BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't own any pre-bans.  If I did, I'd be making arrangements with someone in one of the "resricted" areas for an after the sunset sale.  I'd do this regardless of what I originally paid for the rifle/lower.  All I'd want is a replacement lower of equal quality.  If I paid $900 for a pre-ban lower two years ago, after the sunset it will be worth less than a brand new lower (collctibles no included ).  Therefore, I can't justify charging someone more than a replacement cost.

I'm doing this for someone.  Not to pat myself on the back, but I paid more than $900 for the thing, and I'm simply asking for a new lower in return.  I'd want someone to do it for me.

QS
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If a new ban comes down that is retroactive to 94 (and is passed after 9/13/04), we're in a lot more trouble than just not having bayonet lugs and flash hiders.  All it takes is one minute of the AWB being expired and we all have new prebans (you did drive over to your buddy's and pick up your stash of flash hiders, bayonet lugs and telestocks at midnight, right?) that cannot be taken away.  A law cannot be retroactive and survive court review, it would be struck down for ex post facto, which any new law passed after 9/13/04 and made applicable to all guns made after 94 would be.

I agree with you that this would be a violation of the ex post facto clause of the Constitution. However, there is a bill before the house with 111 cosponsors and a sister bill before the Senate with 14 cosponsors that would make it illeagal to own a post ban. The bill is HR2038/S1431. They narrow the definition of an assault weapon to include post-bans, and make the cut-off date for the grandfather clause 9/13/1994. I ran this by the GOA, and they confirmed that this would be an result in a "turn in your post-bans" restriction.

I a pessimistic that SCOTUS would reverse the law if passed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If a new ban comes down that is retroactive to 94 (and is passed after 9/13/04), we're in a lot more trouble than just not having bayonet lugs and flash hiders.  All it takes is one minute of the AWB being expired and we all have new prebans (you did drive over to your buddy's and pick up your stash of flash hiders, bayonet lugs and telestocks at midnight, right?) that cannot be taken away.  A law cannot be retroactive and survive court review, it would be struck down for ex post facto, which any new law passed after 9/13/04 and made applicable to all guns made after 94 would be.

I agree with you that this would be a violation of the ex post facto clause of the Constitution. However, there is a bill before the house with 111 cosponsors and a sister bill before the Senate with 14 cosponsors that would make it illeagal to own a post ban. The bill is HR2038/S1431. They narrow the definition of an assault weapon to include post-bans, and make the cut-off date for the grandfather clause 9/13/1994. I ran this by the GOA, and they confirmed that this would be an result in a "turn in your post-bans" restriction.

Well, speaking for myself, that would be that magical line that everyone talks about.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, speaking for myself, that would be that magical line that everyone talks about.

For me the line ends at the death of current ban, it's past time to start taking back OUR rights.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ex post facto would apply if a (new and enhanced) ban was made retroactive to 94, as they would be saying they could prosecute anyone that possessed a firearm that met their criteria even before the criteria was written.  A new ban can only apply starting on the day it was signed into law, it cannot be retroactive.

You are not getting what Ex-post facto means. It means they cannot prosecute you for actions prior to the passing of the law a crime. So if they pass a new law banning AWBs on 01/20/05, it means they cannot prosecute you for your ownership of a AWB prior to this date. But if you are still in possession of one after this date, regardless of when it was made, you can be prosecuted.

* Grandpa bought a tommy gun in 1927, and it was 100% legal, he failed to register it. They cannot prosecute him for possession prior to 1934, but if he still has it today he can be prosecuted.

* I could legally drink when I was 18, now the law is 21. They cannot prosecute me for drinking when I was 18, but the day the law became 21, I had to abide.

* I have a Texas CHL. If the law goes away tomorrow, I cannot be prosecuted for carrying today, but if I continue to carry after today, I can be prosecuted.

* Can DC residents who owned AR-15s before all guns were banned in DC still own them? No, they are illegal. They cannot be prosecuted for owning them prior to the gun ban (1976 I think), but if they have them today, they can be prosecuted. Add  Morton Grove (handguns) , etc. the the list of places that have already done this.

That is what ex-post facto is all about. Just because you legally own something today does not mean it will not be illegal tomorrow. Like Feinstein said, if she had the votes for Mr. & Mrs. America to turn them in, she would have. And it would be legal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, Renegade.

Hey Lightning! Let me know if you have a NIB Hungarian folder you "could" part with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Ex-post-facto.....blah blah blah.

Let me tell you guys how it will work.  Gun "X" is illegal as of now.  Most people quietly hang on to theirs, some get rid of theirs.  One by one, they are picked up when the owners get searched for some other reason, wether legit or not.  No need to confinscate, cause they already have you by the balls.

Heyy....that sounds exactly like what happened in CA.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes you should. Like someine said already the guns you guys have are 10 years old why not get a brand new one and help a fellow gun owner out.
That being said I am looking for Pre-ban Bushy or Armalite lower, or complete gun.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That is what ex-post facto is all about. Just because you legally own something today does not mean it will not be illegal tomorrow. Like Feinstein said, if she had the votes for Mr. & Mrs. America to turn them in, she would have. And it would be legal.

THANK YOU.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me the line ends at the death of current ban, it's past time to start taking back OUR rights.

No, not THAT line..the passive resistance to "active pinging"..so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, not THAT line..the passive resistance to "active pinging"..so to speak.

Sorry that was the line I was speaking [not war]. IMO WE need to be more "active" in getting the crap that's on the books repealed. Take the 86 mg ban here is a BS law if ever there was one, to my knowlage the 34 NFA as been broken ONCE in it's history. So why does it still stand? how did it get pasSed? easy because the MG owning group is small and not many people know about it. And Brady knew that not many would bitch about it. [kind of like the ban on 50 BMG]. IMO it's time to get the message out to the little people that they are being BS'ed by Brady foundation. Sending letters to congressmen is great but we also need to address the masses as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who would trade a brand-new "post-ban" lower/rifle for an older, used "pre-ban" lower/rifle....THANK YOU.

Since according to the law "pre" and "post" are all the same thing if you live in the right state, I applaud you for helping out fellow gun-owners.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.

That's a bandaid to the problem.

They should work to fix the laws, or take their money and leave.

And in the mean-time...we're on our own???

Somebody wants to trade, that's their business.

The PROBLEM that I see is that any means of circumventing the bad law simply allows it to continue.

Kalifornia passed it's Assault Weapon Ban, but grandfathered anyone willing to register.   So, since it's the old "I get to keep mine" bullshit, the gunowners in Kali don't have much motivation to change things.

Sure, they get to keep theirs - and when they die, nobody in Kali will get to one anymore.  All those weapons get purged from the State in 1 generation.  They win.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top