Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There is a Dept. of the Air Force, Army and Navy. Hmmmm no Dept of the Marine Corp. Oh yeah that's right.....Dept. of the Navy pays the checks for the USMC. Now go guard the base while the Navy guy go out drinking and womanize. HEHEHEHEHE
View Quote

Yes, the USMC is part of the Dept. of the Navy - THE MEN'S DEPARTMENT!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I read somewhere that if you put a marine in a completely sealed and padded room (no windows, etc.) with 2 steel ball bearings, he'll lose one and break the other. That's ingenuity for ya! I see a lot of terms on this site that I haven't seen in years, and some of them bring back memories that leave me in tears, either from good or bad memories. Those who have never been in have really missed out on something. We have seen things, and been places, that even now can only be found in history books. And no, if I'M on the field, NOONE gets left behind: if we go down, we go down together! (life's only a movie, remember?)
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By uncle buck:

Aren't they part of the Department of Transportation. Are you the guys responsible for all those orange barrels? Well, Are you?
View Quote

Sorry Uncle Buck, the orange barrels aren't my department, although we are part of the DOT, and the all to forgotten fifth branch of the military.

We ARE responsible for the red and green buoys, and every other aid to navigation in all waterways that are navigable by commercial traffic.  Not to mention the thousands of SAR cases, drug busts, national defense, Loran-C and GPS sites, and every other mission congress can come up with, without additional funding, for the entire United States and it's territories.  Did I mention we also have fewer personnel than the NYPD.

Semper Paratus (and proud of it)
View Quote

Weren't a couple of Coastie coxswains awarded the Medal of Honor for saving a lot of lives during the clusterf*&%ed landing on Tarawa? Good to go, gents.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

------------------
"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit constitutes firepower."
--General Merritt “Red Mike” Edson, USMC
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
A bit of Motivation from Washington, DC:

Of the many monuments to the Nation's Fallen there is no other more powerful memorial than the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in Washington.

There is a flag near the entrance of the memorial.  At its base are the seals of all four military services. Every morning, the Marines from the Marine Barracks at 8th & I polish the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

The other seals have not been touched since the Memorial was built.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1624780&a=13246411&p=50256576[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1624780&a=13246411&p=50256579[/img]

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
--George Orwell

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
University of
Sams
Music and
Culture

It is true the Marines are a department of the Navy, The mens department.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#7]
[b]U[/b]
[b]S[/b]uckers
[b]M[/b]issed
[b]C[/b]hristmas

[b]U[/b]nlimited
[b]S[/b]hit
[b]M[/b]ass
[b]C[/b]onfusion

[b]U[/b]
[b]S[/b]igned the
[b]M[/b]otherf%^$ing
[b]C[/b]ontract

I've heard 'em all.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-------------------
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes, and the other is the Bill of Rights."
--Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler USMC

As I got older, I've found out that that is true.  You would never have convinced of that when I was a well-indoctrinated (by the television) youth, however.  Follow the money.  Read and heed his quote from the previous post.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[b]U[/b]
[b]S[/b]uckers
[b]M[/b]issed
[b]C[/b]hristmas

[b]U[/b]nlimited
[b]S[/b]hit
[b]M[/b]ass
[b]C[/b]onfusion

[b]U[/b]
[b]S[/b]igned the
[b]M[/b]otherf%^$ing
[b]C[/b]ontract

I've heard 'em all.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-------------------
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes, and the other is the Bill of Rights."
--Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC
View Quote

You forgot;

U ncle
S ams
M arijuana
C lub
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Of the many monuments to the Nation's Fallen there is no other more powerful memorial than the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in Washington.

There is a flag near the entrance of the memorial.  At its base are the seals of all four military services. Every morning, the Marines from the Marine Barracks at 8th & I polish the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

The other seals have not been touched since the Memorial was built.

View Quote

That pretty much sums up how Marines are different.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Grunt, from the Battle of the Bulge;

Ground
Replacements,
UNTrained.

What's the difference between the Marines and the Boy Scouts?

Boy Scouts have adult leadership!

Go Army Infantry!

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
rifleman2000
You know what boy scouts and the army have in common?
Both their uniforms are covered with so many useless patches and do I need to mention the berets?

If I where in the army I wouldn't want to compare Marine leadership to the modern leadership of the Army.   Here some questions you should do some research on before you want to run your comparison.
1) Why are the Marines the only service that don't have coed recruit training.
2) What service is the only that wasn't berated by congress for lying to it in 99 about their capabilities
3) What service do most other service members say "well I almost joined, but"
4) What service "constitute about 20 percent of the military's active ground maneuver battalions, 20 percent of the active fighter/attack squadrons, 17 percent of the attack helicopter, and nearly one third of the ground combat service support in the active forces for about six percent of the defense budget?"
5) What service made its recruit training harder while the other services made theirs easier?
6) What service made its PFT harder while the others made theirs easier.
7) What service trains all it personnel as infantrymen?
8) What service do some experts like Col David Hackworth comes to mind (He was US Army if I remember right) say do an adequate job training its troops?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
rifleman2000
Both their uniforms are covered with so many useless patches and do I need to mention the berets?

If I where in the army I wouldn't want to compare Marine leadership to the modern leadership of the Army.   Here some questions you should do some research on before you want to run your comparison.
2) What service is the only that wasn't berated by congress for lying to it in 99 about their capabilities
4) What service "constitute about 20 percent of the military's active ground maneuver battalions, 20 percent of the active fighter/attack squadrons, 17 percent of the attack helicopter, and nearly one third of the ground combat service support in the active forces for about six percent of the defense budget?"
5) What service made its recruit training harder while the other services made theirs easier?
8) What service do some experts like Col David Hackworth comes to mind (He was US Army if I remember right) say do an adequate job training its troops?
View Quote

Uhhh...that would be my Corps, your Corps, our Corps, Marine Corps!

[size=6][b][red]United[/red][gold]States[/gold][red]Marine[/red][gold]Corps[/gold][/b][/size=6]

"The mission of the Marine rifle squad is to locate, close with and [b][size=4]destroy[/size=4][/b] the enemy through fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemy's assault through fire and close combat."
--Guidebook for Marines

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Uhhh...that would be my Corps, your Corps, our Corps, Marine Corps!

[size=6][b][red]United[/red][gold]States[/gold][red]Marine[/red][gold]Corps[/gold][/b][/size=6]

"The mission of the Marine rifle squad is to locate, close with and [b][size=4]destroy[/size=4][/b] the enemy through fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemy's assault through fire and close combat."
--Guidebook for Marines

View Quote

[size=5][b]Oo-rah... JARHEAD_22!!!

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
i dont mean to flame anyone
but it seemed the all the marine recruter made as the main sticking point of his trying to get me to join was how i would be a marine

didnt mention the training much dint mention the pay much just was "YOU WILL BE A MARINE"

maybe i just lucked out and got a POS recruiter
i hope that was the case
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
cyrax777

That is the whole point on why the Marine Corps is different.  As I jokingly tell the army officers I work with "The Marine Corps is less a military organization, than it is a cult."  We don't particular want people whose primary purpose in life is to get college money.  I think that was one of the biggest draw backs in the recruiting campaigns of the Army and the Navy.  They say come in get training in a skill you can use in the outside world and thousands of dollars for a college education and get out.  Although we have similar veterans benefits, etc., to the other services our approach is that "do you have what it takes to be one of us?"   Now ask yourself who has the right attitude, someone who wants to be a Warrior or someone who wants to get an edge on life.  A while back their was a study showing that one of the best recruiting items out there a few year back was the movie FMJ.  Although Kubrick had meant it as an antiwar movie, it was responsible for a lot recruits joining the Marines.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
rifleman2000

View Quote

OUCH!  OUCH!  OUCH!  YOU'RE HURTIN' ME!
Relax guys, I have plenty of friends in the Corps and we always play rough.  Don't take it personal.  

I am willing to admit Army Infantry training (still all male) is copying training techniques from the Marine Corps, something I really support.  

Don't think I'm going to back off and play nice now!

-How do you confuse a Marine?
-Put him in a round room and tell him to pee in a corner.
-How does he confuse you back?
-Asks which corner!

Go ARMY!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Good to go riflemen
I expect all the service to talk shit about one another it is human nature.  And if you belong to an organization that you don't think is the best you may want to consider doing something else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#19]
ARMY:

[b]A[/b]in't
[b]R[/b]eady to be
[b]M[/b]arines
[b]Y[/b]et

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-------------------
"The Marine Corps does more to promote world peace than all the Ben&Jerry's ice cream ever made."
--P. J. O'Rourke
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ARMY:

[b]A[/b]in't
[b]R[/b]eady to be
[b]M[/b]arines
[b]Y[/b]et

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-------------------
"The Marine Corps does more to promote world peace than all the Ben&Jerry's ice cream ever made."
--P. J. O'Rourke
View Quote

How about US ARMY backwards,
Y-es
M-y
R-etarded
A-ss
S-igned
U-p

or try the NAVY
N-ever
A-gain
V-olunteer
Y-ourself

Hoorah!  ARMY! [grenade]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a good one for all you Marines out there.  At the university I attend, we have a large military presence and we had a ceremony on the main lawn for Veteran's Day.  I am sad to say (as a former Redleg and future Infantryman) that the Army leadership (go Transportation corp!) tried to move the ceremony inside because of light rain!  Geniunely embarressed, I thanked my NAVY and MARINE buddies, it was their leadership that moved it outside.

We had three formations, Army, Marines and Navy with a joint color guard (I carried the National Colors, very proudly) and the university president came out in front of everyone with the unit officers CARRYING an UMBRELLA!  Then in his speech he QUOTED THE MARINE CORPS MOTTO AS SEMPER PARATUS!  Even I was offended!  Then a detachment of Marine riflemen fired a 21 gun salute (cool) and a Navy bugler played taps.

As a side note, the only officer here I trust is the single Marine officer on campus.  The Army officers here are all washed-up and play to many damn games.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#22]
thank god for the Air Force-Fly everywhere you go and have air conditioning and good food too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
cyrax777

That is the whole point on why the Marine Corps is different.  As I jokingly tell the army officers I work with "The Marine Corps is less a military organization, than it is a cult."  We don't particular want people whose primary purpose in life is to get college money.  I think that was one of the biggest draw backs in the recruiting campaigns of the Army and the Navy.  They say come in get training in a skill you can use in the outside world and thousands of dollars for a college education and get out.  Although we have similar veterans benefits, etc., to the other services our approach is that "do you have what it takes to be one of us?"   Now ask yourself who has the right attitude, someone who wants to be a Warrior or someone who wants to get an edge on life.  A while back their was a study showing that one of the best recruiting items out there a few year back was the movie FMJ.  Although Kubrick had meant it as an antiwar movie, it was responsible for a lot recruits joining the Marines.
View Quote

Well said.  I remember when I enlisted.  I didn't even care about the pay. I never asked and the recruiter never bothered to tell me.  And I didn't want to enlist in a glorified Vo-Tech either.

I just wanted to be a Marine.  The Army and Air Force Recruiters tried to lure me in with promises of high tech skills and cushy jobs.  The Marine recruiter looked me up and down and said he didn't think I had what it took to be a Marine.  Naturally I was hooked.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top