Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ben Gay will take care of the problem, just apply liberally and the itching will go away in moments.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doctor in the house!!

All of the stuff mentioned thus far are possibilities.

Stuff that I'd suggest.

Go ahead and treat for scabies . Permethrin is cheap and a one-time overnight treatment has a 90=% cure rate. Should kill chiggers, too.

If the permethrin fails then you need to try copious antifungals. I've seen some horrible cases of recalcitrant fungal infections. Hint: if its just in the groin probably tinea cruris (jock itch), if its on and in the folds of the scrotum, may be yeast infection which would call require slightly different meds.

If antifungals fail, then try steroids which should improve problems like eczema.

Last resort biopsy and culture.

Happy scratchin.

Vindicated...and by a Doctor no less. That's where I'd start.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
did you try Gold Bond medicated powder?

try rubbing a lot of it on you sack. don't be afraid, buy the extra strength and use lots of it.

Damn!........you trying to kill the boy?

If you try that you'll only try it once.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You may have a problem with dry skin.  The areas you describe have thin skin and a hot shower will cause the skin to be even dryer.  I had this problem a few years ago and finally discovered that putting a good body oil on the areas stopped the itching.  I use Nutrigena sessame oil.  powder only dries you out more.

You might try Vagisil Cream too.  It has the highest amount of anti-itch ingredient available without a prescription on the market.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Doesn't sound like poison ivy/oak at all.

Maybe, maybe not. from what I read online, microscopic amounts of urishol can remain under you fingernails for quite some time.

A year?  I don't think so dude. And why only specific locations recurrently?

Extremely unlikely to be chiggers this time of year.

Read the hot linked article in this thread about chiggers. Could be something to it.

I don't need to read it. Extremely unlikey that is the problem.

Eczema is a real possibility.
Crotch is a common area for fungal infections, ie crotchrot/jock itch/ tinea cruris.

The itching is also behind my ears and also around both calves. I asked my doctor a if it could be eczema, and he said no.

Okay

Others also.

Histamine release will make most itches worse as will hot water to the area. Might feel good at first, worse later. And will tend to dry out skin.

Is there a rash?

Yes, occasionally.

And?
It looks how?
And where is the rash?

Drainage?

No, thank God no.
Scale?

No.
dry?

Yes, very. Could be from all the hot H2O though.

Well, it might just be dry skin around the ears and it is common around the calves as well.

And it is possible it is more than one thing given various locations.

Do you do a good job of rinsing shampoo and soap off?

Sores?

If I itch too hard.  
Anything?

Where exactly does it itch?
Exactly?

Around my genitals, ears and calves.

Where?
When I said exactly, that is what I meant.

Do you shower daily?

UHHH...yeah.
Sit in wet or damp clothes? Underwear?
Swimming?

Not normally. I have the usual amount of sweat around my boys after playing hard just like any other American male.

Might be fungal there and different thing around the ears.  Maybe

Have you been putting anything on it?

Soap, Hydrocortizone, Zanfel, some other prescription cream that doesn't work.

I would discourage using various things.
First, it will make diagnosis more difficult and make resolution almost impossible.
Steroid creams will make a fungal skin infection worse.
Zanfel is a waste other than to dry the shit out of your skin, even damaging it.
Other prescription cream????

BTW, I wouldn't rec excessive washing with soap. Definitely clean is okay but soaps will damage skin if applied long enough.  

A lot of questions. You might consider a dermatologist as someone recommended.

Now, I do agree with the guy who mentioned scabies as being a possibility but it doesn't really fit. Usually there are some sores, tracts/tunneling, etc

Tough call without seeing.
If you come to northern WI I will look at it!
For free.

Avoid all the different creams and shit.
Lay off all the hot water.
Try not to scratch, makes itching worse.

Don't hold me to this but what I would do with this limited information is:

Eucerin around ears, probably calves.
Keep crotch reasonably clean without going overboard, shower immediately after activities which cause sweating, etc.
Use an antifungal powder such as tinactin on the crotch only.

Keep socks and underwear clean, don't re-use.
Try putting socks on before underwear.

How are your feet BTW?

Have you been tested for diabetes?
Lay off the sweets a little. If your diet is shitty with a lot of sodas etc your blood sugar might run a little high and fungi/yeast likes that.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
What I will tell you is absolutely do not go putting all the shit that everyone here is telling you to use on your skin.  You will have a mess.

If you don't want to do what I am telling you and want to try the permethrin that would be fairly reasonable.  Again though, scabies usually leaves more evidence.  Sometimes can be subtle though.  I wouldn't be totally opposed to trying it however.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe try Zinc oxide with aloe vera or Desitin, A&D ointment or Calamine lotion ?
All this stuff is over the counter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
As  I posted earlier ... do the scabies treatment.  

When I looked at all the nasty pictures on the internet of scabies I was doubtful since my rash didn't look like what I was seeing in all the medical pictures.   But ... after several months of itching and rash and then being relieved in less than a week by the scabies medication ... I am postive that is what I had ...  definitely give it a shot ...

I also had a single patch under one of my armpits that burned like hell when putting deoderant on ... that went away with treatment as well ..
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
could be Junk Lice
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
What you need to get is a bottle of "Oil of Oregano". It comes in a very tiny bottle because it's potent. Apply it drop by drop to the affected areas and spread it around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you never change your pants....you might could re-infect yourself with chiggers indefinitely.

If my nutsack itched for as long as yours....I would spend every dime I had to get it fixed.

Go to a dermatologist.

The article on chiggers said that unless you wash your pants in HOT water, you will still have chiggers on them. washing them in cold (as I wash jeans) does them no good.

Somehow I doubt the problem is that some Asian-American homeboys have been living in your pants for the pas...

Oh, wait. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies! I knew I would get some answers if I asked the Arfcom Army.

Special thanks go to Twire and Dr. Jarhead. I think I'm going to try the scabies medicine first as it sounds more and more like my symptoms. From there I will acquire some Eucerin to test that theory.

As for Dr. Jarheads other questions, I never re-use socks or underwear, I usually put underwear on before socks, my feet are fine, never been tested for diabetes. I could lose a couple of pounds, but I'm not really overweight. Stocky yes, fat no. I do like sweets though.

Thanks everyone. I had some laughs tonight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
tag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#15]
the only thing you're itching for is attention.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top