BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I brake for animals including skunks and possum
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
i shot a squirrel once just for the hell of it.  pretty damn fun.  i havn't made a hobby of blasting things and leaving them though, been there done that.  once was good enough.  of course, i never see any crows around when i'm out hunting.. not in range anyway.

i wouldn't give this guy any shit if i saw him do that at a range.  if he did it repeatedly that would be different.  

some critter will wander by and eat what's left, so he's actually helping to feed some wildlife or something.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey twonami... If you ever make it out oregon way I will personally see to it you make it to at least two fields. Im the one that got _Ugly_ hooked. Just bring at least 1500 rnds for a day. I have 1 location where we can shoot 1000yards+.

I will dig now for some after shoots!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
twonami

Please understand, I have no beef with you, just wish to set forth perhaps a different prospective than you have seen to date on this topic.

I am inclined to believe you have a set, not sure why I think such but, if I am mistaken, I am sure you shall set the record straight.
I am not trying to break your ballz, just pointing out, what was the gain? Sure, there are varmints that are in dire need to be removed from said location. Most of which are not on 'my' food chain of consumption.
A squirrel, these too can be a varmint, depending up where they decide to habitat (ones attic, etc.).

All I was 'attempting' to point out was, consider what you are 'destroying', what are your reasons for such? If it is required for food, as far as I am concerned, remove all you can locate to feed your family.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey twonami... If you ever make it out oregon way I will personally see to it you make it to at least two fields. Im the one that got _Ugly_ hooked. Just bring at least 1500 rnds for a day. I have 1 location where we can shoot 1000yards+.

I will dig now for some after shoots!

If I ever get there I'll look you up
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
twonami

Please understand, I have no beef with you, just wish to set forth perhaps a different prospective than you have seen to date on this topic.

I am inclined to believe you have a set, not sure why I think such but, if I am mistaken, I am sure you shall set the record straight.
I am not trying to break your ballz, just pointing out, what was the gain? Sure, there are varmints that are in dire need to be removed from said location. Most of which are not on 'my' food chain of consumption.
A squirrel, these too can be a varmint, depending up where they decide to habitat (ones attic, etc.).

All I was 'attempting' to point out was, consider what you are 'destroying', what are your reasons for such? If it is required for food, as far as I am concerned, remove all you can locate to feed your family.

Just a moment of weakness and curiosity since I never shot a animal with this sized round, I didn't think I was going to offend anyone's morals. I didn't mean to boast and wave my penis around so for this I apologize to those I may have offended
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever shot a ground hog with the AR? I blew a whole family apart once in defense of my cat. Then I found out they were plant eaters.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
nice

eta:

Quoted:
I'm a moron

You got that right.

Maybe the Squirrel had a dying wish. Maybe life was too hard on him. Perhaps he couldn't bring home enough nuts to feed his family, and he had a large life-insurance policy.

Who are you to judge?!?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I should have videotaped the whole event and posted it so people can watch it over and over
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ya blew his nuts off.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
twonami

Just a moment of weakness and curiosity since I never shot a animal with this sized round, I didn't think I was going to offend anyone's morals. I didn't mean to boast and wave my penis around so for this I apologize to those I may have offended

Please understand, you did not offend me or my morals.

If you would allow an old man a moment. When I was young, perhaps fourteen years of age, I decided a racoon was my target of choice. It was at a  fair distance, it was also an easy target for the taking.
I remember when I arrived home later that day, I was asked, what did you shoot?? I declared with pride, a racoon!! I was then asked, well, where was my catch of the day? I said, it was a racoon? I left it where it lay. I was then sent forth to recover my trophy, which I then needed to clean and prepare for a meal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Can you eat a prairie dog?

Prairie dogs are vermin, different game. Thanks for playing....

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ever shot a ground hog with the AR? I blew a whole family apart once in defense of my cat. Then I found out they were plant eaters.

This old man appreciates your sense of humour.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So shooting a animal with the AR and a 5.56 is bad but shooting a prairie dog with a bolt action .223 is OK? Sounds like a double standard

You eat squirrel, you do not eat prairie dog.

Big difference.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
twonami

If you would allow an old man a moment. When I was young, perhaps fourteen years of age, I decided a racoon was my target of choice. It was at a  fair distance, it was also an easy target for the taking.
I remember when I arrived home later that day, I was asked, what did you shoot?? I declared with pride, a racoon!! I was then asked, well, where was my catch of the day? I said, it was a racoon? I left it where it lay. I was then sent forth to recover my trophy, which I then needed to clean and prepare for a meal.

The reason I don't "hunt" is because on my last outing I bagged a couple of Pheasant. I had them sitting in the kitchen sink and a wave of guilt came over me because it was a pretty animal. I still ate it but that was my last hunt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't hunt but this was dawns crack and I haave no sympathy for a stupid mammal

So, you were on crack when you were out shooting?

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So shooting a animal with the AR and a 5.56 is bad but shooting a prairie dog with a bolt action .223 is OK? Sounds like a double standard

Big difference.

I have shot lots of squirrels without ever giving thought to eating one..............they are tree rats
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big difference.

I have shot lots of squirrels without ever giving thought to eating one..............they are tree rats

....but tasty tree rats if properly prepared
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big difference.

Whatever.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In Nam a Marine whacked a guerilla at 1200m. Dumbass was standing by the 1200m mark on their KD range.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
twonami

The reason I don't "hunt" is because on my last outing I bagged a couple of Pheasant. I had them sitting in the kitchen sink and a wave of guilt came over me because it was a pretty animal. I still ate it but that was my last hunt.

Shyte, I know you are going to think I am breaking your ballz, I really am not.

What is the difference between you harvesting the animal or your local grocer? It is all the same. Yes, I do pay for the occasional assassin to take the bounty for which I eat (favourite restaurant but, that is mostly for sea food, again there is no difference in the larger scheme of things), local grocer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
twonami

Shyte, I know you are going to think I am breaking your ballz, I really am not.

What is the difference between you harvesting the animal or your local grocer? It is all the same. Yes, I do pay for the occasional assassin to take the bounty for which I eat (favourite restaurant but, that is mostly for sea food, again there is no difference in the larger scheme of things), local grocer.

I don't think your busting my balls. Just a friendly discussion, no harm
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't hunt (maybe I'll get into it someday) and haven't killed anything (I eat meat, I'm not opposed to shooting animals for food or if they are a danger or causing problems), but I have had experiences with squirrels that have totally changed my mind on them.  I lived in NJ my entire life until just around 8 months ago when I moved to MI.  I have seen squirrels running around in the trees and phone lines for as long as I remember.  Never thought much of them.  They seem like nice little creatures... until you have to live with them.

Last year squirrels ended up breaking the gutter on my family's house which opened up a small gap in the side of the roof, just big enough to let them in.  Once one found its way in practically every squirrel in the town was making our attic their personal hang out.  I first noticed the problem when, late at night, I would hear them stampeding all over the attic.  For creatures that seem to make little noise and silently glide up the side of trees, these things were LOUD.  Not only were they racing all over the attic, they would also start making screeching and grunting noises which were very loud.

Things got worse.  The squirrels started running around inside of the walls of the house, making more noise.  Once they found out how to get into the walls, the rest of the house was free reign to them.  As soon as they managed to get in the ceiling above the kitchen, they actually began eating straight through the kitchen ceiling to get in.  No matter how many times we patched up their holes they kept chewing through the celing, getting into bread and cereal, pissing all over the kitchen and leaving dirty black paw prints everywhere.

Squirrels are very fast and agile animals.  They are also fairly fearless.  We have 2 cats, but they were not afraid of them at all.  We tried traps, we tried poison, we even blocked off doorways and chased them right out the front door on several occasions.  They kept coming back and they were more and more brazen each time.  At one point a squirrel chewed a hole in the ceiling above my bedroom and jumped on top of me while I was sleeping!

Since this experience, I have had a completely different outlook on squirrels.  They are not friendly little critters.  They are vermin that will take over your house and eat your food without thinking twice about it.  They are filthy rodents.

I'm not sure what is going on with the squirrels now.  I moved out 8 months ago although I think my mother and my brother managed to get rid of them some how.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  

Ok this is from www.dogbegone.com

here is a GOOD ONE

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/gutless.wmv
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  

edit.... I wonder if they needed a high speed camera for that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't hunt but this was dawns crack and I haave no sympathy for a stupid mammal

Is the season open there, and do you have a hunting license?

p.s. I have shot squirells with a .257 Roberts and 100 grain ballistic tips and it does blow them up.
I shot a gray once with my 30-06 and a 180 grain Nosler Partitian and it did no meat damage just a dead squirell with a 30 caliber hole in it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I think most guys here will not kill for the sake of killing.  I think thats the point they are trying to make.  Youre not making yourself look any cooler by shooting a squirrel.  If you shot a pest like others have in the past, they were not judged so harshly.  You sound like the punk that was speeding in his car in a residential neighborhood and wondering why he was followed by people getting his plate number.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't hunt (maybe I'll get into it someday) and haven't killed anything (I eat meat, I'm not opposed to shooting animals for food or if they are a danger or causing problems), but I have had experiences with squirrels that have totally changed my mind on them.  I lived in NJ my entire life until just around 8 months ago when I moved to MI.  I have seen squirrels running around in the trees and phone lines for as long as I remember.  Never thought much of them.  They seem like nice little creatures... until you have to live with them.

Last year squirrels ended up breaking the gutter on my family's house which opened up a small gap in the side of the roof, just big enough to let them in.  Once one found its way in practically every squirrel in the town was making our attic their personal hang out.  I first noticed the problem when, late at night, I would hear them stampeding all over the attic.  For creatures that seem to make little noise and silently glide up the side of trees, these things were LOUD.  Not only were they racing all over the attic, they would also start making screeching and grunting noises which were very loud.

Things got worse.  The squirrels started running around inside of the walls of the house, making more noise.  Once they found out how to get into the walls, the rest of the house was free reign to them.  As soon as they managed to get in the ceiling above the kitchen, they actually began eating straight through the kitchen ceiling to get in.  No matter how many times we patched up their holes they kept chewing through the celing, getting into bread and cereal, pissing all over the kitchen and leaving dirty black paw prints everywhere.

Squirrels are very fast and agile animals.  They are also fairly fearless.  We have 2 cats, but they were not afraid of them at all.  We tried traps, we tried poison, we even blocked off doorways and chased them right out the front door on several occasions.  They kept coming back and they were more and more brazen each time.  At one point a squirrel chewed a hole in the ceiling above my bedroom and jumped on top of me while I was sleeping!

Since this experience, I have had a completely different outlook on squirrels.  They are not friendly little critters.  They are vermin that will take over your house and eat your food without thinking twice about it.  They are filthy rodents.

I'm not sure what is going on with the squirrels now.  I moved out 8 months ago although I think my mother and my brother managed to get rid of them some how.

I've had squirrels in the attic, no fun at all
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What are you guys PETA?

I'm gonna take a guess and say that you missed the feral cat thread.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  

www.dogbegone.com/ebay/dogbegone.gif

here is a GOOD ONE

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/gutless.wmv

\

That'll be an avatar for someone real soon!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are you guys PETA?

I'd shoot a feral cat cause it upsets the game population and I don't hunt anymore.
I would never shoot a collared cat even though it is doing the same damage, it's somebodys pet
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I once shot a squirrel...just to watch him die.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I knew that was coming!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#35]
"shootin rats cause they are ugly"

You bastard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
"shootin rats cause they are ugly"

You bastard.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Next time shoot that rape thread guy,  no one will complain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Next time shoot that rape thread guy,  no one will complain.

perfect.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
The poll sucks ........

you need better choices
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are you guys PETA?

I'd shoot a feral cat cause it upsets the game population and I don't hunt anymore.
I would never shoot a collared cat even though it is doing the same damage, it's somebodys pet

OK, now its blatantly obvious you missed the feral cat thread.  Repeat after me:

"I will not talk about killing animals on ARFCOM"
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That's my whole reason for hunting them. I don't eat them, but I give them to whoever I'm hunting with. I love shooting them when they're way up in a tree, so I can hear that "whump" when they hit the ground.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Do you have a hunting license?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Regarding hunting, if I won't eat it, I won't kill it.  Always been that way I guess.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Do you have a hunting license?

license.. I dont need no stinking license!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Regarding hunting, if I won't eat it, I won't kill it.  Always been that way I guess.

So you would not shoot a coyote or would you eat a coyote?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I would think most peoples problem with this would be the fact you were at the range. The range is for shooting targets not for hunting. I guess I think along the lines of Hokie, if I don't eat it I don't shoot it. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you would not shoot a coyote or would you eat a coyote?

I have no beef with coyotes
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  

OMG - let me be the first to say that that is freakin sick!

Well I guess I'd be pissed and take them out if they destroyed my crops or whatever too though.  Seriously, what do groundhogs do?  (serious question, I have no idea)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  

Well I guess I'd be pissed and take them out if they destroyed my crops or whatever too though.  Seriously, what do groundhogs do?  (serious question, I have no idea)

They are VERY destructive to crops and domestic livestock.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey FatMcNasty....

Post some pics!  

They dig mounds and holes in the fields. Livestock steps in the holes and breaks legs. Farm harvisting equipment hit the mounds, breaking blades. They also eat the crops.

As for coyotes. They taste just like ferrel cat. A little Teriyaki sauce on a stick. MMMM good eats!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top