PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:01:26 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By markg1117:

What you're not factoring in are taxes.  175k is more like 100k after taxes.  She has around 30k per year in loans.  So, the brings in 70k take home after taxes and loans.  Not bad but not as great as 175k sounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By markg1117:
Originally Posted By bteamleader:
Originally Posted By TrojanMan:
And that guy has six AP credits.

He's not going to have many insurmountable problems in his life, and good on him for that.

Think of how much the "business of education" wrings out of those people less academically capable and astute than our author here.  Think of how many kids, year after year, are sold a complete fabrication at enormous expense to themselves, their families, and their futures.

To give another high-performing story, a friend of mine recently got her MD.  She's making good money in a top hospital, working her tail off, living the good life...  with a $2k/mo. student loan payment.

I think it's fair to say we need doctors, and we need college education, but $2k/mo. is insane.  And she will be paying that up until her kids, which she doesn't even have yet, are ready to go to college, if not longer.

The cost of education is simply insane at every level.  It cannot continue forever.

This is a great point.  Kids need to know that if they're borrowing the money to go to school, they had better get a degree that will turn a profit.  I know a young MD who just finished her residency.  At 29 she has a base salary of $175k with a cap of around $300K if she hits her incentives.  She also has $2500 monthly loan payments.  I bet she can make due on $12,000 per month.  

On the other hand, I know guys with worthless masters degrees making coffee or tending bar.  Life is about choices, it helps to make good ones.

What you're not factoring in are taxes.  175k is more like 100k after taxes.  She has around 30k per year in loans.  So, the brings in 70k take home after taxes and loans.  Not bad but not as great as 175k sounds.

The interest on those loans is also deductible.  Which, at the front end, is most of the payment.

A. College costs a lot of money
B. Careers bring in a certain amount of money.
C. Every child in America is offered the opportunity to learn Arithmetic and simple algebra.

If someone doesn't use C to analyze A and B, and then has a bad result, I don't fucking care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 3:06:16 PM EDT by ContrarianIndicator]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Bingo.  A major correction is needed.  Cut all subsidies, & the free market will take care of the cost spiral.

Of course, given the cozy relationship between the education cabal & the federal government, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Originally Posted By TrojanMan:
And that guy has six AP credits.

He's not going to have many insurmountable problems in his life, and good on him for that.

Think of how much the "business of education" wrings out of those people less academically capable and astute than our author here.  Think of how many kids, year after year, are sold a complete fabrication at enormous expense to themselves, their families, and their futures.

To give another high-performing story, a friend of mine recently got her MD.  She's making good money in a top hospital, working her tail off, living the good life...  with a $2k/mo. student loan payment.

I think it's fair to say we need doctors, and we need college education, but $2k/mo. is insane.  And she will be paying that up until her kids, which she doesn't even have yet, are ready to go to college, if not longer.

The cost of education is simply insane at every level.  It cannot continue forever.

Bingo.  A major correction is needed.  Cut all subsidies, & the free market will take care of the cost spiral.

Of course, given the cozy relationship between the education cabal & the federal government, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Yep.

College has become a huge waste of resources and labor.
Most people who go to college shouldn't be there.
They are basically paying upwards of $60,000 for beer pong, sex and getting into drugs.

The government has directed all these people to college through subsidies and
guaranteed loans now it has almost become necessary to have a degree in order to get a job.

It's a destruction of wealth, really. The government needs to GTFO.

These people and the economy as a whole, would be significantly better off if they
didn't waste shitload of money and go deep into debt for 4 years of partying.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:14:27 PM EDT
It costs big money to even qualify, to play the game.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:27:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

There's that lack of critical thinking again.

Watch out, maybe I make more money that you think I "should"

ETA:  I don't give two shits about the College Board, or SATs, or college admissions.  I am just laughing at people whining about how something costs more than they'd like to pay, without having any underlying understanding of what is driving their costs.  It's NO DIFFERENT from saying "waaaaah - why is iTunes charging me 99 cents for a song, when the could be charging me 5 cents.  That's not fair, because Apple's CEO makes millions"  

What I DO give two shits about is critical thinking.  Too bad there was none of it in that article, or in your arguments.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Originally Posted By ScopeScar:

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:<snip>

More speculative than the Highschooler.

Has a suspiciously defensive tone also, vested interest.

There's that lack of critical thinking again.

Watch out, maybe I make more money that you think I "should"

ETA:  I don't give two shits about the College Board, or SATs, or college admissions.  I am just laughing at people whining about how something costs more than they'd like to pay, without having any underlying understanding of what is driving their costs.  It's NO DIFFERENT from saying "waaaaah - why is iTunes charging me 99 cents for a song, when the could be charging me 5 cents.  That's not fair, because Apple's CEO makes millions"  

What I DO give two shits about is critical thinking.  Too bad there was none of it in that article, or in your arguments.

I have no dog in this fight and don't care one way or another.

However, you seem to be comparing apples to oranges.

First you mention the Corvette and the then Apple. Both companies out to make money...but you are comparing them to a non-profit(supposedly).

You may be correct in you viewpoint, but you are going the wrong direction to explain it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:35:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By R2point0:
And if it isn't "warranted", what happens?  Who gets to define what is warranted and what is unwarranted?  

Why should the College Board need to justify anything?  And to whom should they justify it?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:

Originally Posted By swingset:

Originally Posted By ScopeScar:

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:He makes no actual logical argument for WHY records transfers or testing fees should be cheaper, other than some trite and juvenile point about how the CEO make a lot of money.

Actually, he does make a great point.  Why shouldn't the record transfers be electronic and very cheap?

His point that the CEO of this company earns $750,000 for essentially a monopoly service should be sufficient grounds to question why it exists.

Do you think he has access, or would be allowed to get it, to company data to analyze?

Why shouldn't the service just post scores to a central location that any interested college could simply download?  There's no reason for the fee per application model.  There's nothing lol about this.

I'll agree with this. There's nothing wrong in questioning a monopoly that performs a simple service, and seems to be profiting obscenely in a role that is supposed to be non-profit. In that way, the CEO's rather large paycheck is a reasonable question to ask...as is the complexity of what they do.

Let the folks at the CB respond and justify their intake, and output....out there for public scrutiny. If it's warranted, then fine...show it.

Kudos for the kid asking the questions.

And if it isn't "warranted", what happens?  Who gets to define what is warranted and what is unwarranted?  

Why should the College Board need to justify anything?  And to whom should they justify it?

How about the public they pretend to serve by being a non-profit? The parents and students paying them for a service that's grossly over-priced? They hold that legal status, they should fucking justify it to those whom they serve (the general public).

I don't honestly know, but from the outside it certainly seems they're a cash cow that should be more accountable to the students who fund them.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 3:42:44 PM EDT by whiskerz]
The biggest fucking I see is the thing is a monopoly . Monopolies are usually not good for the consumer . In this case the customers are forced by the system to buy the product or be shut out .

Calling the SAT guys a non profit is pure fraud .
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top