Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No it doesn't.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did a Google search for "snakes of Georgia" found The Eastern Garter snake.  If you do an image search there are a lot of pattern variations.

This one looks kind of close.

http://thecav.edublogs.org/files/2010/10/eastern_garter_snake-1ducnpa.jpg
No it doesn't.  

Here's another one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
gopher snake
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a Google search for "snakes of Georgia" found The Eastern Garter snake.  If you do an image search there are a lot of pattern variations.

No it doesn't.  

Here's another one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Thamnophis_sirtalis_sirtalis_Wooster.jpg
where on the OP's picture do you see stripes!?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.  

Here's another one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Thamnophis_sirtalis_sirtalis_Wooster.jpg

The second picture in the OP shows the longitudinal stripes common to the Garter snakes.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Yellow or Gray Rat snake, or possibly an intergrade of the two. Yellow rats are often not very yellow at all. I'm not an expert on all things like most of GD, but I did keep and breed snakes for about 15 years. Definitely a rat snake.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yellow Rat. We usually get them lighter and more yellow with darker stripes as they get older but some have the faint squares when young that are common on other rat snakes.

ETA lo but OP already knew that lol

Juvie Yellow Rat

View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]

I highlighted the snake's pattern.  It has the pattern, and coloration that you would find consistent with the brown water snake.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yellow Rat. We usually get them lighter and more yellow with darker stripes as they get older but some have the faint squares when young that are common on other rat snakes.

Juvie Yellow Rat

I agree.
Ah.

I was fooled by the juvenile pattern.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like a garter snake, likely harmless. However please teach your son not to pick up snakes of unknown kind. Could be a life threatening mistake.
View Quote

It's not a garter, that's a rat snake.  Completely harmless and quite beneficial to have around.  That's also a younger one.  The adults can get up to 6-7 feet long.  They'll eat rats, mice, other snakes, and a lot of other pests.  Their bite is no big deal, it'll hurt a little bit but it won't have any lasting effect.

Let it go to do it's thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's not poisonous.
View Quote
are you sure? no one ate it yet...

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/VTHOKIESHOOTER/photobucket-31860-1378931864744_zps5b2b3e37.jpg

I highlighted the snake's pattern.  It has the pattern, and coloration that you would find consistent with the brown water snake.
View Quote

The head/body shape are ratsnake-like though, and the pattern is consistent with a juvenile or gray/yellow intergrade.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not poisonous.

Not poisonous or venomous.  Garter snakes are both.  Their venom is nothing humans have to worry about unless you have an allergic reaction.  Eating them is not advised however.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The head/body shape are ratsnake-like though, and the pattern is consistent with a juvenile or gray/yellow intergrade.

http://thies-times.com/serpentryan/lifelist/Snakes/YellowRatSnake02.jpg

http://ratsnakefoundation.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_intergrade%20rat%20snake%201a.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/VTHOKIESHOOTER/photobucket-31860-1378931864744_zps5b2b3e37.jpg

http://ratsnakefoundation.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_intergrade%20rat%20snake%201a.JPG

This. End thread.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]

I've seen two yellow rats, and they all looked like this one, and of course none of them were juveniles.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Congratulations!  Your son is more of a man than 75% of ARFCOM.
View Quote

This ^^

and i'm in the 75% who freezes/jumps/screams like a girl
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ah.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Juvie Yellow Rat

I agree.
Ah.  

I was fooled by the juvenile pattern.
It's a juvie yellow rat.  They have stupid patterns when they are babies, and I haven't seen one this big with the kid pattern before.  

The water snakes have red in them and the block pattern extends down to their bottom scales.  This one's block pattern is only on his back, and ends where his longitudinal stripes will be after his next molt or so.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I must say, that right there is a handsome snake.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?

We apparently have a breeding population on my lot.  A couple months back I got to watch one with that same coloration climb a pine tree.  I have never before seen such a thing, but I have now.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#19]
The easiest way to know it's not a water snake is that it isn't biting and musking
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#20]
All the garter snake and water snake people crack me up.  

It's clearly not a water OR garter snake.  

It's a rat snake.  If it was a water or garter snake it would look rougher and be shitting all over the kid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just about to say...... someone slept through the reptile class in Florida Phase !!

class 05-01

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I know, right?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?  

We apparently have a breeding population on my lot.  A couple months back I got to watch one with that same coloration climb a pine tree.  I have never before seen such a thing, but I have now.  
I'm glad you posted it.  Not that often that I learn something new about snakes.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know, right?  

I'm glad you posted it.  Not that often that I learn something new about snakes.  
FWIW, the tree was a Southern Yellow Pine.  It had that blocky bark that looks like it should fall off but does not.  That snake went "straight up", but kinked his body to catch on each chunk of bark as he went.  

It was a bizarre thing to behold.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?  

FWIW, the tree was a Southern Yellow Pine.  It had that blocky bark that looks like it should fall off but does not.  That snake went "straight up", but kinked his body to catch on each chunk of bark as he went.    

Quite a few species of southern yellow pine, but most have that type of bark.  It's what makes them resistant to fire.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?  

Quite a few species of southern yellow pine, but most have that type of bark.  It's what makes them resistant to fire.  
Not in the Okeefenokee swamp they ain't! That thing burned half the time I lived in GA.......yes I know I spelled t wrong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?  

Not in the Okeefenokee swamp they ain't! That thing burned half the time I lived in GA.......yes I know I spelled t wrong.
We burn under loblolly and long leaf pine all the time.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.....I have just seen a lot of them torched in the swamp there....not trying to invalidate your statement.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Got yerself an immature rat snake there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.....I have just seen a lot of them torched in the swamp there....not trying to invalidate your statement.
Remember resistant doesn't mean immune.  Get a hot out of control wildlife and a build up of fuel then everything will burn.  However, the southern pine ecosystem is greatly dependent on fire, both for timber management, and for wildlife.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
And for the win...

NOT a garter snake
NOT a water snake
NOT a yellow rat snake

What you have there is a RAT SNAKE, most likely an intergrade between a black and gray rat snake.

And as a herpetologist, I can tell you that in general, I HATE RANGE MAPS for species, that said, here is the range map for rat snakes in GA.

dark= gray
midcolor= intergrade
light= black

Most yellow rats are found in coastal regions, and with species cross breeding, you get quite a soup of DNA possibilities.

Finally, as others have already indicated, it's good to have around and completely harmless to humans, baring of course the wuss's who should have their man card revoked for screaming every time they catch a glimpse of a garden hose.... and you know who you are
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Black Mamba. You're already dead, OP.

Dibs on everything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Grey Rat Snake?
View Quote

it is a Rat Snake of some sort I think.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Congratulations!  Your son is more of a man than 75% of ARFCOM.
View Quote
I was going to post this.  

Confiscate the Man Card from one of the guys here who is clutching his skirt and squealing that all snakes should be killed, and give it to the boy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:58:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That top picture looks a lot like my front lawn!  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top