Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Was frying up some thinly sliced spam when a friend stopped by. He starts going off on how his father in law cooks the stuff and it's nasty. On and on how bad it is. I finally ask, have you actually tried some? Had just finished a plate and set some in front of him. He took a small bit expecting to justify his conclusion. Just said damn. Ate another piece and started cussing. Was going to have to call his father in law and apologize. So don't claim it's bad if you have not tried any.

Though it is one of the few things Andrew Zimmerman will not eat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Cube it up and fry it with onions and small red potatoes cut into quarters.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Though it is one of the few things Andrew Zimmerman will not eat.
View Quote

Saw the episode where he went to Hawaii and was gagging while choking down a Spam musubi.    

Funny, when he'll eat the turds out of a gnat's ass and proclaim how great they are.  

ETA:  I cut it up in 1/2" cubes and put it on my salad sometimes.  Stay away from the Teriyaki Spam.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Open can, feed to dog, keeps the dog from bothering you will you grill the steaks.
View Quote

Dog farts up storm and gets the runs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya'll are missng out.  

Open faces spam sandwiches:
Grate spam
Grate 1 medium white onion
Grate cheddar cheese

Mix together and place on hamburger bun halves - bake at 425. Till nice and golden!

YOU ARE WELCOME.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Growing up we were fairly poor. To make the dollar stretch mom made a spread from Spam.

Run through a food grinder:
1 can of Spam cut into chunks.
equal amount of Velveeta cheese chunked
1 large dill pickle
1/4 cup onion

Mix well and add enough Mayo to hold mixture together. Spread generously on hamburger buns and wrap each in foil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes till the cheese is melted and the outside of bun is toasty. Serve hot.

It was a cheap way to feed a family but being poor we ate it all to often. We learned to work hard so we'd never be so poor we'd have to eat it again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
open the can and enjoy

mostly I slice and fry it

spam egg cheese sammich

spam pepper jack cheese sammich

spam burger

cut up in mac and cheese

fry and eat like bacon

straight from the can on a cracker with mild cheddar
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
One can of Spam, diced.
Two cups shredded cheddar cheese
One box Jiffy Cornbread Mix.

Mix all together and bake per instructions on cornbread mix.  You can make as in a cake pan or in muffin pan both work.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure does. Sounds like tomorrow mornings breakfast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cut a slice about 1/2" thick and fry it up

Place on toasted English muffin and top with pepper jack cheese, a fried egg, and hot sauce of choice.

Or you can fry up little cubes of it and mix it with finely cut sticks of carrots and scallions and mix into ramen of choice.

The muffin, egg, cheese spam recipe sounds great!

Sure does. Sounds like tomorrow mornings breakfast.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Back from Wegmans - picked up two cans of the lite.  I plan to make a delicious breakfast tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Huh, I actually like teriyaki SPAM.

Teriyaki SPAM omelet:

Half a can, fried

6 eggs

Half a brick of pepper jack cheese (approx. 4 oz)

Crushed red pepper and black pepper to taste

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I knew I would get that reaction. To be honest, it is a comfort and "bring back memories" food for me.
My dad whom I miss dearly would  throw a couple of cans and tortillas in the truck on our hunting trips. He would just cut it up and grill it. You could smel it a few acres away sitting in the deer blind.
My dad lived off of it while in the Pacific fighting the Japanese.
He still liked it afterwards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew I would get that reaction. To be honest, it is a comfort and "bring back memories" food for me.
My dad whom I miss dearly would  throw a couple of cans and tortillas in the truck on our hunting trips. He would just cut it up and grill it. You could smel it a few acres away sitting in the deer blind.
My dad lived off of it while in the Pacific fighting the Japanese.
He still liked it afterwards.

As mediocre as SPAM is in the comfort of a home, few things taste as good as SPAM cooked over a fire outdoors.

Sorry your Dad isn't still around.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Spam Musubi, sushi style, click pic for recipe.  One does not need the fancy shape maker.  Just add rice in the middle of the nori/nodi(dried seaweed paper), add your spam and fold it up.
<a href="http://www.cooks.com/recipe/37vo0pj/break-da-mouth-spam-musubi.html" target="_blank">http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/images/spam_musubi/spam_tulip_treet_3musubi1.jpg</a>

Try cutting up and dicing 1 inch cubes of spam and add to your chili.

Spam wonton, click pick for recipe.  Eating this with various sauces is great.  Sometimes I go for basic BBQ sauces and other times I like it with some Thai sweet chili sauce.
<a href="http://www.spam.com/recipes/wonderful-spam-wontons" target="_blank">http://cdn.spam.com/img/recipe1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Tried the Musubi in Hawaii a couple of years ago. They sell it in convenience stores there just like sausage biscuits and beef jerky are sold here. It was...interesting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Cube up the spam into smallish cubes

dice up some onion (white, yellow or sweet)

with some sesame oil or bacon fat fry the spam and onions in large skillet (I use cast iron) or wok on medium heat until crispy and onions are soft, remove from pan and set aside

I like to use canned peas to save time, carrots and broccoli are also good, use whatever you like, cook them first by steaming or one of those frozen microwave bags. I usually just stick with peas to keep it simple

crack 1-2 eggs depending on portions and preference into the pan

destroy the yolk a spread with the bottom of your spatula then with the edge of the spatula "slice" the egg into thin strips, just move the spatula side to side before the egg really starts to cook. You aren't scrambling them, but you don't want just a fried egg either, if you do it right you should have strips of egg that have distinct white and yellow sections

Once the egg strips firm up a bit (just enough that the veggies don't mix in, you want the egg to stay separate) add veggies and return spam and onion back to pan, stir to combine

add day old cooked rice (day old is important) and a small amount of soy sauce

toss to combine and heat through, add pepper

I don't have specific amounts, it's really just a guideline I follow but it's delicious and it gets requested at home often

and it's cheap

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Last fall we fried up some spam and it made us all sick as dogs. Never again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
If I happen to roll by it in the store, I just wonder who actually buys it and why.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top