Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out this one.
[url]http://www.prabullpup.com/Bullpup.html[/url]

The tactical muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I say just get out there and enjoy the experience. I am much more concerned about the fight for our 2nd amendment rights than anything as trivial as this. [:\]

Just my .02

EricE

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#3]
At least here in FL, the deer season starts with archery, then goes to muzzle loading, then general gun.  I always thought, and was taught by game wardens and elders, that this was to make it harder and more sporting at the beginning of the season when deer were much less timid and aware of hunters in the woods.  If they started the season out with general gun, then there would be a much higher kill rate per season.  Muzzle loading season was put into effect because 'traditional' muzzle loaders are far less accurate, more vunerable to fouling and wet powder etc.., and generally more of a challenge to use.  If this was not the case, then why even make a seperate season for muzzle loaders?????  Why not just go from archery to general gun????  I am not bashing the guys that use inlines.  I am just questioning why some guys do not recognize the intent of the muzzle loading season and follow in the spirit of the primitive hunt.  Inlines during muzzle loading season seem like a back doored loop hole.  I could hunt with an inline if I wanted, but bought a flint lock to use.  This is also why cross bows can not be used during archery and only in general gun.  Hunting has deep traditions and we as ethical sportsman need to continue these traditions and follow in the spirit of the hunt, not try to kill as many deer as possible.  There is a whole lot more to hunting then pulling the trigger.  I might get flamed for this..but oh well...just my two cents....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a lot more concerned over whether the hunter can hit his target rather than what he shot it with.

Here in Texas it's called muzzleloader season. Anything pretty much goes.  Pistol, shotgun, sidelock, whatever. Bow, (Cross or otherwise) is it's own season as well. You can also hunt with just about anything that has a pointy end. Any method is good during general gun season.

I know a guy that hunts hogs with a spear.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
whatta bunch of whiney old men.

jeezus, no wonder i stear clear of that type at the gun club.

personally, i could care less if you use a freakin' 1919a4 or a wooden club to bag your deer, just quit bitchin' like old women about what other folks use.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The reason for many of these seasons was originally safety.  It was assumed that shotguns with slugs would not pose a threat to a subdivision over the hill.  Manufacturers then made bolt action shotguns and saboted rounds negating the supposed safety benefit.

In Texas there are many areas of public land where you may only use muzzleloaders, but my TC Encore comes close to the ballistics of a 7mm Rem mag using saboted rounds.  

IMHO Texas' muzzleloader season was the result of bribes to the Fish & Game.  My Win '94 30-30 is less of a threat downrange than the new magnum muzzleloaders using sabots.

To answer the question regarding inlines, I would have to know why there was a muzzleloader season in your state.  In Texas it was all about money (IMHO), so inlines are dandy, keen and nifty.  If your state had a primitive season just to celebrate primitive stuff (I don't believe any really would) or for safety reasons then a whole bunch of laws will be needed to cope with tech changes, which will just confuse and piss people off, discouraging an already declining hunter population.

Bow season makes sense to me just because I don't want to creep 20-60 feet from a deer on crowded public land while dodging bullets.[BD]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
whatta bunch of whiney old men.
View Quote

As opposed to a sweet old man like Campy.

To answer the question regarding inlines, I would have to know why there was a muzzleloader season in your state. In Texas it was all about money (IMHO), so inlines are dandy, keen and nifty.
View Quote

That's the same thing here in Oklahoma: MONEY. Lots of politics with the Wildlife Commission and they make very few decisions based on science.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]As opposed to a sweet old man like Campy.[/b]

well...hell yes! lol!

now, if you'll 'scuse me, i'm a gonna go a git me some deer jerky...i honestly don't know if that doe knew it was a scattergun or smokepole that dropped her...think i should ask her?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
While in some ways I agree with with you, I must admit that during ML season, I hunt with with a Rem 700 inline with a Bushnell Trophy scope(damn good shooter!) Even though the inlines are a little more modern they are still a one shot at a time  muzzle loading rifle and they can have miss fires as happened to me once with about a 15 FOOT shot on a turkey. My nipple was oily(no sarcasm please!)
I hope to eventually build my own flintlock to hunt with & may sell the 700.  But I am out there that time of year just to spend and enjoy time in the woods, usually hunting alone before regular firearm season starts and  the deer get all stirred-up bcause of the dogs that everyone runs around this part of Virginia.  
However, instead of bitching about the modern muzzle loaders encroaching on your primitive season, why don't you petition to the Game commission to have a "Primitive Only" season one week before it opens for all muzzle loaders.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I honestly think that I would like less hunters in the woods rather than more. Sure some areas could use more hunters but others may not. If there are too many hunters in the woods then it creates more hunting pressure on game animals forcing them to change their daily routines and seek shelter thick growth.

and lastly more hunters in the woods lead to more confusion and a higher possibility of somebody getting shot.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top