User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Makes me wish I had finished my training. I did all the PADI stuff except the final night dive to get certified. I lived on St. Croix and once I knew the dive tables my friends with boats were fine taking me diving. I personally didn't care about the actual certification. Some of my closest friends had hundreds of dives/were instructors/ so on and so forth. The solitude of diving is really hard to reproduce.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]

I just finished intro to cave a couple of months ago. It was a huge initial expense on equipment and training, but the diving is much cheaper now.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to do diving.  I looked into the class at my school, but I don't know if I'll be able to take it until next year
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd love to do diving.  I looked into the class at my school, but I don't know if I'll be able to take it until next year

If you can, do it!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just wait till you find out about rebreathers

Shut up

One thing at a time. Only have 21 dives under my weight belt

No wonder your so amped up, go to a rebreather as soon as possible,  been diving for twenty five years and sometimes I'm happy just chilling on the beach instead of waiting for everyone on the boat to figure how much weight they need or dealing with the dive master on a power trip. Still love the sport but every year you become more selective of were and when you will dive and your tolerance for stupid becomes less and less. My favorite is grand cayman I can be on a good drop off from the beach and skip the shitty boat rides, and newb herds with enough gear for an extended range cave dive.
If you go to Cozumel and you don't see the dive master doing a head count ok checking people off as they get in stay on the dam boat, no liability in Mexico, and the current is wicked awesome

Maracaibo and Barracuda for the drift, and Devil's Throat on Nitrox 32 for the win!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Nice bunch of bugs, Earl.  Reminds me of raiding the reef off the coast of Belize 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
System runnin slow.

Those are awesome pictures you posted, what were you shooting with and what depth. Last time I took a picture underwater the technology and strobes were primitive to say the least.

Thanks.  I have gone thru different systems over the years.  I currently shoot a Nikon D200 with dual Ikelite strobes but one of those may have been with an Olympus 8080 with a single strobe.  

Get close
Get Closer
Have good strobes
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been certified since 1988 and dive almost every warm weekend down here. I mainly hunt for fossils and artifacts. I've dove the Cooper River in Charleston SC, Venice FL, Panama City FL, Key Largo, the Chipola River in Marianna FL, the Flint River in Newton GA and a lot other places.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I guess I'll ask about this here instead of starting my own thread about it.  I've been diving once, on our honeymoon in Jamaica.  They offered a free dive if you're not certified, you do this 3 hour course and dive in a pool first.  Yeah, I'm sure it's poo-pooed by the certified divers on here, but I really wanted to try it, and figured I'd be fine if I could handle it.  Handled the pool fine, and headed out on the boat to a shipwreck.  The dive was in 40 ft of crystal clear water.  

Here's where it gets funky.  Jumped in the water, put my face in and grabbed the anchor rope, and FREAKED OUT.  I mean almost full blown panic attack.  Dive instructor told me quite forcefully, "Put your respirator in and get your ass down there."  Well, that worked.  Got to the bottom, and had a blast.  I loved it.  Got back on the boat and mentioned my freak out to another experienced diver, and he asked if I was afraid of heights.  Well yes, yes I am, horribly.  Makes sense now, in the clear water off Jamaica, it was like looking down a straight drop of 40 ft with nothing to stop me.  

Anyone else ever experience that?

That my friend is called perceptional narrowing and it will kill you if you are by yourself your instructor was an asshole who did not have the background or sense to care for your safety. As a Padi master instructor I'm furious when I hear about these incidents,we used to call these dives intro to death. With scuba you are not made aware of most of the dangers you are taught basic skills for basic dives as an open water diver stay within your limits and you will have a blast, get cocky and think you know it all your headed for trouble. No disrespect intended towards you but outside the us they don't care they have no liability if something happens to you your just a number that's it. Their are good shops but the bad outweighs the good, Ivie heard of intro classes to 100 ft thru a wreck in silt out conditions. Depth should be limited on these experiences and the ratios of instructor to student should be small and they should be in the water. People die all the time in less than twenty feet of water get training and be safe and enjoy a great sport.

No offense taken, trust me.  Can you expand on the "perceptional narrowing"?  What particularly makes it dangerous?  I really figured, at least afterwards, that it was my fear of heights.  Yeah, I'd heard not too many good things about intro dives like this, but I was dead set on diving, and figured I might as well go for it.  Luckily once I forced myself to go down, all went well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Planning a trip to Florida in December now that my son can get certified as a junior diver.  Wife is certified as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
i havent gone in like 15 years
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I got certified back in 2006. My open water practice dives were in a 40-50 degree rock quarry, so freezing my ass off for two days straight left a bad taste in my mouth. The only way I'm going diving is if it's hot tub temperature water.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#14]
<––––––-

Unfortunately it has been awhile due to lack of finances.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
My son and I spent a week in Roatan and it was very nice. We were at a small resort, there were about 10 divers per boat, wreck dives, reef dives, a small cave dive, night dive. Very cool and very nice, great diving off of the beach.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I got certified in high school, joined the Army and did a many a dive all over.  When I got out and went to college, I needed a 1 credit PE class, they offered diving, so I got my NAUI Master cert.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What kind of Crab is that in the First Picture???

Yellowline Arrow Crab

You never know whats under the next reef.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yellowline Arrow Crab

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_edwards_tx/image/101633154/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_edwards_tx/image/114500946/original.jpg
We saw some nice blue ones last week in Roatan.

And it's true you never know what you'll find underwater. While diving on the El Aguila wreck, me and my dive buddy were swimming around a part of the wreck, getting ready to head back up when I pointed out to him a nice big green morray eel about 4 feet infront of him in the direction he was swimming. I never saw someone hit the brakes underwater like that

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The last time I went scuba diving was in cozumel mexico in 2006.  

Basic open water, advanced open water, and nitrox certifications for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yellowline Arrow Crab

GAAAH!!!  Seeing something like that coming at your face with some pointy-ass teeth is pretty fucking scary!  

Fuckin' had nightmares about that thing for a couple days afterward!  

After chasing this 7 footer around the oil rig for 10 minutes, I began to think my perceptions have be altered a little by diving.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yellowline Arrow Crab

GAAAH!!!  Seeing something like that coming at your face with some pointy-ass teeth is pretty fucking scary!  

Fuckin' had nightmares about that thing for a couple days afterward!  

After chasing this 7 footer around the oil rig for 10 minutes, I began to think my perceptions have be altered a little by diving.

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_edwards_tx/image/76872492/original.jpg

You say that like it's a bad thing

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top