Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

ETA:  How could a law such as this possibly pass judicial review?

Same way Obamacare did.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I assumed they were doing this already.

Pretty much this.  I really dont care about the gov, I worry more about the wife finding out how much I've spent on guns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to add "Harry Reid likes young boys with smooth skin" as a sigline to all my emails from now on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I tell you what, George Orwell got it right....

all except the date.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Meh..NSA, FBI, DHS, CIA is already reading email, listening to phone calls, online social media, google searches, pretty much everything.

In fact this very post will be perused. Nothing new here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their basis for the lower expectation of privacy was because of the plain text nature of email communication. That's why I brought up the example of them looking at secured ISP storage (such as Google Docs and other encrypted cloud storage).

That, and the fact that it's stored virtually forever in multiple, uncontrollable places.  I'm actually not familiar with Google Docs, but it doesn't sound like the same thing as email.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
H*ll, they've been doing that since the Pat - riot Act.  The Constitution has been dead for a while now.  Long live our beloved leader in the Whine Haus (and those who pull his strings)!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's how the government works:

1. ruin something and create disaster

2. declare state of emergency

3. expand power to cope with emergency

4. go to no. 1

these teeth that the citizens are putting into the government's head are going to chew their ass off one day

how hard is it to understand?

It's just one simgle loop of logic, the whole system of government was originally formed around the idea, and yet nobody understands it.

this is the first country in history that died of stupidity

+1
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
News flash!!!  EMAIL IS NOT PRIVATE!!!

Well, you know, you can get some Pretty Good Privacy

nope.. they put in a back door for the feds.

Even using 2.6.2 or the cyber knights templar version?   I doubt it.

I'm sure no one has found the sekrit backdoor in the open source implementations like GnuPG . . .
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I would cynically state that this bill only gives our current (and former) admin the legal justification for what they are already doing (see, e.g., Utah Datacenter), I nonetheless sent the following to my congresscritters. To the extent that you haven't abandoned the legislative process already, I'd suggest sending the same or similar to your own.  

I was deeply disturbed to learn that Patrick Leahy’s already unconstitutional “internet security legislation” has been quietly rewritten to give a large number of government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law. More specifically, it is my understanding that this bill now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, and that a vote on his bill is scheduled for next week.

News reports on ths subject indicate that Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies –– including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission –– to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.

This is an abrupt departure from Leahy's earlier approach, which required police to obtain a search warrant backed by probable cause before they could read the contents of e-mail or other communications. Further, it is a direct contradiction to prior press reports about this supposedly “necessary” bill, which boasted that it “provides enhanced privacy protections for American consumers by... requiring that the government obtain a search warrant.”

I would remind you of the text of the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I would further remind you of the oath that you took when you were elected to your current office on behalf of the citizens of the State of Alabama:

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Finally, I would remind you of the sage words of one our most memorable Founding Fathers, Ben Franklin, who wisely wrote more than two centuries ago:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Simply put, there is no legitimate government purpose for this unconstitutional legislation. To the extent that legitimate suspicion or law enforcement need arises, electronically stored information can already be accessed through a valid search warrant. Simply allowing a large number of already power-hungry, executive-lead agencies to simply snoop, search and invade the privacy of the citizens that you serve without notice, however, would be a direct violation of the oath which you took to protect our liberties and freedoms against all enemies foreign and domestic. I must accordingly demand that you take all steps, including filibuster, to defeat this unnecessary and unconscionable bill.

Did you send it via email?

Yes. And fax.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm long on:

PGP (GnuGP)
Thunderbird for Firefox
Tor Browser
Truecrypt
Startpage

It's better than nothing...

Legally you can now be compelled to surrender your passwords.

That word, I do not think that word means what you (or the US courts) think it means....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm long on:

PGP (GnuGP)
Thunderbird for Firefox
Tor Browser
Truecrypt
Startpage

That word, I do not think that word means what you (or the US courts) think it means....

What if you can't remember them?

Seriously, I've had to delete TrueCrypt partitions because I couldn't remember my own passwords.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm long on:

PGP (GnuGP)
Thunderbird for Firefox
Tor Browser
Truecrypt
Startpage

What if you can't remember them?

Seriously, I've had to delete TrueCrypt partitions because I couldn't remember my own passwords.

In the UK they lock you up till you remember.  I presume the US will do the same.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm long on:

PGP (GnuGP)
Thunderbird for Firefox
Tor Browser
Truecrypt
Startpage

Didn't SCOTUS just rule on this and overturn the appellate? The end result being you couldn't be compelled to reveal it.. I might be completely wrong here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm long on:

PGP (GnuGP)

Thunderbird for Firefox

Tor Browser

Truecrypt

Startpage

I have no doubt that we as a country have sunken to such depths.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#17]
We can't let the turr'ists win!  Remember, 9/11.  That's the golden ticket!  Besides, you don't have anything to hide, do you???
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#18]
YG BX LR SD KX CP EG CG MO RF YT RM ZL AY VZ 

KQ RU QU MC TC YG BO YB LB HM GT SN YV CM YB

YV RU MK OV IP SZ RF CL EG ER PL SN GE BC LG

PS IP VI UO EG ER RU IX BV YG CM FL PD PC GT

SP ZF YZ TG KN DF PG MK UT KX
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm long on:

PGP (GnuGP)
Thunderbird for Firefox
Tor Browser
Truecrypt
Startpage

Didn't SCOTUS just rule on this and overturn the appellate? The end result being you couldn't be compelled to reveal it.. I might be completely wrong here.

The cases are in flux.   Here's one that seems to get it "right"

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/201112268.pdf

ETA:  one of the problems with these cases is they always involve unsavory dirtbag defendants.

Just imagine, though, that the government is trying to get Goatboy's encrypted drive with all the personal identities of AR15.com registered members and you'll see the impact of this decision.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

YG BX LR SD KX CP EG CG MO RF YT RM ZL AY VZ KQ RU QU MC TC YG BO YB LB HM GT SN YV CM YB YV RU MK OV IP SZ RF CL EG ER PL SN GE BC LG PS IP VI UO EG ER RU IX BV YG CM FL PD PC GT SP ZF YZ TG KN DF PG MK UT KX

http://russells.freeshell.org/enigma/
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
YG BX LR SD KX CP EG CG MO RF YT RM ZL AY VZ KQ RU QU MC TC YG BO YB LB HM GT SN YV CM YB YV RU MK OV IP SZ RF CL EG ER PL SN GE BC LG PS IP VI UO EG ER RU IX BV YG CM FL PD PC GT SP ZF YZ TG KN DF PG MK UT KX

http://russells.freeshell.org/enigma/

That's actually encrypted in old fashioned PLAYFAIR cipher.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

Oh to hell with that! Just look around at anything and everything as long as it remotely has to do with terrorism or the War on Drugs (tm).

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  How could a law such as this possibly pass judicial review?

Same way Obamacare did.

Iterational exceptions through case law. They find the initial exception to a civil right, then build on that over the period of 100+ years. Eventually they almost completely forget about, and then contradict the original civil right. This is very apparent when you look at the ways vehicles are treated under fourth amendment jurisprudence as compared to vessels in our intracoastal; two completely different interpretations.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Good. Hopefully encryption will become more common. Half the reason I don't bother with email encryption is that nobody has it setup on the other end. At least with AIM most folks at my office use encryption.

Then again, I would like to see something like this sold at Walmart for $29.95.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised what a federal subpoena could already do.

Not relevant to this discussion.  This is non warrant searching.

And deserving of a smack down of epic levels.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#26]
My facebook? Sanitized...I keep it clean. The only possible derogatory information that could be gleaned by an employer or investigator is that I like beer and target shooting.
My email? I don't correspond with shady characters.
Google docs? I don't use it.
Twitter? I don't use it.
I also try not to post shady shit here...it is that simple.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good. Hopefully encryption will become more common. Half the reason I don't bother with email encryption is that nobody has it setup on the other end. At least with AIM most folks at my office use encryption.

Then again, I would like to see something like this sold at Walmart for $29.95.

The problem is idiots would complain, and it wouldn't cost 29.95, it'd cost 29.96, so walmart would shitcan it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I find irony in the fact that "Leaky Leahy" is proposing this.....

Not really when you realize that liberals suffer from self-hatred and projection.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised what a federal subpoena could already do.

Not so much surprised as thoroughly disgusted.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

Oh to hell with that! Just look around at anything and everything as long as it remotely has to do with terrorism or the War on Drugs (tm).

And 11 years ago, if you'd said this is where the WoT would lead, you were called a pacifist peace of shit terrorist loving traitor.

We've got what we deserve.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top