Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
When i was a young fellow I'd sleep in the bed of my Nissan in hunting camp. Bed was 2" thick roll of foam and a surplus military mummy bag.. No bed cover like you have, but i made a bridge over the bed from old tent poles. A tarp was stretched over that bridge, the cab and bungeed down.  Slept like a baby in that rig.

Under that bed cover, it'd be a tad close, but would work. Don't know if i could get sleep in a Walmart parking lot. If you got camping gear, just find a state park enroute. Those usually don't charge that much.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hotels can be a lot of money for some people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever heard of a hotel?

Who takes their family on a vacation and sleeps in the vehicle?

Hotels can be a lot of money for some people.

Not to mention the risk of bringing new pets (ie: bedbugs) home with you..
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Dozens and dozens of times. My cozy stealth coffin. The most comfortable are the thick trifold mattresses, but the inflatable ones work fine too. Stays nice and warm in the winter too. Always park slightly down hill or flat and keep your head toward the tailgate so you can get fresh air from the tailgate.

When you're hunting up in the woods getting up before first light (which is like 4am last month for Spring turkey), it's soooo much more convenient than setting up and taking down a tent or driving an hour in to town and paying for a hotel to sleep a few hours.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Walmart is a magnet for the dregs of society..  Let's check this truck cab,no one in it,. Let's tear this cheap ass cover off the bed and see what's in it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My daughter and I have done it when out camping in the desert. I’m over 6’ and I have a 5.5’ bed on a Tacoma TRD Pro. So we just left the gate down. The bed has one of those rubberized mats so it was pretty comfortable with a self inflating mat and the sleeping bag. It was like 40mph wind so we parked into the wind blocking most of what came at us. Our heads were out the back on the gate so we could see the stars.  I draped another blanket over the cover to keep the wind off our faces. We slept pretty damn good and didn’t have to worry about snakes and scorpions snuggling up with us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on how your cover is attached you may be able to make a vent near the window to allow circulation and less of a claustrophobic feeling. Mine is the fold up version that screws tight with hardware. It allows me to move it around.
Gator cover is the brand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I've tried it, quickly got way too hot for me
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep. I’ve got a Bedrug in the back of my truck with a Bakflip MX4. Sleeps pretty well with the tailgate down. I haven’t tried it completely closed up
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have. You better have some sort of pad to put down, that corrugated bed floor is a bitch.
View Quote

I'd want a sheet of plywood and a pad. A pad alone won't make a corrugated truck bed comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I have. It works. Very hot at times and you'll also need a mat.

Nowadays I prefer a hammock if the weather is warm enough and location permits. Get a model with a zipper close bug net and secure a lightweight tarp over you. Good tree straps are a must too.

I realize this is not applicable to sleeping in a WM parking lot but if there is a park with camping nearby it is a much better option.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Depending on how your cover is attached you may be able to make a vent near the window to allow circulation and less of a claustrophobic feeling. Mine is the fold up version that screws tight with hardware. It allows me to move it around.
Gator cover is the brand.
View Quote

I have a 6.5 bed and it easily fits me with the tailgate closed and a decent amount of air is allowed in through the tailgate gaps and I like the stealth aspect of that, but warmer nights would definitely be more comfortable with the tailgate down.

I have a hard tonneau. Currently the diamondback. I have  propped the cover up before with a flashlight to allow an inch or so to breathe which also worked well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have. You better have some sort of pad to put down, that corrugated bed floor is a bitch.
View Quote

Done it. I toss a piece of 1/4 inch plywood down to even it out.

It's actually not too bad.

Mine is actually a 1 piece lid so I wedge it open with a shoe or something to allow for air flow
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I've done it a few times. It works.
I had a strap around the tail gate to close myself in and could pop up the back, reach out and get to the tailgate latch easily in the morning.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top