Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2019 9:09:31 PM EDT
Singapore's next-generation Hunter armoured fighting vehicle breaks cover

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) has revealed fresh details of its latest Hunter tracked armoured fighting vehicle (AFV), its first armoured combat platform equipped with an anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) capability. The new vehicle was commissioned into service during the Singapore Army armour formation's 50th anniversary parade on 11 June.

The 29.5 tonne Hunter AFV - earlier known as the Next-Generation Armoured Fighting Vehicle (NGAFV) prior to its commissioning - will replace the army's upgraded but ageing M113A2 Ultra armoured personnel carriers (APCs) which entered service from the 1970s and will operate alongside the in-service Bionix II infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs). The new vehicle has been under development by Singapore's Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) in partnership with ST Engineering Land Systems since 2006.

BG Yew said that the formation will train a core group of regulars and instructors this year, before starting training for full-time national servicemen and rolling out the vehicle for the 42nd Battalion, Singapore Armoured Regiment next year.

"Not only do we see an enhanced capability and lethality in the Hunter AFV, we see enhancements to our operations and maintenance. Especially so when the vehicle is able to actively track and monitor its own status," said Major Brandon Lim, 33, a weapon staff officer involved in the Hunter programme.

Algorithms can be used for predictive maintenance, increasing the efficiency of vehicle maintenance and management.

The new Samson 30 heavy remote weapon station (RWS) developed by Israel's Rafael Advanced Defense Systems in place of the ST Engineering Land Systems Adder M30 RWS that is typically seen fitted to the vehicle.

The Samson 30 is understood to be a derivative of the Samson Mk II dual-axis gyro-stabilised, dual-sight RWS that incorporates several refinements to the original design, including a low-profile silhouette and recessed 76 mm smoke grenade launchers arranged in a 4×2 configuration on either side of the gun mantlet.

The Samson 30 RWS seen in the image is armed with the Orbital ATK 30 mm Mk44 Bushmaster II automatic cannon - which can engage medium-weight armoured vehicles at a range of 2,000 m and unarmoured targets to ranges of 4,000 m and also fitted to the army's tracked Bionix II infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) - as well as a co-axial 7.62 mm machine gun. According to Rafael, the RWS can carry up to 230 rounds of ammunition for the automatic cannon and 500 rounds for the co-axial machine gun.

The weapon can also be traversed 360° and elevated between -20° to 70°, a feature designed to improve operational flexibility in tight urban environments and enables the vehicle to engage threats taking cover in buildings.

A highlight of the RWS is the anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) launcher that can be installed on its left side, which is positioned horizontally and retracted under armour protection during travel and raised when preparing to fire its two ATGMs.

Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems cool
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Few sloped surfaces.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Tiny little gun seems right for them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I always wanted a fighting vehicle with AC and free WiFi.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Few sloped surfaces.
View Quote
Shot traps haven't been a thing since the 1950s tho
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Few sloped surfaces.
View Quote
You arent slopping your way into defeating heat rounds. Internal volume is far more important for an ifv.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Kind of neat.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Bradley's love child with a BMP?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of rivets or bolt heads on the outside.  Reminds me of Japanese light tanks in WWII.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It's far too nice to risk in combat.

Not that Singapore engages frequently in combat ops.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol.......BRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttt
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks nice and the graphics are cool. Other than that I know nothing and am tagging this thread to learn more from smart people.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I could be biased because my experience is with a pretty bare-bones vehicle where the closest thing to computers was the gunners thermal and the radio, but I have some doubts about the real-world viability of ground vehicles that are this heavily dependent on computers.

I get that they're able to make it work with fighter jets, but fighter jets aren't driving through mud and sand.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Only 30mm?  Seriously.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool looking
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Now Singapore can into Anschluss.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Pentagon Wars - Bradley Fighting Vehicle Evolution

"The men will have to wear the missiles as hats".
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The specs on the chart are wrong.  I am pretty sure that the average soldier is taller than 1.7 meters.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I will take one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bradley's love child with a BMP?
View Quote
Yup.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd drive it down I35
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The specs on the chart are wrong.  I am pretty sure that the average soldier is taller than 1.7 meters.
View Quote
We are talking about Singapore here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Few sloped surfaces.
View Quote
No worries, itll never see action anyways.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Few sloped surfaces.
View Quote
Warning issued
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The slopes are inside.
View Quote
I see what you have done there.

I have been to Singapore.  The one photo where they show lots of tree's must of been the only spot in Singapore that they had tree's that wasn't on some sort of mountain.

Love the city.. but having hardly any "Nature" outside of the seaport sucked.

Have to go to Malaysia to enjoy the wilderness.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The slopes are inside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Few sloped surfaces.
The slopes are inside.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I could be biased because my experience is with a pretty bare-bones vehicle where the closest thing to computers was the gunners thermal and the radio, but I have some doubts about the real-world viability of ground vehicles that are this heavily dependent on computers.

I get that they're able to make it work with fighter jets, but fighter jets aren't driving through mud and sand.
View Quote
Hopefully, Windows won't force an update during a critical battle moment.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#28]
A whole 500 rounds for the coax? What a joke that is. Looks like they just fancied up a vehicle they already owned/manufactured.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's coming anyway, the tech will only move forward. Eventually everything will either be straight drones/AI driven or we'll be plugging ourselves into it.

And even if it's not 100% hard core survive anything ruggedized I'm sure it's fine for Singapore.

Singapores military strategy is built around -
  1. Deterrence. This is first and foremost as a military goal for Singapore.
  2. Rapid and highly effective response to incursion in primarily urban environments should number 1 fail.

At the end of the day Singapores military is set up to deter first, and if military deterrence and political diplomacy fails they're there simply to defend the government and population clusters until allied nations can offer assistance.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh Lord.  Singapore....

They are a pain in my ass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Serious question:

Why bother?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#32]
That will work
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You shouldve seen the argument here about whether or not an active suspension for tanks was a good idea..lol
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks nice and the graphics are cool. Other than that I know nothing and am tagging this thread to learn more from smart people.
View Quote
This.
Cool post OP with great info
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Genuine question from a non-tanker - why are the smoke grenade launchers still a thing?

Wouldn’t driving as fast as you can be a better deterrent against rpg’s?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tiny little gun seems right for them.
View Quote
That has a larger main gun then our bradley.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Armor looks thin...  Looking at the holes and most joints it’s 1/8”-1/4” thick...

Also formed/bent panels...  It’s called armor plate for a reason.  Most must be welded, bolted, forge or cast.  Even if it is heat treated after bends are made it still not as strong...
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Genuine question from a non-tanker - why are the smoke grenade launchers still a thing?

Wouldn’t driving as fast as you can be a better deterrent against rpg’s?
View Quote
Mobilty kill and quickly dismounting troops ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Few sloped surfaces.
View Quote
I noticed that
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
The cameras are neat, but easily defeatable for anyone willing to give it a go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Damn, 3.4m tall...that's going to be an easy target. Tracked? Why the hell go tracks instead of wheels?
I thought the Stryker was pants on head retarded, but this looks like a modernized M113.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:28:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn, 3.4m tall...that's going to be an easy target. Tracked? Why the hell go tracks instead of wheels?
I thought the Stryker was pants on head retarded, but this looks like a modernized M113.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, according to the press release, it is supposed to be the replacement for the old M113s that are still in service.

Seems to be the mentality that armor units use tracked vehicles, infantry wheels.

And we've already got our own version of the Stryker in use by the Infantry formations.

The Hunter is a next generation drive-by-wire tracked AFV that will replace Singapore Army M-113 armoured personnel carriers. The Hunter was designed and made in Singapore by the Singapore Army weapons staff, Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA) and ST Engineering Land Systems. The project began in 2006 with the aim of delivering a digitised AFV with enhanced capabilities for the next generation army. Several prototypes were developed before the final design freeze. Hunter was commissioned into service on 11 June 2019 by Minister for Defence, Dr Ng Eng Hen, at the 50th anniversary parade of the Singapore Army Armour formation. As of 11 June 2019, five variants were announced. These variants are Combat, Command, Bridgelayer, Recovery and Armoured Engineer.

There's still the Bionix in service

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
"The men will have to wear the missiles as hats".
View Quote
But the joke's on them. The Bradley served with distinction during the Gulf War.

It was viciously attacked by NYC media talking heads for almost the entire decade of the 1980's. And when it did so well in Iraq, not a peep. All those assholes were wrong.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:21:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Needs portholes
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks to this thread, I’ve learned that a 30mm gun is too small, even though it’s bigger than the 25mm gun on a Bradley and the same caliber as the oft-loved gun on the A-10.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well, according to the press release, it is supposed to be the replacement for the old M113s that are still in service.

Seems to be the mentality that armor units use tracked vehicles, infantry wheels.

And we've already got our own version of the Stryker in use by the Infantry formations.

https://i.imgur.com/9zKzvhi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T4U6LKb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/k0rITGM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cVJWUzA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1MWGHEB.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/9zKzvhi.jpg

The Hunter is a next generation drive-by-wire tracked AFV that will replace Singapore Army M-113 armoured personnel carriers. The Hunter was designed and made in Singapore by the Singapore Army weapons staff, Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA) and ST Engineering Land Systems. The project began in 2006 with the aim of delivering a digitised AFV with enhanced capabilities for the next generation army. Several prototypes were developed before the final design freeze. Hunter was commissioned into service on 11 June 2019 by Minister for Defence, Dr Ng Eng Hen, at the 50th anniversary parade of the Singapore Army Armour formation. As of 11 June 2019, five variants were announced. These variants are Combat, Command, Bridgelayer, Recovery and Armoured Engineer.
https://i.imgur.com/T4U6LKb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/k0rITGM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cVJWUzA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1MWGHEB.jpg
United Defense (back when they were still a thing) had done a lot of internal research on tracks versus wheels. IIRC, they determined that the 20 ton range was about the magic point tracks became superior, with a bit of overlap between 19-21 tons there where it could go either way.

At nearly 30 tons, these would be well past that overlap range.

The Stryker is less than 20 tons. Completely different animal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

United Defense (back when they were still a thing) had done a lot of internal research on tracks versus wheels. IIRC, they determined that the 20 ton range was about the magic point tracks became superior, with a bit of overlap between 19-21 tons there where it could go either way.

At nearly 30 tons, these would be well passed that overlap range.

The Stryker is less than 20 tons. Completely different animal.
View Quote
Ah, missed the part about the weight. Yes, at 30 tons, tracked is the way to go. I'm more inclined to go for lighter armor, faster moving IFV's. You aren't going up against MBT's with an IFV (I know of a few occasions where it happened in Angola and the IFV's won, but only because they could move faster than the shitty 2stroke turret motor could turn the turret) and I don't think any armor on the field will stand up to ATGM's currently being used.
This IFV just seems to want to do too many different things to where it's not good at anything. Time will tell, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Are those M113 hulls that they just recycled with a bolt on kit of some kind?

Kinda looks like it to me, but I didn’t sleep in an Armored Inn Express last night, so I’ll defer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Why does an urban Island nation need such a machine?

If they want it good for them but who are they fighting?

& with no amphibious capability it seems stupid to build it for an island nation.

As usual I'm sure these questions seem dumb to those in the know. - but this is Singapore

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why does an urban Island nation need such a machine?

If they want it good for them but who are they fighting?

& with no amphibious capability it seems stupid to build it for an island nation.

As usual I'm sure these questions seem dumb to those in the know. - but this is Singapore

https://geology.com/world/singapore-map.gif
View Quote
I suspect for the export market. I can't see it being any use in any kind of fight on the island.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top