[#1]
i was going to say gatlinburg :( i liked that place and i will go back again
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walland, Townsend,Wears Valley.

Anywhere along 73/321 hwy.

Way less traffic and only 20 minuites or so from the tourist traps if you want to head that direction.

Ditto - Townsend is very near Cade's Cove, and is not a tourist trap, Wears Valley is nice too.

Also the road to PF-GB is not heavily travelled and comes out right in PF. Go the other way on 321 a  little ways and you get into Maryville, where I live. It's laid back, has a great Blues bar on Broadway if you like live Blues. Have players there often on weeknights too, they have a web site with the schedule.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Copperhill TN is a very quaint town just north of the GA line in the mountains. It was home to the 1994 kayak games.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what town for you to stay in other than the Pisgah Inn (excellent by the way), but definitely go by Clyde, NC.  There is a mil-surplus dealer there that no one on Arfcom knows about.  

Have Fun!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go to Helen, GA.  There is plenty to do in the area and it is not too far from the majority of the white water rivers in the area.    

One of our favorite areas.  We have been going there since the mid 70's.  UInfortunately it is turning too touristy now, but  some of the German food is fantastic.  

We ;like to get a cabin at Unicoi park and have also stayed at Creekwood Resort cabins, very nice.    I did consider Smithgall Woods State Park, again just outside Helen, but it only has 5 cabins and is a bit pricy, but very nice.  We hiked one of their trails last year while another part of the park was closed to hikers because a bear hunt was going on at the time.

There are quite a few nice parks  fron Dalton across the N Ga mountains  to Moccasin Creek near Clayton., and then it's a quick run up to Higllands, NC.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walland, Townsend,Wears Valley.

Anywhere along 73/321 hwy.

Way less traffic and only 20 minuites or so from the tourist traps if you want to head that direction.

Ditto - Townsend is very near Cade's Cove, and is not a tourist trap, Wears Valley is nice too.

Yep,Also Marysville,Canton,

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm kinda partial to Pigeon Forge.  I like it there since it's between G'burg and smokey Mtn Knife works.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been to gatlinburg and don't really want to go back there again.  I want to whitewater raft and do a little hiking and maybe mountain biking.  The girlfriend is yapping about asheville, n.c. but it looked a little boring from their websites.  Any suggestions?

The only thing I liked about our trip to Gatlinburg was the Smokey Mountain Knife Works.  Awesome store!

Traffic was nearly unbearable, though.  We won't go back, unless it is in off season (and there really isn't one, anymore).

The area around Cashiers, NC is really nice, and might have most of the outdoor activities you are looking for, OP.

I rappel Whitesides Mountain. Cashiers/Highlands is a really beautiful area.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go to Helen, GA.  There is plenty to do in the area and it is not too far from the majority of the white water rivers in the area.    

This!!!  as someone who visited the smoky mountains about once a year for 15 years this was the best place I stayed at

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
We stayed in Waynesville, but that was over 10 years ago.  Nice enough back then in October.  Don't know what it's like now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know what town for you to stay in other than the Pisgah Inn (excellent by the way), but definitely go by Clyde, NC.  There is a mil-surplus dealer there that no one on Arfcom knows about.  

Have Fun!!!!

I know about him.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to go to Gburg monthly, friend had houses. I stay in Wears Valley or Townsend now, laid back, not busy. May check out N. GA next. My mom lives in Elijay, need to see her new house there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Pigeon Forge is the biggest tourist hell ever .   When I was up there looking for peace and quiet we found it full of a dress like a pirate convention with obnoxiously loud Harley-Ferguson motorcycles equipped with loud stereos to boot . It was like a woods version of a ghetto missing a few gold teeth.  Franklin NC , Copperhill TN. and what ever the town is at the east end of the tail are all better places to stay.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top