User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The M&P is over 15 years old.

Glock gen 4 is what, 5-6 years old?

How much longer until Glock comes out with a new Glock for "perfection"?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another reason to buy a Glock

There are more aftermarket "improvement" parts for a Glock than M&P

And the Glock has been on the market....what...several decades longer than the M&P?

The M&P is over 15 years old.

Glock gen 4 is what, 5-6 years old?

How much longer until Glock comes out with a new Glock for "perfection"?

Okay, we get it, Glocks aren't perfect.  But they are pretty damn good pistols.  Can we move on now?

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

M&P 10 is ugly as sin. Carbine gas system and looks like 2ft of pencil barrel sticking out.

Reminds me of those fat bitches you see that have a huge gut and really thin legs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
eh... my BIL got an M&P 10 and it couldn't have been a bigger piece of shit.. the only reason it works is b/c he changed out EVERYTHING except the receivers..

oh well.. looks like i won't have to worry about trying out any M&P products soon... fuck em...

M&P 10?

yeah, smith and wesson AR 10.. they call it an M&P 10

M&P 10 is ugly as sin. Carbine gas system and looks like 2ft of pencil barrel sticking out.

Reminds me of those fat bitches you see that have a huge gut and really thin legs.

oh yeah it's a [piece of shit,the only reason it works now is b/c he changed fucking everything on it
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny how the nature of this story changed so drastically in less than 2 pages.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I changed the OP and I think I'm understanding this now. It looks like Smith and Wesson have good reason to issue this cease and desist for that particular gun, and are not asking them to stop modifying customers guns. Have I got all this right?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Those performance center shields probably aren't selling as well as they hoped.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
S&W is an Arfcom site sponser, why not ask them about this in their forum here and see what happens???

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/551_Smith_andamp__Wesson.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

so should they sue boresight solutions? salient arms? ATI? zev? (or it think zev only does glocks)

again, unless there's a clause when buying an m&p that says you cannot resell this after purchase, i think the cease and desist letter is bullshit..

also lol @ S&W geting blasted on their instagram page
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plot thickens..... S&W "M&P Dream Gun" offered with altered parts and still exhibiting the S&W and M&P trade marks...

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1934597_10204099808133979_4312216293917758907_n.jpg?oh=d6fb300a561bdee6dc4e2dfec65490de&oe=570D8406

They are selling a new pistol that they alter as a smith....... This actually probably is a direct violation of US trademark/patent law and Smith isn't really saying much about personally owned weapons modified after it seems. Or maybe this is only part of their grievance.

So you can modify and resell to your heart's content, but you can't leave the logo intact? I could see if the slide was aftermarket and they added the logo...

So if a aftermarket performance car places buys a mustang and modifies it, they also need to pull off the hood ornament?

If they're trying to sell it as new without factory authorization, yes.

Perfect examples would be Ruf, Alpina, Brabus...

Exactly.  

If this is actually the intent of the letter, I have zero problem with S&W protecting their brand/IP.  

so should they sue boresight solutions? salient arms? ATI? zev? (or it think zev only does glocks)

again, unless there's a clause when buying an m&p that says you cannot resell this after purchase, i think the cease and desist letter is bullshit..

why would they? None of them are branding a new gun as a M&P.

Hell, ZEV even completely renamed their frames to avoid such issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Funny how the nature of this story changed so drastically in less than 2 pages.
View Quote

The nice thing about ARFCOM is that I probably wouldn't have been able to find out this info on my own. People here are way better internet detectives than I am.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, I changed the OP and I think I'm understanding this now. It looks like Smith and Wesson have good reason to issue this cease and desist for that particular gun, and are not asking them to stop modifying customers guns. Have I got all this right?
View Quote

this appears to be the case here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

why would they? None of them are branding a new gun as a M&P.

Hell, ZEV even completely renamed their frames to avoid such issues.
View Quote

Exactly.  There's a "proper" way to do this sort of thing.

Only mention of GLOCK is talking about the magazines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I've read so far, the above seems correct.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell you can build a complete glock without a single glock part.

Or at least you could when CCF raceframes was round.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to wait until this proves to be real until I break out the torch and pitchfork.  A move like this from S&W makes zero sense... and they have been making pretty good decisions the last few years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That will not go as planned for S&W

Nope.

Stupid.

wrong, Smith is in the right here and I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still can.

But if you do, and call them Glocks and GLOCK is stamped on the side, the shovelmaker's lawyers are gonna want to chat with you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.

Keep reading.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plot thickens..... S&W "M&P Dream Gun" offered with altered parts and still exhibiting the S&W and M&P trade marks...

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1934597_10204099808133979_4312216293917758907_n.jpg?oh=d6fb300a561bdee6dc4e2dfec65490de&oe=570D8406

They are selling a new pistol that they alter as a smith....... This actually probably is a direct violation of US trademark/patent law and Smith isn't really saying much about personally owned weapons modified after it seems. Or maybe this is only part of their grievance.

So you can modify and resell to your heart's content, but you can't leave the logo intact? I could see if the slide was aftermarket and they added the logo...

So if a aftermarket performance car places buys a mustang and modifies it, they also need to pull off the hood ornament?

If they're trying to sell it as new without factory authorization, yes.

Perfect examples would be Ruf, Alpina, Brabus...

Exactly.  

If this is actually the intent of the letter, I have zero problem with S&W protecting their brand/IP.  

If the winner had to purchase the M&P stock then got the work done for free by the named parties it would be same as boresight/salient
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.

It actually looks like SSVI and Blown Deadline are being dishonest in their instagram posts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop making shitty handguns that people don't need to fix right out of the box. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson is one of the few companies that has seen a lot of growth and profits, and that's because of the M&P line.

Why would they do this?

This is retarded.
View Quote

Indeed . . .

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe someone needs to enlighten the masses on SSVI's facebook...?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]

I guess I should be used to it by now....

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That is not an end user modification. But reading is hard, those companies buy guns, modify them. Then sell them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is not an end user modification. But reading is hard, those companies buy guns, modify them. Then sell them.

I work in marketing and think this is the key fact.

If these companies are modding brand new guns, then passing them off as still new or at least OEM backed, that would be a problem. The custom shop's use of the phrase 'M&P Dream Gun' implies it is factory made or authorized.

Possible situation: If the end user has a broken slide or gets harmed by these mods, the first thing their insurance company or lawyer is going to do is look to see who is the manufacturer of record is - aka the name on the side, then try to tap into that manufacturer's insurance company.

Also, many companies try to prevent unauthorized uses of their logo.

A trademark must be defended to be protected.

I don't see how Smith is the bad guy. Let's get more facts.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If these companies are modding brand new guns, then passing them off as still new or at least OEM backed, that would be a problem. Possible situation: If the end user has a broken slide or gets harmed by these mods, the first thing their insurance company or lawyer is going to do is look to see who is the manufacturer of record is - aka the name on the side, then try to tap into that manufacturer's insurance company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If these companies are modding brand new guns, then passing them off as still new or at least OEM backed, that would be a problem. Possible situation: If the end user has a broken slide or gets harmed by these mods, the first thing their insurance company or lawyer is going to do is look to see who is the manufacturer of record is - aka the name on the side, then try to tap into that manufacturer's insurance company.

Read the my edits to the OP. We're ahead of you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You still can.

But if you do, and call them Glocks and GLOCK is stamped on the side, the shovelmaker's lawyers are gonna want to chat with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still can.

Right.  Not disagreeing with S&W.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I see why S&W would have sent the letter, based solely on what the letter says.  I also think both of these parties will have interesting arguments based on the detailed facts in this case.  It should get settled without litigation if everyone is smart.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If these companies are modding brand new guns, then passing them off as still new or at least OEM backed, that would be a problem. The custom shop's use of the phrase 'M&P Dream Gun' implies it is factory made or authorized.

Possible situation: If the end user has a broken slide or gets harmed by these mods, the first thing their insurance company or lawyer is going to do is look to see who is the manufacturer of record is - aka the name on the side, then try to tap into that manufacturer's insurance company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smith sure doesn't seem to be.  Unless you always buy the "little guy bullied by the big guy" story, in which case you're probably a Bernie fan as well.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I will be in the EE, waiting for the fire sale on all these M&P's all you purse swinging handwringers are getting ready to sell.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#31]
salient markets all their guns using the companies original name, 'salient benelli' 'salient glock' 'salient m&p'....

i don't feel like apex/brownells/ssvi is trying to get one over on consumers...

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like S&W wants a piece of the aftermarket pie - they're probably trying to coerce a licensing deal.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
salient markets all their guns using the companies original name, 'salient benelli' 'salient glock' 'salient m&p'....

View Quote

Yup... This is odd
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So if I follow S&W's line of thinking, I cannot buy a car and modify it to increase horsepower.  Or buy a pickup and increase ground clearance.  And technically, taking the shitty OEM tires off and being better rubber would be forbidden too.  The soooo much retard in this lawsuit
View Quote

There is some talk about just that. Trying to use the DRMC because of code in car computers and even tractors.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#35]
A chevy is still a chevy till you change the frame, then it' something else.

Edit: More importantly, what does the ATF say the pistol is when you fill out those stupid yellow forms?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It actually looks like SSVI and Blown Deadline are being dishonest in their instagram posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.

Who would have thought, with such a classy "response" on his instagram post
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link to whole letter???
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think they are either. I don't think they intended for people to think their collaboration dream gun was a factory Smith.

However, the posts on Instagram by SSVI and Blown Deadline sure do seem to be intentionally misleading about the nature of the letter from Smith.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.

They both seem like a couple of douche bags. This isn't the first time blowndeadline has made a huge drama fest on Instagram over his "haters"
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Never heard of half these people.   Looks like a bunch of Facespace inkies who paint guns for a living.

I think I'll wait to fire up the Outrage Engine until more info leaks out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#42]
The only reason the M&P is even shootable is the availability of aftermarket trigger parts.

S&W can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Well time to sell the M&P and get a CZ carry gun. Fuck S&W right in the butthole for being bitches.
View Quote
One positive of CZ is that CZ Custom is hooked up with them so much that they give custom guns from CZ Custom factory SKU's.  CZ actually listens to what the end user wants (see Scorpion EVO carbine coming out next year).

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's an FYI for people who don't understand what you have to do to protect trademarks:
http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/LossofTrademarkRightsFactSheet.aspx

Rights in a trademark can be lost through the action or inaction of the trademark’s owner. The most common way to lose rights in a mark is to stop using the mark with no intention to use it again. This is called “abandonment.”

However, trademark rights can also be lost unintentionally. For example, in some countries, it is possible to lose rights in a mark by allowing third parties to use the mark without controlling how it is used. This can include failing to control the nature and quality of the goods and/or services offered under the mark by the third party. Such failure to control often is referred to as “naked licensing.” Rights may also be lost if the trademark owner or third parties use the mark improperly, so that it ceases to indicate the source of goods or services and becomes a generic term. For example, escalator and cellophane originally were trademarks in the United States but, as a result of improper use, eventually they became generic names of the products for which they had been used as brands. The determination of whether a mark has become generic can vary from country to country; such is the case with aspirin, which is a generic term in the United States but a protectable trademark in Canada and Germany.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

FSW
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

Stupid.

I know Damon personally.  He is good people; he is a combat vet and a legit Pipe Hitter operator.  He does not sugar coat or kow-tow to anything PC.  He says it like it is.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not the first time S&W went full tard.

Also, I would have bought 2-3 S&W revolvers by now if not for that stupid fucking lock hole on the left side.

This turns out to be true they can eat a bag of Wookie dicks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I now have no idea whats going on
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top