Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a used Mercury Marauder instead.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if you wear dark glasses at night and your on a mission for God..........
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was the guy who started the last CVPI thread. Here it is for reference.-

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=643068

Still waiting on me getting one. I'll be home over winter break and if it happens it'll happen then. I think the one I'm looking at is still in use, but once their new Charger comes in the Crown Vic has got to go.

I sent you an IM!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As I recall, the police package on the Crown Vic was a transmission cooler, oil cooler, spotlights, and beefed up suspension.  

Also a metal matrix driveshaft and extended transmission tailhousing, either 3.27 or 3.55 gear ratio, and the 106 mph electronic speed limiter isnt programmed into the ECU.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
An ex-cop car has been ridden hard.  Sure, they change the oil and all that.  Big whoop.  They beat on those cars until they're barely twitching, and then issue them back out to a boot for another year for good measure.  And the ones that aren't completely wasted go to the taxi companies.

I know some people love cars like this... ex-rentals, ex-fleet cars, ex-cop cars... fuck that.  There's a reason they're getting rid of them, and it isn't to "give something back".
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless it absolutely HAS to be low-dollar transportation, I'd look at civvy Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars instead - much nicer interior, better option list, and usually have blue-hairs as their first owners (very well-maintained).

The depreciation on the CV, GM and TC are absolutely brutal, so it doesn't cost much more to get the luxo-boat version - makes a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My son bought a 2001 in NC , turned it into a custom low rider and sold it at a profit, NOS system turned it into a screamer too .
But it big and wide and a 4 door and automatic so its not all that ..

If you keep it original folks will move out of your way on the road thinking your a cop..
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you keep it original folks will move out of your way on the road thinking your a cop..

OR everywhere you go you'll be stuck behind extra slow drivers because of it.  I know someone that had one and that was the case.  

People used to stop him and ask for directions, etc.

Also, it got keyed... but coulda been a coincidence.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get something that hasn't been abused (that you know of).  with cop cars, you know they have been accelerated hard, braked super hard, hit things, driven over curbs, turned into off roaders when they should have been, and basically abused like a 3 cent whore on a saturday night.
Even a rental vehicle you could buy might be better off in the long run.
Why don't you look for a used crown vic or something that a old guy has owned?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Think of the hours on those engines. They practically run 24/7.

ETA: I wouldn't put my baby/children in the back seat of one of those. I don't care how much you clean it. Think of the blood, sweat, spit, vomit, piss, shit, you name it that has been spewed over those seats.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a 01 P71 with 84K on the clock for $5200. It had all the maintenance records for it. The only thing I did was go through the front suspension to tighten it up a bit. The car has been reliable in the 20K miles I have put on it. One thing, watch the tires that are on the car. I have found that both the Firestone PV41s and Goodyear RSAs are useless in the snow, especially with this big of a car with an open differential.  Depending on where you are in WI you may want to give Cheyka Motors a look.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I picked up a 01 P71 with 84K on the clock for $5200. It had all the maintenance records for it. The only thing I did was go through the front suspension to tighten it up a bit. The car has been reliable in the 20K miles I have put on it. One thing, watch the tires that are on the car. I have found that both the Firestone PV41s and Goodyear RSAs are useless in the snow, especially with this big of a car with an open differential.  Depending on where you are in WI you may want to give Cheyka Motors a look.

Holy crap I live about 15 minutes from that place! I'm at college right now so I'm a lot farther away (think 3+ hours), but I know exactly where that lot is.

The prices are just OK, not the greatest. They're just a middle man. Haven't dealt with them ever, so not sure if they like to negotiate on price. If you can get to an auction just  grab one straight from the auction, that's where these people get them.

Or if you know the right people in the right towns they might just bypass the auction and sell it straight to you.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Those cars are driven hard. 24/7.  If you can get a car that was a take home/rank car you would be better off. As for piss/vomit in the rear, some/most departments now remove the back seat and put a plastic seat in thats easier to search for contraband. If thats the case with your new car-it would be almost brand new.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You'd be shocked at what a Police cruiser can do with someone who knows how to drive behind the wheel.  

Stock CVPIs run the 1/4 mile in 16-16.2, 0-60 in 8+ seconds. Top speed of 129 mph (or 120 mph for 05-up with 3.55s). If it weren't for the Motorola, backup units, speed cameras, helicopters/VASCAR, the CVPI wouldn't catch anything fast. The race ready curb weight is about 4000-4100 lb for 98-02 (215-239 hp), and 4100-4300 lb (239 - 250 hp) for 03-up (new hydroformed steel chassis with revised front suspension). Coupled with excessive understeer, this car doesn't handle well or run very fast in the straight line. It also gets horrible gas mileage with regular driving (16/21 - 15/23 EPA ratings). FYI, the Crown Victoria has been DISCONTINUED from new civilian purchases. They are only available to fleet buyers starting with the 2008 model year. My actual gas mileage ranges from 10 - 19 mpg in city, highway, or combined driving.

Basically, a stock 2.3L Mazda3 will give a stock CVPI a decent run in the 1/4 mile and on the track

It took Ford about 27 years to finally install a tachometer in the Crown Vic (06 model year).

The best Crown Vic to buy is a 1995-1997 model with the factory 2.73 rear axle ratio. You can get up to 30 mpg on the highway, and they are the MOST aerodynamic and the LIGHEST platforms: very low CD and have curb weights of about 3700-3800 lb. They had the highest quality interiors and the best overall build quality. You can upgrade them with:
PI 2V heads
PI intake manifold
PI cams
steeper rear axle ratio for better acceleration
98-02 front brakes
16" or larger wheels to accept the 12.4" front rotors

Modifications are very limited for the Crown Victorias. You will resort to mainly retrofitting Mustang/F-series parts or access a limited quantity of aftermarket performance replacements. The only vendor making T-304 SS aftermarket exhaust kits is Magnaflow and they make them only for 06-up Crown Vics.

The Michigan State Police testing showed the Dodge Hemi Charger 5.7L handed the Clown Brick's ass on a silver platter in all of the performance and handling tests. In fact, the 3.5L V6 Charger and Tahoe were competitive enough to hang with the 4.6L V8 Crown Vic in the same tests.

I know you asked about used CVPIs, but if you were looking for a new car that is used for livery/police duty, the Charger R/T is a technically superior car. Don't believe the Crown Vic apologists who think the stock Ford 4R70W 4-speed is 100% bulletproof because quite a lot of used CVPIs on the auctions have had at least 1 rebuilt transmission before reaching 100k miles.

Well its great that you're a quarter mile guy, apparently you need to take a drivers course and look at the streets around most urban areas, there are corners.  You take that fwd Mazada 3 and see how far you get trying to out run a PI.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well its great that you're a quarter mile guy, apparently you need to take a drivers course and look at the streets around most urban areas, there are corners.  You take that fwd Mazada 3 and see how far you get trying to out run a PI.

Ya, corners with traffic lights, stop signs, crosswalks, yield signs, view obstructing buildings and bushes, etc, etc.

The fact is, that while any form of spirited driving on public roads isn't the safest thing in the world, it's just about impossible to take a great cornering car anywhere close to it's limits anywhere but a race track unless you've got a death wish. On the other hand, it's not incredibly difficult to find a 1/2 mile stretch of road with no cross streets. Again, neither is "safe" or legal, but it's much easier to take a drag car to it's limits on public roads.

It's not much fun driving corner carving cars on anything but a race track, because there aren't many places in town where they can be truly appreciated. My Mustang isn't the best handling car by any stretch of the imagination, but it handles well enough that I can remain glued to the road on corners at speeds that are absolutely asinine on public roads, to be blunt. Why improve it any further? It'd be a crazy idiot to take advantage of it.

Most of us don't have regular access to a road course, but plenty of us have access to drag strips.

Oh, and you're right. P71's do just fine when somebody who knows what they're doing is behind the wheel.

I disagree with metroplex on the Motorola, helicopters, etc being the primary reason they're able to catch fast cars. What limits fast cars is what I brought up earlier - the limitations imposed by public roads. Unless you've got a death wish (in which case, you'll crash eventually) you still have to slow down for stop signs, there's still gravel in the turns, there are still other cars, etc, etc. No matter how fast your car is, you can't maintain a high average speed unless you just plain don't take your foot off the gas, and even then you'll just end up in a wreck.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top