilet is full before you flush your shit?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a case of beer and took it out to him when he pulled up and offered to help him load the crap into his truck.  He told me "no fucking way you're going to put that in my truck, THAT'S MY JOB!".  

]

Must be union
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
one cycle was about 3 weeks or so...into the bag, tied off.
This lasts them for about a month
I dumped the tub after two or three weeks onto the bag, tied it off.
Two or three weeks later I dumped the second tub in with the first at which time I put it outside.

Trackin?

No.  Your story would make more sense if you could differentiate between two weeks and one month.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
200 pounds of anything is probably not going to sit well with the garbage man (although my trash collector never even leaves his truck; it has a grappling arm that just picks up the trash can and dumps it so probably wouldn't even know how much weight was in the can).

Here's a suggestion for you:
Instead of dumping all that littler out every 3 weeks,  scoop it out and put the cat waste into the bag.  If you are buying good litter it will last a heck of a lot longer than 3 weeks and save you quite a bit of money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Perhaps some smaller pussy is in order....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Do you wait until the toilet is full before you flush your shit?

HAHAHAHA

...probably does.

"Saves water!!! No smell!"

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

Must be union

I'm almost certain that he is union as a matter of fact,  he also happens to be a black man.  He's also one of the hardest working and kindest people you'd ever hope to meet.  

There are two extremely senior citizens on my block, and he goes around to the back of their houses to get their garbage cans, empties them, and then puts them back.  While he's doing that he puts their news papers next to their door and picks up any stray garbage from their front yards.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm a cat person and even I think that is fucked up!

Learn to scoop!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, pet owners never think their houses smell like shit and pee. I bet you let them sleep in your bed, too.

If you don't like the sanitation department's rules about pet waste, haul it to the dump yourself. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah, pet owners never think their houses smell like shit and pee. I bet you let them sleep in your bed, too.

If you don't like the sanitation department's rules about pet waste, haul it to the dump yourself. Problem solved.

I am pretty conscious about how my house smells. I also have a roommate and he and his girlfriend have never said a word. I also have friends from work and school over all the time...not a word.

Perhaps everyone lost their sense of smell. Or maybe mid-20s college student dudes suddenly stopped being cynical dickweeds. Trust me, if it smelled in here, they would be giving me shit all the time for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
200 lbs

I wouldn't touch that either. Why don't you dispose of it in a timely manor and not have so much at a time? Surely they pick up your garbage more then once a month?

Gotta agree here.

I'm a reasonable man but what you're asking is beyond reason.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't smell at all...the bad is sealed off, and I use good litter, never smell a damn thing.

oh it smells...you're just used to it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#30]
sell the cats to the nearest local chinese resturant, make some money......burn the kitty litter and tell the city to invest in garbage trucks where the arm comes out and picks it up.....only need a driver!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Fucking TWO-HUNDRED POUNDS of CAT SHIT?????

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Cats.. WTF is wrong with you, all they do is shit , lick their asses and then try and lick you on the face.

Kill em with fire and then get a dog that will go shit in the back yard... ( or the Neighbors yard)

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#33]
200 pounds of cat litter?  I know exactly what they garbage men's supervisor would say.  "Don't you dare lift it."  That's a worker's comp claim waiting to happen.  I've seen folks fill their cans with dirt, gravel, broken concrete, a cast iron bathtub
, dead animals, and all sorts of unspeakable maggot infested disasters.  If it's too heavy for them to lift, they just won't do it.

Use some common sense.  Either break it down into manageable hunks or get a dumpster.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This, wtf man.

Clean their box once a week and use a much smaller bag.   I don't blame them at all for not wanting to pick up your 200 pounds of cat feces once a month.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Most likely it's just the weight that got them pissed, they had to add rules on it because these guys do that all day. And since most garbage pickup seems to be contracted out to companies now all you get is is the packer truck and one guy on the ground to pickup. Back in the old days when the cities around here were doing good the trash pickup was done by the city, they had two guys on the ground picking up and had time to team lift heavier bags o poop. Where I grew up they even had seperate truck for furniture,appliances and debris,it had a grappler crane like for picking up logs to lift heavy items into the truck. The good old days when men knew thier job and had the skills and equipment to get it done and had the attitude that if these good taxpayers can get this bag O doo out to this curb then by God we will get it into the truck
Now it's all Oh this weighs too much or it's too stinky,I'd rather not sully my hands with such things
But anyways...we have two dogs and two cats and poop,litter and all goes into the trash once a week. And I allways go by if I can carry each container out to the curb easilly with one hand, they should have no problem loading. So far no probs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I were them I would attempt to lift the bag knowing full well it would split wide open.  Then I would leave a 200lb mound of piss-saturated litter on your yard and laugh about it later in the breakroom with the guys.

+1

THIS!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#37]

+1 then while doing this run around the yard in your undies and chant

"CAT shit.....Bat shit....dirty old twat.....69 assholes tied in a knot......yeah team......FOCK!!!!!!"

and when you yell fock make sure your pointing at someone.....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#38]
At this thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty conscious about how my house smells. I also have a roommate and he and his girlfriend have never said a word. I also have friends from work and school over all the time...not a word.

Perhaps everyone lost their sense of smell. Or maybe mid-20s college student dudes suddenly stopped being cynical dickweeds. Trust me, if it smelled in here, they would be giving me shit all the time for it.

I don't say a word about smells when I am in a customers house. I have been known to refuse to work in a few and I've yet to have gotten in trouble because I CYA and call it a health hazard instead of just stinky. I have a couple of dogs, I KNOW, even tho I vacumn quite frequently, it has a doggy smell. No one has ever actually come out and said so. I wouldn't say anything to my friends either, heck, I've been in peoples houses that REEK and they have NO pets. Some people themselves just exude a horrible odor to some people, others might not even smell it, it's not like we all react to to same smell exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No kidding! What does your house smell like?

I hate cats....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, has this thread's replies met your expectations?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I miss our cats who died in '04 and '09 respectively, but I will not get another.

Dealing with the litter boxes was an absolute pain. And I had the easy kind with three trays where you just lift the whole sifter pan out, put the sifter pan into the second tray, and dump the first tray back on top of the sifter.

Even when you do a good job of keeping on top of it, it's absolutely filthy. The scattered litter from the cats etc. Then when they get older they start pissing on the edge of the box etc... And figuring out what to do with the "clean" litter when you'd change it over periodically was still a pain. Even when it was just the 10-20 lbs in a normal sized box. Because based on the recomendations of "cat experts" you still have three of those damn boxes scattered around the house.

A dog is so much easier, and the whole "cats are cleaner" routine, because of how they lick themselves is just a load of BS. With a dog, you take five minutes to pick up turds, toss them in a bag, and toss that bag right into the outside garbage, and you've got full outdoor ventilation the whole time, and the stuff was never in your house.  And the dog won't stain your carpet with the vomit juice from hairballs from all that grooming either.

Unless it's an ungodly number of dogs, a "dog house" is usually cleaner and less smelly than a "cat house".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#44]
The next thread will be:

"My cats are peeing and pooping all over the place I don't understand why?!?!?!!!!111ONEONE"

Cats are very particular animals about smells, where they go, and the environment around them when they do they like a quiet clean area to poop, and probably a different quiet clean area to pee.  While one big litterbox is not a bad idea for two main coon cats, the typical good advice surrounds around "change the litter when it needs it" and "scoop out the clumps and bad parts once or twice per DAY".

If you were doing that, you would have almost no bulk litter to deal with, just little portions that go in your regular trash.

Instead, you are aggravating the garbage men (guess what, if you are doing anything else you can expect them to tip off the cops about that too) and probably making your cats miserable in the process.  You are doing the cat equivalent of chaining the aggressive mutt in the back yard and throwing a bag of food out there once a week.  Grow up and learn to be responsible for your pets or get rid of them.

So, you get five

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OP, has this thread's replies met your expectations?

haha of course...this is GD
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
While one big litterbox is not a bad idea for two main coon cats, the typical good advice surrounds around "change the litter when it needs it" and "scoop out the clumps and bad parts once or twice per DAY".

If you were doing that, you would have almost no bulk litter to deal with, just little portions that go in your regular trash.

I like cats, they're nice to pet and play with, but this is exactly why I don't want another. Even when you're "doing it right", it's just a huge PITA.

I can walk outside and scoop up a pile of dog turds once a day in 10 seconds and that mess is never in my house.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm guessing that you thought you were going to get a different reaction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I have two large indoor cats and  two cat boxes. They are filled with clumping style litter. Boxes are cleaned every morning and every evening. The floor is swept around them for spilled litter. Total time involved per day is less than 15 minutes.  I never replace litter only add to it. The clumps removed are scooped into a plastic grocery bag, tied shut and placed in the garbage. Boxes are always clean with no smell. Cats are happy. Family is happy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I think 200 lbs. would fall under "or if the amount is excessive".
I don't like doing this, but I gotta go with the trash collectors on this one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like the waste pick up rules bit you in the ass.  Maybe you should try to follow them instead of expecting the garbage man to pick up 200lbs of shit.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top