BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer Dragon's breath...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do I have a feeling those of of you advocating a mixed shot/slug load also have designated shot/slug shell holders on your shotguns.

Good luck on your overly complex reload scenarios.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why do I have a feeling those of of you advocating a mixed shot/slug load also have designated shot/slug shell holders on your shotguns.

I doubt they own a shotgun in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nope. Reloads are on nightstand.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st load: #4 birdshot     duck
2nd load: #6 birdshot   goose
3rd load: # 4 buckshot   ostrich
4th load: 00 buckshot      bad guy
5th load: slug     bad guy with hostage
6th load: #1 buckshot     bad guys crack head girlfriend

This is the most logical shotgun loadout.

That has GOT to be a joke.

LOL No, no, let him explain it. I bet the logic of it will be overwhelming.

1st load is the attention getter.
2nd load is for the carrier pigeon he releases with the distress message to his friends.
3rd load is to make him mad
4th load is the one he uses after he gets the shotgun away from you and shoves it up your ass.
5th load is for your dog.
6th load is for.. well I don't really know.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You trying to singe the hair and clothes off the bad guy so the ambient light lights his paleness up so you can see him?

They have flashlights that work quicker and don't set your stuff on fire.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
00 Buckshot creates 9 .33 caliber holes, and will not penetrate as much as a rifled slug.

Also:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt they own a shotgun in the first place.

I alternate buckshot and slugs in my gun.  No sidesaddles.  Buckshot in the chamber then buck/slug/buck/slug in the tube.  No particular reason for buck first in the tube, just cause.  Next time I load it it might go slug first then alternating.  We'll see.  They'll both do what I would need them to do in the middle of the night.  I have a few loose shells sitting on my nightstand I can throw into the pocket of the gym shorts I usually sleep in if I can remember to do that at 3 in the morning.  It doesn't matter to me whether I pull out a buckshot or slug to shoot the guy 10 feet around the corner to the other end of the apt, both will hit hard at that distance.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kel Tec claims to have solved that issue...we shall see.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You trying to singe the hair and clothes off the bad guy so the ambient light lights his paleness up so you can see him?

They have flashlights that work quicker and don't set your stuff on fire.

If I am going to use a shotgun for defense I at least want to have some fun with it!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Must be nice to pick and choose the scenerios when bad guys invade your home. They will line up and stand still while you shoot them, rounds won't over penetrate, kids will be at grandmas, dog will be
standing behind you and your neighbor will be laying flat on his floor, behind his concrete walls.

I sure hope I can have all that when bad guys come to my house.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The first one's birdshot, the next four are double aught buck
The last one's a slug just for good luck.

20 rounds of alternating buckshot and slugs. Who uses only six rounds?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I use reduced recoil Winchester Ranger 00 buck in my HD shotgun... 1oz hollowpoint slugs in the side saddle, just in case I'm facing a bear or something.

The reason I use this load in particular because it's the cheapest, the softest recoiling, and still has adequate patterning from my SG... not as good as Federal Flitecontrol, but better than anything else I've tried (Remington, Fiocchi, vanilla Federal etc). Regardless of particular load, I am comfortable knowing that I could put 6x9 pellets of 00 buck into a bad guy in <2 seconds if need be. I've verified this at the range, too.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Must be nice to pick and choose the scenerios when bad guys invade your home. They will line up and stand still while you shoot them, rounds won't over penetrate, kids will be at grandmas, dog will be

standing behind you and your neighbor will be laying flat on his floor, behind his concrete walls.

I sure hope I can have all that when bad guys come to my house.

Actually, I can effectively pick and choose this. I live alone, I only have two neighbors, both of whom are gone every other week, and even if they are, my house is on the crest of a hill with my neighbors being on either side, respectively. If I shoot straight at a bad guy and I miss/overpenetrate, those pellets are going over my neighbor's heads. And I know for a fact that, except for maybe a 30-40 degree angle from the back of my house, it will be at least 300-500m of travel before they'd hit anything... probably as low of odds of accidentally hitting something as you could possibly get, all things considered.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
if you're doing all slugs, you might as well get a rifle...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

if you're doing all slugs, you might as well get a rifle...

Exactly. If I'm shooting one projectile per trigger pull, I want to be able to penetrate armor if need be. Hence why I also keep my AR loaded for HD in addition to the shotgun. Why should I limit myself to just one gun?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

1st load: #4 birdshot

2nd load: #6 birdshot

3rd load: # 4 buckshot

4th load: 00 buckshot

5th load: slug

6th load: #1 buckshot

I screen capped that.  Thanks.

When I get attacked by several doves, a duck, and a deer, I will be totally ready to tier 1 rock and roll.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
my HD shotgun is loaded with 7 rounds of 00 buck, 4 more rounds of 00 buck in the side saddle and 2 slug rounds just in case. the slugs are there in case I need to take a well aimed shot.

Inside a home either one is going to really fuck up what ever I hit with it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I hope you're not serious.

What if one shot is all you are able to get off?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Wrong.   Please do not spew misinformation.   The correct load is:

#4,#4,OO,OO,slug,slug,#6,#6,OO,OO,OOO,OOO,#6,#4,#6,Salt pellets, Rat poison, Dragon's Breath, Flechette. Beanbag.

In that order.  Do NOT mix up the sequence.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I use flechettes
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Dutch loading is for fags.

A shotgun with just slugs is a heavy recoiling, slow rate of fire, slow to reload, inaccurate rifle.

The shotgun is supposed to be so great because it's so versatile.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I have shotguns for the advantage that is Buckshot.  If I need to dispose of something at a distance, in comes the rifle.  The 590 and 500 are both loaded with 00 Buck, unless I'm out "plinking" then its the stuff that comes 100 rounds to a box for 22 bucks at Walmart
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What logic is there to having your first 2 shots being useless(unless your trying to kill dk-prof's current gf) ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
The OP totally gets the point of nuclear weapons. He just doesn't know when they should be used.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#27]
First round is slug for shits and giggles everything else is 3 inch 00 buck 15 pellets >9 pellets .  K.I.S.S
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
00 buck in the gun, slugs in a side saddle. That way, if you need slugs, you have them.

Might want to go smaller than 00 if you have kids in the other room or something, but definitely at the very least go with some form of buckshot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I use a single shot .410 loaded with #8 birdshot for home defense.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#30]
A single slug to the head will do the job
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
At HD distances a COM hit with either slug or buck from a 12GA is going to be very hard to survive.

Rapid incapacitation is the goal. I know a cop who shot someone 4 times with 00 buck. He had time to do a reload and re-aquire his sight picture before the bad guy dropped. Guy was still alive when they loaded him into the amberlamps. He loads with all slugs now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dutch loading is for fags.

A shotgun with just slugs is a heavy recoiling, slow rate of fire, slow to reload, inaccurate rifle.

The shotgun is supposed to be so great because it's so versatile.

This.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#33]
What's the point of slugs?  If you aren't going to use buckshot, then use a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#34]
#1 Buckshot

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=275185

12 Gauge #1 Buckshot: the International Wound Ballistics Association argues that all other thing being equal #1 buckshot is the best b/c compared to 9 pellet 00 buck 16 pellet #1 has the ability to produce "over 30% more potentially effective wound trauma." Additionally, it is the less likely to over-penetrate or penetrate barriers than 0 or 00 buckshot. Since it is less likely to overpenetrate, plated would be preferable. Plated #1 is the smallest size buck shot that consitently meets the FBI penetration standard in calibrated ballistic gel under strict laboratory conditions.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is some really good testing done on all manner of 12ga loads:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Decide for yourself.

00 buck *may* overpenetrate.

A 12ga slug (different types, they are NOT all the same) has a much better chance of overpenetrating.

But that is countered by:

Slug - One projectile you are responsible for, with more capability to overpenetrate.

00 buck - 8-9 projectiles you are responsible for, with less capability to overpenetrate.

Sounds like the risk is very similar between the two.

Personally, I like slugs because:

1)  Even if the attacker is wearing a vest, he is probably going down hard.

2)  Less projectiles to be responsible for.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Buckshot creates more permanent wound paths after entry?

Each pellet individually meets the 12" rule, and if you have numerous pellets deflecting off into different directions within the target, I'm guessing that's a good thing so far as incapacitation goes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In before the birdshot hoopla.

Well, you're kinda/sorta a minute late...

Quoted:
I use 4 shot.

Strictly speaking, you're just barely in, by 10 seconds...

Quoted:
The first one's birdshot, the next four are double aught buck
The last one's a slug just for good luck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I alternate between slugs and birdshot.  Because you never know when you'll be attacked by a bear or need to do some last minute quail hunting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In all seriousness, I think the best choice is to have the shotgun loaded with Federal Flitecontrol 00 buck. Patterns much better at longer ranges, and is still effective at close range. At home defense distance, all 00 buckshot is going to pattern very tight anyway. I think it's effective to 40 yards. Beyond that, get the rifle. I would still keep slugs in a saddle just in case.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#40]
In my opinion, it's easier to hit targets with buckshot.  No, I am not advocating that you don't have to aim, or that firing buckshot means there's a 30' cone of instant death that appears two inches from the barrel.  But a buckshot load does make it easier to hit a target especially if the target is moving.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#41]
All I use is #1 Buck.  Seven in the shotgun, six in the side saddle.  If 13 shots does not do the trick I guess I'm SOL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In my opinion, it's easier to hit targets with buckshot.  No, I am not advocating that you don't have to aim, or that firing buckshot means there's a 30' cone of instant death that appears two inches from the barrel.  But a buckshot load does make it easier to hit a target especially if the target is moving.

Especially if the target is around 25 meters away.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Hmm my ideal load out.
00 buck
flechette
00 buck
flechette
00buck
flechette
00 buck
slug.

If they are in my house and I feel threatened enough ya making sure a severe limp is the least of their concerns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hmm my ideal load out.
00 buck
flechette
00 buck
flechette
00buck
flechette
00 buck
slug.

If they are in my house and I feel threatened enough ya making sure a severe limp is the least of their concerns.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
These threads make my brain hurt.  

#1 Buck is good, if you can get it.  Otherwise, OO Buck.  

#1 kicks more than 00 buck in my experience. More weight, I guess. I like reduced recoil 00.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You are nine times more likely to hit something vital with 00 buck.

/thread
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
These threads make my brain hurt.  

#1 Buck is good, if you can get it.  Otherwise, OO Buck.  

#1 kicks more than 00 buck in my experience. More weight, I guess. I like reduced recoil 00.

#1 has more recoil, more muzzle flash and larger patterns than 00 Buck IME. I like the concept of #1 buck. But the manufacturers have not applied the recent product improvements to #1 buck.

A reduced recoil copper plated #1 buck load with the flight control wad is on my wish list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm my ideal load out.

00 buck

flechette

00 buck

flechette

00buck

flechette

00 buck

slug.

At least with properly loaded flechette, you don't have to worry about under penetration!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#49]
In the navy I got to see the aftermath of a few flesh vs. flechette outcomes.  NOT pretty.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I know I'll get beat up for this but here is what I use.  I live in Vegas and the houses are damn near on top of each other.  10-15 feet between houses, with drywall/stucco walls.  So I'm worried about over penetration.

#4 birdshot
the rest is 00 buckshot
except the last which is slug, just because.

All reloads are 00 buck
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top