Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:08:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2007 10:11:59 PM EDT by TxGunner]

Originally Posted By 87gn:

Originally Posted By TxGunner:

Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:

English will be spoken at all times.
Speaking any other language means no sale.

That's nice.

So if my grandfather, who used to take me to gun shows when I was a child, were to speak Spanish in front of this dealer, he would not be permitted to buy a gun from him?

Luckily for my grandfather, the US Navy wasn't so picky, and he was allowed to serve his country in the Korean war.

It is the dealer's absolute right to decline service to someone, anyone, he wants. Countries run by tyrants may have other policies. Check with them.

That may be true, but denying service to someone who is here legally and happens to be bilingual is rather stupid, in my humble opinion.

Stupid, but within their rights. I never said it wasn't stupid. Would you like to legislate said stupidity?

No, that wasn't my point at all. While a few people xenophobes may give him extra business for it, I have a feeling that others might be driven away. That's the magic of capitalism - your business may fail because you are a moron.

Agreed. Such is their right, and what makes this country America.

That, and the English language.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:15:09 PM EDT
NOT racist and perfectly admirable policy of the op's dealer. +$50 guy can huff putrid moldy donkey nutsacks. I am fucking pissed I tried to speak spanish when I went to mexico on vacation, cuz they MOVE here and refuse to learn the local lingo. Bienvenidos al ciudad del Toro MS-13!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:16:29 PM EDT

Hey, believe me, I'm all for English as the official language.

I just don't think anyone should be penalized for overachieving and learning TWO whole languages.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:20:45 PM EDT
Wow this thread went bad fast. IMHO if you come up to me and I can barely understand what you are trying to say im not going to sell you a gun. Period.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:30:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2007 10:37:29 PM EDT by TxGunner]

Hey, believe me, I'm all for English as the official language.

I just don't think anyone should be penalized for overachieving and learning TWO whole languages.

Cool. The businessman is allowed his own policy. Again, we agreed the business owner's policy should be his own for his own detriment or gain.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:43:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By webtaz99:
There's a difference between being "racial" and being provincial.
And until we all speak one language, some people (myself) will prefer the one they learned first.

Umm, how do we all speak one language in this country if we do not?

Maybe I'm missing your point. Could you clarify?

I meant "we all" as in human beings.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:58:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By opti12206:
I think it is hilarious and perfectly understandable.

teh second post is the best post.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:59:19 PM EDT

There's a difference between being "racial" and being provincial.
And until we all speak one language, some people (myself) will prefer the one they learned first.

Umm, how do we all speak one language in this country if we do not?

Maybe I'm missing your point. Could you clarify?

I meant "we all" as in human beings.

Okay...
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:16:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2007 12:07:44 AM EDT by acarnes83]
That sign is both totally reasonable, and unreasonable at the same time. It is reasonable, in that what it is trying to accomplish is good. The guy wants people to be able to speak English, and they will only do so if not doing so causes them some inconvenience. It is, however, unreasonable in that there are many legal, bi-lingual immigrants in this country. You are always most comfortable speaking your native language, you think in your native language, and there are things you might want to convey that can only be conveyed in your native tongue. On the other hand, I am a native born American, my family has been in this country since before the Revolutionary War. However, my sister and I both studied Japanese high school, and speak it to each over with frequency and fluency. There are many times we will speak Japanese in public so that bystanders don't understand what we are saying. I, a native born American, whose family has shed blood in every American war from the Revolution to WWII, should not be denied service because I chose to talk to someone in another language.

That being said, I think English should be the official language. Beyond that, I think English should be the ONLY language, insofar as government printed literature, forms, pamphlets, etc are concerned.

I have no problem with people immigrating to the United States. However, if they desire to live here and be a productive part of society, they should plan ahead and learn enough English to get by.

When people want to come here to go to school, nine times out of ten they must take the TOEFL (test of English as a foreign language) to make sure they can communicate in, and understand English at an acceptable level.

If this is considered acceptable for those who simply want to come here temporarily for school, why is not acceptable to expect the same of those who would come here permanently?

So, as stated before, I both agree and disagree with the sign.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:43:30 PM EDT
I notice on this forum that there is a hyper-sensitivity to any perceived racism.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:53:07 PM EDT
that sign is fucking bullshit. i wouldn't sell a gun to an englishman. just last week we had an illegal immigrant from the uk running around with a gun in glacier park.

if you want to buy a gun you better be speaking american goddamnit!

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2007 11:57:24 PM EDT by EricX]
ENGLISH MUTHER FUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Post up who the turd was charging $50 for a NICS delay so we can avoid doing business with the assclown!
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:56:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By geegee:
There was a guy selling T-Shirts at the Ft Worth gunshow today that had the old recruiting poster with Uncle Sam in a top hat, and pointing. The caption on the top of the shirt said "I Want You," and the bottom said "To Speak English."

I saw those, along with some sticker company on the back wall selling similar sayings as well.

I'm willing to bet 99% of the members (give/take 1%) on this site are racist anyways. You may not think that way and may not believe it, but I'm willing to bet on that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:02:36 AM EDT
I can see it now...

Customer: Do you mind if I pick up this Beretta?
Dealer: HEY, GET OUT OF HERE YOU ITALIAN SPEAKING SON OF A BITCH!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:05:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By acarnes83:
snip...

You are always most comfortable speaking your native language, you think in your native language, and there are things you might want to convey that can only be conveyed in your native tongue.

There is growing evidence that the human brain has a "built in" capacity for language that is purely symbolic - a symbolic processor. When we "learn" a language, we make a "map" which relates that language to our built in symbolic processor. Evidence for this can be found in several places. For instance, deaf babies born to (both) deaf parents "babble" in sign language, because their symbolic processor latches on to the "language" around them even though it's sign language. Also, when two languages are mixed in an informal way, the result is called a "polyglot". There are hundreds of polyglots all over the world, and they all have the same grammar and syntax.

One day we will understand how our built in symbolic processor works, and then we can "design" a world language that is best suited for how our brains work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:07:09 AM EDT
Good for him, we speak English here in America.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:07:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
On a vendors table

Talked to someone else, they thought it was racist.
I think it was more an attempt to stop straw purchases by/for illegal aliens.

Has nothing to do with race.
For example, I love Italians, but you can bet it would be a pain in the ass for me to try to sell a gun to a guy that only speaks Italian.
If you can't speak the dominant language in this country then why should I have to go through to trouble of trying to figure out what you mean?
Perfectly understandable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:12:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2007 12:13:53 AM EDT by NOAWBR549]
height=8
Originally Posted By BrandonB:
height=8
Originally Posted By geegee:
There was a guy selling T-Shirts at the Ft Worth gunshow today that had the old recruiting poster with Uncle Sam in a top hat, and pointing. The caption on the top of the shirt said "I Want You," and the bottom said "To Speak English." hose,
I'm willing to bet 99% of the members (give/take 1%) on this site are racist anyways. You may not think that way and may not believe it, but I'm willing to bet on that.

This is a biggoted statement if I ever saw one. I suppose you have a crystal ball and can see into the hearts of everyone, or are arfcommers all racists because we have power? WTF?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2007 12:26:26 AM EDT by ump45]

There is growing evidence that the human brain has a "built in" capacity for language that is purely symbolic - a symbolic processor. When we "learn" a language, we make a "map" which relates that language to our built in symbolic processor. Evidence for this can be found in several places. For instance, deaf babies born to (both) deaf parents "babble" in sign language, because their symbolic processor latches on to the "language" around them even though it's sign language. Also, when two languages are mixed in an informal way, the result is called a "polyglot". There are hundreds of polyglots all over the world, and they all have the same grammar and syntax.

One day we will understand how our built in symbolic processor works, and then we can "design" a world language that is best suited for how our brains work.

The problem with this is that some races are genetically predisposed to learning a specific type of language.

Scientific American -- Genetic Basis for Language Tones

Asians and some Africans are missing two modern genes--ASPM and Microcephalin--that are correlated with non-tonal languages such as English.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:36:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ump45:
The problem with this is that some races are genetically predisposed to learning a specific type of language.

Asians and some Africans are missing two modern genes--ASPM and Microcephalin--that are correlated with non-tonal languages such as English.

Fascinating. However, I don't see where it says that those who speak tonal languages are incapable of learning non-tonal ones.

Besides, I was talking about <CoC Violation>.

ETA: Yeah, that was wrong. Me sorry.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:03:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ump45:

Fascinating. However, I don't see where it says that those who speak tonal languages are incapable of learning non-tonal ones.

Besides, I was talking about <CoC Violation>.

ETA: Yeah, that was wrong. Me sorry.

My Grandfather on my mothers side emigrated from China to the United States in the early 20's. I'm sure most of us know that Chinese is a tonal language. Even so, he was able to teach himself to read, write, and speak English fluently. You know why? He did it because there weren't a bunch of libtards around back then to tell us we should all accommodate him by learning Cantonese.

I believe, that given time and necessity, the speaker of any language can learn any other language.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:15:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scott1119:
If Jose dont like it, let him go back across the river

Right you are!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 2:15:24 AM EDT
As much as I think its in poor taste, I don't think the sign itself is racist. How the business owner decides to follow his own sign, I suppose could be considered racist though.

Somebody speaking another language with a buddy, then turning around and speaking english and wishing to purchase an item getting denied. But then again, it would be the business owners right to deny business to anyone for whatever reason he likes even if it is because hes a racist.

This reminds me of the scene from the recent movie "Crash" where a gun store owner decides to renig on a revolver sale just because the guy was speaking in another language to his daughter, who was more or less translating for him. The dealer called him "Osama" -even though the man was Persian.

Ignorant is usually the image anti-gunners have of gun owners and gun dealers, which, imo, this scene was probably subtley conveying in the film. And when gun show dealers like that put signs like that up, it only confirms it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:00:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
On a vendors table

Talked to someone else, they thought it was racist.
I think it was more an attempt to stop straw purchases by/for illegal aliens.

Straw purchases at PA gunshows are a huge problem right now.

According to a friend that occasionally sells at these shows the majority
involve illegals trying to purchase firearms .

PA laws aren't as restrictive as the local states ,so they come here
trying to buy .

Not only is he protecting himself ,but he's making a statement.

He's taking a stand .

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:10:01 AM EDT
anti straw purchase policy and nothing more= no problem

doing it to make a statement = I wont buy a gun from you....

without personally knowing the guy how can you say....
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:14:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cobrasks:
Straw purchases at PA gunshows are a huge problem right now.

According to a friend that occasionally sells at these shows the majority
involve illegals trying to purchase firearms .

PA laws aren't as restrictive as the local states ,so they come here
trying to buy .

Not only is he protecting himself ,but he's making a statement.

He's taking a stand .

That's exactly how I saw it.
My eye was caught by a very hot latina girl.
I noticed she was in the company of 3 nasty looking hispanic hombres.
"Straw purchase" came to mind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:21:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xdoctor:
I can see it now...

Customer: Do you mind if I pick up this Beretta?
Dealer: HEY, GET OUT OF HERE YOU ITALIAN SPEAKING SON OF A BITCH!

I laughed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:06:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BrandonB:
I'm willing to bet 99% of the members (give/take 1%) on this site are racist anyways.

You're on crack.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 2:00:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
it's not racist and it's nationalist. And in this country, fine by me.

I think I'm MORE than qualified to say this. I lived for two years in Finland where they say the same thing. "Olet Suomessa, puhut Suomea" = "you are in Finland. Speak Finnish". Although I had no intention of living there, I learned their freaking language.

If I can learn Finnish, what most people rate as the most difficult language to learn, then they can damn will learn English.

I wish more places would pass English only laws.

Yup. I'm, a naturalized US citizen, and my mother told me that after she married my father, she made him read to her nightly in English. She was British, he was Russian and German, and although he was fluent in a half dozen languages, English was not one of them. Knowing they would be emigrating to the States, they decided this was the best course of action for them to take. I have zero sympathy for people who won't take the time to learn English, especially those that are already here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 2:06:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Frank_The_Tank:
Why is it racist?

it's not, it's the new buzz word on this website, the man can sell to ever he wishes, english is the offical language in the divided states of america
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:12:18 PM EDT
in each case it is their business, and they can conduct it as they please. no one is forced to conduct business with them
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:26:32 PM EDT
If your in any other country, they expect us to speak their language. They need to speak English or American.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:03:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DD977GM2:
If your in any other country, they expect us to speak their language. They need to speak English or American.

That's not true. You can travel through most of Europe speaking only English with no difficulty at all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:11:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

Originally Posted By Beltfedleadhead:
I saw that one.

Here's one that confused me.

"50.00 charge for being denied OR delayed for background check, or your license will be held."

Lots of innocent people are delayed for odd reasons, there's no reason to charge them for it.

Sounded like bullshit to me.

Since my name is Michael Johnson, and there are over 46,000 Michael Johnsons in the US, I have been delayed every single firearm purchace in the last three years. Over 20 purchases. Delayed every single one of them. I would tell that dealer to FOAD.

Mike,

You've stated on a number of occasions that you feel rather anonymous because your name, but keep in mind that you have also posted enough information on the boards to be tracked down. Just a heads up in case you are as paranoid as I am.

- BG
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top