BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.
The funny thing is they made them semi-transperant, did they think nobody would ever notice batteries in these lights???
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the batteries actually cost more than the light did.

On a positive note- I left it on for 18 hours and it was still on when I came in the shop. In total darkness it would be helpful and on a new battery it's ok. It sure beats replacing batteries in the Surefire from using it for minor little jobs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I wondered how it worked
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a shake light it works ok to me.

Lasts a couple ,inuites between shaking.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Stainless,

With the new info since my last post: I wonder if it's a counterfeit product.

Do you see any trademarks on the components inside?...excpet the batteries?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have one of those that was given to us as a "Safety Prize" at work.  That was almost 2 years ago and it still works.

And it works as advertised.  That is, you shake it and it charges the battery.

Of course, you just about have to strike a match to see if it's lit.

But other than that, it works just fine.

Go to the Home Depot and have them put it in a paint shaker for a while................................

Then get a beer and do the same thing, and give it to a buddy to drink......................
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Nightstar II shakelight and it's pretty nice.  It has a reflector and crap to send most of the light out the front, actually does charge a capacitor by shaking (there's a novel thing for a shakelight to do, lol).  Unlike alot of the cheaper lights it also have repelling magnets at the ends of the tube, so as you shake it the large magnet does not bang against rubber bumpers or anything at the ends of it's travel.  It's pretty cool IMO.  I got it to keep in my car so I never have to worry about batteries, I really like it for that.  

They aren't as bright and don't throw the beam anywhere near as far as a regular light, but if you're like me and hate buying batteries and such they're nice.  Make a great emergency light to keep on your bedstand or whatever to.  I suspect some of the quality made cranking lights w/ mutliple LEDs may be even better.

Target carries the Nightstar lights BTW, they have the full size one that I purchased and also the CS model I think it is that is more compact.  Fairly pricey too though really, but if you've already got a nice flashlight this one can fill a different niche IMO.

*Edit - Forgot the mention the thing runs for quite awhile without reshaking too.  When it dims enough to notice a quick couple shakes and it's back to full brightness.  I'm very happy w/ the Nightstar II...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The shake flashlight I own has a capacitor in it to store the charge.

So...umm... YMMV.

ETA: And the case is entirely see-through.

Mine too. Mine look nothing like the one in the picture.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea I fell for it...

But I only paid $2 for mine at the Bargin Barn.

FREE
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
All you people knocking these things fail to realize just how handy these would be if your power went out and you needed help locating your maglite.        

Yep, I keep one upstairs and one down stairs for use when the power is out.

If you're relying on batteries for power, you've probably never had power out for over a week thanks to a hurricane.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a shake flash light but didn't pay $8 for it. It uses a capacitor rather than a battery.

same here my mom got me one for christmas i took it apart because it did not work
I resoldered a wire and now it works ill only rin for about 10 minutes if you do not shake it
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a shake flash light but didn't pay $8 for it. It uses a capacitor rather than a battery.

same here my mom got me one for christmas i took it apart because it did not work
I resoldered a wire and now it works ill only rin for about 10 minutes if you do not shake it

Did you use the Cold Heat soldering tool?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you use the Cold Heat soldering tool?

LOL my buddy has one of those it does work kinda but its dead in about 30 seconds
can't solder much with something AA powered

on a side note it is seriouslly funny that someone went through the trouble to make a counterfit  $5 flashlight    
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So I've been shaking mine like a retard for no reason this whole time?

OMG that's a funny post....

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the same flashlight except mine (actually I have 2) has some extra parts.  The copper wire on mine is wound about a thousand times more than yours.  The magnet is actually real.  Perhaps someone else on here can explain what the other little parts are that mine has.  I guess the factory ran out of parts and made a quick fix on yours just to make it work.  I paid $12 on ebay for 2 including shipping.  Sounds like a lot with so many people saying they paid less.  I have actually been very happy with the purchase.  First day I got them I turned them on, shook them a little and kept them on for 2 days.  Almost no light after 18 hours but I just wanted to make sure the batteries were completely dead.  I shook the flashlight for about 2 minutes and guess what.  It worked again for another few hours.  Not very bright but this is not the type of flashlight you use to light up a field.  I just use mine to search around in my truck or apartment.  Not  high quality but it works.  When I took it apart for the first time I was amazed the tiny wires did not break from just the shaking action.  This is not a flashlight to replace all other flashlights but if I wanted my 200 lumen Surfire 9p to shine for just 10 hours it would cost me over $100 in batteries.  

This pictures do not show the O-ring that goes around the lense.  I guess it is to make it partially waterproof but I will not be testing it.  

http://photos.imageevent.com/nsvx13/mydigitalcamerapics/websize/p2.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/nsvx13/mydigitalcamerapics/websize/p1.JPG
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got mine today, I ordered 5 of them and paid about $2.00 each for them. I was planning on giving them away as gifts but now I don't want to insult anyone with it. Mine is bright but now I'm not going to just run it down to see how long it will last.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy crap, quite a difference between them.
One is the real thing and the other is a dollar store knock off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think the batteries actually cost more than the light did.

On a positive note- I left it on for 18 hours and it was still on when I came in the shop. In total darkness it would be helpful and on a new battery it's ok. It sure beats replacing batteries in the Surefire from using it for minor little jobs.

Try out the Nite Eyes LED conversion for the 2aa Mini Mag... it is a BILLION TIMES better.

Quoted:
Stainless,

With the new info since my last post: I wonder if it's a counterfeit product.

Do you see any trademarks on the components inside?...excpet the batteries?

Not a damn thing.

Quoted:
All you people knocking these things fail to realize just how handy these would be if your power went out and you needed help locating your magliteone of my many lights that are a TRILLION times better than a m*g piece of shit.  spend ONE day at candle power forums... you will never buy a m*g again.  this excludes mag mods..        

HAHAHHAHA.  That's what my EDC (surefire L4) is for, or my LED light on my key ring.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I got one a year or so ago...
Stupid bouncy thing inside gets stuck so it doesn't work...
These things suck...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I want to let you all know about one of the funniest rip-offs I have ever seen… the “Shake” flashlight.  I got this as a gift, ( I would NEVER buy this POS on my own).

Wow... I have the same one. Mine was a gift, too. In fact, I never bothered to open that package until I saw this thread.

Mine doesn't have the copper sleeve, but it has a lot more windings... about half the amount that seems to be on the one illustrated by zx9rpilot. The difference is the wires don't even connect to anything.

Thanks for posting this. I'll be sure to pass it on.

BTW, I did get the "Nite Ize" LED upgrade for the Mini Maglite (from your other thread). Hopefully this will be the end of having to keep relacing bulbs. If it makes the batteries last longer, that's an added bonus.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top