Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Now I have to get one again. I really liked mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#2]
so which one is the better one?

would like it without the grenade thingy.

or actually which one should i get or which do you like better?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
No-brainer - Hell YES you should get it.

Here in Californistan they have to weld a steel condom over the grenade launcher to make the rifle legal.

I have a Chinese one that has been literally 100% reliable even with the worst ComBloc ammo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can, get the Russian laminate rifle. I have one and it's a much better quality rifle compared to other SKS's I've had.
I don't shoot it much anymore. Maybe 30  or 40 rds a year. It's a great behind the seat truck gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm looking to go deer hunting next Christmas (yeah it's far away, but still...). I'm looking at an SKS as an inexspensive Deer rifle. I was told that the 7.62x39 Russian has nearly the same trajectory as a 30-30. Military gun Supply has Yugo 59/66 SKSs for 129$. Here's a link:

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=CRYU5966

Should I get one? If so, should I just leave it as is or attempt to remove the grenade launcher? I don't really need one, although if 22mm grenade were legal I'd bet they'd be useful for flushing out deer.

Ben

Apparently, they are popular in Wisconsin and have been known to take down large animals.  His SKS worked for this guy.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Everybody needs an SKS or three in their safe.

Do it before they're $500 "collector's items"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not asian are you?

No. I'm an American Indian w/ Jewish heritage, although thanks to hurricane Ivan I have lost much of my color.

Ben

WOW!!! American Indian AND Jewish?

So what does your TeePee have a Menorah in it? IM SORRY... i couldnt resist.

Weren't you in "Blazing Saddles?"

"Hus du gezen in deine leiben, they darker than us. Woof!"
(In Yiddish this means: Have you ever seen anything like this in your life?)

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's for deer hunting, why not a Saiga in 7.62Russian?  Heck, it's already sporterized and it's ready to go for $200.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If it's for deer hunting, why not a Saiga in 7.62Russian?  Heck, it's already sporterized and it's ready to go for $200.

Because last year some idiot in GA said the reason he didn't sell the SKS was "it wasn't a sporting rifle". Idiot.

I'm probably not going to get an SKS today....going to be busy the whole day......Maybe tommorow? Who knows....

Ben

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#10]
yes
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Yes.  Poll
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Let's carefully analyze this.

Reasons you need a Yugo SKS:
it's a semiautomatic rifle
you need a deer gun
it's cheap
everyone needs a gun with an attached bayonet
it pisses off liberals (grenade launcher )
you can buy lots of cheap ammo for it: Wolf is $2/20 rounds locally
if you want to get a bit crazier, you can buy a those grenade adapter things and blanks and put tennis balls in them and launch them a long way

Reasons you don't need a Yugo SKS:
(crickets)

Well, there you have it.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Get one. The are fun and reliable. I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Because last year some idiot in GA said the reason he didn't sell the SKS was "it wasn't a sporting rifle". Idiot.

I'm probably not going to get an SKS today....going to be busy the whole day......Maybe tommorow? Who knows....

Ben

Well, you'll get a kick out of this thread:http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
And if you want to ... you can do this:

www.teamfcf.com/predator/myweb16/Yugo_SKS2_RS.gif

Just make sure and take better care of your SKS than you do of your plants.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a hearty "AFFIRMATIVE" for an SKS purchase.

BUT, now its time for me to rain on everyone's parade.

They are NOT so easy to LEGALLY turn tactical.

Sec. 922(r) prohibits the assembly of any rifle with "import banned features" (including folding stocks, detachable mags, or bayos) from more than 10 of the "imported parts" specified in the regs.   The SKS trigger group comes with 2 disconnectors, both of which "count" toward the "not more than 10" rule, and it there is some question as to whether enough US made parts exist so as to get past 922(r) concerns.   So be careful.

Second issue:  CLEANING.   The SKS uses a sliding sear, that is prone stick in the "disengaged" position when mucked up.  Now, what makes this a big problem is that the bolt follower disconnector on the SKS has an engagement with the hammer.  I'm sure that the idea was to keep the hammer from falling unless the bolt is fully in battery, but the problem is that a mechanism in a gun which holds the hammer and releases it only when the bolt closes is also known to function as an autosear.  Result:  If your primary sear gets mucked up and stuck "disengaged" so that it does not return to engage the hammer with the recoil cycle, then the hammer will be locked back briefly by the bolt follower disconnector and promptly released as the bolt slams home.   It can and will dump the whole magazine.   This problem manifests itself only on rifles where the "cosmoline" has not been fully cleaned off, or where some "bubba" has taken a file to various parts of the trigger group to purposefully implement illegal full auto.   But its an issue and you should be aware of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Email sent. I have a solution to your problem!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are there any problems with the Yugo m59/66 rifles that I should know about?

Ben

No. The only thing you should be cautious about is if some bubba put one of those cheesy aftermarket detachable magazine modifications on the rifle. Quasi-legal depending on importation date, and the aftermarkets don't work for shit.

Should I purchase an SKS.....yes or no...

Really, this is not the question you should be asking. You should be asking how many to buy. They're decent, cheap rifles, and if you were to buy several and cache them in strategic locations with appropriate accessories.....well...  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
No, you should not purchase an SKS.
You should purchase at least 2 or more.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Everyone who has over 5 guns should have at least 1 SKS in there. I've got about 10, and 3 of mine are SKS's (thanks to my C&R license).  2 59/66's and 1 59.

They are very INexpensive to own and shoot.   I get my wolf from cabelas at $80 per 1,000 rounds and get 2 free plastic ammo boxes each time.  I can't even get 9mm for that price.  

Fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#21]
buy one
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell yes, you must buy one!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I am hopefully going to go pick up a nice Chinese SKS sometime this weekend...

Ben
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes get some.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#25]
YES.

I'm having an affair with my boyfriend's SKS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Sure. Why wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, they are very fun, cheap to shoot guns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Go for it, they are a lot of fun and ammo is relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Q: If Ruger made a version of their Mini-30 rifle that was actually reliable, accurate, had an interesting military pedigree and was available in brand-new condition for under $150, would you buy one?

A: Of course not – You'd buy half a dozen!

Well, here's your chance...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And if you want to ... you can do this:

www.teamfcf.com/predator/myweb16/Yugo_SKS2_RS.gif

Just make sure and take better care of your SKS than you do of your plants.

WHOA!!!!! WAIT!!! that is not my picture, I did a google search and that came up. My plants are FLOURISHING!!!

yeah yeah yeah... I know... GHEY!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
YES.

I'm having an affair with my boyfriend's SKS.

This brings to mind that post that someone wrote about riding their M4 like a stick pony around the house naked.

So.....   do you prefer a spike or blade bayonet?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#32]
yes
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Well fellas,

It's over. I picked up a minty Norinco SKS today for a great price. I also scored a chest pouch, 20 strippers, sling, and rifle 'sock'. I've got 2 boxes of wolf I'm going to shoot later next week. My M1 Garand has a new friend in the safe, and he's wood too....

Ben
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#34]
You better order a case of ammo
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Here are my two, a Yugo in front (I got it last week) and a Norinco with a Choate stock in the rear.

I had not had the Norinco out in years and got the Yugo last week.  I had forgotten what a blast (pun intended) an SKS is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Get one asap,only issue with the yugo 59/66 sks is that on some of the shooter grade rifles there are problems with gas leaks around the gas cut off because of improper cleaning after using corrosive ammo.Abtaining a new gas valve isnt hard,and some have used o rings for a better gas seal.Do your self a favor though and just get an unissuied rifle,havnt heard of any problems with those.Good luck
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Now you've gotta get a case of ammo to go with the SKS.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not asian are you?

I am. Now where are my black pajamas?

dont forget the chinese pesant hat and white scarf
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure about using it for hunting but do know they are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]
IF YOU GET ONE BUY A CHINESE MADE SKS!!!!!

Dont get the Yugo made rifle get the Chinese. It will not cost anymore than 200 bucks and you can find them for around 100 if you look hard enough. I have had a Chinese 56 for several years and you can beat the crap out of it and never clean it and it will still shoot like brand new. I will tell you this though. Dont try to put a scope or anything like that on it. Just use it like it is, dont add a thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn. After reading this thread..........I am going to get a Russian SKS.

Damn you all for talking so much about this. Now I got to get another one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
absolutely....and you might end up with a Alabanian,Tula,Yugo and a couple Norinco's.the Tula being your aboslute favorite and never see's daylight saving the Norinco for fun blasting times
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
IF YOU GET ONE BUY A CHINESE MADE SKS!!!!!

Dont try to put a scope or anything like that on it. Just use it like it is, dont add a thing.

Oh, you mean like the Choate stock and the scope on the Norinco in the picture above.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I am going shooting either tommorow or Wedsnday. I will post a range report. I still can't beleive i got such a good deal. SCOOTER194, YOU ARE DA MAN!

I love my gat rifle...

Ben

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top