Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Oh good grief.  You wasted bandwidth to bitch about something that is normal AND legal?

It's a common practice around here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait to finally see this happen in public, so I can see for myself why
so many people seem to find this sooo offensive, I think I'd just be jealous
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It could certainly be done a bit more discreetly.  Esp. in a resteraunt
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Things are different in Europe. A lot laxer in the sexual/nudity issues.

Fewer hangups, you mean. Walking around a topless beach in France I quickly learned that when you make something normal is ceases to be that big a deal. After all, it's acceptable for men to show nipple on a beach, seems a bit hypocritical to forbid women from doing the same. A bra or bikini top is really a strange contrivance when you think about it.

I don't see anything lewd about women's breasts exposed in a bathing suit area. just seems normal really. Sometimes we are a strange society.

In a restaurant, asking her to cover a bit might not be unreasonable, but asking to feed somewhere else is really uncalled for.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Being disurbed by the sight of breastfeeding says more about you than it does about her.

Just think of all the people who would be grossed out about you eating meat.  In a restaurant, of all places...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is legal and generally sociably acceptable to breast-feed in public. What do you want them to do, drive all the way back home or get a hotel room when their nips start leaking or the kid gets hungry?

I disagree. He said a 5 star restaurant. There is no way it is socially accecptable to breastfeed in a 5 star restaurant. Mainly because a baby shouldn't be in a 5 star restaurant in the first place.

If some chick whips out a titty, I don't really care where the hell I am,
I sure won't be complaining about it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]
This is why they invented cell phones with cameras!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And the problem is?

+1

Does it seriously bother you that a woman is feeding her child the way God intended it? How PC can you get?

There are a lot of natural things that you just don't do in a nice restaurant for everyone to see.  It's not that complicated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#9]
 Well...at least you didn't have to worry about her shaving her pits at the table!!! She's French...get it????
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And the problem is?

The problem is people taking breastfeeding babies into a five-star restaurant.

I understand the notion of the moment, but a little bit of planning (don't take the baby to dinner at the fancy restaurant) goes along way.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Free Meal if you ask her nicely !  Ha couldn't resist sorry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Ever crawl into bed with a nursing wife and a bag of double stuff Oreos?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Liberal Euro trash.
She would have taken a shit at the table if it didn't stink.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
those that think there is a problem with this are probably those that think that a 'fancy restaurant" is something along the lines of McDonalds

pull your heads out of your arses / pre-/-early teens and grow up a bit.

nursing a baby is not the same as wanking off or taking a leak/crap in public!  To even try and rationalize it as such = epic FAIL
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When my laddies were being breastfed, I found that despite the fact that the boobage volume in my house increased about tenfold without disturbing the perfect shape, the boobs themselves became totally nonsexual. She could have had enormous, firm, translucent-skinned elbows for all it did for me to see them. They weren't for Dad; they were all for Junior. I was very happy when they reverted to normal size and normal purpose.

ETA: If you're reading this, son, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are now impotent for life! I told you to give me a grandchild 2 years ago!"

That's funny...I hope I live long enough to become an embarrassment to my kids.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
You were at a 5 star restaurant drinking Maker's?

Fail.

Funny story though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I see it once in awhile,  it's a completely natural and beautiful thing, babies are at their happiest
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I've seen it a few times, although now if at all they quite often have some sort of covering or whatnot. But bare cans is legal here, I think?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#19]
My general disdain for "OMH its teh boobies in public" threads is currently conflicting with my dislike of folks who bring infants to high end dining.

In the end, I do not think I'm a hypocrite.   I'd be annoyed even of the child just sat there, cried, flung food and otherwise became a spectacle.  

But other than the time/place/manner issues as to the child itself, some of you guys are way too wound up about a baby being fed, at its feeding time, with the feeding device devised by the almighty hisownself.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife's overweight friend is like that... baby rides in one of those slings, and while nursing the only part that's covered up is by the baby's mouth.  

Google La Leche League, they're the ammo-fort-building, I-Am-Legend-Bathtub-pic type loonies of the motherhood world.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a problem with people who freaking take their 5 year-olds to a nice resturant or even a Sizzler's Buffet, let alone a nursing infant.

Same class of morons who bring yapping kids and screaming infants to movies.

ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Sign on the door:

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Shitting is natural but you don't see people squatting in restaurant to drop a steamer on the floor.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My general disdain for "OMH its teh boobies in public" threads is currently conflicting with my dislike of folks who bring infants to high end dining.

In the end, I do not think I'm a hypocrite.   I'd be annoyed even of the child just sat there, cried, flung food and otherwise became a spectacle.  

But other than the time/place/manner issues as to the child itself, some of you guys are way too wound up about a baby being fed, at its feeding time, with the feeding device devised by the almighty hisownself.

Yep.

I wouldn't dream of taking our three year old to a restaurant that didn't have waiters and waitresses who wore name tags and "flair."

Even then, its a rarity and we are prepared to pack up and leave if he melts down.

Old fashioned I suppose.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At the risk of sounding like a liberal, does the sight of a woman breast feeding really take you aback?  

It does if it's Helen Thomas...

www.theodoresworld.net/pics/1207/hthomas.jpg

Dude, you have got to put a GRAPHIC warning on the top of your post before a pic like that.  I was zipping through page 2 expecting to see pics or an mspaint when my eyes began to melt and that image was seared into my brain.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is legal and generally sociably acceptable to breast-feed in public. What do you want them to do, drive all the way back home or get a hotel room when their nips start leaking or the kid gets hungry?

I disagree. He said a 5 star restaurant. There is no way it is socially accecptable to breastfeed in a 5 star restaurant. Mainly because a baby shouldn't be in a 5 star restaurant in the first place.

If some chick whips out a titty, I don't really care where the hell I am,
I sure won't be complaining about it.

It's not the titty that I take issue with, it's the small child in a nice restaurant that isn't appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
There was a lady breastfeeding in the middle of a crowded mall. I guess I was giving a dirty look because she sniped, "It's a perfectly natural act", and I was thinking so is taking a shit, but I'm not going to drop trou and pinch a loaf right in the middle of the mall.

So's the line of 14 year olds peaking out of the Arcade to take a look.

Doesn't make it appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And the problem is?

+1

Does it seriously bother you that a woman is feeding her child the way God intended it? How PC can you get?

+ infinity
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And the problem is?

+1

Who cares?   I'm sick to death of everyone getting offended at everything.  When did this country become a bunch of self-involved pussies?  We have PC'd this country to death.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Pics or it never happened.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
nursing a baby is not the same as wanking off or taking a leak/crap in public!  To even try and rationalize it as such = epic FAIL

Riiiiiight. They perform a bodily function in public and then give the stink eye like they would like a little privacy instead of being looked at. I'm sure you see the contradiction.

They shouldn't be surprised when they get this: Breast Feeding, Jim Carrey movie clip
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#32]
AGNTSA..

Full grown men scared of boobies... pathetic

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

I hate kids in nice restaurants. But the law forbids restaurants from barring them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ha this was done about 2 years ago... looking for the archive link
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Personally I don't see a problem, though my daughter was bottle fed. It's just another part of motherhood, and I'm all for taking care of a babies needs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
She's French! She does not need to care about what you uncultured American swine think.

(it's funny, what can I say :) )
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Breastfeeding is a normal and natural act that can, with a little preparation, be discreetly performed in public.  However, latching the kid on and leaving the teat exposed in a public setting just screams attention whore.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When my laddies were being breastfed, I found that despite the fact that the boobage volume in my house increased about tenfold without disturbing the perfect shape, the boobs themselves became totally nonsexual. She could have had enormous, firm, translucent-skinned elbows for all it did for me to see them. They weren't for Dad; they were all for Junior. I was very happy when they reverted to normal size and normal purpose.

ETA: If you're reading this, son, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are now impotent for life! I told you to give me a grandchild 2 years ago!"

With God as my witness, I will ensure that he reads this post!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And the problem is?

+1

Who cares?   I'm sick to death of everyone getting offended at everything.  When did this country become a bunch of self-involved pussies?  We have PC'd this country to death.  

I am sick to death of people who drag their screaming, whining, little crap factories with them to places the little brat can neither enjoy nor appreciate. While at the same time destroying eveyone else ability to enjoy themselves, a privilege that we are more than likely paying for.

It the same thing as taking a screaming baby into a college library the week before finals.

It is not about being PC, it's about a total lack of decency and the now uncommon courtesy as practiced by some people with children.

PC is being forced to put up with idiots who drag their kids everywhere, whip out their tits and breast feed, or have to hear junoir the champion screamer squall off and on for 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
And the problem is?

+1

I am sick to death of people who drag their screaming, whining, little crap factories with them to places the little brat can neither enjoy nor appreciate. While at the same time destroying eveyone else ability to enjoy themselves, a privilege that we are more than likely paying for.

It the same thing as taking a screaming baby into a college library the week before finals.

It is not about being PC, it's about a total lack of decency and the now uncommon courtesy as practiced by some people with children.

PC is being forced to put up with idiots who drag their kids everywhere, whip out their tits and breast feed, or have to hear junoir the champion screamer squall off and on for 20 minutes.

Big + 1 on everything except the breatfeeding. I don't mind the breastfeeding, just the presence of kids where they shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Oh good grief.  You wasted bandwidth to bitch about something that is normal AND legal?

+1. At the end of the day, what you saw were JUST breast and ONLY breast. If she wants to let them hang to feed her child then let 'em hang. Besides, if I'm out eating at a nice restaurant (or ANY restaurant, for that matter), I'd rather see a mom breast feed her child than to hear a screaming, hungry, baby.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#43]
one thing comes to mind...

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. At the end of the day, what you saw were JUST breast and ONLY breast. If she wants to let them hang to feed her child then let 'em hang. Besides, if I'm out eating at a nice restaurant (or ANY restaurant, for that matter), I'd rather see a mom breast feed her child than to hear a screaming, hungry, baby.  

I would rather the baby wasn't there in the first place. Why do people want to bring children to nice restaurants and late 'R' rated movies?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Things are different in Europe. A lot laxer in the sexual/nudity issues.

I don't believe we should copy europe in to many ways. However, I would most certainly make the exception here because people in this country are WAAAYYYYYYY to uptight when it comes to matters of sex and nudity. I seriously doubt God Himself is as uptight and prudish about sex as most people in the US seem to be.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I kid you not. No cover, just baby feeding and bare breastage....

My wife and daughter are with me, and I am about to make a comment when she says to the waiter in a thick french accent "I will have two large MILKS"...

That is when my neat Makers was sent across the table via the nasal route...

Is this strictly a French thing? or do other women whip them out in 5 star places and feed the  young ones?

Dag nabit. First you hit me with breasteses, then while that is swimming in my head you put: "That is when my neat Makers was sent across the table via the nasal route..."

Took me two damn minutes to figure out what you were saying.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I guess all you ignorant people saying "what's the problem?!" with conducting yourself like that in a restaurant have never heard of a breast pump and bottle or formula before. It's not going to kill the baby to drink from a bottle while you're at a restaurant. If you want to argue in favor of public breast feeding, that's fine, but don't sit there and act like there aren't any other acceptable options.

Some women do it for attention just like some guys open carry for attention. I like keeping my gun concealed. I don't see any reason why a woman would want to draw attention to herself and bare a breast for the whole world to see while her baby nurses. A blanket or special garment designed with breastfeeding in mind that covers the baby and mother's breast seems like a much more logical solution if you absolutely 100% cannot accept feeding the baby breast pumped milk while you're out, but what the hell do I know?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
My wife's overweight friend is like that... baby rides in one of those slings, and while nursing the only part that's covered up is by the baby's mouth.  

Google La Leche League, they're the ammo-fort-building, I-Am-Legend-Bathtub-pic type loonies of the motherhood world.  

So there is a female analog to ARFCOM?  See you sausage-lovers later!

[door slams]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would rather the baby wasn't there in the first place. Why do people want to bring children to nice restaurants and late 'R' rated movies?

Yeah, I agree. Bringing a young child to a 5 star restaurant probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do but, in her defence,  she was probably a tourist and, while she was here, she probably wanted to treat herself to some fine, American style, dining. As such, she had to bring junior with her because it wasn't like she could leave him in the cab or something while her and her husband were enjoying themselves inside. In any case, I'd still rather see a naked breast than to hear a screaming baby. If a tit keeps that baby quiet then give him all the tits he wants.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top